The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
mulcher

Aberg

Something must have happened off the ice. To go from 1st liner to healthy scratch to being traded in such a quick span is not a normal process. I had no problem healthy scratching Aberg because he looked terrible in his last few games, but it's hard to understand why he was pretty much made an example out of. 

What a bizarre saga. He might have been the worst player on the team when the Ducks claimed him. Then he gets waived again, comes back, scores the goal of the year for Anaheim, becomes a a cult hero as one of our best offensive threats for the next month and a half, only to end up getting the Grabovski treatment from Carlyle to close out his stint as a Duck. Aberg is such a weird player too. I don't recall ever seeing a player who could drastically go from thud, to thunder, and back again all in a single shift. There was no greyscale with him. At least it was something funny to watch during such a boring and awful season. 

He might have been terrible without the puck on his stick, but the same could have been said about several of our players during this stretch. He could do things with the puck that few players in our bottom 6 could though. I'm not opposed to trading him, but one of our top goal scorers (however sad that may be) for a guy who's the same age without any of the NHL contributions to his name? Hard not to think that they could have done a lot better here.

Edited by PetrSykora
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

I get the logistics and flexibility, but I don't get the reasoning why the logistics has to play a part here, now that we have 2 additional forwards on IR.

I think the only thing I can say for sure is that I don't understand the underlying impetus for these particular moves.  Mechanically, in hindsight, I can follow why y goes to y because x went to x... but i don't get why x was sent to x.  not in any concrete sense.

one theme that makes a little sense... with the two additional injuries, in mid January, no follow up positive words about Perry, Eaves needing conditioning, Getz looking tired if not injured and hiding it... this could be a set of moves for maximum flexibility with lineups and with minimal risk to losing players that matter now or that we think will matter in the coming seasons, so that we can season some rookies that'll be up or out next year.

basically, we're shifting to a scrimmage team.  no playoff prospects, basically shooting for increased 1st round draft pick priority.  this may be the towel.  

Throwing in the towel might not be too far from the truth,  Comtois could be up here, but keeping in junior keeps him from being exposed in the expansion draft.  Sometimes the business aspects weigh in to personnel decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

Something must have happened off the ice. To go from 1st liner to healthy scratch to being traded in such a quick span is not a normal process. I had no problem healthy scratching Aberg because he looked terrible in his last few games, but it's hard to understand why he was pretty much made an example out of. 

Per an article in the Athletic, it appeared that Carlyle thought Aberg needed a higher compete level.

I can't believe Aberg was just traded for a leprechaun. Maybe Bruce will know what to do with Aberg. I mean where will the offense come from now? It's just sad day in Duckville when your legendary player gets traded....by the beard of Sexton this can't be happening. Uggghhh.

I really liked Aberg. He was one of the few who rose above the rusted system of RC and was still able to score. He will thrive under BB. Wild just got better. Aberg has skill and creativity around the net. He’s a quality player. 

Ive never heard of Kloos but the same could have been said for Aberg who I didn’t know of either when we first got him. What’s sad for Kloos is that he is a Minn native so being traded away from his home state probably hurt a bit. 

• Like 2

We are Kloos from 13 losses. Why was this trade done ? I have no Kloos. 

*sad tuba*

ps: I'm sure I have at least 1 good phonetic joke there.

• Like 1

From what I read on the internet about Kloos he doesn’t sound all that enticing. He’s 25 and he’s only played 1 game in the NHL thus far which is not a good indicator. His stats in the AHL don’t look all that promising either. I think the Wild win this one handedly   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Myuyum said:

We are Kloos from 13 losses. Why was this trade done ? I have no Kloos. 

*sad tuba*

ps: I'm sure I have at least 1 good phonetic joke there.

I think Henry Samueli, out of frustration, told Bob Murray that he had no clue.
Bm fixed that in 1 phone call to Minnesota.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

From what I read on the internet about Kloos he doesn’t sound all that enticing. He’s 25 and he’s only played 1 game in the NHL thus far which is not a good indicator. His stats in the AHL don’t look all that promising either. I think the Wild win this one handedly   

This is just a salary dump. Aberg is on a 1-way contract that pays $650K whether he’s in the NHL or AHL. Kloos is on a 2-way contract that pays him only $70K in San Diego. I think Bob is ready to reinfuse the roster with Gulls (Terry and Jones already up) so the “fill-ins” like Aberg will be auctioned off at dirt cheap prices or sent down to San Diego. My guess is that the only reason Gibbons is not on waivers today is because of Silf’s injury. But he’ll likely be gone too once Silf or Pears comes back. GMBM is already in evaluation mode for next season and Aberg was never intended to be a long term addition. His timely scoring just gave us the illusion that he was.

Good luck to Aberg in Minnesota! Especially on Thursday :ph34r:

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Maybe we should just trade him to St. Louis it makes the only logical sense for his name

Edited by ducks07
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, wataduk said:

To confirm he has no clue ...

He is only as good as his last trade and it is a confusing one.

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

30pts in 34 games this year is not too shabby at all.

Not that it matters, odds are that Kloos was move for San Diego only so that they could call up some kids.

1 hour ago, ducks07 said:

Maybe we should just trade him to St. Louis it makes the only logical sense for his name

Oh that is good.

If he played in St Louis, he would be the Blues Kloos.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

So we've lost two Swedes so far. I wounder who's next on the hit list? Maybe another defenseman?

Oh that's right send Lindholm our best defensive Dman the one that scored the most goals on defence last season for Nylander, 6 weeks after he signed for $41.4 million he has 1 goal the Leafs would love that one.

19 minutes ago, mulcher said:

that's right send Lindholm our best defensive Dman

best Dman? he was the worst defender the couple of games (give aways and 2vs1 he not knows to defend)...

then comes Manson... also terrible this month.... ok in his defend, almost the whole team played terrible.

best defender is Cam.

Kesler I would give away... if you really want to make a rebuild.

Edited by Spike1981

36 minutes ago, mulcher said:

Oh that's right send Lindholm our best defensive Dman the one that scored the most goals on defence last season for Nylander, 6 weeks after he signed for $41.4 million he has 1 goal the Leafs would love that one.

If I were going to bet on who would be traded it would be Manson. Which would be pretty sad since Theo was sacrificed to keep him here. 

10 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

So we've lost two Swedes so far. I wounder who's next on the hit list? Maybe another defenseman?

Maybe it’s too early in the morning for me but who are the 2 Swedes we have gotten rid of Aberg and who else? 

Best of Luck to Pontus Aberg...Welcome to the Ducks  Justin Kloos...Ok Just little put my Thoughs on this...What is the Strategy for this Trade...You sent Pontus to a Team Ducks are battling against. NOT ONLY That But he is going to looking for Revenge.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

36 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Maybe it’s too early in the morning for me but who are the 2 Swedes we have gotten rid of Aberg and who else? 

Pettersson

In a vacuum, I hate this trade.

But when I consider that it's not really Aberg for Kloos, it's swapping Aberg out of the lineup for Jones or Terry, I don't mind too much. Time to start playing the kids.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

best Dman? he was the worst defender the couple of games (give aways and 2vs1 he not knows to defend)...

then comes Manson... also terrible this month.... ok in his defend, almost the whole team played terrible.

best defender is Cam.

Kesler I would give away... if you really want to make a rebuild.

Best defensive Dman we have, Fowler is an offensive dman

3 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

If I were going to bet on who would be traded it would be Manson. Which would be pretty sad since Theo was sacrificed to keep him here. 

It all depends which team would he fit into Toronto were rumoured to want him when Nylander was on hold out.Other teams might be interested in Manson.

11 minutes ago, mulcher said:

It all depends which team would he fit into Toronto were rumoured to want him when Nylander was on hold out.Other teams might be interested in Manson.

If Manson is traded then Murray should be fired into the sun.

• Like 1