Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
mulcher

Aberg

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, mulcher said:

Elliote Friedman reports Anaheim has claimed Aberg from Edmonton..

He has some speed and should be a good addition to the bottom six.

filling in for Gibbons, could possibly stay with the Ducks, if he can perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember this guy. Midway through that conference final series I thought to myself "Pontus Aberg is a really good hockey name". From that point on he killed us over the final two games. I hate Pontus Aberg.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

I remember this guy. Midway through that conference final series I thought to myself "Pontus Aberg is a really good hockey name". From that point on he killed us over the final two games. I hate Pontus Aberg.

So he actually did some damage against us? I don’t remember him. If he did that’s promising, shows he isn’t a bad pickup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

So he actually did some damage against us? I don’t remember him. If he did that’s promising, shows he isn’t a bad pickup. 

It's for the best. I try to forget Nashville exists too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poum said:

It's for the best. I try to forget Nashville exists too.

LOL. Is that what those black spots in my memory represent? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mulcher said:

Elliote Friedman reports Anaheim has claimed Aberg from Edmonton..

He has some speed and should be a good addition to the bottom six.

Welcome to the Ducks Pontus Aberg. Agree he is a good Pickup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

What is the back story behind his time with the Oilers? It doesn't sound like he was released for performance reasons...

I don't think he was released. We got him off waivers, meaning that Edmonton was just trying to send him down to Bakersfield. The Oil is pretty deep on their forward lines this season, so he was likely just a numbers casualty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think he was released. We got him off waivers, meaning that Edmonton was just trying to send him down to Bakersfield. The Oil is pretty deep on their forward lines this season, so he was likely just a numbers casualty.

Ah ok. I heard/read some rumblings that the Oilers were not happy with him for whatever reason. Wasn't sure about his situation, but if its just a waive claim...meh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't blame him if he was unhappy there.Who in their right mind would stay in stone cold, snowy Edmonton , if they had a chance of moving to beautiful downtown Anaheim.

Edited by mulcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Ah ok. I heard/read some rumblings that the Oilers were not happy with him for whatever reason. Wasn't sure about his situation, but if its just a waive claim...meh?

There were more than rumblings or speculation.  Todd McLellan came out and said Aberg got benched for off ice infractions.  The speculation was that he missed practice because he was carousing.  The quote from McLellan:

Quote

"He came out for reasons beyond his play . . . it's serious. The coaching staff isn't pleased, the organization isn't pleased and I'm sure his teammates aren't pleased." Todd McLellan on Pontus Aberg, back in the line-up tonight.

So we'll see.  Hopefully he's got his act together.  We know how much patience Murray has for guys who slack off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

There were more than rumblings or speculation.  Todd McLellan came out and said Aberg got benched for off ice infractions.  The speculation was that he missed practice because he was carousing.  The quote from McLellan:

So we'll see.  Hopefully he's got his act together.  We know how much patience Murray has for guys who slack off...

That was from last March when McLellan scratched him from a  mid-March game for allegedly missing an off-day practice, but then Aberg was right back in the lineup for the next 8 straight games so I don't think he stayed in the doghouse because of that incident. Fisix's article basically makes it sound like he was just a round peg in a square hole in Edmonton. They didn't really have a need or place for his skill set given what they already had around him (they needed penalty killers and more heavy checkers in their bottom-6). I definitely think we could use him though. He brings speed, good hands, and some finishing ability. He could be a very nice add to our bottom-6.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it was a lack of leadership in Edmonton that led to the alleged carousing? I don't think the Swedes on this team or the Captain will let that float. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

That was from last March when McLellan scratched him from a  mid-March game for allegedly missing an off-day practice, but then Aberg was right back in the lineup for the next 8 straight games so I don't think he stayed in the doghouse because of that incident. Fisix's article basically makes it sound like he was just a round peg in a square hole in Edmonton. They didn't really have a need or place for his skill set given what they already had around him (they needed penalty killers and more heavy checkers in their bottom-6). I definitely think we could use him though. He brings speed, good hands, and some finishing ability. He could be a very nice add to our bottom-6.

I mean, you saw the quote from McLellan, though.  That wasn't "he needs to work on some things."  Yes, he was probably a bad fit in Edmonton, but that doesn't preclude the notion that he also had some work ethic issues.  Hopefully it ended with that incident (I seriously doubt that was the only incident as I don't think an isolated incident would produce that sort of quote unless it was REALLY bad, and then it would have been likely we'd hear more about it).

As long as he's working hard, I'm all for getting him in the lineup.  The Ducks desperately could use some more skill and I'm hopeful this means they're going that direction.  There's no downside here, especially with Ritchie sitting out and 17 other forwards injured.  It's not like he's taking time away from a youngster.  All the youngsters are going to play anyway because there's no one else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, beaverbuzz said:

How about that Pontus Aberg? Did we get a steal or what? It's hard to believe that we got him off of waivers. 

Yeah, it's too bad we have almost nothing to show for his recent performance.  I guess he's expected to score enough goals for us to win each game, since he's the only one scoring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Yeah, it's too bad we have almost nothing to show for his recent performance.  I guess he's expected to score enough goals for us to win each game, since he's the only one scoring.

Edmonton already has McDavid...they didn't need Aberg, too!! That's just too much man...let another team get a player to score their only goals for a while... :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Yeah, it's too bad we have almost nothing to show for his recent performance.  I guess he's expected to score enough goals for us to win each game, since he's the only one scoring.

Team Giberg* got us that loser point against SJ!

[edit] *Might not be initially clear so I'll show my math.

Team Giberg = (<3)Gibson + Aberg

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avery has been doing some nice moves around the net even prior to his goal scoring. Good to see he’s finally connected a couple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy the kid has gotten hot but let's get real, it's far more likely this is the second coming of Dan Sexton than the next William Karlsson. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, nieder said:

I'm happy the kid has gotten hot but let's get real, it's far more likely this is the second coming of Dan Sexton than the next William Karlsson. 

This.  The kid clearly has some hands, but I'm not convinced on the rest of his game.  As we've said in the past, most of us could stand there near the net and have Getzlaf bank pucks off of us into the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

This.  The kid clearly has some hands, but I'm not convinced on the rest of his game.  As we've said in the past, most of us could stand there near the net and have Getzlaf bank pucks off of us into the goal.

Well...my question would then be...why isn't anyone else doing that on the team? Aberg is doing something right...but yes we'll see if he can stay relevant through out the whole season. I seem remember at one point a few seasons ago were Winnik was like our leading goal scorer.

(and I would hope my McDavid post above is an obvious sarcastic joke trying to compare Aberg to McDavid)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Avery has been doing some nice moves around the net even prior to his goal scoring. Good to see he’s finally connected a couple. 

Stupid auto-correct, I meant Aberg but funny that is came out to Avery LOL .... hmmmm what is my phone trying to tell me

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I am just going to remind people that there were some very negative Aberg posts on this site prior to his recent scoring.  

Deservedly so.  It's appropriate to give him lauds right now too.  I mean, we have to cheer someone, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nieder said:

I'm happy the kid has gotten hot but let's get real, it's far more likely this is the second coming of Dan Sexton than the next William Karlsson. 

One does not simply compare a player to Captain Dan "NHL's second leading rookie scorer during the first two weeks of December 2009" Sexton. The man was a legend. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two 2 goal games in 2 games....Iceberg is a Good Pick up.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...