Ducks9147

Top 6 forward immediately!!!

150 posts in this topic

Ok so news just broke that Corey Perry had knee surgery and will be out for 5 months. With Kes still not likely to play this season and still unsure about Eaves. Who can the ducks still pick up with season starting in just a week. The outlook this season isn't starting off well with this many injuries already.

Who can the Ducks pick up still that can play the top 6?

Nobody...it's 1 week until preseason, lol. Most teams are finalizing their rosters. Probably going to have to rely on in house options for the time being.

Rick Nash.

Nash scored 21G last season. He's a bit older than Perry, but he skates better. Nash can also play both wings, so he can move around in the lineup depending on what happens with Eaves and Ritchie (and when Perry returns in the Spring). Nash has also played on a line with Getzlaf in the past for Team Canada, so there might be some familiarity there. He's also coming from the East, so he's used to playing a little more up-tempo style, which is what the team is trying to transition to for this new season. 

At the conclusion of the Bruins season, Nash said he's looking for two things in a new team: (1) he wants to win games, and (2) he wants a nice place for his family to live (he has a 4-year-old son). Well, Anaheim has finished with 100+ points in 5 straight seasons, and you can't find a much better place to live than Southern California. At age 34 and with more than $90M earned over his career, I don't think Nash is looking to break the bank either. I bet we could get him for 2-years, $4M per season. We currently have about $6.1M in cap space for this season.

Signing Nash for two years would also turn the screws on Ritchie to sign. And Nash would be a great mentor for him if/when Ritchie does sign, since Nick is basically expected to play a game identical to Nash's.

Make it happen, Bob!

27 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Rick Nash.

Nash scored 21G last season. He's a bit older than Perry, but he skates better. Nash can also play both wings, so he can move around in the lineup depending on what happens with Eaves and Ritchie (and when Perry returns in the Spring). Nash has also played on a line with Getzlaf in the past for Team Canada, so there might be some familiarity there. He's also coming from the East, so he's used to playing a little more up-tempo style, which is what the team is trying to transition to for this new season. 

At the conclusion of the Bruins season, Nash said he's looking for two things in a new team: (1) he wants to win games, and (2) he wants a nice place for his family to live (he has a 4-year-old son). Well, Anaheim has finished with 100+ points in 5 straight seasons, and you can't find a much better place to live than Southern California. At age 34 and with more than $90M earned over his career, I don't think Nash is looking to break the bank either. I bet we could get him for 2-years, $4M per season. We currently have about $6.1M in cap space for this season.

Signing Nash for two years would also turn the screws on Ritchie to sign. And Nash would be a great mentor for him if/when Ritchie does sign, since Nick is basically expected to play a game identical to Nash's.

Make it happen, Bob!

Rick Nash is awful.  No way. Let a youngster play.   

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Rick Nash is awful.  No way. Let a youngster play.   

Rick Nash is still 5x the NHL player that Terry or Sherwood or Comtois or any other Ducks rookie is. He might even be better than a healthy Perry. If you're angling for a draft pick in the 10-15 range, by all means stack the roster with rookies. But if you want to make the postseason, we need to add some goal scoring to the forward group. Nash gives us 35-40+ points and probably 20+ goals. 

Edit: I should add that Nash also plays Perry's position on the PP - i.e. he stands in front of the crease and screens the goalie while absorbing crazy abuse from the defenders. Who else do we currently have to do that? Certainly not any of the rookies.

Edited by dtsdlaw
4 people like this

I would not be surprised if Nash or a Leaf came falling our way.  

If that doesn't happen, then we've entered full rebuild mode.

If Rick Nash is available and willing to sign with Anaheim on a two year deal I think it would be a nice insurance policy. Veteran presence, experience playing on challenged teams. At the very least I do not think it would hurt the team.

23 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Rick Nash.

Make it happen, Bob!

I’d rather have Nick at a Wayyyyyy less contract over Nash. We are trying to get faster and so we do not achieve this by getting Nash AND also Ritchie on the team (and CP later on) who like you said play a similar “big man” style of play. Now if we were to trade Ritchie and a D man to perhaps.... maybe,..... h-o-p-i-n-g to get someone like Nylander (Most likely not) then getting another big body like Nash makes a bit more sense as we balence out once again

Edited by RobD360

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

I’d rather have Nick at a Wayyyyyy less contract over Nash. We are trying to get faster and so we do not achieve this by getting Nash AND also Ritchie on the team (and CP later on) who like you said play a similar “big man” style of play. Now if we were to trade Ritchie and a D man to perhaps.... maybe,..... h-o-p-i-n-g to get someone like Nylander (Most likely not) then getting another big body like Nash makes a bit more sense as we balence out once again

Its not about having faster skaters, its about playing faster. It's passing the puck quicker, shooting the puck quicker, and moving the puck from defense to offense quicker. As I alluded to above, Nash has played the last four seasons for Alain Vigneault and Bruce Cassidy (briefly), both of whom coach a more aggressive offensive style, so he's not a "slow" player like Perry and Getzlaf, who prefer to play at a slower, more deliberate tempo. So I think that what Nash could do for Ritchie is to show him to play faster while still taking advantage of his size and strength.

That said, if Ritchie doesn't sign soon, it won't matter. Nash will not be joining him in Switzerland or the KHL or wherever the heck Ritchie decides to play this season.

7 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Its not about having faster skaters, its about playing faster. It's passing the puck quicker, shooting the puck quicker, and moving the puck from defense to offense quicker. As I alluded to above, Nash has played the last four seasons for Alain Vigneault and Bruce Cassidy (briefly), both of whom coach a more aggressive offensive style, so he's not a "slow" player like Perry and Getzlaf, who prefer to play at a slower, more deliberate tempo. So I think that what Nash could do for Ritchie is to show him to play faster while still taking advantage of his size and strength.

That said, if Ritchie doesn't sign soon, it won't matter. Nash will not be joining him in Switzerland or the KHL or wherever the heck Ritchie decides to play this season.

I don’t know. Just having Getz, CP, Ritchie and then Nash on top of that just seems kinda old school and a bit redundant 

36 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I don’t know. Just having Getz, CP, Ritchie and then Nash on top of that just seems kinda old school and a bit redundant 

I don't care about old school or redundant as long as we have good players who can score goals.  I'm amenable to a one-year deal for Nash.

3 people like this

On 9/26/2018 at 4:22 PM, BlazingEtem said:

Who can the Ducks pick up still that can play the top 6?

Nobody...it's 1 week until preseason, lol. Most teams are finalizing their rosters. Probably going to have to rely on in house options for the time being.

How relying on the Ducks Youth..Steel,Sherwood,Roy....I can name a few.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 9/27/2018 at 4:39 PM, gorbachav5 said:

I don't care about old school or redundant as long as we have good players who can score goals.  I'm amenable to a one-year deal for Nash.

This should be the team mantra. I'd absolutely take Nash on a one-year deal. As mentioned above, he's better than any current Ducks prospect by a mile. Hopefully, Murray is kicking the tires on him.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:52 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Ah That makes sense. What wouldn’t make sense is having more of the same old style of hockey players when the rest of the league is going to a quicker more modern style. It’s not to say that I don’t like the old  style Ala Philly broadway bullys or Ducks circa 2007 Pronger, Penner et all .... big, slow and pound you into the ground but we need the right “”balance”” of it all (speed, skill, muscle etc) or else we are going to get blown out of the water by a team like Vegas who are quick and skilled and don’t have too many big slow footed players even if they were all good because another team with just as skilled caliber players but quicker will skate around the slow ones. So I’d rather take a good yet quick skilled player over a slow good player 

Edited by RobD360

Nylander still holding out. Toronto still scoring. Matthews & Marner still on fire. Okay it's only been 5 games but still. These guys can (and perhaps should) command big dollars. Will Toronto be able to keep all 3? I highly doubt it.
Meanwhile they're allowing 4 goals per game. That's a lot. Everybody knows they're looking for a big defenseman. They'd probably love to get their hands on Manson. Would you consider trading him for a signed Nylander? Sure we'd be losing toughness but is that still the way to go?
Or step it up a notch and go Lindholm for (a signed) Marner?

I know we have a solid top 4 and we think we can't afford to lose one of them but if you look at the pens & caps defense when they won The Cup, that was nothing spectacular. I'm not saying I'd do it but it's food for thought. I would hate losing one of our top 4 D men but the leafs have forwards I wouldn't mind seeing on our team. We make excellent trading partners.

Edited by DucksFan_08

If we are talking about upping the ante for a trade with Toronto because they will not be able to afford all three of Mathews, Nylander and Marner I would trade for Mathews for Lindholm as we will desperately be needing to replace Getz and Kesler in the near future. Ritchie would prob be part of this deal as well. Also being American/ Mexican he would be a big draw for that demographic which is huge here in SoCal. 

6 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Nylander still holding out. Toronto still scoring. Matthews & Marner still on fire. Okay it's only been 5 games but still. These guys can (and perhaps should) command big dollars. Will Toronto be able to keep all 3? I highly doubt it.
Meanwhile they're allowing 4 goals per game. That's a lot. Everybody knows they're looking for a big defenseman. They'd probably love to get their hands on Manson. Would you consider trading him for a signed Nylander? Sure we'd be losing toughness but is that still the way to go?
Or step it up a notch and go Lindholm for (a signed) Marner?

I know we have a solid top 4 and we think we can't afford to lose one of them but if you look at the pens & caps defense when they won The Cup, that was nothing spectacular. I'm not saying I'd do it but it's food for thought. I would hate losing one of our top 4 D men but the leafs have forwards I wouldn't mind seeing on our team. We make excellent trading partners.

Matthews is going to get a huge contract this offseason. He might get close to McDavid numbers for his first deal as an RFA - Tavares got $11M per year from the same team and they are playing the same role. I guarantee he's looking for something similar. There is just no way in hell that Toronto can afford Matthews, Tavares and Nylander, and then Marner and Kapanen are RFA at the end of this season too. 

Personally I would absolutely trade Manson for a signed Nylander. I love me some Manson but I think that deal makes both teams better. We lose some physicality on the blue line but I think we have the defensive depth to cover the loss. I'm not sure we can afford to fit in Nylander as it sounds like he is asking for a big deal, but I would do it.

11 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

If we are talking about upping the ante for a trade with Toronto because they will not be able to afford all three of Mathews, Nylander and Marner I would trade for Mathews for Lindholm as we will desperately be needing to replace Getz and Kesler in the near future. Ritchie would prob be part of this deal as well. Also being American/ Mexican he would be a big draw for that demographic which is huge here in SoCal. 

I don't think Toronto will trade Matthews. They want the 2 big centers with him and Tavares. We could probably get Kadri.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

I don't think Toronto will trade Matthews. They want the 2 big centers with him and Tavares. We could probably get Kadri.

I don’t regard Kadri as a elite centerman today or future; as such I wouldn’t trade for him. We already have Rico. Only reason I’d be willing to let Lindy or possibly Fowler go is for an elite centerman (in the making or still young like Mathews) who could take over Getz role when he starts to go into 2nd line mode. If it’s just a winger we are talking about then I’d keep Manson, Lindy and Fowler and trade another defenseman (Monty etc...) along with Ritchie 

Edited by RobD360

But if we are to get an elite centerman via trade I don’t think it’s gojng to be from a team like TOR anyways since they are vying for the cup. I think we would have to look at a team that is rebuilding in order to obtain the Getz replacement or draft him (somehow). 

no.

I'm thinking Cam and Ritchie for a Nylander with at least a 4 year contract, preferably longer, and no NMC.

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

no.

I'm thinking Cam and Ritchie for a Nylander with at least a 4 year contract, preferably longer, and no NMC.

Honestly I think this team values Fowler as a long term asset. I think it would be Montour and Ritchie (perhaps + draft pick) for Nylander. But with Comtois, Kase, Rakell, Rico (who can play wing), Terry etc  I am not sure we should spend to get another winger when we should start looking for Getz replacement. It’s way too soon to know if we that kind of impact player within our existing pool of young talent. If it’s a winger like Nylander we probably will see Silfer as part of the deal to make room

19 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Honestly I think this team values Fowler as a long term asset. I think it would be Montour and Ritchie (perhaps + draft pick) for Nylander. But with Comtois, Kase, Rakell, Rico (who can play wing), Terry etc  I am not sure we should spend to get another winger when we should start looking for Getz replacement. It’s way too soon to know if we that kind of impact player within our existing pool of young talent. If it’s a winger like Nylander we probably will see Silfer as part of the deal to make room

Nylander is a natural Center. Part of the appeal for me is that he could potentially be our #1C when Getzlaf slows down. I would send Montour, Ritchie, and another one of our young forwards like Terry the other way. Nylander would be a big add. The only problem is whether we could afford his salary under the cap. 

22 hours ago, Fisix said:

no.

That makes zero sense for Toronto. They can't sign Nylander because of the potential cap hit, so they would trade him for a bigger combined cap hit? 

It's pretty obvious who they would target if were interested (hint: Reilly's draft class), and at that point, it is a phone hang up for me.

This Nylander talk is a pipe dream.

If Bob Murray came out publicly and said that we could have traded scraps for Karlsson, but didn't because of money and cap concerns, then he sure as hell isn't going to give up actual value assets for someone that is going to command big money and a cap hit.

2 people like this

On 12.10.2018 at 11:37 PM, g20topdogg said:

Lundestrom? 

This.

Ho Sang. Let’s give him a chance like we’re giving Blandisi and pretty much everyone else in our roster.... 

8 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Ho Sang. Let’s give him a chance like we’re giving Blandisi and pretty much everyone else in our roster.... 

I'm down. Good target.