The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Ducks 2018-2019 Season

Well our broken up Ducks are coming home to roost.  We were lucky to get the surprise wins out of the gate, Those points will come in handy when we get most of our best players back on the ice.  Meanwhile, I'll be happy with any stolen points we can get over the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

The Fowler - Manson pairing is quickly approaching disaster territory.

On the flip side, Schenn-Pettersson has probably been our most steady 3rd pairing in a long time. Neither will probably score 10pts this season, but they take care of business in their own end.

I love the Schenn hits.  I think he's generally figured out how to do it without getting a penalty.  He does it hard enough that the opponents shy away when he bears down on them.  I haven't yet seen him take advantage of that, but I think it's lead to some positive play for the team in a few instances.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

After 8 game our Ducks are 5-3-1 11pts still First Place in Pacific Division. However watching two games in Anaheim There is Still Room for Improvement.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Wow...that's an understatement

Edited by DuxFan73

2 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

On the flip side, Schenn-Pettersson has probably been our most steady 3rd pairing in a long time. Neither will probably score 10pts this season, but they take care of business in their own end.

Yes, but considering how much consistent pressure opponents are getting, I'm not sure a Fowler-Montour pairing is what we want to see either. Both of those guys have been atrocious defending man-to-man in front of Gibson, and we should expect that opposing forwards will crash the net even harder if those two are paired together since there will be zero repercussions from either guy if Gibby gets run. 

While I still think most of the blame for our defensive zone time lies with the forwards and their inability to consistently execute a proper breakout, I agree with the consensus that something is very not right with our defense too. The scheme, the coaching from RC and Wilford, the pairings. I dunno, maybe all of the above. I wanted to see at least 10 games before making forming an opinion, and we're now there. Change them up. I'd actually like to see 47-42, 4-2, 28-26. Schenn could provide Fowler some nice protection and a little more freedom to jump into the play, and Monty could stand to defend against lesser competition than he currently is with Lindholm IMO. Besides, Pettersson-Montour might be an interesting pairing long-term, and since this season is apparently all about trying rookies and new schemes, why not give them a shot together?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yes, but considering how much consistent pressure opponents are getting, I'm not sure a Fowler-Montour pairing is what we want to see either. Both of those guys have been atrocious defending man-to-man in front of Gibson, and we should expect that opposing forwards will crash the net even harder if those two are paired together since there will be zero repercussions from either guy if Gibby gets run. 

While I still think most of the blame for our defensive zone time lies with the forwards and their inability to consistently execute a proper breakout, I agree with the consensus that something is very not right with our defense too. The scheme, the coaching from RC and Wilford, the pairings. I dunno, maybe all of the above. I wanted to see at least 10 games before making forming an opinion, and we're now there. Change them up. I'd actually like to see 47-42, 4-2, 28-26. Schenn could provide Fowler some nice protection and a little more freedom to jump into the play, and Monty could stand to defend against lesser competition than he currently is with Lindholm IMO. Besides, Pettersson-Montour might be an interesting pairing long-term, and since this season is apparently all about trying rookies and new schemes, why not give them a shot together?

I was thinking the same thing when I typed that sentence. 

4-26 is too much offense and too little defense. Both could use a more defensive presence anyway. 4-2, allows 4 to jump on the rush more freely and not worry about 42 trying to do it (and fail or just dump it in most of the time).

28-26 would be a little more risky. With Schenn, Pettersson doesn't have to worry about his partner jumping up on the rush and cover his holes when he gets caught. With Montour however, Pettersson might see more than the occasional 2 on 1. That said, I'm willing to try something new out rather than sticking with what is not working.

Edited by BlazingEtem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

It's incredible how bad both of them have looked.  Manson is falling down everywhere and Fowler seems confused as to why he's standing on ice with a long stick in his hands.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Fisix said:

I love the Schenn hits.  I think he's generally figured out how to do it without getting a penalty.  He does it hard enough that the opponents shy away when he bears down on them.  I haven't yet seen him take advantage of that, but I think it's lead to some positive play for the team in a few instances.

Yep he knows how to clear the net .Forwards will know if you stand in front of the net he is going to try and flatten them.

5 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

I was thinking the same thing when I typed that sentence. 

4-26 is too much offense and too little defense. Both could use a more defensive presence anyway. 4-2, allows 4 to jump on the rush more freely and not worry about 42 trying to do it (and fail or just dump it in most of the time).

28-26 would be a little more risky. With Schenn, Pettersson doesn't have to worry about his partner jumping up on the rush and cover his holes when he gets caught. With Montour however, Pettersson might see more than the occasional 2 on 1. That said, I'm willing to try something new out rather than sticking with what is not working.

I unfortunately haven't paid close attention to Pettersson mostly because he isn't making mistakes but I do remember one of our announcers mentioning what a good skater he is which is a huge benefit if you have to get back quickly. I'll have to pay more attention to him next game.

After 10 games....Ducks need to keep things going. Will they change or will they adapt?. Who knows but I hope for Bounce back....for 3 game losing slump is not good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Sustr on waivers. Not sure if that means we are calling someone up or if Holzer is back and healthy.

Given how bad Schenn has been, it's amazing that Sustr couldn't even beat him out for a regular spot.  My guess is that Dotchin is ready to step in.  Or roll in, depending on how much weight he lost.

59 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Given how bad Schenn has been, it's amazing that Sustr couldn't even beat him out for a regular spot.  My guess is that Dotchin is ready to step in.  Or roll in, depending on how much weight he lost.

Dotchin hasn't even played in San Diego yet. Maybe Holzer is about to be cleared as 7th d man?

10 minutes ago, nieder said:

Dotchin hasn't even played in San Diego yet. Maybe Holzer is about to be cleared as 7th d man?

Is Holzer an upgrade over anyone?  Maybe we just traded for Victor Hedman but haven't announced it yet.

12 minutes ago, nieder said:

Holzer is LTIR. I forgot what the "injury" was but I read that he was supposed to be out for a few months. I wish I remembered where I saw that. Maybe Welinski is going to get another shot?

Edited by perry_mvp

Just now, perry_mvp said:

Holzer is LTIR. I forgot what the "injury" was but I read that he was supposed to be out for a few months. I wish I remembered where I saw that. Maybe Welenski is going to get another shot?

Yeah I assume Holzer would get a 'conditioning assignment' in the AHL first anyway.

Edited by nieder

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Is Holzer an upgrade over anyone?  Maybe we just traded for Victor Hedman but haven't announced it yet.

We could trade for the 2007 versions of Niedermayer and Pronger and I don't think that would help what ails this team. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Holzer is LTIR. I forgot what the "injury" was but I read that he was supposed to be out for a few months. I wish I remembered where I saw that. Maybe Welinski is going to get another shot?

Anxiety.

It's just that when you see them live it totally shows them being outplayed!  I'm hopeful this will turn around as the hurt players heal.  Still I am not ready to jump ship on this year's version of the Anaheim Ducks!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 11:46 AM, BlazingEtem said:

You don't have to. He's been terrible in every game he's played for us so far.

And now Aberg is the Ducks leading goal scorer (at 4g). All it took was two games to do it.

The offense blows. Amongst everything else.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, nieder said:

We could trade for the 2007 versions of Niedermayer and Pronger and I don't think that would help what ails this team. 

I thought they were the coaches of that team? Randy was just eye candy.

19 minutes ago, poum said:

And now Aberg is the Ducks leading goal scorer (at 4g). All it took was two games to do it.

The offense blows. Amongst everything else.

Relying on Aberg to score all the goals is a bold strategy to say the least.

2 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Yes indeed it is, and it’s the only one we have at this point.

Rakell is the biggest disappointment so far this season. That’s being extremely critical on my part though. #firerandy

5 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Oh come on, you didn't put all your hopes and dreams on Edmonton's left over Trashville? Shame on you. :P

What frustrates me and All of us is Ducks Seem very out of sync. Watching the game last night has me concern with few factors...One of them is they are not scoring the first goal and setting the tone for the entire game. What really Bugs me of this team is the FACT they Do not seem abit focus and let alone the past few games including the one I attended has me wondering whether a Shakeup in both Coaching and Ducks Roster has to be made.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yeaitsme said:

Yes indeed it is, and it’s the only one we have at this point.

Rakell is the biggest disappointment so far this season. That’s being extremely critical on my part though. #firerandy

Who would have thought it was Perry that Rakell needed most, not Getzlaf!

8 minutes ago, bufbarnaby said:

Wow for real?

Hmm. At first I was thinking it may have been because Aberg is doing well but Street is listed as a center not a winger. Aberg is a right winger. Has Street been playing the wing?