DuckFan4Life

2018-2019 NHL Catch-All

484 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

that was a Scottyesque, Prongeresque move by the Sharks.  Well done.  Another "captain" joins a team that manhandled us in the playoffs last year.

No biggy. Perry will get back to all star form, Kess will be 100%, Eaves will be 100%. BM made some big improvements himself. Nick R and of course RC will both be back. So essentially.... No worries we got this!! Besides we allowed SJ to beat  us last season, it’s obvious because we got swept. :blink:

2 people like this

7 hours ago, wataduk said:

Meh, most on this board never noticed your geographical oopsie.
I'm still trying to figure out where Zzyxx Road leads to and if I should ever get off the highway on the way to Vegas to find out.

Going south from the I-15, it goes to Soda Lake, north it goes to nowhere....the north side of the freeway exit is a “famous Romance spot” though.

It is also nicknamed the alphabet road.  Worked out there 30 years ago.

Nearby town of Baker is where motorists broke down, and didn’t have enough $$ to leave.

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/zzyzx.htm

Edited by Fowl
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

Going south from the I-15, it goes to Soda Lake, north it goes to nowhere....the north side of the freeway exit is a “famous Romance spot” though.

It is also nicknamed the alphabet road.  Worked out there 30 years ago.

Nearby town of Baker is where motorists broke down, and didn’t have enough $$ to leave.

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/zzyzx.htm

Lol Mystery solved. I now know the answer. I think I'll just continue down the I-15 on my merry way to LV and

Zzyxx Road will have to remain the road not taken for wataduk.

Thanks

Edited by wataduk
5 people like this

On 9/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, RobD360 said:

No biggy. Perry will get back to all star form, Kess will be 100%, Eaves will be 100%. BM made some big improvements himself. Nick R and of course RC will both be back. So essentially.... No worries we got this!! Besides we allowed SJ to beat  us last season, it’s obvious because we got swept. :blink:

Unfortunately unless we were able to somehow move Perry or Kesler's contracts we were pretty much unable to add another piece. Just gotta hope that Eaves comes back and remains effective, Kesler can play at some point and young guys like Kase, Montour, Lindholm, Manson, Rakell, Ritchie continue to get better and somebody like Terry, Steel or Jones become a bona fide NHL player. Also stay healthy. I mean, this team did have 100 points last season with the most (or second most?) man games lost in the league. 

4 hours ago, nieder said:

Unfortunately unless we were able to somehow move Perry or Kesler's contracts we were pretty much unable to add another piece. Just gotta hope that Eaves comes back and remains effective, Kesler can play at some point and young guys like Kase, Montour, Lindholm, Manson, Rakell, Ritchie continue to get better and somebody like Terry, Steel or Jones become a bona fide NHL player. Also stay healthy. I mean, this team did have 100 points last season with the most (or second most?) man games lost in the league. 

Yeah. Doesn’t look like another terrific start of the season. And if we are going to make the playoffs the kids NEED to step up and help get us there. However as I take my rose colored glasses off and the glare from reality burns into my pupils I see that getting into the POs will be nice but won’t mean much against a team like SJ. There is no way this team can match up with them. 

10 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Yeah. Doesn’t look like another terrific start of the season. And if we are going to make the playoffs the kids NEED to step up and help get us there. However as I take my rose colored glasses off and the glare from reality burns into my pupils I see that getting into the POs will be nice but won’t mean much against a team like SJ. There is no way this team can match up with them. 

This is true. Honestly I think San Jose is clearly the best team in the division, but almost every other team could make the playoffs. Despite not making a big splash I think this team could still finish second or third in the division. But come playoff time they will need to get very hot to beat San Jose who clearly have a better roster IMO. Though you could say the same thing about getting through the Central as I think Winnipeg, Nashville (yuck) and maybe even St. Louis have better teams.

3 hours ago, nieder said:

This is true. Honestly I think San Jose is clearly the best team in the division, but almost every other team could make the playoffs. Despite not making a big splash I think this team could still finish second or third in the division. But come playoff time they will need to get very hot to beat San Jose who clearly have a better roster IMO. Though you could say the same thing about getting through the Central as I think Winnipeg, Nashville (yuck) and maybe even St. Louis have better teams.

Yeah Jets are very good. Preds will of course be leaning heavily on Rinne. He will be 36 in Nov so just a matter of time before he runs out of steam. Hopefully his decline has already started. 

On 9/13/2018 at 0:09 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

Joe Thornton via text message when I asked him for his reaction on his team getting Erik Karlsson: ``F------ Incredible!"

On 9/13/2018 at 0:53 PM, dtsdlaw said:

This is basically a mutual gift for Karlsson and Thornton. Thornton gets to retire after winning the Cup this season and Karlsson gets Thornton's $5M added to his base salary for next season (and beyond). The definition of a win-win for these guys.

I was thinking something along these lines. It makes sense.

However that last conditional throws me off. "Signs with an Eastern Conference team". It's obviously Ottawa covering their bases. But if the Sharks go the distance without resigning him, it sounds like Ottawa knows he wants to go UFA for an Eastern team. As they don't get that first if he signs with a Western team.

8 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Yeah Jets are very good. Preds will of course be leaning heavily on Rinne. He will be 36 in Nov so just a matter of time before he runs out of steam. Hopefully his decline has already started. 

In a top 4 defenseman race, one could debate who wins between SJ and Nashville. Some think highly have the mustard cats. There was a tweet by SJ saying "Can Three players win a Norris?" with Nashville responding "No, but four can." Referring to their top four. Obviously Nashville is drunk off hot chicken and bourbon. But yah... The two damn teams (on paper) have the best defense in the League.

Should be noted that our old friend, Shea Theodore, has yet to sign a new contract with the Knights. Doesn't sound like both sides are close to a deal either.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, poum said:

In a top 4 defenseman race, one could debate who wins between SJ and Nashville. Some think highly have the mustard cats. There was a tweet by SJ saying "Can Three players win a Norris?" with Nashville responding "No, but four can." Referring to their top four. Obviously Nashville is drunk off hot chicken and bourbon. But yah... The two damn teams (on paper) have the best defense in the League.

Lol 4? I didn't know they successfully cloned Subban twice and made a trade to bring back Seth Jones. Unless the criteria changed to who has the bigger core of wussies. In which case they win and it's not even up for debate. It's a good thing too since the idea of a debate would probably have Ellis grabbing the wrong side of his face and Josi cowering for his life behind a ref.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Lol 4? I didn't know they successfully cloned Subban twice and made a trade to bring back Seth Jones. Unless the criteria changed to who has the bigger core of wussies. In which case they win and it's not even up for debate. It's a good thing too since the idea of a debate would probably have Ellis grabbing the wrong side of his face and Josi cowering for his life behind a ref.

Haha, I knew that post wouldn't slip by you. Your unmitigated dislike towards Nashville is a constant source of unparalleled entertainment.

10 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Should be noted that our old friend, Shea Theodore, has yet to sign a new contract with the Knights. Doesn't sound like both sides are close to a deal either.

That's a weird one. Vegas has the cap. Off the top of my head he's probably the best young defender on the team. On a defense that's largely paid by peanuts, relatively speaking.

Where as Nurse and the Oilers being on two different pages makes sense. Their cap is screwed. They got four defensemen making $4M+, most of whom are "bleh". If that's not his starting ask, which is already over their cap limit.

Word is Karlsson arrives in town on Tuesday. Be interested to hear if he signs that day. If he he doesn't, ohh boy. The scandale that will insue.

22 minutes ago, poum said:

Word is Karlsson arrives in town on Tuesday. Be interested to hear if he signs that day. If he he doesn't, ohh boy. The scandale that will insue.

Even if he doesn't sign an extension, San Jose still wins the deal. That is how bad of a return the Sens got.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, poum said:

That's a weird one. Vegas has the cap. Off the top of my head he's probably the best young defender on the team. On a defense that's largely paid by peanuts, relatively speaking.

Where as Nurse and the Oilers being on two different pages makes sense. Their cap is screwed. They got four defensemen making $4M+, most of whom are "bleh". If that's not his starting ask, which is already over their cap limit.

Swap for Nick?

40 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Swap for Nick?

Why not? Nurse is a great Duck in the same way Lilja was a great Duck. We couldn't have beaten the Oilers without him :ph34r:

4 people like this

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Why not? Nurse is a great Duck in the same way Lilja was a great Duck. We couldn't have beaten the Oilers without him :ph34r:

I was talking about Shea.  Two unsigneds, swap em.

17 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Even if he doesn't sign an extension, San Jose still wins the deal. That is how bad of a return the Sens got.

Not to mention they didn't dump the Bobby Ryan contract in the process. Saw a lot of speculation on that prior to the trade. Ottawa only wants to move Karlsson if the other team takes on the Ryan contract, etc... No way that was gonna happen but I do wonder what they're gonna do now. That franchise is a mess at the moment. Too bad for Bobby. Always like the guy.
They'll probably ride it out. No way they can afford to deal Bobby because they'd have to sweeten the pot with young talent.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Not to mention they didn't dump the Bobby Ryan contract in the process. Saw a lot of speculation on that prior to the trade. Ottawa only wants to move Karlsson if the other team takes on the Ryan contract, etc... No way that was gonna happen but I do wonder what they're gonna do now. That franchise is a mess at the moment. Too bad for Bobby. Always like the guy.
They'll probably ride it out. No way they can afford to deal Bobby because they'd have to sweeten the pot with young talent.

They could “sweeten the pot” by using one of the players they got in the EK trade perhaps if being stuck with his contract is too much

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Completely forgot about the Bobby contract! Why...why did they pull the trigger on this trade and not include Bobby!? There's no way San Jose makes that trade if they take on Bobby Ryan...EK had some sort of NTC right? That probably had something to do with it...any team approved by EK probably wouldn't have included Bobby.

INJURY UPDATE: #Canadiens F Nicolas Deslauriers out indefinitely after having surgery on a facial fracture suffered from a fight with #Devils F Brandon Baddock tsn.ca/1.1175083 #TSNHockey

4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

INJURY UPDATE: #Canadiens F Nicolas Deslauriers out indefinitely after having surgery on a facial fracture suffered from a fight with #Devils F Brandon Baddock tsn.ca/1.1175083 #TSNHockey

Lesson to be learned.  NHL players in preseason games should avoid scraps with minor league scrubs.

1 person likes this

On 9/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, nieder said:

That's a lot of potential first round picks going to Ottawa from San Jose.

As I say before....San Jose gave up ALOT for EK.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, RobD360 said:

They could “sweeten the pot” by using one of the players they got in the EK trade perhaps if being stuck with his contract is too much

If there's a team interested in taking on Bobby you can be sure they'll be asking for more than say De Melo to go with him. You're probably talking 1st rounders. The sens aren't in a place where they can deal away 1st round picks.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

If there's a team interested in taking on Bobby you can be sure they'll be asking for more than say De Melo to go with him. You're probably talking 1st rounders. The sens aren't in a place where they can deal away 1st round picks.

1st rounder for Bobby? ......

lol 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

1st rounder for Bobby? ......

lol 

I believe it was meant as a 1st rounder in a package with BR. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/max-domi-strangely-sucker-bombs-aaron-ekblad-preseason-game-025235229.html

Max is just like his Dad.  A couple of beads off.  If it weren’t for hockey, he’d be locked in a cell somewhere.  Violent temper and unpredictable.  Ekblad is genuinely surprised what happened.  Hope Max gets a couple of games and labeled as an offender.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Fowl said:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/max-domi-strangely-sucker-bombs-aaron-ekblad-preseason-game-025235229.html

Max is just like his Dad.  A couple of beads off.  If it weren’t for hockey, he’d be locked in a cell somewhere.  Violent temper and unpredictable.  Ekblad is genuinely surprised what happened.  Hope Max gets a couple of games and labeled as an offender.

Max Domi's hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety is slated for 12:30 pm ET today