DuckFan4Life

Ducks 2018-2019 Season

328 posts in this topic

I really hate to start a new topic but I couldn't figure out where to put the following:

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-open-25th-anniversary-season-tomorrow-in-san-jose/c-300574036

Highlights:

One of my pet peeves:  Anaheim has opened its regular season on the road in 20 of its 25 seasons, including seven of the last eight seasons dating to 2010-11.

Anaheim's season-opening roster features six NHL rookies, including Max Comtois, Isac Lundestrom, Marcus Pettersson, Kiefer Sherwood, Sam Steel and Troy Terry.

Anaheim's 2018-19 regular-season roster of 23 players includes 14 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders.

Returning players from 2017-18:
Andrew Cogliano - LW
Cam Fowler - D
Ryan Getzlaf - C
John Gibson - G
Adam Henrique - C
Hampus Lindholm - D
Josh Manson - D
Ryan Miller - G
Brandon Montour - D
Marcus Pettersson - D
Rickard Rakell - C
Jakob Silfverberg - RW
Troy Terry - RW

Arrived via free agency/trade/waivers:
Pontus Aberg - LW
Brian Gibbons - LW
Carter Rowney - C
Luke Schenn - D
Ben Street - C
Andrej Sustr - D

In the system:
Max Comtois - LW
Isac Lundestrom - C
Kiefer Sherwood - RW
Sam Steel - C

I'm a little confused with Ben Street. CapFriendly said he was waived on the 28th and and cleared waivers on the 29th. No mention of being recalled.

56 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I'm a little confused with Ben Street. CapFriendly said he was waived on the 28th and and cleared waivers on the 29th. No mention of being recalled.

Via The Hockey Writer's :

"Players placed on waivers are on waivers for 24 hours, if no team claims them then they can be assigned to the minors. However, a team doesn’t have to place a player in the minors. [In 2010], the Philadelphia Flyers placed Nikolay Zherdev on waivers, no team made a claim. The Flyers then had 30 days to assign Zherdev to the Adirondak Phantoms. The Flyers chose not to do this, and after the 30 days expired Zherdev had to stay on the team."

The Ducks have 30 days to assign Street to the minors without requiring Street to pass through waivers again. He can still remain on the team. After 30 days from the time the Ducks waived Street, Street would have to go on waivers again. I cannot recall the player's name but the Ducks did this once before.  

Edit: Typos

Edited by SelanneFTW_30
3 people like this

It can be a timing issue.  BM might think most of the other teams are set and wouldn't grab him off waivers now, but might if injuries pop up in the first few regular season games.

So, wanting some future flexibility as (hopefully) some forwards come off injury, but still needing his services NOW, they waive him at the time with the least risk of losing him, and get the flexibility throughout October to move him down at whim.

What I don't remember is if they move him down, then back up, if he has to clear waivers again to go back down, if we're still within the 30 days.  My guess is that even if they wanted to move someone (waiver exempt) up to play in his spot, to test stuff out, they'd just healthy scratch Street and keep him up for most of the 30 days to retain the flexibility, and Street is fine with that because he gets to practice with the NHL team even though he's scratched for a game or three. 

15 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I really hate to start a new topic but I couldn't figure out where to put the following:

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-open-25th-anniversary-season-tomorrow-in-san-jose/c-300574036

Highlights:

One of my pet peeves:  Anaheim has opened its regular season on the road in 20 of its 25 seasons, including seven of the last eight seasons dating to 2010-11.

Anaheim's season-opening roster features six NHL rookies, including Max Comtois, Isac Lundestrom, Marcus Pettersson, Kiefer Sherwood, Sam Steel and Troy Terry.

Anaheim's 2018-19 regular-season roster of 23 players includes 14 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders.

Returning players from 2017-18:
Andrew Cogliano - LW
Cam Fowler - D
Ryan Getzlaf - C
John Gibson - G
Adam Henrique - C
Hampus Lindholm - D
Josh Manson - D
Ryan Miller - G
Brandon Montour - D
Marcus Pettersson - D
Rickard Rakell - C
Jakob Silfverberg - RW
Troy Terry - RW

Arrived via free agency/trade/waivers:
Pontus Aberg - LW
Brian Gibbons - LW
Carter Rowney - C
Luke Schenn - D
Ben Street - C
Andrej Sustr - D

In the system:
Max Comtois - LW
Isac Lundestrom - C
Kiefer Sherwood - RW
Sam Steel - C

FIRED UP for Tonite...Let us ring in 25th Anniversary in time of Reflection,optimistim and Joy. Ducks are ready they will look for San Jose,Find San Jose and then DESTROY THEM....VENGANCE and Redemption will be the theme TONITE...GO DUCKS!. I have some hopes for this team to hit the ground running with Youth,Experince and speed.:t_hot_unread::D

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 person likes this

@Andy_Zilch

Shocking stat: the Ducks organization will begin the season without 12 players. Eight forwards are injured, one defenseman is injured, two went overseas & one is unsigned. This is based upon Deven Sideroff who left the Gulls preseason game on Monday & did not return but #noupdate

I like this line-up. The team got younger and faster at the forward positions which was needed. Will they be able to compete with the upper tier competition? We'll have to see so I'm not setting a high expectation. 

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

Well.  Capfriendly page was interesting this morning:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/ducks

I've never understood the season-opening injured reserve designation for guys who are not going to be on the big club anyway. Theo got that designation a few years ago when he was clearly going back to juniors as soon as he was healthy and it made zero sense to me. Anyone know if there is some cap benefit to having minor leaguers and junior players on SOIR to start the season?

First to score. Check.

Score on the power play. Check.

Gibson playing great. Check.

Playing a fast game. Check

Fun game to watch with a high score. Check

Getzlaf not making a lame behind the back pass. Well, we can't be perfect. But I have to say Getz was able to play fast and move the puck fast

So funny listening to the announcers build up the Sharks, but as the game went on they start to single out our players as good players.

Once again we are underestimated and I have no problem with that. Love to start the season with a win.

GO DUCKS !!!

1 person likes this

The boys really stepped it up.  Looked out played in the first two periods and still in the game due to Gibson.  But seemed to take over in the 3rd period.  And a little luck (Montour) doesn't hurt along the way!  A good start (especially on the road) and one to build upon.  Let's Go Ducks!

39 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Kesler, Eaves and Kase are just on IR so their salaries still go against the cap. Perry and Holzer are on LTIR so the Ducks can, if they want, get "relief" with regard to their cap hit and cap limit [not "salaries"] . 

Fixed it a bit. 

The LTIR doesn't defray the outlay of the owner in terms of salary, rather, it increases that burden if uses to employ a replacement player.  The LTIR just allows us to go over the cap limit, up to a max amount equal to the LTIR salaries, and only if certain spending criteria are met (I think the criteria has to be met before they go on LTIR. 

It's convoluted and I forget all the ins and outs.

For anyone who pays more attention to the draft than I; wasn't Comtois initially projected as a Top 10 pick (early on) then fell to the Ducks in the 2nd round?

Ducks can't seem to shake the injury bug once again. Gibson will have to be doing some heavy carrying early on. The kids will be getting a lot of responsibility early. Will be interesting to see who steps up.

A few changes here at #NHLDucks practice with Getzlaf not on the ice. Henrique centering Rakell and Terry; Steel centering Comtois and Silfverberg; Lundestrom centering Cogliano and Sherwood. Fourth line unchanged.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

A few changes here at #NHLDucks practice with Getzlaf not on the ice. Henrique centering Rakell and Terry; Steel centering Comtois and Silfverberg; Lundestrom centering Cogliano and Sherwood. Fourth line unchanged.

Not too bad of lines. They have potential. Obviously we need Getz and hope he gets back soon fully healed. Also hope that Kess, Eaves and Perry come back at 100% to help out but something is telling me that all three of these vets will not be able to be what they used to be or come close to it. Good thing this is Eaves last year at least. Kess and CP I think will just be hampered with lingering effects and be shadows of themselves and the Ducks will just have to kick off a couple of kids and continue to pay them till either their contracts are up or until one of them is bought out. 

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Whelp. Welcome to the NHL Lundestrom. I sure hope they aren't rushing the kid.

Pretty big deal that the 23rd overall pick is already playing in the NHL.

5 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Anaheim Ducks Place Pontus Aberg On Waivers prohockeyrumors.com/2018/10/anahei…

Interesting. With Getz going down, I figured there was going to be a revitalization of Rakell or Cogs at center experiment. Leaving the wing open for a spot. It's Lundestrom though.

With so many injuries you can't fault Carlyle but with some kids I sure do hope Eakins is calling a realtor for a new house.

1 person likes this

On 10/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

Interesting....

Seravalli makes some predictions that he thinks could go down

Frank Seravalli of TSN: Seravalli makes his yearly predictions again this season for each team.

Seravalli thinks the Anaheim Ducks could fire Randy Carlyle by Christmas and replace him with Dallas Eakins.

Very Interesting but anyways...raise your hand if you are impress by Max Comtois over the past 2 games....IF so good I am eager to see what he does next.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

8 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Sherwood is gonna stick.  Aberg may be reclaimed.  

1 person likes this

On 10/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, DuckFan4Life said:

WTF?

Weird.  WEIRD.  Did he do something bad in the locker room?  Or did he stink on ice?

On 10/5/2018 at 3:20 PM, DuckFan4Life said:

Interesting....

Seravalli makes some predictions that he thinks could go down

Frank Seravalli of TSN: Seravalli makes his yearly predictions again this season for each team.

Seravalli thinks the Anaheim Ducks could fire Randy Carlyle by Christmas and replace him with Dallas Eakins.

That will be tough since the Ducks are going to have 74 Points and be undefeated at the holiday break.

3 people like this

39 minutes ago, Fisix said:

WTF?

Weird.  WEIRD.  Did he do something bad in the locker room?  Or did he stink on ice?

He kinda sucks. We're talking about a player who managed to get cut by the miserable Oilers a week ago. He likely would've never been claimed if the injury bug didn't hit in camp. Only noticeable thing he did as a Duck was slewfoot a goalie. Maybe it's a bit too early to say but the other new additions to the roster have already been far more impressive. 

2 people like this

I'm not going to judge Aberg from the one game he had with little time with this team. He's just another cheap 4th line winger.