The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Ducks 2018-2019 Season

3 hours ago, ducks07 said:

Bieksa should not have been give that contract to begin with and a no movement clause was even more of an error on BM's part.

Best part was getting the contract before he even played 1 game with the Ducks 

• Like 2

I just want to see Manson revert back to the punishing force he used to be. Clear the crease, drop the gloves and intimidate your opponent. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I disagree. To me, trading for Henrique was to the longer term detriment of the Ducks if the goal is to actually contend for the Cup. Murray seemed to try to force open a playoff or Cup window that clearly was closed instead of improving the prospect pool that the Ducks will need in the very near future. Giving Henrique that extension just makes it worse since his production is already on the decline and won’t project better when he’s in his 30’s. He’ll be making almost $2 mil a year more starting next year when the team will still have and Perry, Kesler, Eaves on the books.

As for Kesler, I think that he has one of the worst contracts in the entire league along with Lucic and Seabrook and has no signs of showing he’ll come remotely close to being the player he was before his hip surgery. Yes, he’s generally tasked with defending the opposition’s best players but he’s just not good at it anymore and he has almost no offensive production. At almost $7 mil per, the value doesn’t get much worse.

I like the Rico signing and I actually think that under a new coach we will all really line him too especially if he is allowed to play the left wing as I believe that is the position where he go lots of his goals according to a few Devil posts I heard. But I do appreciate your thought process in considering the long term. Tough one. 

Kess can be thrown into the 20/20 hindsight bucket really. Who would have known that he was going to fall off a cliff this soon. He was playing awesome for us and brought so much to this team. So the question then is did BM still give too much or just too long of a term or both? Because I’m 100% sure most everyone here wanted him resigned I think. 

Now Eaves.... oh boy. If there was a ever a bad resign it’s this one considering that he already wave prone to injuries throughout his career and that he was never ever a 30 goal scorer prior to his “career year”. People applaud BM for getting rid of Bells for recognizing his career year type of effort (which he was right) but then gets it big time wrong with Eaves. 

Edited by RobD360

58 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I like Silf.  I'm not opposed to keeping him, although, like others, I question where he'll be when we've got Terry ready to jump in next year.  But he'll be expensive, and he's not going to help this team.  If I'm Murray, I tell him that I want him back, but due to the cap rules (tagging) and the current situation, it doesn't make sense to sign him now.  Plus, if he trades him, he can get some assets back to make the team better in the future.  So trade him and then hope to re-sign him in the offseason.  it's a win-win.

And if I'm Silf, I want to know that I'm going to have an actual coach next season.  Not the troll that wandered out from under a bridge that they have now.

Conflicting points here. If there might be no room for Silf due to Terry et al (I agree) then I don’t see how we can entice Silf to come back after he’s gone? 

Edited by RobD360

Just now, RobD360 said:

Conflicting points here. If there might be no room for Silf due to Terry et al (I agree) then I didn’t see how we can entice Silf to come back after he’s gone? 

Sorry, let me clarify.  In my opinion, the Ducks don't have room for Silf and would be better served playing Terry and using the money to find better talent.  However, Murray clearly thinks they do since he wants to sign him to an extension.  If I'm Murray and I think there's room for Silf, he can have it both ways - he can trade Silf for assets and then re-sign him in the offseason.  If he can't re-sign him in the offseason, we still have Terry.

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

Sorry, let me clarify.  In my opinion, the Ducks don't have room for Silf and would be better served playing Terry and using the money to find better talent.  However, Murray clearly thinks they do since he wants to sign him to an extension.  If I'm Murray and I think there's room for Silf, he can have it both ways - he can trade Silf for assets and then re-sign him in the offseason.  If he can't re-sign him in the offseason, we still have Terry.

I’m thinking Bob wants to do a sign and trade maybe

7 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I like the Rico signing and I actually think that under a new coach we will all really line him too especially if he is allowed to play the left wing as I believe that is the position where he go lots of his goals according to a few Devil posts I heard. But I do appreciate your thought process in considering the long term. Tough one. 

Kess can be thrown into the 20/20 hindsight bucket really. Who would have known that he was going to fall off a cliff this soon. He was playing awesome for us and brought so much to this team. So the question then is did BM still give too much or just too long of a term or both? Because I’m 100% sure most everyone here wanted him resigned I think. 

Now Eaves.... oh boy. If there was a ever a bad resign it’s this one considering that he already wave prone to injuries throughout his career and that he was never ever a 30 goal scorer prior to his “career year”. People applaud BM for getting rid of Bells for recognizing his career year type of effort (which he was right) but then gets it big time wrong with Eaves. 

rer issue 

A new coach is the first step in the right direction but the roster is the bigger issue (I’d prefer a new GM more importantly, but I digress). To m, Henrique is getting paid 2C money or if he’s moved to the wing, someone that shoukd pot close to 30 goals a year. I’m not sure if or how long he could sustain that type of play. Having other aging and bad value contracts that can’t really be moved when the Ducks are clearly heading toward a rebuild makes it much harder. I’d rather have started the painful process with trading Vatanen for solid future assets.

For being named “bargain bob” Murray likes to give out nice contracts to aging veterans and it sounds like he is trying to potentially add Silfverberg to the list. Murray gave out too much money to both Henrique and Kesler. With Kesler at least, the logic seemed to be going for a Cup hopefully before he fell off a cliff. With Henrique, the Ducks weren’t and won’t be in the Cup conversation so it makes why Murray gave him that contract much more baffling let alone trading for him as they though he though they could contend. It seems like Murray keeps delaying the inevitable which is only going to make it harder to come back from. 

He never should have re-signed Eaves but he doesn’t have an anchor contract with impact of the other bad ones in money or term.

25 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

If he does sign Silfverberg then he’s got to move out more money one way or another. I hope he’s just posturing and has learned his lesson. I agree with you that why should we assume Silfverberg even wants to re-sign here given the current state of affairs of the organization. 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

I’m thinking Bob wants to do a sign and trade maybe

Maybe, but when was the last time we saw a sign and trade in the NHL?  I honestly can't remember a single one since the lockout year.

This season has been a BIG MESS....and Accountability goes to not just Management and Coach but the Players as well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

8 hours ago, ducks07 said:

The point is Bieksa should never have even been offered a contract. He was never going to regain his offensive output as his early days in Vancouver and at 5mil per year with a NMC was just lunacy. Never mind hindsight, it was foresight that should have been taken into consideration. 

Oh I never said it was a good contract. Interestingly enough we probably would have been better off not getting him at all. No one liked the fact that he overpaid and then he added the nmc on top of that. Was a serious waste of $ and cap. He then proceeded to let others go because we were near the cap and didn't want to pay. Right, so we could have kept a lot of good players that clicked with getz but we ended up stuck with Bieksa.... not to mention the expansion draft as been stated over and over.

7 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Maybe, but when was the last time we saw a sign and trade in the NHL?  I honestly can't remember a single one since the lockout year.

Are we talking the NBA style sign and trade where the deal happens immediately after the player signs? Cause the only one of those I can remember in hockey was when the Senators traded Hossa for Heatley. The NBA has a lot of wacky team and player salary rules/restrictions in play which aren't a factor in the NHL so it's not really necessary, especially for the player and the trade partner. The closest thing to that in the NHL might be trading a player right before his extension kicks in like Montreal did with Subban. Maybe a team might sign/extend a player knowing he'll be a trade asset in the near future? They almost always suit up for the team afterwards so I'm not sure if that really counts. That's sort of what happened with the Ducks and Hagelin although that was mainly because he was a poor fit, not because they intended to move him.

I don't think a sign and trade with Silfverberg makes much sense from a Ducks perspective. Ideally, it would drive up the value of a player since the partner gets the security of knowing he won't bolt the second July rolls around. I just don't think the teams targeting Silf for their long term plans would be willing to pay a premium to acquire him a few months in advance. It will be pointless for other teams unless he takes a significant cut under what he's projected to make next summer (assuming he even wants to re-sign with Anaheim). At that point you might as well just keep him and try cutting salary in other ways. He'll sell cheaper as a rental sure, but the Ducks will have a lot more options at their disposal as it stands. 

Edited by PetrSykora

If the Ducks keep losing and actually are able to draft an awesome player we will all be looking back and say that tanking was the best thing for us given the conditions the team is in today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

If the Ducks keep losing and actually are able to draft an awesome player we will all be looking back and say that tanking was the best thing for us given the conditions the team is in today. 

I agree. Except that I have lost faith in current management. Absolutely tone deaf at best, gross incompetence at worst.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree. Except that I have lost faith in current management. Absolutely tone deaf at best, gross incompetence at worst.

Can I second that?  and third it?

• Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 8:30 AM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Anyone read Eric Stephens and Jon Cooper’s most recent article in the Athletic? I caught a quote from a former NHL executive saying that the Ducks are not a Carlyle problem but a management problem. Thank god that a major publication is starting to really put the front office on blast.

That's a laughable comment coming from someone who obviously wants the Ducks to keep RC. Management definitely has recent faults, and this roster is definitely playing a sub standard level, but I don't think they constructed a team in which they lose every game by the 1st period.

• Like 2

Was just looking at the standings and couldn't help but notice that the ducks and kings both have 125 GF. What? They are by far the worst in that category and it's not really close! But we are 3 points out of the second wild card. Lol

If Carlyle isn't fired before the senators game, and I would really really like that instead but, I hope that they destroy us (as much as that is terrible to say, but we got no other choice) and BM will have to do SOMETHING about that considering they are last in the league... we can only hope. 

Maybe RC should have Goggjns speak to the Ducks.

A bit of Adam Cracknell’s NHLPA interview.

He highly recommends Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by United States Navy Seal David Goggins.

Gulls head coach Dallas Eakins has had Goggins speak to his team. His message of the importance of overcoming the odds with a strong mental skillset has struck a chord with Cracknell.

• Like 1

This season being 25th Anniversary will be Reminder to us all including the Ducks that NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is ever Easy and always we face Adversity.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

The Ducks season = :tfp:

I don't know that they've even been going fast enough to manage that.  Do you have a GIF of a train slowly falling over and then exploding?

• Like 2

Debacle this season has become....NEVER I would see the Ducks not only Struggle but coast....It's clear to me their is a Rift and IT'S INSULTING...Onus is not only on Bob Murray and Randy Carlyle BUT THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES...WE NEED REAL PLAYERS THAT WANT TO PLAY, THAT WANT TO PUT IN 60MINS effort...NOT rely on one or 2 players to get the job Done....Following is a List of Players I feel will fit well into the Ducks.

1.Kasperi Kapanen
2.Jesse Puljujarvi
3.Jason Zucker
4.1st Round Pick from New Jeresy
5.Joel Armia

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The Ducks have by far the worst goal differencial at -51. Next are the Kings and Sens at -32!! The Ducks are seriously the worst team in the league. 

Lack of physicality has been mentioned many times on the boards in many threads. An example of that from today's game:

0 hits:

Sprong, Kesler, Gibbons, Shore, Rakell

Fowler, Manson, Megna

1 hit:

Perry, Henrique, Silfverberg, Ritchie, Grant

Montour, Del Zotto

2 hits:

Rowney, Getzlaf

3 hits:

Lindholm

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Lack of physicality has been mentioned many times on the boards in many threads. An example of that from today's game:

0 hits:

Sprong, Kesler, Gibbons, Shore, Rakell

Fowler, Manson, Megna

1 hit:

Perry, Henrique, Silfverberg, Ritchie, Grant

Montour, Del Zotto

2 hits:

Rowney, Getzlaf

3 hits:

Lindholm

Lindholm! Always the class standout. 

• Like 2

As I was looking at the standings this morning, I saw something interesting.  The NYI, post-Tavares, are leading their conference. Maybe part of the new nhl is having a lot of good players rather than a couple great ones. Compare NYI to Edmonton, for example.

The Ducks should have that for the most part next season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

As I was looking at the standings this morning, I saw something interesting.  The NYI, post-Tavares, are leading their conference. Maybe part of the new nhl is having a lot of good players rather than a couple great ones. Compare NYI to Edmonton, for example.

for the record, they are only leading their division

1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

Also Vegas. 

• Like 1