The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saskduckfan

Trip to Anaheim

Going to be making our first trip down to Anaheim in March this year. Taking in two games, including one on my birthday. Coming for about a week. Wondering about recommendations on places to stay and things to do in the area besides the game. Any really good places to eat that people may recommend too.

I like reminiscing about my trips so I'm going to write you a bit of a novel. I did my first trip to Anaheim as an adult last November for the Selanne/Kariya HOF night (last time I was there was during the 2005-2006 season as a teenager with my parents). 

We decided to stay at the Ayres Hotel across the road from the Honda Center. I considered staying elsewhere but being close to the arena is great, it's also not far at all from places like Disneyland and the hotel has a shuttle you can take to the more touristy areas. It's nice to be able to just wander to and from the games, take in a little atmosphere of being around other Ducks fans. Also if you want to try and get pics or stuff signed by the team you can do that in the mornings on practice days, and visit the Team Store outside of game hours so it's not busy. There are a number of bars and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. ALSO there aren't as many kids around as there seem to be at the hotels closer to Disney which for me is a plus.

We did have a rental car so that we could drive to the beaches and check out Santa Monica (the Santa Monica Pier was a bucket list destination I had to tick off, good fun), Huntington Beach and Newport Beach. I've been to a lot of places that claim to have nice beaches including Mexico, Australia, Fiji etc. but I think the California beaches are the nicest in the world. Just beautiful and so relaxing just being able to listen to the water completely drowning out everything else. We also got up early and went into downtown LA one day as my girlfriend wanted to check out the art galleries there. It's a big place so a car is essential IMO.

My GF had never been to Disneyland so we went to the main park - I actually had a great time and would recommend, especially if you haven't been. Pay the extra $10 and get the Fastpass option for your phone so you can book in for rides while you are in line for other rides. You could spend a week at Disney but we spent one day and did all the rides we wanted to do (the rides more geared to adults). Next time we will probably check out the California Adventure park. 

At one of the games we met up with Ken who is an Admin here on the boards, it was great to chat with somebody who I've had conversations with online for a decade but never actually met in person! For the first game we sat in the upper level and the second game we sat in the lower bowl, just to get a few different experiences at the Pond. Then after the game you can get free access to the Jack Daniels lounge and the radio guys do a player interview - when we went it was Mike Liambas which wasn't the most exciting but he was a nice guy, took lots of photos with kids and fans. 

I'm sure there is other fun stuff we did that I can't think of right now, if I remember I'll add some more. It's not the cheapest destination for a vacation but I'm sure you'll have a great time!

If this is your first time to Southern California Disneyland is probably a must. As far a beaches go I would skip Santa Monica(serious homeless problem),and head to Newport Beach. Then scoot down Pacific Coast Highway to Corona Del Mar, Laguna Beach and finish down at Dana Point. A bonus of this route is Teemu Salanne's Steak house is in that area.

If you are inclined, I would suggest going whale watching. It's a chance to see some awesome whales, and get out on the Pacific Ocean.https://www.whalewatchinginla.com/whale-watching-in-la-tickets.php

As far as food goes, their is a place called Joe's Italian Ice down the road from Disneyland that is a fun stop https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g29092-d8024153-Reviews-Joe_s_Italian_Ice-Anaheim_California.html

If  you've never had authentic Mexican food there are plenty of places here. Since I have not been to any of them in a few years others on this board would be better qualified to suggest specific places.

If you like museums, there are the Getty Museum, Los Angeles Museum of Art and La Brea tar pits.

If I think of other unique venues between now and March I'll post those suggestions here. 

The only other thing I might suggest is driving out to Palm Springs or some other dessert destination. Worth the visit to see the dessert. Even Barstow and turn around. Or if adventurous, drive all the way to Las Vegas for a night or two.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the whale watching. My wife would love that. We were also planning a beach day. My original thoughts were Newport Beach, as watching the games all the time I always hear about it. We will rent a car and may drive down to San Diego as well.

We did Vegas a couple years ago for a week and felt that we got enough of it that it isn't a bucket list to go back anytime soon.

10 hours ago, saskduckfan said:

Going to be making our first trip down to Anaheim in March this year. Taking in two games, including one on my birthday. Coming for about a week. Wondering about recommendations on places to stay and things to do in the area besides the game. Any really good places to eat that people may recommend too.

JT Schmidts is the best and closest....and the Lazy Dog has good food as well along with Titled Kilt.....Go Riders.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Just booked Ducks at Vegas on my birthday, Oct 20.  And Sabres at Ducks Oct 21 for Kariya ceremony.  Was able to get tickets in Sec 423, Row M, where I had my first season tickets for the first five years. :t_hot_unread:

I'm heading over from the UK for two games in Jan - do you know what days they guys train in order to try and get my jersey signed? The games are Fri 4th and Sun 6th if that makes a difference to training ?

Thanks!

On 9/15/2018 at 3:05 AM, JiggyToTheCup said:

Just booked Ducks at Vegas on my birthday, Oct 20.  And Sabres at Ducks Oct 21 for Kariya ceremony.  Was able to get tickets in Sec 423, Row M, where I had my first season tickets for the first five years. :t_hot_unread:

I may see you there on Oct21st.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

18 hours ago, hopitee said:

I'm heading over from the UK for two games in Jan - do you know what days they guys train in order to try and get my jersey signed? The games are Fri 4th and Sun 6th if that makes a difference to training ?

Thanks!

good question, I want go next year to Anaheim and I want also meet the guys before/after the training for take some pics.... which time they finish or start their training?

On 9/14/2018 at 9:41 AM, saskduckfan said:

What's your budget?

Kids?

Take a 25 mile drive to The South Bay and spend a day at the Terrenea Resort in Palos Verdes.
Bring your golf clubs (very cool par 3 course) if you have them or just spend the day on the grounds. Incredible views, pools and dining. Not cheap but not overly expensive if you play it right. Contact me if you plan to go. I can help you out with some tips.

https://www.destinationhotels.com/terranea

The Ducks should be in the new facility by then so a possibility would be to take in a practice. Even if you decide to skip the practice, I would head over regardless just to check out the place. It is supposed to be incredible.

4 hours ago, wataduk said:

The Ducks should be in the new facility by then so a possibility would be to take in a practice. Even if you decide to skip the practice, I would head over regardless just to check out the place. It is supposed to be incredible.

at which time is the practice?

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

at which time is the practice?

I am not sure what the schedule will be after they move to the new facility, but they usually are on the ice at around 10am.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:58 PM, wataduk said:

I am not sure what the schedule will be after they move to the new facility, but they usually are on the ice at around 10am.

The one in Irvine will it be done this month?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

The one in Irvine will it be done this month?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I think it is scheduled to be open late November ish.

On 9/14/2018 at 0:19 PM, saskduckfan said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the whale watching. My wife would love that. We were also planning a beach day. My original thoughts were Newport Beach, as watching the games all the time I always hear about it. We will rent a car and may drive down to San Diego as well.

We did Vegas a couple years ago for a week and felt that we got enough of it that it isn't a bucket list to go back anytime soon.

As a beach day, Catalina Island is always a fun day trip. The boat leaves out of San Pedro, few miles North of Huntington. It's got lots of nice restaurants, a nice cove for the beach. Random bison the farther you go inland. Scuba spots if you like. I did once, saw a small shipwreck that an octopus made a home of.

Also next to San Pedro is Long Beach that has the attraction HMS Queen Marry. If you're into old ocean liners from the 30's. It's a hotel with a restaurant and a nice bar. Does tours. Haunted. Supposedly. If you're into that. Last time I went, which was... A very long time ago, they had a U-Boat next to it. I was more excited for that, because I'm a big submarine nerd.

23 hours ago, wataduk said:

I see look forward to see the Photos of it finish.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 10/6/2018 at 7:53 PM, wataduk said:

So the team is moving there full time for practices? It would be cool if they opened practice to the public. A few teams still do this.

On 9/14/2018 at 0:19 PM, saskduckfan said:

If you come down to San Diego, don't bother with the rental car. Driving to SD from the OC is a bear and the excessive stop-and-go traffic can eat into your vacation time and your good mood. Take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner instead. You can get on across the street from the Ponda Center and it drops off at Santa Fe station right near the waterfront in downtown San Diego. Uber/Lyft (or the FRED, if you can catch one) can then take you anywhere you want to go down here. If you're looking for a beach, take the ferry (a stone's throw from the train station) over to Coronado, then Uber/Lyft to the Hotel Del Coronado. Fantastic beach there, and the Hotel Del also has a great outdoor bar/eating area if you want to get off the sand for a while. If you stay for dinner, Peohe's on Coronado or Coasterra on Harbor Island have my favorite views of downtown from across the harbor. Balboa Park (the zoo, museums, parks, etc.) is always a hit too. It's about a $7 Uber/Lyft ride from Santa Fe station. There are also buses to Balboa Park. If you stay a night, there are some really nice hotels along the waterfront in downtown near the Embarcadero / convention center. The Sheraton on Harbor Island is also a good choice. If you're here for a Gulls game, their arena is close to the Old Town train/trolley stop (walkable with good shoes and a great attitude), which is just a few miles north of downtown. There's also whale watching down here, both in captivity (Seaworld) and in the wild. 

On 6.10.2018 at 0:58 AM, wataduk said:

when the training ends? or is it better before the training to take photos? then when it starts?

On ‎29‎.‎10‎.‎2018 at 2:54 AM, Spike1981 said:

when the training ends? or is it better before the training to take photos? then when it starts?

no one knows?

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

no one knows?

The players will usually be entering the building between 8am and 9am, and leaving between 12pm and 1pm. It depends on the player and what their routine is. 

On 10/8/2018 at 4:22 PM, nieder said:

So the team is moving there full time for practices? It would be cool if they opened practice to the public. A few teams still do this.

It would be Great Gesture for the Ducks to do this....Why not invite Ducks Fans to the Practice and Open it to the People.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On ‎08‎.‎01‎.‎2019 at 4:42 PM, nieder said:

The players will usually be entering the building between 8am and 9am, and leaving between 12pm and 1pm. It depends on the player and what their routine is. 

okay thx

So we are starting to get things booked. Coming down Mar 17-23. Taking in the games on Mar 20 vs WPG (birthday) and 22 vs SJ. May take in game onnMar 17 vs FLA depending on if flights are on time. Will be doing Disney for three days. Any suggestions for things to do on the game days during the day? We wont be renting a vehicle so we are limited to transit/uber. May check out the shops one day.