Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

2018-2019 NHL Catch-All

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Welp...Nylander has only today or tomorrow to sign...otherwise he just sits on the shelf. Which means Toronto really only has today or tomorrow to trade him...Babcock said he believes Nylander will sign...but...he did so in a way that I wouldn't go as far to say he's "confident" in that...sounded more like he was being pressured by the media to say something so he did.

If he doesn't sign with the Leafs and they go on to win the Cup, he needs to fire then sue his agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

If he doesn't sign with the Leafs and they go on to win the Cup, he needs to fire then sue his agent.

Oh man I didn't even think of that! Yeah...Nylander really has to take that into consideration 'cause the Leafs are DEFINITELY a favorite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Welp...Nylander has only today or tomorrow to sign...otherwise he just sits on the shelf. Which means Toronto really only has today or tomorrow to trade him...Babcock said he believes Nylander will sign...but...he did so in a way that I wouldn't go as far to say he's "confident" in that...sounded more like he was being pressured by the media to say something so he did.

I don’t get how he’s better off sitting out an entire season. That’s $6m right there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, nieder said:

I don’t get how he’s better off sitting out an entire season. That’s $6m right there. 

Exactly. But the Leafs have shown they don't need him to win so really any leverage he has is basically gone now. It's on him whether he wants to be on that team or not. Doesn't sound like he's gonna budge...but...when push comes to shove...wouldn't be surprised to see him give in. I'm actually kinda shocked no one offered him an offer sheet. Or if they did that he didn't sign it. If any team really wanted to screw the Leafs over...this would have been the time. It'll be interesting to see what happens, though. Turns out he has till Saturday, 5pm ET

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure he'll sign. I'm also pretty sure they'll trade him afterwards. No way they're gonna choose Nylander over Matthews/Marner because that's basically what it comes down to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I'm pretty sure he'll sign. I'm also pretty sure they'll trade him afterwards. No way they're gonna choose Nylander over Matthews/Marner because that's basically what it comes down to.

Oh that's true. They could just trade him...unless he's looking for that NTC or NMC stuff. But that'll be interesting to see if/how that is included. Also term!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Exactly. But the Leafs have shown they don't need him to win so really any leverage he has is basically gone now. It's on him whether he wants to be on that team or not. Doesn't sound like he's gonna budge...but...when push comes to shove...wouldn't be surprised to see him give in. I'm actually kinda shocked no one offered him an offer sheet. Or if they did that he didn't sign it. If any team really wanted to screw the Leafs over...this would have been the time. It'll be interesting to see what happens, though. Turns out he has till Saturday, 5pm ET

Me too. If a team really wants him, why not just offer sheet him instead of trading away good players and prospects to get him?

I would have loved to see an offer sheet for Nylander from the Ducks. Sadly, we can't do it because we traded away our 3rd rounder in 2019 and therefore don't own the compensation picks we would need to make an offer sheet happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An offer sheet wouldn’t make sense with the Nylander situation. He wants big time money, which means the amount of money it would take to get him to sign would cost 4 1st round draft picks. Toronto would let him go in a heartbeat for that return, and if he did manage to sign for less then Toronto would just say thank you and match it. Nylander thinks he’s worth 8 million a year on a long term contract, and Toronto doesn’t want to pay him that. At least not yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spencer_12 said:

An offer sheet wouldn’t make sense with the Nylander situation. He wants big time money, which means the amount of money it would take to get him to sign would cost 4 1st round draft picks. Toronto would let him go in a heartbeat for that return, and if he did manage to sign for less then Toronto would just say thank you and match it. Nylander thinks he’s worth 8 million a year on a long term contract, and Toronto doesn’t want to pay him that. At least not yet.

That's way overestimating what it would take to get him. Four first rounders means the offer sheet has an AAV of $10,148,302+. For comparison, Draisaitl's contract last season, after posting back-to-back 77 and 71 point seasons, was 8 years at $8.5M AAV. "Big time money" for Nylander doesn't mean McJesus money. It probably means Draisaitl money. And even that figure is high for a guy with two 61 point seasons on his resume. His expectation is probably more like $7.5M/season.

With that, I think a team could bag him with an ROR-type offer sheet, where you back-load a 2-year offer sheet so that his next qualifying offer will be the salary he really wants long-term. Something like a 2-year/$14M deal where the first year is $5.5M and the second is $7.5M. That would put his offer sheet AAV at $6.5M, which nets Toronto a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd. It would also guarantee Nylander would make at least $7.5M on his next RFA deal. I don't think Toronto could handle a $6.5M cap hit for Nylander next season since Matthews, Marner, Kapanen and Gardiner all need new contracts this coming summer, and they certainly wouldn't be able to handle a $7.5M cap hit long term on Nylander's next RFA deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

That's way overestimating what it would take to get him. Four first rounders means the offer sheet has an AAV of $10,148,302+. For comparison, Draisaitl's contract last season, after posting back-to-back 77 and 71 point seasons, was 8 years at $8.5M AAV. "Big time money" for Nylander doesn't mean McJesus money. It probably means Draisaitl money. And even that figure is high for a guy with two 61 point seasons on his resume. His expectation is probably more like $7.5M/season.

With that, I think a team could bag him with an ROR-type offer sheet, where you back-load a 2-year offer sheet so that his next qualifying offer will be the salary he really wants long-term. Something like a 2-year/$14M deal where the first year is $5.5M and the second is $7.5M. That would put his offer sheet AAV at $6.5M, which nets Toronto a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd. It would also guarantee Nylander would make at least $7.5M on his next RFA deal. I don't think Toronto could handle a $6.5M cap hit for Nylander next season since Matthews, Marner, Kapanen and Gardiner all need new contracts this coming summer, and they certainly wouldn't be able to handle a $7.5M cap hit long term on Nylander's next RFA deal.

Yeah, I would think he's asking Draisitle money, too. And the Leafs want to pay $6 probably. They have been very clear that his value ISN'T $6, but they want him to take a discount so they can sign Matthews/Marner what they are worth. They probably aren't putting it THAT way...but, if they had already signed Matthews and HE took a discount...Nylander would be in a different position. But matthews is gonna get McDavid money...and is deserved. Honestly, there just isn't room for Nylander on that team. They should just trade him lol

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

That's way overestimating what it would take to get him. Four first rounders means the offer sheet has an AAV of $10,148,302+. For comparison, Draisaitl's contract last season, after posting back-to-back 77 and 71 point seasons, was 8 years at $8.5M AAV. "Big time money" for Nylander doesn't mean McJesus money. It probably means Draisaitl money. And even that figure is high for a guy with two 61 point seasons on his resume. His expectation is probably more like $7.5M/season.

With that, I think a team could bag him with an ROR-type offer sheet, where you back-load a 2-year offer sheet so that his next qualifying offer will be the salary he really wants long-term. Something like a 2-year/$14M deal where the first year is $5.5M and the second is $7.5M. That would put his offer sheet AAV at $6.5M, which nets Toronto a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd. It would also guarantee Nylander would make at least $7.5M on his next RFA deal. I don't think Toronto could handle a $6.5M cap hit for Nylander next season since Matthews, Marner, Kapanen and Gardiner all need new contracts this coming summer, and they certainly wouldn't be able to handle a $7.5M cap hit long term on Nylander's next RFA deal.

I read this posted by someone else on another forum:

People always forget that offer sheet compensation is calculated at max 5 years. So if a team signed Nylander to an $8 million offer sheet for 7 years, the total contract is $56 million but offer sheet compensation is calculated off of 5. So 56/5 = 11.2 AAV, or 4 first round picks. I guess a team could offer a shorter contract or lower value but if Nylander was willing to sign that he already would have with Toronto.”

I also think Toronto matches your 2 year offer sheet idea even if Nylander was willing to sign it. Most people expect Gardiner to be gone, and I doubt Toronto takes those offer sheet picks for Nylander.  

Edited by Spencer_12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Dubas is bluffing here. He’s always known that he cant sign Nylander AND also give out huge contracts to Marner and Mathews AND Kapanen the following year from the beginning. I actually don’t believe that Nylander wants $8 mill either. I think Dubas wants to play the public and it’s fans into thinking it’s Nylander that doesn’t want to play ball not Dubas. And also why should Nylander sign to some lowball offer from Dubas anyways when his favorite boys are going to get massive contracts? And even if Nylander signed with Tor he would prob still be the one holding the short stick when Dubas needs to trade someone because he can’t afford all those expensive contracts.

Listen. Dubas is a smart kid and knows that it is better to deal away an asset that he won’t be able to keep now and instead try to swing a deal to bring in something his team needs like a good defenseman instead who costs less than 5mill a year. He knows that he has a good team with great offense already (without Nylander) and that missing piece is for the backend. If he really is smart he will acquire that defensive piece for Nylander by tomorrow.  With a good trade tomorrow, Tor will be a solid cup contender (they already are). In fact I think he’s sitting on the trade transaction and waiting till the last minute because he knows that all the other teams’ trades are hinging on Nylander and so it’s a way to possibly screw over other teams by limiting their trade window.

My prediction is that he gets traded and signs for far less on another team than what we have been supposedly reading.

We shouldn’t always believe what these GMs or even players say publicly anyways they rarely tell us the truth. It’s always roses and peaches and they always have the best things to say about each other which is B-S that video that was leaked from the OTT players is the real deal. The truth is only told behind the scenes. 

Wow. What a rant.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I think Dubas is bluffing here. He’s always known that he cant sign Nylander AND also give out huge contracts to Marner and Mathews AND Kapanen the following year from the beginning. I actually don’t believe that Nylander wants $8 mill either. I think Dubas wants to play the public and it’s fans into thinking it’s Nylander that doesn’t want to play ball not Dubas. And also why should Nylander sign to some lowball offer from Dubas anyways when his favorite boys are going to get massive contracts? And even if Nylander signed with Tor he would prob still be the one holding the short stick when Dubas needs to trade someone because he can’t afford all those expensive contracts.

Listen. Dubas is a smart kid and knows that it is better to deal away an asset that he won’t be able to keep now and instead try to swing a deal to bring in something his team needs like a good defenseman instead who costs less than 5mill a year. He knows that he has a good team with great offense already (without Nylander) and that missing piece is for the backend. If he really is smart he will acquire that defensive piece for Nylander by tomorrow.  With a good trade tomorrow, Tor will be a solid cup contender (they already are). In fact I think he’s sitting on the trade transaction and waiting till the last minute because he knows that all the other teams’ trades are hinging on Nylander and so it’s a way to possibly screw over other teams by limiting their trade window.

My prediction is that he gets traded and signs for far less on another team than what we have been supposedly reading.

We shouldn’t always believe what these GMs or even players say publicly anyways they rarely tell us the truth. It’s always roses and peaches and they always have the best things to say about each other which is B-S that video that was leaked from the OTT players is the real deal. The truth is only told behind the scenes. 

Wow. What a rant.....

I agree. I would think the trade makes the most sense, too. But...and unless I'm misunderstanding something...he would need to trade Nylander AND he would need to sign with that new team in the span of the next 2 hours...and unless teams have been talking to Nylander...I don't see how that happens. And I'm pretty sure if teams have been talking to Nylander this would have been leaked by now.

In 2 hours, unless he's signed with Toronto, no GM will be interested. I think right now Nylander will sign the offer and then he'll be traded. Which I think is what you're predicting, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

E.K overrated imo

He's not what the Sharks needed...if they needed an EK type player to win the cup they would have won it with Burns in 2016...

But to be fair, EK is the kind of guy that will be clutch in the playoffs...so...Sharks are probably thinking they just need to make the playoffs and then see the full power of EK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I agree. I would think the trade makes the most sense, too. But...and unless I'm misunderstanding something...he would need to trade Nylander AND he would need to sign with that new team in the span of the next 2 hours...and unless teams have been talking to Nylander...I don't see how that happens. And I'm pretty sure if teams have been talking to Nylander this would have been leaked by now.

In 2 hours, unless he's signed with Toronto, no GM will be interested. I think right now Nylander will sign the offer and then he'll be traded. Which I think is what you're predicting, right?

Either way he will be traded, yes. He won’t play with Tor again. 

Regarding the timeline for trade and sign. I don’t know exactly but it would seem to me that Tor can trade him up to 2pm pacific time and the team he gets traded to has more time to sign him or Nylander is signed by Tor and then traded. 

Under 1 hour to go. I keep refreshing my internet to see if anything has happened yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This only solidifies the fact that either he or Marner or Mathews ((or Kapanen) gets traded. Impossible to keep them all. But having them all 3 play for this season is pretty good too. They are cup contender for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Nylander caved a bit. Understandable considering it was either that or no NHL hockey. Toronto did pretty well here. 1 year deal or a 2-3 bridge deal would have been bad for Toronto if Nylander continued his performance or even got better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Toronto gave him just under 25 million in signing bonus money according to Pierre Lebrun. 

6 x $6.9M for Nylander

First year salary is pro rated $10M salary (6.77 M) plus a full $2M signing bonus. Net number of $8.77M. AAV of $10.2M. In out years, the AAV is $6.996M. In year two, base salary is $700K, SB of $8.3M. In remaining years, $2.5M in base salary plus $3.5M SB.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1068988011872841728

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1068990736668839936

 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...