Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Ducks 2018-2019 Season

Recommended Posts

St. Louis moving on to the second round from last place just highlights how important changing the scenery of coaching can be.  Their new coach is no Messiah, but the change of voice allowed what is a decently talented roster to play to their potential.

The Blues are the alternate universe Ducks if GMIHCBM had pulled the trigger when he should have.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gotchabari said:

St. Louis moving on to the second round from last place just highlights how important changing the scenery of coaching can be.  Their new coach is no Messiah, but the change of voice allowed what is a decently talented roster to play to their potential.

The Blues are the alternate universe Ducks if GMIHCBM had pulled the trigger when he should have.

Indeed that is true goes to show again the need for New Coach to inject New Vision.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gotchabari said:

St. Louis moving on to the second round from last place just highlights how important changing the scenery of coaching can be.  Their new coach is no Messiah, but the change of voice allowed what is a decently talented roster to play to their potential.

The Blues are the alternate universe Ducks if GMIHCBM had pulled the trigger when he should have.

Definitely agree with the importance of the coaching change, but St. Louis also has a much better roster than we do. With the moves that they made in the offseason, particularly O'Reilly, they were clearly gearing up for a run and we weren't.  I don't think that this current Ducks team beats a Winnipeg or gets out of the first round regardless of who the coach is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Definitely agree with the importance of the coaching change, but St. Louis also has a much better roster than we do. With the moves that they made in the offseason, particularly O'Reilly, they were clearly gearing up for a run and we weren't.  I don't think that this current Ducks team beats a Winnipeg or gets out of the first round regardless of who the coach is. 

No matter how bad this team is, if we make it to The Playoffs we always stand a chance against winnipeg and calgary. We may get blown out by every other team in the West but those two teams fear us :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

No matter how bad this team is, if we make it to The Playoffs we always stand a chance against winnipeg and calgary. We may get blown out by every other team in the West but those two teams fear us :lol:

They fear our Ducks because they are Not us.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 4:12 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Definitely agree with the importance of the coaching change, but St. Louis also has a much better roster than we do. With the moves that they made in the offseason, particularly O'Reilly, they were clearly gearing up for a run and we weren't.  I don't think that this current Ducks team beats a Winnipeg or gets out of the first round regardless of who the coach is. 

Surprises can happen in the play offs. We went 10-6-1 in the last two months of the season and beat some play off teams during that stretch. By no means would I consider us a title contender had we snuck into the play offs, and it would not have surprised me had we got swept, but upsets do happen in the play offs like both top seeds getting knocked out this year. It's not always how you get to the play offs that matters. What matters is what you do once you get there. 

If our team hires the right coach and makes the right moves this off season (draft, free agency, trades), I think a return to the play offs next season is a possibility. Though whether that is in the team's best interest rather than committing to a rebuild is debatable. I'm a supporter of trying to stay competitive and make moves to maintain and improve competitiveness, but I can see the flip side that some of our fan base argue that we need to rebuild to replace our ageing core. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike8272 said:

Surprises can happen in the play offs. We went 10-6-1 in the last two months of the season and beat some play off teams during that stretch. By no means would I consider us a title contender had we snuck into the play offs, and it would not have surprised me had we got swept, but upsets do happen in the play offs like both top seeds getting knocked out this year. It's not always how you get to the play offs that matters. What matters is what you do once you get there. 

If our team hires the right coach and makes the right moves this off season (draft, free agency, trades), I think a return to the play offs next season is a possibility. Though whether that is in the team's best interest rather than committing to a rebuild is debatable. I'm a supporter of trying to stay competitive and make moves to maintain and improve competitiveness, but I can see the flip side that some of our fan base argue that we need to rebuild to replace our ageing core. 

Getzlaf, Perry & Kesler are getting there in age but we have a solid core in place. If Getz can stay healthy he's still very much a #1 Center. A new (good) coach will go a long way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Getzlaf, Perry & Kesler are getting there in age but we have a solid core in place. If Getz can stay healthy he's still very much a #1 Center. A new (good) coach will go a long way.

Of the three, I think Kesler may be done. Goes on LTIR and we get some cap space. Perry will have a full summer to strengthen the knee, and I think he could surprise. Getz is Getz. Completely agree a new coach and the infusion of youth may have this team surprising a few people. Of course, I believe in Santa, the Easter bunny and I have a pet unicorn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Of the three, I think Kesler may be done. Goes on LTIR and we get some cap space. Perry will have a full summer to strengthen the knee, and I think he could surprise. Getz is Getz. Completely agree a new coach and the infusion of youth may have this team surprising a few people. Of course, I believe in Santa, the Easter bunny and I have a pet unicorn. 

It would not surprise me If he decides to call it a career I mean Health and Family comes first...Also Ducks do not be surprise Ducks Draft a Center to ensure Center position is not weaken.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mike8272 said:

Surprises can happen in the play offs. We went 10-6-1 in the last two months of the season and beat some play off teams during that stretch. By no means would I consider us a title contender had we snuck into the play offs, and it would not have surprised me had we got swept, but upsets do happen in the play offs like both top seeds getting knocked out this year. It's not always how you get to the play offs that matters. What matters is what you do once you get there. 

If our team hires the right coach and makes the right moves this off season (draft, free agency, trades), I think a return to the play offs next season is a possibility. Though whether that is in the team's best interest rather than committing to a rebuild is debatable. I'm a supporter of trying to stay competitive and make moves to maintain and improve competitiveness, but I can see the flip side that some of our fan base argue that we need to rebuild to replace our ageing core. 

I agree that the Ducks might be a playoff team next year depending on what moves they make this offseason, Getzlaf being a 70 pt guy and Gibson being very good again. It also depends on what other teams in the West do. I don’t see them competing for the Cup or upsetting their way to one if they manage to get in though. Getzlaf’s injury history is creeping up and isn’t likely to improve at age 34. The fact that the Ducks still rely on him as much as they do isn’t very comforting. 

I think that it mainly comes down to how good do you think our prospects will end up being and whether they can carry the franchise going forward. I’m skeptical about that and hope our pool is better than projected.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fowl said:

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

Absolutely agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fowl said:

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

We will see yet this offseason may prove to be important for the Ducks in their quest to Reclaim the Stanley Cup.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fowl said:

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

So much this. We won't be playing for The Cup anyway so giving him another year won't hurt us much. He hasn't been the same for quite some time but I'm sure gonna miss Perry's shenanigans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fowl said:

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

I don't think it is just about his salary. Moving Perry also allows Terry to get top-9 minutes and develop, which makes sense with the Ducks transitioning towards their youth. It opens up a spot for Sherwood on the 4th line also. Those guys will need to play more and see how they pan out. The re-signing of Silfverberg meant that something had to give. The Ducks aren't going to be sniffing a Cup for a couple of seasons (until after Perry's contract is up anyways) and moving on from him is more for the future, though it's going to be very tough to not see him be a lifetime Duck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I don't think it is just about his salary. Moving Perry also allows Terry to get top-9 minutes and develop, which makes sense with the Ducks transitioning towards their youth. It opens up a spot for Sherwood on the 4th line also. Those guys will need to play more and see how they pan out. The re-signing of Silfverberg meant that something had to give. The Ducks aren't going to be sniffing a Cup for a couple of seasons (until after Perry's contract is up anyways) and moving on from him is more for the future, though it's going to be very tough to not see him be a lifetime Duck.

I’m not even sure it does. The depth chart may get a shake up pretty soon, but as it currently stands (assuming Perry is gone) we’ve got Rakell, Silf, Kase, Terry, Sprong and Rowney on the RW depth chart ahead of Sherwood. Rakell can play LW and Rowney can play the 4C, but that still leaves 4 guys ahead of Sherwood on the right side (five if Perry stays). The left side is similar, with Raks, Ritchie, Jones, Shore and maybe even Comtois. Without more trades, it looks to me like Sherwood is more in position to be a 13/14 forward with a reserved seat on the Amtrak between Anaheim and San Diego. Which may get interesting because he only needs 10 more NHL games to lose his waivers exemption.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure most of the fans on The AllDucks board are having a celebration.  The amount of anti-Perry bile over there is off the charts.  I’m glad I no longer waste any more of my time there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’m not even sure it does. The depth chart may get a shake up pretty soon, but as it currently stands (assuming Perry is gone) we’ve got Rakell, Silf, Kase, Terry, Sprong and Rowney on the RW depth chart ahead of Sherwood. Rakell can play LW and Rowney can play the 4C, but that still leaves 4 guys ahead of Sherwood on the right side (five if Perry stays). The left side is similar, with Raks, Ritchie, Jones, Shore and maybe even Comtois. Without more trades, it looks to me like Sherwood is more in position to be a 13/14 forward with a reserved seat on the Amtrak between Anaheim and San Diego. Which may get interesting because he only needs 10 more NHL games to lose his waivers exemption.

 

It will be interesting to see what the Ducks do with Sprong. I don’t see him in a 4th line type role because he doesn’t check and is bad defensively. Sherwood seems like the better fit there. They could put Sprong on the left side if they move Ritchie. I’m thinking that Comtois is likely going to spend most of the year SD to develop where he’ll get plenty of ice time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Fowl said:

TSN has Corey Perry being traded or bought out.  Well, I think eating salary and dumping him is dumb at this point.  Let’s see how he is with the knee repaired.  Will he score 50 again?  Probably not, but 25-30 is not an overreach if he stays healthy.

Buying him out isn't terrible if the money is being freed up to bring a better replacement in. 

What would be terrible, is if our GM's going forward haven't learned their lesson on long term, no trade, high salary contracts. 5 years should be the longest a contract can be and keep an NTC. Regardless, it should be two of three, but not all three (term, ntc, price) for ufa contracts going forward. They're way too much of a handcuff when all three are together.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

Buying him out isn't terrible if the money is being freed up to bring a better replacement in. 

What would be terrible, is if our GM's going forward haven't learned their lesson on long term, no trade, high salary contracts. 5 years should be the longest a contract can be and keep an NTC. Regardless, it should be two of three, but not all three (term, ntc, price) for ufa contracts going forward. They're way too much of a handcuff when all three are together.

 

It does give them more options to bring someone in, but I don't think that putting that kind of policy on contracts is going to necessarily work. It depends on who and when they are given out. Sometimes you have to pay up to keep your star players, which Corey Perry definitely was and he deserved the contract he got while he was in his prime years. The problem is when you give out too many of them or bad contracts in general (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Bieksa) with two of those guys being over age 31 when they kicked in. I'd throw in Eaves also, who doesn't even have an NMC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It does give them more options to bring someone in, but I don't think that putting that kind of policy on contracts is going to necessarily work. It depends on who and when they are given out. Sometimes you have to pay up to keep your star players, which Corey Perry definitely was and he deserved the contract he got while he was in his prime years. The problem is when you give out too many of them or bad contracts in general (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Bieksa) with two of those guys being over age 31 when they kicked in. I'd throw in Eaves also, who doesn't even have an NMC. 

Perry deserved the money, but not 8 seasons worth. That was the main flaw (I said as much when it was signed). But a no move clause for the full contract only made it worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

Perry deserved the money, but not 8 seasons worth. That was the main flaw (I said as much when it was signed). But a no move clause for the full contract only made it worse.

He had won the Hart, Rocket Richard, a Stanley Cup and an Olympic gold medal while being one of the top 10 scorers in the league though. After 4-5 years of underpaying him for his production, the Ducks had to offer that term, money and NMC in order to keep him, knowing that his production would decline in his early to mid 30's and towards the latter half of his contract. As the cap rises, it becomes less of a financial issue as it takes up a smaller percentage each time that it goes up. Should the Ducks have let him walk or traded him instead? Teams usually do everything that they can to keep their superstar players and I would sign Perry 100/100 times under the circumstances. Even though they didn't win another Cup, I highly doubt that the Ducks win the 4 straight division titles, have 5 straight playoff appearances and 2 WCF appearances during Perry's current 8-year deal without him.

It has just unfortunately reached the point that with the current state of the Ducks, it makes sense to move on from him. I have bigger issues with Kesler's and Eaves' extensions as well as Bieksa's than I do with Perry's.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since many I see from Facebook,Twitter and this Board has debated about Perry just curious if our Ducks do Trade who do you think we want in return?..I hear comments asking Ducks need to get 2nd round pick to Prospects and Depth Players. IMHO This news is another example why Ducks offseason is very Important.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

He had won the Hart, Rocket Richard, a Stanley Cup and an Olympic gold medal while being one of the top 10 scorers in the league though. After 4-5 years of underpaying him for his production, the Ducks had to offer that term, money and NMC in order to keep him, knowing that his production would decline in his early to mid 30's and towards the latter half of his contract. As the cap rises, it becomes less of a financial issue as it takes up a smaller percentage each time that it goes up. Should the Ducks have let him walk or traded him instead? Teams usually do everything that they can to keep their superstar players and I would sign Perry 100/100 times under the circumstances. Even though they didn't win another Cup, I highly doubt that the Ducks win the 4 straight division titles, have 5 straight playoff appearances and 2 WCF appearances during Perry's current 8-year deal without him.

It has just unfortunately reached the point that with the current state of the Ducks, it makes sense to move on from him. I have bigger issues with Kesler's and Eaves' extensions as well as Bieksa's than I do with Perry's.

I would give him 5 years max at that 8 mil (almost 9 mil) per season, certainly not an nmc and 8 years.  The price point was fair enough, the length was ill advised.

Edited by Thom-74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

I would give him 5 years max at that 8 mil (almost 9 mil) per season, certainly not an nmc and 8 years.  The price point was fair enough, the length was ill advised.

Perry and Getzlaf were in the position of power. If those two walked then the Ducks would have had no one. Plus, the Ducks were fortunate enough that the contracts were made after the last lockout otherwise they could have ended up with Parise and Suter contracts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

I would give him 5 years max at that 8 mil (almost 9 mil) per season, certainly not an nmc and 8 years.  The price point was fair enough, the length was ill advised.

This is revisionist history in that absolutely every Duck fan that I'm aware of wanted to keep Perry and nothing short of eight years would have kept him in Anaheim.  Maybe there was some slight hemming and hawing of the "the last few years might be rough" variety, but that was always preceded by "I love that Perry is going to stay a Duck."  If you can point to a post or comment you wrote back when the deal was signed where you expressed disappointment at the deal and would rather Perry have walked, then I'll be willing to eat crow.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

This is revisionist history in that absolutely every Duck fan that I'm aware of wanted to keep Perry and nothing short of eight years would have kept him in Anaheim.  Maybe there was some slight hemming and hawing of the "the last few years might be rough" variety, but that was always preceded by "I love that Perry is going to stay a Duck."  If you can point to a post or comment you wrote back when the deal was signed where you expressed disappointment at the deal and would rather Perry have walked, then I'll be willing to eat crow.  

Pretty much exactly what we anticipated HAPPENED  - perhaps a year or two sooner than we hoped but it HAPPENED. Nice that he waived his NMC and I wish him well. He played hard for us and took  a lot of beatings . Sorry to see him go BUT he has to go to make our team better. IMHO

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, but if you don’t him the eight year deal, he goes somewhere else for the seven year deal.  When you’re a star, you have some leverage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

37 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

 Nice that he waived his NMC and I wish him well.

He’s waived his NMC in blanket form?  Has he approved a specific trade?  

News to me.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Pretty much exactly what we anticipated HAPPENED  - perhaps a year or two sooner than we hoped but it HAPPENED. Nice that he waived his NMC and I wish him well. He played hard for us and took  a lot of beatings . Sorry to see him go BUT he has to go to make our team better. IMHO

Yeah, I think we would have thought we would have had him till around now staying pretty legit...like Getzlaf still is. Same with Kesler...really thought we were gonna have him till around this time 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...