The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

2018-2019 NHL Catch-All

17 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Maple Leafs just committed robbery in getting Tyson Barrie.

definitely an upgrade.  huh.

Clearing up the air on Pavelski

Kevin Kurz: Clearing up some notes on Joe Pavelski.

Pavelski didn’t leave the San Jose Sharks for the money. doesn’t believe that he received a concrete offer from the Sharks at all.

He was looking for a three-year deal and the Sharks would not do that.

If there were to have offered him a two-year deal at $6 million, that is $9 million less then what he got from the Dallas Stars.

I understand some of this is pure speculation. So I think he wanted to stay but if they never offered him a contract then that's weird. He was a 30 goal scorer and their captain. If they give Patrick M (couldn't figure out how to spell the last name so gave up lol) a contact idk. Unless he signs for cheap it would be a weird move.

But what would be even crazier would be if Patrick signs with Dallas. 🤔😂

the two year thing is related to the ED.  the rest doesn't make a lot of sense.

Wait wait wait...so...the Leafs now have Ceci AND Barrie???

Hm...well, their D just got better...man, some teams really got better this off-season...

Leafs, Panthers, Devils, Rangers...I'm sure others I can't think of...

Dallas I feel like didn't really address their real issue on defense...I don't believe not scoring enough goals has ever really been their problem...

Arizona...not many changes but adding one of the best goal scorers in the past 10 years certainly helps!

Pictured: James Neal and Milan Lucic pose for a photo together moments after being traded for one another

two-garbage-cans-A1FG5F.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

Pictured: James Neal and Milan Lucic pose for a photo together moments after being traded for one another

Well played.  I'd take these garbage cans over either of those guys.

17 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

I was trying to think of a stupid roundabout way to describe this whole situation and you summed it up perfectly.

First interesting hockey news we had in awhile and it's... This.

lol@edomton for retaining. Only $750K. But they really do need all the money they can't get.

1 hour ago, poum said:

I was trying to think of a stupid roundabout way to describe this whole situation and you summed it up perfectly.

First interesting hockey news we had in awhile and it's... This.

lol@edomton for retaining. Only $750K. But they really do need all the money they can't get.

It's definitely funny but I think that the trade makes sense for both teams. Lucic can potentially make a bigger impact playing a third line role on a better Calgary team while Neal (who still has much more offensive upside than Lucic) has a chance to find his game playing with McJesus and allowing the Oilers to play Draisaitl away from him. A change of scenery was the only option, but oh man, are those contracts awful.

16 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It's definitely funny but I think that the trade makes sense for both teams. Lucic can potentially make a bigger impact playing a third line role on a better Calgary team while Neal (who still has much more offensive upside than Lucic) has a chance to find his game playing with McJesus and allowing the Oilers to play Draisaitl away from him. A change of scenery was the only option, but oh man, are those contracts awful.

Chiarelli was hilarious, I'm gonna miss the guy. He did wonders for the Edmonton Oilers in the worse kinda way. Unfortunately, I do agree with you. The change of scenery will work out in the Oilers favor. For whatever reason Neal was ass in Calgary. Being paired with McJ or Draistal will probably up his game back to a 30g scorer.  Calgary gets screwed. No idea why they did this. To protect Johnny ShortSh*t? Good luck with that.

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

And add in the goalie swap...where the Oilers really made the mistake here...Talbot could still bounce back and be solid in Calgary...

So, I'd say overall...both teams lost lol

• Like 1

What the heck is Toronto doing taking back Clarkson’s contract and doing Vegas a huge favor?

Vegas will soon be set to re-sign Gusev and then I think it’ll be game over in the West. They are going to be so nasty.

This move actually provides Toronto with enough capspace to sign Marner after the season starts. With horton & clarkson on LTIR they can exceed the cap by 10.5mil.

I have nothing against toronto but if they don't win The Cup next season I'm gonna cry from laughing. So far I'm actually impressed by dubas (apart from overpaying for matthews) and if he can pull of the Marner contract in this fashion kudos to him. But what are they going to do when clarkson & horton become UFA's next season? On top of that they have no D man under contract apart from reilly. And Barrie won't sign a 5mil deal.

If they win The Cup it's all worth it but if not they're gonna be in cap hell without a Cup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

This move actually provides Toronto with enough capspace to sign Marner after the season starts. With horton & clarkson on LTIR they can exceed the cap by 10.5mil.

I have nothing against toronto but if they don't win The Cup next season I'm gonna cry from laughing. So far I'm actually impressed by dubas (apart from overpaying for matthews) and if he can pull of the Marner contract in this fashion kudos to him. But what are they going to do when clarkson & horton become UFA's next season? On top of that they have no D man under contract apart from reilly. And Barrie won't sign a 5mil deal.

If they win The Cup it's all worth it but if not they're gonna be in cap hell without a Cup.

Their defense is still a work in progress, which could submarine their Cup chances.  As you mentioned, Reilly is the only guy they have signed beyond this season, with Ceci ($4.5M), Muzzin ($4M) and Barrie ($2.75M due to retained salary by Colorado) all pending UFAs. But if I were a betting man, I'd put money on them moving on from Ceci next season and then eventually trading Nylander for a top-4 defender. That would give them plenty of cap space to fill other holes. Toronto front-loaded Nylander's contract, seemingly with the expectation that they would eventually trade him after year one - i.e. Toronto already paid him $12M in the first year of his contract and another $8.3M in signing bonus on July 1, 2019, so he's only due another $700K in salary for the rest of this season and $6M for the next four seasons after that. That's $21M/$45M that Toronto has already paid him in the first 12 months. And because Toronto has paid so much of that contract up front, it's going to be easier to move it to create cap space. I also think the writing's on the wall for Nylander after they re-signed Kapanen. Marner slides in as the #1 RW and Kapenen as the #2 RW, which probably puts Nylander's $6.92M cap hit on a plane to another city. Now it's just a matter of when.

All that said, I think 2020-21 is going to be Toronto's year. Too many pieces still to shuffle in 2019-2020. Next year should be rock solid for them.

Edited by dtsdlaw

10 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Oh man, if they don’t win the Cup next year lol. Toronto certainly has the talent to go deep next year but they also helped out a team that they could very well meet if they get to the Final. To me, Vegas was already the best team in the West and now they have the ability to get even better. Sign me up for that series though.

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

All that said, I think 2020-21 is going to be Toronto's year. Too many pieces still to shuffle in 2019-2020. Next year should be rock solid for them.

If they don't get past Boston (or whoever they meet in the first round), things are going to get very, very, very warm in Toronto.

I still have half a feeling that Anaheim is going to be helping Toronto with their cap.  I'd prefer Marner over Nylander, but either way, we can ship them LTIR or whatever while taking some of their $$$ offense, or alternatively, we could do a three way deal with another team to get them some D in trade.  We're set up as a decent intermediary, currently, and we should be able to scrape some cream off the top if we act like one.

I'd very much prefer we not send them Mahura, or really any other D... though it might be interesting to swap out Manson.  He has an M-NTC... so that's probably not a viable option.

I guess our current projected cap is at $8.5M.  That's plenty to launder some meaty trades if needed.

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Their defense is still a work in progress, which could submarine their Cup chances.  As you mentioned, Reilly is the only guy they have signed beyond this season, with Ceci ($4.5M), Muzzin ($4M) and Barrie ($2.75M due to retained salary by Colorado) all pending UFAs. But if I were a betting man, I'd put money on them moving on from Ceci next season and then eventually trading Nylander for a top-4 defender. That would give them plenty of cap space to fill other holes. Toronto front-loaded Nylander's contract, seemingly with the expectation that they would eventually trade him after year one - i.e. Toronto already paid him $12M in the first year of his contract and another $8.3M in signing bonus on July 1, 2019, so he's only due another $700K in salary for the rest of this season and $6M for the next four seasons after that. That's $21M/$45M that Toronto has already paid him in the first 12 months. And because Toronto has paid so much of that contract up front, it's going to be easier to move it to create cap space. I also think the writing's on the wall for Nylander after they re-signed Kapanen. Marner slides in as the #1 RW and Kapenen as the #2 RW, which probably puts Nylander's $6.92M cap hit on a plane to another city. Now it's just a matter of when.

Their D is pretty solid with Reilly, Muzzin and Barrie IMO. That's why I believe it should happen this season. And I'm sure leafs fans are praying Reilly or Muzzin won't get hurt in The Playoffs. That team is an offensive juggernaut but when you meet a good defensive team (Boston) you may be watching another early exit.

If Muzzin and Barrie are looking for raises next season and Barrie certainly will they're toast.
Let's say Marner signs for 9 mil (I'd be surprised if it's only that but just for fun) and Barrie is looking for 7 mil (same with Marner, he's probably looking for more depending on what kind of season he has) they pay 45 mil for 5 players. Add Freddie and Reilly's deals and that's 55 mil for 7 guys. Imagine the cap rising to 85 mil that leaves 30 mil for 16 players (23 man roster). That's an average of 1.88 mil per player.

And that LTIR trick won't work anymore when clarkson and horton become UFA's unless they take on some other LTIR contracts.

Not saying they can't ice a competitive team after the upcoming season but somebody will have to go. My money is also on Nylander.

How good would this Forward line be...Zucker-Getzlaf-Laline. Defence Corp consist of Risto-Faulk....Goaltender is John Gibson.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

What do you guys think Gibson's next contract will be? Did you guys see the contacts goalies have gotten lately? Sure he hasn't won a vezina yet but I would have to think it's going to be 7 + at this point. 

35 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

What do you guys think Gibson's next contract will be? Did you guys see the contacts goalies have gotten lately? Sure he hasn't won a vezina yet but I would have to think it's going to be 7 + at this point. 

He's signed for 7 more years.  We could have two lockouts between now and then.  There's no way to know.

Now that you can add Fenton to the list of bad GM’s fired, Murray has fewer ones to hide behind lol

42 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

I doubt that at age 34, with the style he plays that he’ll be demanding a pay increase. Let’s worry about the next 8 seasons first lol. Although, I’d take his contract over Vasilevskiy’s in a heartbeat right now.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Now that you can add Fenton to the list of bad GM’s fired, Murray has fewer ones to hide behind lol

I doubt that at age 34, with the style he plays that he’ll be demanding a pay increase. Let’s worry about the next 8 seasons first lol. Although, I’d take his contract over Vasilevskiy’s in a heartbeat right now.

Lol I forgot he signed! I thought he was still on the bridge contact never mind. 🤭

Oh yeah, then a total steal compared to some of these other guys. 

On 7/30/2019 at 2:14 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

What the hell was that thing?! It makes no sense. Have we not learned to not sign goalies for life? It sucks for them, it's a fickle position. But 8 years at at $9.5M is crazy talk.

6 hours ago, poum said:

What the hell was that thing?! It makes no sense. Have we not learned to not sign goalies for life? It sucks for them, it's a fickle position. But 8 years at at $9.5M is crazy talk.

Hey, it's better than the Bobrovsky deal.

8 hours ago, poum said:

Yeah. That’s just the going rate for a Vezina winning goaltender. Gibson getting robbed of a nomination, let alone the award saved the Ducks from paying him 9+ mil per year. The Bobrovsky contract is exponentially worse lol

Gibson honestly has one of the best contracts in hockey. It's mind boggling how he's not even the third highest paid player on our team.

Edited by PetrSykora

On 8/5/2019 at 6:16 PM, PetrSykora said:

Gibson honestly has one of the best contracts in hockey. It's mind boggling how he's not even the third highest paid player on our team.

It helps that Lindholm and Rakell were essentially signed for the same price as a donkey ride down the Grand Canyon.

Anyone else getting more and more worried as every calendar day passes without Phaneuf signing elsewhere. The Ducks only have 6 defensemen (per the Ducks official site) and no 7th.

Certainly a kid could swoop in during Camp. Larsson may have a case for a full time spot while Guhl/Holzer slides to 7th.

It's GMformelyHCBM that we're talking about. One half of the defense could well be Holzer, MDZ, and Phanuef.

Edited by poum