The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Ducks 2018-2019 Season

1 hour ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

for the record, they are only leading their division

Too late for me to edit... you are correct.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:32 AM, DuckFan4Life said:

Lack of physicality has been mentioned many times on the boards in many threads. An example of that from today's game:

0 hits:

Sprong, Kesler, Gibbons, Shore, Rakell

Fowler, Manson, Megna

1 hit:

Perry, Henrique, Silfverberg, Ritchie, Grant

Montour, Del Zotto

2 hits:

Rowney, Getzlaf

3 hits:

Lindholm

No hits from Manson is most concerning to me. It’s like he’s completely lost his edge. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nieder said:

No hits from Manson is most concerning to me. It’s like he’s completely lost his edge. 

More likely his love of the game.

“Randy Carlyle sucks the life and fun out of hockey.” - Aaron Ward

• Like 4

18 hours ago, nieder said:

No hits from 3 defensemen is concerning to me. It's another example (along with clearing the crease) of lack of physicality from the entire D.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

No hits from 3 defensemen is concerning to me. It's another example (along with clearing the crease) of lack of physicality from the entire D.

That is a STUNNING  number to me. Talk about leaving your goalie out to dry - I'd say so. Hopefully the D will get to playing real NHL hockey, and not All Star hockey where no checking is allowed. I'd sit any D-man that didn't lay the body on someone ( from the opposing team ). Wednesday should be interesting to say the least.

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

He really said that? 

2 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

He really said that? 

I can't find the video anymore, but I remember it clear as day. Anaheim Calling is the only place I can still find the quote: Link

• Like 4

22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I remember that was Ward's Criticism of RC....yet Bob won't listen and gave him a 2nd chance. 

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I can't find the video anymore, but I remember it clear as day. Anaheim Calling is the only place I can still find the quote: Link

suspiciously similar wording here:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/10/05/exleaf_macarthur_sounds_off_on_carlyle.html

read the quotes here:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/07/04/mikhail_grabovski_bought_out_by_the_maple_leafs_report.html

nothing for nothing, some of these are hilarious:

https://www.pinterest.com/laurenkinsey8/toronto-maple-leafs-funny/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

That's a brutal indictment. It's not like Aaron Ward was a flakey player.

Edit: or Grabovsky.  Why did BM rehire him? Punishment?

Edited by Thom-74
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

That's a brutal indictment. It's not like Aaron Ward was a flakey player.

Edit: or Grabovsky.  Why did BM rehire him? Punishment?

Very bizarre rehire. If the players who quit on him the first time then why rehire him a second time when the same core of players ousted him were still on the team. It was almost like an F U to the players and it’s not the first time Bob does some unpopular move to prove an egocentric point of his. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Very bizarre rehire. If the players who quit on him the first time then why rehire him a second time when the same core of players ousted him were still on the team. It was almost like an F U to the players and it’s not the first time Bob does some unpopular move to prove an egocentric point of his. 

The players on the team asked for him back.  Bad blood brewed between BB and the team, and they wanted a known quantity back.  It wasn't a huge mistake until the past two seasons when injuries required young players step up often and regularly, and RC sort of lost the plot with them.  I think he still thinks he can run 3 lines with over-30 players, and he can't, and he also hasn't figured out how to coach younger players who see no hints of success with his old-school teachings.

• Like 2

I just hope this is the end of Dump and Chase hockey. That style died when they changed the icing rules unless you have extremely fast forwards.

• Like 2

This is interesting. 

@elliottteaford

Also, sounds as if the Ducks aren't going to be holding morning skates through the end of the season. Ice will be made available if players want to skate, but it won't be a mandatory thing. Beat writers jump for joy. Until they realize they need/want the access for notebooks.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

The players on the team asked for him back.  Bad blood brewed between BB and the team, and they wanted a known quantity back.  It wasn't a huge mistake until the past two seasons when injuries required young players step up often and regularly, and RC sort of lost the plot with them.  I think he still thinks he can run 3 lines with over-30 players, and he can't, and he also hasn't figured out how to coach younger players who see no hints of success with his old-school teachings.

Not sure where you got the bad blood info but never heard it. Source?

THEY wanted a known quantity back?  Who are they?  RC had been scouring the team for a while before he was rehired. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Not sure where you got the bad blood info but never heard it. Source?

THEY wanted a known quantity back?  Who are they?  RC had been scouring the team for a while before he was rehired. 

Heh, I assume you meant "scouting"? He didn't start abrasively grinding on them until he was back behind the bench! :lol:

I don't think there was bad blood between BB and most of the players, but I did get the sense that 10 & 15 were over him. BB would roll whatever line was working the best and would play around with line combos and match ups to try to get the whole team going. I got the feeling that 10 & 15 didn't like not being sent out for every important moment in the game, regardless of how they were playing at the time. We all saw it wear on Ovechkin too when BB was in Washington. BB isn't the best coach for "stars" because he just plays whoever is playing the best, not who gets the biggest game check.

RC is the opposite. He ALWAYS leans on his "stars" no matter what. Even last week when he was threatening to cut ice time and make guys healthy scratches, did he? Nope! The top-4 were atrocious, and yet he kept just scratching Welinski and giving the top-4 all the TOI they wanted.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

I just hope this is the end of Dump and Chase hockey. That style died when they changed the icing rules unless you have extremely fast forwards.

We traded the last of those to Dallas a month ago.

21 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

We traded the last of those to Dallas a month ago.

Don't remind me, I'm still bitter about that trade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

This is interesting. 

@elliottteaford

Also, sounds as if the Ducks aren't going to be holding morning skates through the end of the season. Ice will be made available if players want to skate, but it won't be a mandatory thing. Beat writers jump for joy. Until they realize they need/want the access for notebooks.

Sounds like Bob is already keeping bankers hours as HC. I wonder if going on the away games or just leaving it up to the assistants.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think there was bad blood between BB and most of the players, but I did get the sense that 10 & 15 were over him. BB would roll whatever line was working the best and would play around with line combos and match ups to try to get the whole team going. I got the feeling that 10 & 15 didn't like not being sent out for every important moment in the game, regardless of how they were playing at the time. We all saw it wear on Ovechkin too when BB was in Washington. BB isn't the best coach for "stars" because he just plays whoever is playing the best, not who gets the biggest game check.

RC is the opposite. He ALWAYS leans on his "stars" no matter what. Even last week when he was threatening to cut ice time and make guys healthy scratches, did he? Nope! The top-4 were atrocious, and yet he kept just scratching Welinski and giving the top-4 all the TOI they wanted.

This.  I was trying not to name names.  The twins were over BB, and there was some bad blood with Teemu (which was in the press) that didn't help things, and I think there were others who were more than fine with BB moving on and piled on behind the twins.  I think the team "leadership" thought they should be making some calls on and off the ice, and BB didn't think so, the two factions ground against each other, and I suspect the team leadership thought they could extract what they wanted more easily from RC.  I think they probably got exactly what they wanted... but then team and personal performance levels changed, drastically.

I've had this feeling for a while - I think the franchise players here feel like they are entitled to decide where the team goes.  That doesn't happen on most other teams, especially where the team history/tradition goes back decades past the current lineup, but I think the twins were empowered when they got RC canned the first time.

They've been paid quite a bit along the way, so I hope that they eventually start making personal decisions for the better of the team's future, but right now, neither they nor the management really know how to do that.

I'm probably not articulating the idea of player power on our team very well, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Heh, I assume you meant "scouting"? He didn't start abrasively grinding on them until he was back behind the bench! :lol:

Sure did mean scouting but scouring fits as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2016/06/14/anaheim-ducks-re-hire-randy-carlyle-as-head-coach/85868510/

After his tumultuous stint in charge of the Toronto Maple Leafs ended in January 2015, he moved back to Encinitas, California, and attended many games in Anaheim, usually sitting in the press box and taking notes while waiting for another NHL job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

This.  I was trying not to name names.  The twins were over BB, and there was some bad blood with Teemu (which was in the press) that didn't help things, and I think there were others who were more than fine with BB moving on and piled on behind the twins.  I think the team "leadership" thought they should be making some calls on and off the ice, and BB didn't think so, the two factions ground against each other, and I suspect the team leadership thought they could extract what they wanted more easily from RC.  I think they probably got exactly what they wanted... but then team and personal performance levels changed, drastically.

I've had this feeling for a while - I think the franchise players here feel like they are entitled to decide where the team goes.  That doesn't happen on most other teams, especially where the team history/tradition goes back decades past the current lineup, but I think the twins were empowered when they got RC canned the first time.

They've been paid quite a bit along the way, so I hope that they eventually start making personal decisions for the better of the team's future, but right now, neither they nor the management really know how to do that.

I'm probably not articulating the idea of player power on our team very well, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

We all knew Teemu was over BB because he wasn't playing him. As much as I love Teemu and I'm thankful he played here, his play was hurting the team. The same goes for Getz and Perry. Many said for a long time that they should be split and BB was the coach that had the gonads to do it. Too bad they didn't like it. Yes, they were your supposed superstars who weren't showing up for game 7s. Three players is not the team and that was your original statement. It was 3 star players who were butt hurt because they were being treated like everyone else on the team by a coach who actually iced players who played hard and cared.

• Like 5

In the end, whatever faults RC has, and while Getzlaf and Perry will probably get consideration for the Hall of Fame, looking at their careers...

...the Getzlaf Perry era of the Ducks will probably be remembered as a talented squad, but in the end also a squad that didn't live up to its potential, that didn't answer the bell when it came to the big games.

They can pat themselves on the back for running coaches out of town, but in the end, they're the ones who didn't win the big games.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

This is interesting. 

@elliottteaford

It's about time!!! https://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-kings-morning-skates-20170120-story.html

Maybe next GMHCBM will start using analytics too! :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

It's about time!!! https://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-kings-morning-skates-20170120-story.html

Maybe next GMHCBM will start using analytics too! :lol:

You Sure about that...I would much have BM ensure Ducks get impact player via trade or look at Jumpstarting the Roster.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

We all knew Teemu was over BB because he wasn't playing him. As much as I love Teemu and I'm thankful he played here, his play was hurting the team. The same goes for Getz and Perry. Many said for a long time that they should be split and BB was the coach that had the gonads to do it. Too bad they didn't like it. Yes, they were your supposed superstars who weren't showing up for game 7s. Three players is not the team and that was your original statement. It was 3 star players who were butt hurt because they were being treated like everyone else on the team by a coach who actually iced players who played hard and cared.

it was more than just the twins and Teemu.  many others on the team went along just because they didn't feel like they had the clout to do so in the long run, but even accounting for that, those three weren't alone.

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

it was more than just the twins and Teemu.  many others on the team went along just because they didn't feel like they had the clout to do so in the long run, but even accounting for that, those three weren't alone.

Who?

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

Again, source?