The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
mulcher

Aberg

3 minutes ago, mulcher said:

Elliote Friedman reports Anaheim has claimed Aberg from Edmonton..

He has some speed and should be a good addition to the bottom six.

filling in for Gibbons, could possibly stay with the Ducks, if he can perform.

I remember this guy. Midway through that conference final series I thought to myself "Pontus Aberg is a really good hockey name". From that point on he killed us over the final two games. I hate Pontus Aberg.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

I remember this guy. Midway through that conference final series I thought to myself "Pontus Aberg is a really good hockey name". From that point on he killed us over the final two games. I hate Pontus Aberg.

So he actually did some damage against us? I don’t remember him. If he did that’s promising, shows he isn’t a bad pickup. 

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

So he actually did some damage against us? I don’t remember him. If he did that’s promising, shows he isn’t a bad pickup. 

It's for the best. I try to forget Nashville exists too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poum said:

It's for the best. I try to forget Nashville exists too.

LOL. Is that what those black spots in my memory represent? 

22 hours ago, mulcher said:

Elliote Friedman reports Anaheim has claimed Aberg from Edmonton..

He has some speed and should be a good addition to the bottom six.

Welcome to the Ducks Pontus Aberg. Agree he is a good Pickup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

What is the back story behind his time with the Oilers? It doesn't sound like he was released for performance reasons...

I don't think he was released. We got him off waivers, meaning that Edmonton was just trying to send him down to Bakersfield. The Oil is pretty deep on their forward lines this season, so he was likely just a numbers casualty.

33 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think he was released. We got him off waivers, meaning that Edmonton was just trying to send him down to Bakersfield. The Oil is pretty deep on their forward lines this season, so he was likely just a numbers casualty.

Ah ok. I heard/read some rumblings that the Oilers were not happy with him for whatever reason. Wasn't sure about his situation, but if its just a waive claim...meh?

Can't blame him if he was unhappy there.Who in their right mind would stay in stone cold, snowy Edmonton , if they had a chance of moving to beautiful downtown Anaheim.

Edited by mulcher

8 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Ah ok. I heard/read some rumblings that the Oilers were not happy with him for whatever reason. Wasn't sure about his situation, but if its just a waive claim...meh?

There were more than rumblings or speculation.  Todd McLellan came out and said Aberg got benched for off ice infractions.  The speculation was that he missed practice because he was carousing.  The quote from McLellan:

"He came out for reasons beyond his play . . . it's serious. The coaching staff isn't pleased, the organization isn't pleased and I'm sure his teammates aren't pleased." Todd McLellan on Pontus Aberg, back in the line-up tonight.

So we'll see.  Hopefully he's got his act together.  We know how much patience Murray has for guys who slack off...

32 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

There were more than rumblings or speculation.  Todd McLellan came out and said Aberg got benched for off ice infractions.  The speculation was that he missed practice because he was carousing.  The quote from McLellan:

So we'll see.  Hopefully he's got his act together.  We know how much patience Murray has for guys who slack off...

That was from last March when McLellan scratched him from a  mid-March game for allegedly missing an off-day practice, but then Aberg was right back in the lineup for the next 8 straight games so I don't think he stayed in the doghouse because of that incident. Fisix's article basically makes it sound like he was just a round peg in a square hole in Edmonton. They didn't really have a need or place for his skill set given what they already had around him (they needed penalty killers and more heavy checkers in their bottom-6). I definitely think we could use him though. He brings speed, good hands, and some finishing ability. He could be a very nice add to our bottom-6.

• Like 2

Maybe it was a lack of leadership in Edmonton that led to the alleged carousing? I don't think the Swedes on this team or the Captain will let that float. 

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

That was from last March when McLellan scratched him from a  mid-March game for allegedly missing an off-day practice, but then Aberg was right back in the lineup for the next 8 straight games so I don't think he stayed in the doghouse because of that incident. Fisix's article basically makes it sound like he was just a round peg in a square hole in Edmonton. They didn't really have a need or place for his skill set given what they already had around him (they needed penalty killers and more heavy checkers in their bottom-6). I definitely think we could use him though. He brings speed, good hands, and some finishing ability. He could be a very nice add to our bottom-6.

I mean, you saw the quote from McLellan, though.  That wasn't "he needs to work on some things."  Yes, he was probably a bad fit in Edmonton, but that doesn't preclude the notion that he also had some work ethic issues.  Hopefully it ended with that incident (I seriously doubt that was the only incident as I don't think an isolated incident would produce that sort of quote unless it was REALLY bad, and then it would have been likely we'd hear more about it).

As long as he's working hard, I'm all for getting him in the lineup.  The Ducks desperately could use some more skill and I'm hopeful this means they're going that direction.  There's no downside here, especially with Ritchie sitting out and 17 other forwards injured.  It's not like he's taking time away from a youngster.  All the youngsters are going to play anyway because there's no one else.

17 minutes ago, beaverbuzz said:

How about that Pontus Aberg? Did we get a steal or what? It's hard to believe that we got him off of waivers. 

Yeah, it's too bad we have almost nothing to show for his recent performance.  I guess he's expected to score enough goals for us to win each game, since he's the only one scoring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Yeah, it's too bad we have almost nothing to show for his recent performance.  I guess he's expected to score enough goals for us to win each game, since he's the only one scoring.

Edmonton already has McDavid...they didn't need Aberg, too!! That's just too much man...let another team get a player to score their only goals for a while... :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Team Giberg* got us that loser point against SJ!

[edit] *Might not be initially clear so I'll show my math.

Team Giberg = (<3)Gibson + Aberg

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

Avery has been doing some nice moves around the net even prior to his goal scoring. Good to see he’s finally connected a couple. 

I'm happy the kid has gotten hot but let's get real, it's far more likely this is the second coming of Dan Sexton than the next William Karlsson. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nieder said:

I'm happy the kid has gotten hot but let's get real, it's far more likely this is the second coming of Dan Sexton than the next William Karlsson. 

This.  The kid clearly has some hands, but I'm not convinced on the rest of his game.  As we've said in the past, most of us could stand there near the net and have Getzlaf bank pucks off of us into the goal.

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

This.  The kid clearly has some hands, but I'm not convinced on the rest of his game.  As we've said in the past, most of us could stand there near the net and have Getzlaf bank pucks off of us into the goal.

Well...my question would then be...why isn't anyone else doing that on the team? Aberg is doing something right...but yes we'll see if he can stay relevant through out the whole season. I seem remember at one point a few seasons ago were Winnik was like our leading goal scorer.

(and I would hope my McDavid post above is an obvious sarcastic joke trying to compare Aberg to McDavid)

4 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Avery has been doing some nice moves around the net even prior to his goal scoring. Good to see he’s finally connected a couple. 

Stupid auto-correct, I meant Aberg but funny that is came out to Avery LOL .... hmmmm what is my phone trying to tell me

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

I am just going to remind people that there were some very negative Aberg posts on this site prior to his recent scoring.  

Deservedly so.  It's appropriate to give him lauds right now too.  I mean, we have to cheer someone, right?

5 hours ago, nieder said:

One does not simply compare a player to Captain Dan "NHL's second leading rookie scorer during the first two weeks of December 2009" Sexton. The man was a legend. 

• Like 3

Two 2 goal games in 2 games....Iceberg is a Good Pick up.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck
  • Like 1