The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Ducks 2018-2019 Season

25th Anniversary Season is over and concluded...Much can be said bout it...One thing I know is this season will be known for the Injuries,Inconsistency and Stubborn Management that cost us a chance in Stanley Cup Playoffs. We hope this team would make it...But watching them Live in Oct...I notice something "Off" With the team. This is one of the Worst Season BUT This is NOT  THE "WORST". Many times our Ducks fell short and many times they did not live to what we wanted. 35-37-10 80pts is unacceptable as is Lack of Effort from losing games to Losing skid early this year. Imho this team is flawed and needs to set things right....This offseason will be VERY VERY IMPORTANT for the Ducks and us all.

I do feel that we will see Trades that can help this team and Ducks will be Revived and RISE ONCE MORE.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:21 PM, PetrSykora said:

Welp, it's finally over. Just to drive home how miserable of a season this was, Getzlaf's team high 48 points was the second lowest in franchise history. The only year lower was when a rookie Kariya put up 39 in a lockout shortened half-year at the start of the dead puck era. Even the first year Mighty Duck goon squad had two guys in Yake and Corkum who'd lead these current Ducks in points. Ouch.

Speaking of guys like Yake and Corkum, I decided to compile this perfectly pointless list of Ducks' season point leaders year-by-year over the 25 seasons (could be an even 24 if you count the halves of 94-95 and 12-13 as one full season). So, over the 25 years that Ducks actually faced off and then had their exit interviews, a grand total of 3 different persons led the Ducks in points other than the 'infamous 4' of you know who. An interesting observation can be made that the team was largely carried by two sets of 'twin' players, however you can single out four distinct 'eras' of the team, the last one ending just now - we will be stepping into the 5th competitive iteration of Ducks - at the end of the 25th actual season, giving us roughly 6 years per a competitive Ducks generation.

2 Major Decades:

'Kariya - Selanne' 1994 - 2007

'Getzlaf - Perry' 2007 - Current (2019-20?)

4 Major Competitive Team Iterations:

'Late 90s' 1996 - 1999

'The 03' run' 2001 - 2003

'The 07' Run' 2005 - 2008

'Meaningless Pacific Division Champs' 2013-2017

The most recent one appears to be the longest outburst of sustained success, but it didn't bring results bar one memorable WCF against CHI (i still think if we won that we'd go on to win the Cup too). Each of bursts is 2-3 years long, followed by 2-5 years of mediocrity. I'd say we've reached the peak of the current slump and should be on the upswing for the next 5 years - 2 years growing out of it, then 3 years all in as the 5th successful version of the team. But that's pure speculation, of course.

As already mentioned above, only Yake, Fedorov and Rakell managed to lead the team for once, in other years it was exclusively: Getzlaf - 8 times, Selanne and Kariya - both 6 times, Perry - 2 times. Personally i'd roll Perry into the Y-F-R team, 2 is too little.

I don't know what for I made this list for, it's uh...just what it is.

# -> Year -> Point-per-Game by leader -> Actual Points -> Name -> * Note

1. 93-94 - 0.634 - 52 Terry Yake
  2. 94-95 - 0.830 - 39 PK9 * half
  3. 95-96 - 1.317 - 108 PK9
  4. 96-97 - 1.397 - 109 TS8
  5. 97-98 - 1.178 - 86 TS8
  6. 98-99 - 1.427 - 107 TS8
  7. 99-00 - 1.162 - 86 PK9
  8. 00-01 - 1.015 - 67 PK9
  9. 01-02 - 0.695 - 57 PK9
  10. 02-03 - 0.988 - 81 PK9
  11. 03-04 - 0.812 - 65 Sergei Fedorov
  12. 05-06 - 1.125 - 90 TS8
  13. 06-07 - 1.146 - 94 TS8
  14. 07-08 - 1.065 - 82 RG15
  15. 08-09 - 1.124 - 91 RG15
  16. 09-10 - 0.927 - 76 CP10
  17. 10-11 - 1.195 - 98 CP10
  18. 11-12 - 0.805 - 66 TS8
  19. 12-13 - 1.114 - 49 RG15 * half
  20. 13-14 - 1.130 - 87 RG15
  21. 14-15 - 0.909 - 70 RG15
  22. 15-16 - 0.818 - 63 RG15
  23. 16-17 - 0.987 - 73 RG15
  24. 17-18 - 0.896 - 69 Rickard Rakell
  25. 18-19 - 0.716 - 48 RG15

Getz and Pears never surpassed 1.2 Points-per-Game while leading the club, but this is comparing apples to oranges in terms of amount of offence in hockey at the time. Ducks never had a 110-or-more player. In terms of pure points scored - this was indeed the worst season ever in the history of Ducks franchise - totals below 50 were recorded exclusively in halved-by-lockout seasons and, as @PetrSykora said, the inaugural season also included Corkum @ 51 to beat this year's Getz. However, point-per-game wise, Getz with 0.7 this year is slightly better than Yake and Kariya in their weakest team leads in points.

Noticeably, when browsing each roster player's full career stats - for the period that began after 2012 - the last time we missed - this was indeed the worst year. Whole team just sucked, thanks Randy. Hope there's nowhere to go but up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I sort of object to "'Meaningless Pacific Division Champs' 2013-2017".

It's not the cup by any means, but it's by necessity playoff hockey, and some teams don't have it as good.

10 hours ago, Fisix said:

I sort of object to "'Meaningless Pacific Division Champs' 2013-2017".

It's not the cup by any means, but it's by necessity playoff hockey, and some teams don't have it as good.

I agree, we have it better than most, but the amount of trash we had to endure with the 'Game 7 Curse' and then the Randy Re-Hire prompted this name out of negative emotion. Most likely, after some years, we will look at this stretch as a bright spot, something compared to the 03' run or close behind.

If I had to come up with other names for that last time period, here they are:

"Getzlaf makes Anaheim Great again"

"The Nuevo Twins Era"

"Randy Boudreau and Bruce Carlyle years"

"Rise of the Fowler"

"THIS. TEAM."

"The comeback flopsters"

"2003 Draft Galore"

Edited by Aksun
Edit: for the future, copying the silly Shorks: Teenage Mutant Ninja Terry TMNT! Man of STEEL and Duckdiana'Jones
  • Like 1

IF the Injury Bug was less...Ducks would have been ready for the Playoffs...but who knows. Right now Let's focus on celebration of this team's Unique History.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Can we also take a second to acknowledge the travesty that Kesler isn't one of the finalists for the Masterson? Neither being nominated by the team. Why? The guy set a goal and did everything possible to get to 1000 games. Everything you read is hard core training to even play. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Can we also take a second to acknowledge the travesty that Kesler isn't one of the finalists for the Masterson? Neither being nominated by the team. Why? The guy set a goal and did everything possible to get to 1000 games. Everything you read is hard core training to even play. 

See: Cogliano, Andrew. If you're on the Ducks', you're boned. Must be league's payback for the Jiggy Conn Smythe way back when.

Or the league just hates the Ducks.

Or both.

The last season was one of the roughest.  There were those seasons where the team started slow for a few years, or that handful of years where the teamwide passing game was brutal (at the peak of the drop-pass-turnover era).  But so much of this season was the frustration of injuries with the frustration of lack of passion stacked on.  I almost want to say we're due for a uniform change, just to put this season clearly in the rearview mirror.  What season was worse than this last one?

Edited by Thom-74

38 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

The last season was one of the roughest.  There were those seasons where the team started slow for a few years, or that handful of years where the teamwide passing game was brutal (at the peak of the drop-pass-turnover era).  But so much of this season was the frustration of injuries with the frustration of lack of passion stacked on.  I almost want to say we're due for a uniform change, just to put this season clearly in the rearview mirror.  What season was worse than this last one?

The least amount of points and fewest wins was the 00-01 season. I guess you can blame the Y2K bug for that. More recently, it was the 11-12 season where they finished with an almost identical record as this season. In 11 seasons under Disney, they missed the playoffs 8 times. Under the Samueli's they missed the playoffs only 3 times including this season. For a comparison, the Ducks and Panthers started at the same time. The Panthers have made the playoffs only 5 times in their history. I would say in the Samueli area, we have been pretty spoiled with playoff hockey.

It isn't the missing or making the playoffs, but the how and why in my opinion. The first ten seasons were fun, even though they only made a few playoffs in the process.

5 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

It isn't the missing or making the playoffs, but the how and why in my opinion. The first ten seasons were fun, even though they only made a few playoffs in the process.

The 11-12 season is when Carlyle was fired. The modern era Ducks worst regular seasons were with Carlyle behind the bench except for the Cup season of course. The worst goal differential was the 00-01 season. The worst modern era goal differential was the 11-12 season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

The 11-12 season is when Carlyle was fired. The modern era Ducks worst regular seasons were with Carlyle behind the bench except for the Cup season of course. The worst goal differential was the 00-01 season. The worst modern era goal differential was the 11-12 season.

+1. So we had a -50ish if I remember right this year. I'm guessing those two were -70ish? Goal differential is a better measure. Still, how do you capture lack of skill vs. lack of effort?

That 11-12 season had a high turnover rate as well if I remember right.

3 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

I think that the time from getting swept by SJ to the firing of Carlyle in February, was one of worst stretches of hockey that I have ever seen the organization play. They were embarrassingly bad, regardless of who was in the lineup. My frustration has been with management more than anything. They started looking like a functional team after firing Carlyle, but it's going to take a lot more than a uni change and probably a couple of more seasons before this team is sniffing a WCF appearance...assuming the prospects are better than expected and Murray makes a couple of savvy trades.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that the time from getting swept by SJ to the firing of Carlyle in February, was one of worst stretches of hockey that I have ever seen the organization play. They were embarrassingly bad, regardless of who was in the lineup. My frustration has been with management more than anything. They started looking like a functional team after firing Carlyle, but it's going to take a lot more than a uni change and probably a couple of more seasons before this team is sniffing a WCF appearance...assuming the prospects are better than expected and Murray makes a couple of savvy trades.

I could see the Ducks in the WCF once they're down to only one bad contract on the books.  Whoever gets traded in the offseason... I'm guessing that's the player that wasn't playing if they weren't 110%.  We still need a superstar or two to build around, but otherwise we have a lot of good pieces. The right coach and a couple seasons of making good trades / signings could go a long way.

Edited by Thom-74

9 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

I could see the Ducks in the WCF once they're down to only one bad contract on the books.  Whoever gets traded in the offseason... I'm guessing that's the player that wasn't playing if they weren't 110%.  We still need a superstar or two to build around, but otherwise we have a lot of good pieces. The right coach and a couple seasons of making good trades / signings could go a long way.

Yep. Goes without saying that star, core pieces are the hardest to acquire. Until we get that foundation set, then I don’t think getting bad contracts off of the books is going to be enough to get back to the WCF. I’m not overly hyped on our prospect pool in the sense that I am not counting on anyone to carry the mantles of 15 and 10 and even 17. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we have a Rakell caliber player lol. 

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yep. Goes without saying that star, core pieces are the hardest to acquire. Until we get that foundation set, then I don’t think getting bad contracts off of the books is going to be enough to get back to the WCF. I’m not overly hyped on our prospect pool in the sense that I am not counting on anyone to carry the mantles of 15 and 10 and even 17. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we have a Rakell caliber player lol. 

Rackell if he returns to form, is one of those stars.  That said, I wonder if he is who GMBM was talking about not playing hurt. If he is, he'll probably be moved this offseason.

10 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

Rackell if he returns to form, is one of those stars.  That said, I wonder if he is who GMBM was talking about not playing hurt. If he is, he'll probably be moved this offseason.

If BM moves Rakell he can move himself afterwards. 

18 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

Posted in the injury thread that none of Silfverberg, Lindholm, or Rakell is playing for Sweden due to injuries. 

St. Louis moving on to the second round from last place just highlights how important changing the scenery of coaching can be.  Their new coach is no Messiah, but the change of voice allowed what is a decently talented roster to play to their potential.

The Blues are the alternate universe Ducks if GMIHCBM had pulled the trigger when he should have.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, gotchabari said:

St. Louis moving on to the second round from last place just highlights how important changing the scenery of coaching can be.  Their new coach is no Messiah, but the change of voice allowed what is a decently talented roster to play to their potential.

The Blues are the alternate universe Ducks if GMIHCBM had pulled the trigger when he should have.

Indeed that is true goes to show again the need for New Coach to inject New Vision.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

10 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Definitely agree with the importance of the coaching change, but St. Louis also has a much better roster than we do. With the moves that they made in the offseason, particularly O'Reilly, they were clearly gearing up for a run and we weren't.  I don't think that this current Ducks team beats a Winnipeg or gets out of the first round regardless of who the coach is. 

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Definitely agree with the importance of the coaching change, but St. Louis also has a much better roster than we do. With the moves that they made in the offseason, particularly O'Reilly, they were clearly gearing up for a run and we weren't.  I don't think that this current Ducks team beats a Winnipeg or gets out of the first round regardless of who the coach is. 

No matter how bad this team is, if we make it to The Playoffs we always stand a chance against winnipeg and calgary. We may get blown out by every other team in the West but those two teams fear us :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

No matter how bad this team is, if we make it to The Playoffs we always stand a chance against winnipeg and calgary. We may get blown out by every other team in the West but those two teams fear us :lol:

They fear our Ducks because they are Not us.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 4/23/2019 at 4:12 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Surprises can happen in the play offs. We went 10-6-1 in the last two months of the season and beat some play off teams during that stretch. By no means would I consider us a title contender had we snuck into the play offs, and it would not have surprised me had we got swept, but upsets do happen in the play offs like both top seeds getting knocked out this year. It's not always how you get to the play offs that matters. What matters is what you do once you get there. 

If our team hires the right coach and makes the right moves this off season (draft, free agency, trades), I think a return to the play offs next season is a possibility. Though whether that is in the team's best interest rather than committing to a rebuild is debatable. I'm a supporter of trying to stay competitive and make moves to maintain and improve competitiveness, but I can see the flip side that some of our fan base argue that we need to rebuild to replace our ageing core. 

1 hour ago, Mike8272 said:

Surprises can happen in the play offs. We went 10-6-1 in the last two months of the season and beat some play off teams during that stretch. By no means would I consider us a title contender had we snuck into the play offs, and it would not have surprised me had we got swept, but upsets do happen in the play offs like both top seeds getting knocked out this year. It's not always how you get to the play offs that matters. What matters is what you do once you get there. 

If our team hires the right coach and makes the right moves this off season (draft, free agency, trades), I think a return to the play offs next season is a possibility. Though whether that is in the team's best interest rather than committing to a rebuild is debatable. I'm a supporter of trying to stay competitive and make moves to maintain and improve competitiveness, but I can see the flip side that some of our fan base argue that we need to rebuild to replace our ageing core. 

Getzlaf, Perry & Kesler are getting there in age but we have a solid core in place. If Getz can stay healthy he's still very much a #1 Center. A new (good) coach will go a long way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Getzlaf, Perry & Kesler are getting there in age but we have a solid core in place. If Getz can stay healthy he's still very much a #1 Center. A new (good) coach will go a long way.

Of the three, I think Kesler may be done. Goes on LTIR and we get some cap space. Perry will have a full summer to strengthen the knee, and I think he could surprise. Getz is Getz. Completely agree a new coach and the infusion of youth may have this team surprising a few people. Of course, I believe in Santa, the Easter bunny and I have a pet unicorn. 

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Of the three, I think Kesler may be done. Goes on LTIR and we get some cap space. Perry will have a full summer to strengthen the knee, and I think he could surprise. Getz is Getz. Completely agree a new coach and the infusion of youth may have this team surprising a few people. Of course, I believe in Santa, the Easter bunny and I have a pet unicorn. 

It would not surprise me If he decides to call it a career I mean Health and Family comes first...Also Ducks do not be surprise Ducks Draft a Center to ensure Center position is not weaken.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, Mike8272 said:

I agree that the Ducks might be a playoff team next year depending on what moves they make this offseason, Getzlaf being a 70 pt guy and Gibson being very good again. It also depends on what other teams in the West do. I don’t see them competing for the Cup or upsetting their way to one if they manage to get in though. Getzlaf’s injury history is creeping up and isn’t likely to improve at age 34. The fact that the Ducks still rely on him as much as they do isn’t very comforting. 

I think that it mainly comes down to how good do you think our prospects will end up being and whether they can carry the franchise going forward. I’m skeptical about that and hope our pool is better than projected.

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fowl said:

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

Absolutely agree.