Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

2018-2019 NHL Catch-All

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Their defense is still a work in progress, which could submarine their Cup chances.  As you mentioned, Reilly is the only guy they have signed beyond this season, with Ceci ($4.5M), Muzzin ($4M) and Barrie ($2.75M due to retained salary by Colorado) all pending UFAs. But if I were a betting man, I'd put money on them moving on from Ceci next season and then eventually trading Nylander for a top-4 defender. That would give them plenty of cap space to fill other holes. Toronto front-loaded Nylander's contract, seemingly with the expectation that they would eventually trade him after year one - i.e. Toronto already paid him $12M in the first year of his contract and another $8.3M in signing bonus on July 1, 2019, so he's only due another $700K in salary for the rest of this season and $6M for the next four seasons after that. That's $21M/$45M that Toronto has already paid him in the first 12 months. And because Toronto has paid so much of that contract up front, it's going to be easier to move it to create cap space. I also think the writing's on the wall for Nylander after they re-signed Kapanen. Marner slides in as the #1 RW and Kapenen as the #2 RW, which probably puts Nylander's $6.92M cap hit on a plane to another city. Now it's just a matter of when.

All that said, I think 2020-21 is going to be Toronto's year. Too many pieces still to shuffle in 2019-2020. Next year should be rock solid for them.

Their D is pretty solid with Reilly, Muzzin and Barrie IMO. That's why I believe it should happen this season. And I'm sure leafs fans are praying Reilly or Muzzin won't get hurt in The Playoffs. That team is an offensive juggernaut but when you meet a good defensive team (Boston) you may be watching another early exit.

If Muzzin and Barrie are looking for raises next season and Barrie certainly will they're toast.
Let's say Marner signs for 9 mil (I'd be surprised if it's only that but just for fun) and Barrie is looking for 7 mil (same with Marner, he's probably looking for more depending on what kind of season he has) they pay 45 mil for 5 players. Add Freddie and Reilly's deals and that's 55 mil for 7 guys. Imagine the cap rising to 85 mil that leaves 30 mil for 16 players (23 man roster). That's an average of 1.88 mil per player.

And that LTIR trick won't work anymore when clarkson and horton become UFA's unless they take on some other LTIR contracts.

Not saying they can't ice a competitive team after the upcoming season but somebody will have to go. My money is also on Nylander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How good would this Forward line be...Zucker-Getzlaf-Laline. Defence Corp consist of Risto-Faulk....Goaltender is John Gibson.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys think Gibson's next contract will be? Did you guys see the contacts goalies have gotten lately? Sure he hasn't won a vezina yet but I would have to think it's going to be 7 + at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

What do you guys think Gibson's next contract will be? Did you guys see the contacts goalies have gotten lately? Sure he hasn't won a vezina yet but I would have to think it's going to be 7 + at this point. 

He's signed for 7 more years.  We could have two lockouts between now and then.  There's no way to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that you can add Fenton to the list of bad GM’s fired, Murray has fewer ones to hide behind lol

42 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

What do you guys think Gibson's next contract will be? Did you guys see the contacts goalies have gotten lately? Sure he hasn't won a vezina yet but I would have to think it's going to be 7 + at this point. 

I doubt that at age 34, with the style he plays that he’ll be demanding a pay increase. Let’s worry about the next 8 seasons first lol. Although, I’d take his contract over Vasilevskiy’s in a heartbeat right now.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Now that you can add Fenton to the list of bad GM’s fired, Murray has fewer ones to hide behind lol

I doubt that at age 34, with the style he plays that he’ll be demanding a pay increase. Let’s worry about the next 8 seasons first lol. Although, I’d take his contract over Vasilevskiy’s in a heartbeat right now.

Lol I forgot he signed! I thought he was still on the bridge contact never mind. 🤭

Oh yeah, then a total steal compared to some of these other guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 2:14 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Now that you can add Fenton to the list of bad GM’s fired, Murray has fewer ones to hide behind lol

I doubt that at age 34, with the style he plays that he’ll be demanding a pay increase. Let’s worry about the next 8 seasons first lol. Although, I’d take his contract over Vasilevskiy’s in a heartbeat right now.

What the hell was that thing?! It makes no sense. Have we not learned to not sign goalies for life? It sucks for them, it's a fickle position. But 8 years at at $9.5M is crazy talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, poum said:

What the hell was that thing?! It makes no sense. Have we not learned to not sign goalies for life? It sucks for them, it's a fickle position. But 8 years at at $9.5M is crazy talk.

Hey, it's better than the Bobrovsky deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, poum said:

What the hell was that thing?! It makes no sense. Have we not learned to not sign goalies for life? It sucks for them, it's a fickle position. But 8 years at at $9.5M is crazy talk.

Yeah. That’s just the going rate for a Vezina winning goaltender. Gibson getting robbed of a nomination, let alone the award saved the Ducks from paying him 9+ mil per year. The Bobrovsky contract is exponentially worse lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibson honestly has one of the best contracts in hockey. It's mind boggling how he's not even the third highest paid player on our team.

Edited by PetrSykora

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 6:16 PM, PetrSykora said:

Gibson honestly has one of the best contracts in hockey. It's mind boggling how he's not even the third highest paid player on our team.

It helps that Lindholm and Rakell were essentially signed for the same price as a donkey ride down the Grand Canyon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else getting more and more worried as every calendar day passes without Phaneuf signing elsewhere. The Ducks only have 6 defensemen (per the Ducks official site) and no 7th.

Certainly a kid could swoop in during Camp. Larsson may have a case for a full time spot while Guhl/Holzer slides to 7th.

It's GMformelyHCBM that we're talking about. One half of the defense could well be Holzer, MDZ, and Phanuef.

Edited by poum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 8:26 AM, gorbachav5 said:

Hey, it's better than the Bobrovsky deal.

Whoa! I don't know if I actually looked at that contract before. That is a true nightmare. The last two years of the contract when it hits NTC status, salary base is still roughly $6M at the age of 36.

On the other hand, at least cap circumventing isn't a thing. That's nice to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, poum said:

Anyone else getting more and more worried as every calendar day passes without Phaneuf signing elsewhere. The Ducks only have 6 defensemen (per the Ducks official site) and no 7th.

Certainly a kid could swoop in during Camp. Larsson may have a case for a full time spot while Guhl/Holzer slides to 7th.

It's GMformelyHCBM that we're talking about. One half of the defense could well be Holzer, MDZ, and Phanuef.

For some reason our new Finnish player (Jakanpaa?) isn't listed. And I hope Mahura can be a regular in the line-up.
If Phaneuf is one year/1 mil deal I wouldn't mind it too much. He brings toughness. Something we lack. Unfortunately that's all he brings.

I don't think it'll happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, poum said:

Anyone else getting more and more worried as every calendar day passes without Phaneuf signing elsewhere. The Ducks only have 6 defensemen (per the Ducks official site) and no 7th.

Certainly a kid could swoop in during Camp. Larsson may have a case for a full time spot while Guhl/Holzer slides to 7th.

It's GMformelyHCBM that we're talking about. One half of the defense could well be Holzer, MDZ, and Phanuef.

Don't do that to me.  If we sign Phaneuf, I might not watch a game all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, poum said:

Anyone else getting more and more worried as every calendar day passes without Phaneuf signing elsewhere. The Ducks only have 6 defensemen (per the Ducks official site) and no 7th.

Certainly a kid could swoop in during Camp. Larsson may have a case for a full time spot while Guhl/Holzer slides to 7th.

It's GMformelyHCBM that we're talking about. One half of the defense could well be Holzer, MDZ, and Phanuef.

Are you suggesting our Ducks take a chance in Signing our Captain's longtime Rival and enemy?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Are you suggesting our Ducks take a chance in Signing our Captain's longtime Rival and enemy?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

No. Nooooo... The word horrified comes to mind but doesn't accurately reflect the true extent of the horror.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, poum said:

No. Nooooo... The word horrified comes to mind but doesn't accurately reflect the true extent of the horror.

Ducks should sign maybe look at trading some players nothing wrong in helping young Ducks groom and ready for their role. Also I am eager to see How Zucker does for this upcoming season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Not gonna lie...LOVING that Sabres 50th anniversary logo

It's great but I just wish they'd go back to wearing that bright royal blue from the 70s instead of the drab navy blue almost half the league already wears today. Still, it could be a lot worse. Case in point:

EByb_jeXUAASgFC?format=jpg&name=large

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 2:52 PM, Jasoaks said:

Not gonna lie...LOVING that Sabres 50th anniversary logo

It's pretty Cool...makes you wonder what Ducks 50th Logo will be like in Gold.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

It's pretty Cool...makes you wonder what Ducks 50th Logo will be like in Gold.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

it could look awesome!! only another 24 years to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

it could look awesome!! only another 24 years to go!

Imagine the Ducks using Original Logo in Gold that would be AWESOME.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't want to start a new thread for this random third hand story, so I'm leaving it here.

A friend of mine works as a sound engineer, anything from from world tours with notable names to local punk rock bands. The local punk rock band is why I'm posting. A bass player (Ducks fan) from a local So Cal band was a driver for clients. One night he ended up having a few drinks with the Dallas Stars after taking them to their hotel and called out Steve Ott for a fight with the Ducks, what I'm assuming was the Ott-Moen debacle.

Long story short, the Stars players didn't defend Ott and tipped their driver in excess.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 5:40 AM, poum said:

Didn't want to start a new thread for this random third hand story, so I'm leaving it here.

A friend of mine works as a sound engineer, anything from from world tours with notable names to local punk rock bands. The local punk rock band is why I'm posting. A bass player (Ducks fan) from a local So Cal band was a driver for clients. One night he ended up having a few drinks with the Dallas Stars after taking them to their hotel and called out Steve Ott for a fight with the Ducks, what I'm assuming was the Ott-Moen debacle.

Long story short, the Stars players didn't defend Ott and tipped their driver in excess.

 

Sounds to me Ott was not well liked by his teammates back then.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...