The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Ducks 2018-2019 Season

3 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Hmm. At first I was thinking it may have been because Aberg is doing well but Street is listed as a center not a winger. Aberg is a right winger. Has Street been playing the wing? 

Murray is just playing musical chairs with the contracts.

My take right or wrong....I knew Murray's attempt to try to change the style of hockey we've been playing for the last several years would be a complete failure given the personnel we had.  Not surprised.  I'll give props to Aberg for his recent scoring outburst but when you have IMO, glorifed AHL'ers or even just AHL'ers in Gibbons, Rowney, Aberg, Street, Sherwood, Sustr, Blandisi.  Young kids in Steele, Comtois, Terry, Petterson, Welinski, Larrson etc.....what did we all expect or better yet management expect?  We got a little overzealous when the team came out of the gate and caught the first several opponents off guard but the league has quickly figured us out.  We have a mighty duck type roster right now and opponents can easily push us around and control the puck.  I don't know the actual numbers but it feels like for the last several games our opponents have controlled the puck for 2/3 of the game.  Hence the lopsided shot differential.  You can't win anything with that kind of puck control.

RC won't make it through the season IMO....but this is all on Murray.  His idea.  You can blame Carlyle all you want but this is BM's mess.

I might add too that opponents know they can push us around now too.  Once again evidence last night with Simmons being aggressive with us.  Who was going to stand up to him last night???  Getz?  He was maybe the only out there last night that would have any kind of a chance.

Edited by WolfgangDuck
  • Like 3

I'm going to post this here because I can't find the original argument about Fowler. The premise was Gorb5 didn't think hitting was the problem vs. the Fowler "y u no hit".

Fowler is currently 3rd in the League in blocked shots (38). He's one block away from the 1st slot.  He's clearly a-ok with putting himself in a very uncomfortable position. Yes, he won't murder someone in front of the net. It's not his game. We need to move on from that and look at what he does contribute. I'm not going to say the sweep by SJ was because Fowler was dead. But I doubt it happens with a healthy Fowler. There's at least one win.

Also of note; Linholm is 5th in blocked shots. A wee bit aways from Fowler (29). I gotta say, Montour at 14 in the League surprised the heck outta me. I expected Manson. Shoot, I expected Manson to be at a top 10 spot. But he's middle of the pack somewhere in no man's land.

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, poum said:

I'm going to post this here because I can't find the original argument about Fowler. The premise was Gorb5 didn't think hitting was the problem vs. the Fowler "y u no hit".

Fowler is currently 3rd in the League in blocked shots (38). He's one block away from the 1st slot.  He's clearly a-ok with putting himself in a very uncomfortable position. Yes, he won't murder someone in front of the net. It's not his game. We need to move on from that and look at what he does contribute. I'm not going to say the sweep by SJ was because Fowler was dead. But I doubt it happens with a healthy Fowler. There's at least one win.

Also of note; Linholm is 5th in blocked shots. A wee bit aways from Fowler (29). I gotta say, Montour at 14 in the League surprised the heck outta me. I expected Manson. Shoot, I expected Manson to be at a top 10 spot. But he's middle of the pack somewhere in no man's land.

This reminds me of the 2011-2012 season? (I think it was that season, I could be wrong) where we had lost so much talent that basically our entire defensive strategy was to block shots, so half of the team ended up pretty high in blocked shots for the season. 

59 minutes ago, nieder said:

This reminds me of the 2011-2012 season? (I think it was that season, I could be wrong) where we had lost so much talent that basically our entire defensive strategy was to block shots, so half of the team ended up pretty high in blocked shots for the season. 

Great point.  Wouldn't it be desireable for the team to not allow astronomical shots-against, thus not making it necessary for shot blocking heroics?  The injury potential, along with the obvious lack of decent D, says ‘let’s not do it that way’.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

Great point.  Wouldn't it be desireable for the team to not allow astronomical shots-against, thus not making it necessary for shot blocking heroics?  The injury potential, along with the obvious lack of decent D, says ‘let’s not do it that way’.

Well the idea is that if you have the puck more, you don't have to spend much time blocking shots because you aren't playing defense. But this team is just god awful at getting and maintaining possession of the puck.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nieder said:

Well the idea is that if you have the puck more, you don't have to spend much time blocking shots because you aren't playing defense. But this team is just god awful at getting and maintaining possession of the puck.

Who knew those were key parts of hockey?  Not our coaching staff, apparently.

17 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

My take right or wrong....I knew Murray's attempt to try to change the style of hockey we've been playing for the last several years would be a complete failure given the personnel we had.  Not surprised.  1. I'll give props to Aberg for his recent scoring outburst but when you have IMO, glorifed AHL'ers or even just AHL'ers in Gibbons, Rowney, Aberg, Street, Sherwood, Sustr, Blandisi.  Young kids in Steele, Comtois, Terry, Petterson, Welinski, Larrson etc.....what did we all expect or better yet management expect?  We got a little overzealous when the team came out of the gate and caught the first several opponents off guard but the league has quickly figured us out.  We have a mighty duck type roster right now and opponents can easily push us around and control the puck.  2. I don't know the actual numbers but it feels like for the last several games our opponents have controlled the puck for 2/3 of the game.  Hence the lopsided shot differential.  You can't win anything with that kind of puck control.

RC won't make it through the season IMO....but this is all on Murray.  His idea.  You can blame Carlyle all you want but this is BM's mess.

3. I might add too that opponents know they can push us around now too.  Once again evidence last night with Simmons being aggressive with us.  Who was going to stand up to him last night???  Getz?  He was maybe the only out there last night that would have any kind of a chance.

I'd like to counter on a couple points.

1. The original plan was not to play all these kids/journeymen all at once going into the season. Most of them, if not, all of them, only got their chance because this team was/is littered with injuries going into the start of the season. None of that is Murray's or even RC's fault. And even then, kids like Comtois, Pettersson, and even to some degree Steel and Lundestrom have been more than adequate this season. I haven't seen anyone blame those guys for our start to the season. I could be way off base, but it seems like the general consensus around here is that the bulk of the problems rest at the feet of the veterans of this team as well as injuries.

2. That sounds like a tactics/system. If everyone believes that these possession numbers and shot differentials aren't going to change if things stay the way they are, then BM's biggest fault is keeping RC on the staff in the offseason. I agree that BM has a hand in this mess...in the sense that he asked a coach to change his team's style rather than hiring a new one who already knew the style and system he wanted. The mess that we see in front of us though is RC's demonstration of trying to coach a team outside of his comfort zone and failing. That is on RC for failing to adapt to the new and changing NHL style of play.

3. Well Perry, Ritchie, and Manson were all out last night. There is 3 tough guys right there who like to mix it up. Luke Schenn is on the team and is tough...why didn't he play in that game and who is responsible for that?

3 hours ago, Pazonator said:

Lundestrom and Sherwood sent down Kossila recalled 

Interesting...Wonder if it was better if the Ducks had Kossila.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

16 hours ago, Pazonator said:

Lundestrom and Sherwood sent down Kossila recalled 

Looks like they're trying to balance their development.  Give then an occasional game or two in SD to work out some kinks, gain confidence, then come back up.

Seems reasonable.

6 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Looks like they're trying to balance their development.  Give then an occasional game or two in SD to work out some kinks, gain confidence, then come back up.

Seems reasonable.

Terry has been killing it in S.D. and hasn't gotten a recall. 

Looking ahead, it is possible that the Ducks could lose out for the remainder of November. They have Nashville twice, Vegas, Toronto, Colorado, Vancouver, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Florida and Carolina. Their season could be pretty much over after this stretch regardless of whether they get rid of Carlyle or not lol.

40 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Terry has been killing it in S.D. and hasn't gotten a recall. 

I’ve been wondering about that! Why not call him up? Kosilla is pretty unimpressive for what I have seen 

22 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Looking ahead, it is possible that the Ducks could lose out for the remainder of November. They have Nashville twice, Vegas, Toronto, Colorado, Vancouver, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Florida and Carolina. Their season could be pretty much over after this stretch regardless of whether they get rid of Carlyle or not lol.

So sad. I agree with that. I just don’t see a win in there.

53 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I was wondering how long it would take Eaves to get hurt.  Less than 1 week it appears.

Might be the concussion symptoms haven't worn off yet.Skated in practice the last two days but maybe the med staff wanted him to take a day off.

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I was wondering how long it would take Eaves to get hurt.  Less than 1 week it appears.

oh, fiddley sticks!

1 hour ago, mulcher said:

Might be the concussion symptoms haven't worn off yet.Skated in practice the last two days but maybe the med staff wanted him to take a day off.

Concussion? Kase is out with a concussion. Eaves was out with a shoulder injury.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:13 AM, poum said:

I've been reading for the last few years that Fowler was better than appears, he just didn't have a good defensive partner. RC splits Manson and Lindholm, the Ducks best defensive pairing to put Manson with Fowler. The move has not improved Fowler's game and has worsened Manson's. What does that tell us? Maybe it wasn't just the partner's Fowler had; they just exposed his weaknesses? Manson is playing too much of his defensive game, the rest of his game is lacking? I don't like the defensive pairings. I understand that the rookies need to be spread out, but it's interesting that Lindholm and Montour get paired with the rookies and Fowler gets a veteran. Montour's game has also taken a turn for the worse. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Concussion? Kase is out with a concussion. Eaves was out with a shoulder injury.

They all have concussion symptoms only Eaves is injured with his shoulder he can be forgiven

4 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Wonder if it was that puck that flew by close to him last game, the one that didn’t quite clip him but the fly by alone inches away did some internal damage somehow.