Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

2018-2019 NHL Catch-All

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

That Nylander contract was a mistake. His cap hit falls considerably next season but considering all the offensive weapons they already have, it's real hard justifying that kind of money for a heavily sheltered middle six winger (on their team anyway) after the Leafs already showed they could be successful without him. They blew that one big time. I said it in the GDT a few days ago but that bottom pairing of Zaitsev and Gardiner is garbage and I can already picture the entire city of Toronto turning on them 3 games into the first round.

Speaking of garbage and mistakes, that's three seasons in a row where Trashville makes a point to remind the world Cody McClown is somehow still in the NHL. 

they'll need him.  they still have cap space!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone see that 3 on 3 ot rangers against the Bruins? That is some fantastic hockey from the point of view of fans. Sure there were mistakes, but just to watch that action... makes me sad we're watching what's currently on display for the ducks.... 😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Anyone see that 3 on 3 ot rangers against the Bruins? That is some fantastic hockey from the point of view of fans. Sure there were mistakes, but just to watch that action... makes me sad we're watching what's currently on display for the ducks.... 😠

I saw it. It was one of the most exciting  3v3 I seen.. I still don't like the format but you can't argue it was definitely a nail biter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 6:49 PM, Drake12 said:

I'm impressed at how much front loading in signing bonuses is built in. Toronto will have to paaaayyyyyy to keep him as a UFA when that's up.

Modus operandi.

McJesus. The more recent Kovalchuk. It's the new cool thing to do.

I believe there is an element of cap circumvention involved but I can't recall why that is at the moment. There is a reason why signing bonuses are so high while base salary is stupid low.

[edit] Thinking it through, if the player gets traded before a certain date (free agency?), the team who acquires the player is on the hook for the full signing bonus. I think.

Also the signing bonuses are an insurance package for players for the upcoming NHL/NHLPA contracts. Everyone with signing bonuses are guaranteed that pay during a lockout. If a lockout happens Matthews gets millions from bonuses while missing out some $750K base salary. The horror!

 

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, signing bonuses are mainly for the lockout. I don't see much, if any, advantage for the team. This is interesting though for the fact that many teams will still have to pay hefty paychecks even if the season is lost. This might be something that might tip the scales to prevent a lockout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching the Pittsburgh/New York game and uh.. what the hell are those new Penguins sweaters? I swear, yellow sweaters should be banned from hockey. If the game was played on grass or hardwood it wouldn't be bad. It literally hurts to look at against the brightness of a white rink though. There's a reason why Boston switched to black sweaters decades ago and never looked back. At least Pittsburgh still has black sleeves and pants to mute the colour a bit. Mustard City could learn a thing or two (or y'know, just rebrand altogether). Kudos to the Penguins for reclaiming the retina damage look from them I guess. I'm gonna need sunglasses to finish this game either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kucherov is tearing up the league! He's running away like Usain Bolt who's looking back and laughing. This is however likely his best season and peak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Kucherov is tearing up the league! He's running away like Usain Bolt who's looking back and laughing. This is however likely his best season and peak. 

Tampa better represent the East this year in the SCF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow...I gotta say...Tavares got a brutal reception in Long Island...

But those "TR91TOR" signs are pretty brilliant! The fact that it ends with TOR..aka Toronto...is pretty clever I must say

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calgary has to be the jankiest top seed the western conference has had in years. I can't see them making it past the second round. First round even, unless they're able to hang onto the top pacific seed and face a trash wild card team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Calgary has to be the jankiest top seed the western conference has had in years. I can't see them making it past the second round. First round even, unless they're able to hang onto the top pacific seed and face a trash wild card team. 

They might get past round 1, but their goaltending is so shaky.  All it's going to take is one bad game and things will spiral out of control.  Rittich was awful tonight, and he's the GOOD goalie.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

They might get past round 1, but their goaltending is so shaky.  All it's going to take is one bad game and things will spiral out of control.  Rittich was awful tonight, and he's the GOOD goalie.

Out in 5 - First Round. IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 3:10 PM, DUCKSDOC said:

Out in 5 - First Round. IMHO

Yeah I second that. You need goaltending to come up big in the playoffs and they just don't have it. They're a deceptive top seed.

Was also just looking at the east and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tampa Bay/Columbus first round...and that would be the most interesting one to watch if you ask me!

The far and away best team in the league, clear "favorite" versus the team that has EVERYTHING to prove...and desperately, more than any other team in the league, needs a playoff series victory. And needs to prove it NOW. This post season. Man that would be fascinating to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Myuyum said:

Ritchie fined for actions in Ducks game against Canadiens. olol

Explain. What did he do and was it worth it? 

I missed that game and of course the Ducks start scoring shots like it's a Bonanza shootout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, poum said:

Explain. What did he do and was it worth it? 

I missed that game and of course the Ducks start scoring shots like it's a Bonanza shootout.

If you open the link, there is a gif of the infraction.

Edited by Myuyum
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tampa is in a class of their own. It's basically like watching what the 2013 Blackhawks did during the regular season except over a full 82 games this time. I at least thought Toronto would put up a fight tonight. At this point it would be a disappointment if Tampa doesn't win the Cup in under 20 games. Of course this is hockey so watch one of the most dominant teams we've seen in years flame out in the second round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Tampa is in a class of their own. It's basically like watching what the 2013 Blackhawks did during the regular season except over a full 82 games this time. I at least thought Toronto would put up a fight tonight. At this point it would be a disappointment if Tampa doesn't win the Cup in under 20 games. Of course this is hockey so watch one of the most dominant teams we've seen in years flame out in the second round.

Couple that with the BJ's getting shut out 0:2 in NYI with all the deadline stuff they did and it makes one fun postseason this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Tampa is in a class of their own. It's basically like watching what the 2013 Blackhawks did during the regular season except over a full 82 games this time. I at least thought Toronto would put up a fight tonight. At this point it would be a disappointment if Tampa doesn't win the Cup in under 20 games. Of course this is hockey so watch one of the most dominant teams we've seen in years flame out in the second round.

I really hope they can pull it of but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. The Playoffs can be weird sometimes. I'd love to see a maple leafs-islanders series with the Islanders winning. Nothing against Toronto or Tavares but it would be funny.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PR_NHL The NHL is aware of reports that a homophobic slur was used during the Maple Leafs-Lightning game. The League is investigating the incident and will have no further comment until this investigation is completed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

@PR_NHL The NHL is aware of reports that a homophobic slur was used during the Maple Leafs-Lightning game. The League is investigating the incident and will have no further comment until this investigation is completed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although defensive Leaf fans are some of the biggest crazies out there, they might be onto something. It really does sound like 2 separate voices converging at an unfortunate time in the video. Apparently the Lightning bench was yelling "rag it" (hold onto the puck?) as Reilly screamed the original 4 letter f-bomb. I've never heard "rag it" in my life though. It's pretty amusing how Leaf fans have spent the night tearing up the internet looking for examples of that term being used in a hockey context. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

Although defensive Leaf fans are some of the biggest crazies out there, they might be onto something. It really does sound like 2 separate voices converging at an unfortunate time in the video. Apparently the Lightning bench was yelling "rag it" (hold onto the puck?) as Reilly screamed the original 4 letter f-bomb. I've never heard "rag it" in my life though. It's pretty amusing how Leaf fans have spent the night tearing up the internet looking for examples of that term being used in a hockey context. 

I've heard "rag it" dozens of times during a hockey game.  Ahlers uses it with some frequency as in "Fowler rags it back into the defensive zone."  Not having ever played, it's only something I've ever heard announcers use, but it wouldn't surprise me if players used it as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Although defensive Leaf fans are some of the biggest crazies out there, they might be onto something. It really does sound like 2 separate voices converging at an unfortunate time in the video. Apparently the Lightning bench was yelling "rag it" (hold onto the puck?) as Reilly screamed the original 4 letter f-bomb. I've never heard "rag it" in my life though. It's pretty amusing how Leaf fans have spent the night tearing up the internet looking for examples of that term being used in a hockey context. 

The whole thing was a big load of nothing that really shouldn't have been reported on until the investigation was completed. 

The most disappointing thing are all the comments from people saying things like 'who cares if he said it, harden up snowflakes'. It's kinda sad that society has yet to move past childish insults and derogatory comments aimed at specific groups.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, nieder said:

The whole thing was a big load of nothing that really shouldn't have been reported on until the investigation was completed. 

The most disappointing thing are all the comments from people saying things like 'who cares if he said it, harden up snowflakes'. It's kinda sad that society has yet to move past childish insults and derogatory comments aimed at specific groups.

Agree. But I would like to add that on social media, Reilly was being slammed and assumed guilty without proof. All it took was an accusation that he said something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...