The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
niltes

bob murray

heard an interesting thing on the NHL radio network today.

I believe I have the details essentially correct,  but if i'm in error feel

free to correct.

in 2011 the ducks traded draft picks with leafs.  the ducks traded down

and received a first and second rounder.  with those two picks the

ducks drafted Gibson and Rakell.  

in 2014ish the ducks traded Freddie Anderson to the leafs for a

first and second rounder.  with those two picks the ducks drafted

sam steel and max comtois.

to me those are a couple of stellar deals.  so if you want to bash

Bob Murray for his mistakes,  I think one needs to evaluate his

full body of work to put things in perspective.  

Edited by niltes
  • Like 1

Murray has made his fair share of both brilliant moves as well as mistakes (See Francois Beauchemin episodes 1, 2, and 3 and James Wisniewski for William Karlsson)

3 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

Murray has made his fair share of both brilliant moves as well as mistakes (See Francois Beauchemin episodes 1, 2, and 3 and James Wisniewski for William Karlsson)

Wiz for Karlsson was awful, but not because of the Karlsson inclusion. Giving up those kind of assets for someone who wasn't even used in the playoffs is pretty indefensible.  

3 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

Agree.....I mean he is no wizard like Burke.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Bob Murray is a draft wizard.

^^and his awesome scouting folks. Sorry but Bob can only share this accomplishment and not have completely on his own. As a GM trading is one aspect of his job that is completely all his own. Or  the signing or resigning of players etc.... 

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

^^and his awesome scouting folks. Sorry but Bob can only share this accomplishment and not have completely on his own. As a GM trading is one aspect of his job that is completely all his own. Or  the signing or resigning of players etc.... 

Trading is reliant on pro scouts.  That's not entirely on Bob.

19 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

Don't forget the other part of that deal. We got Columbus to take Rene Borque's fat and useless contract, got a decent defenseman that we really needed at the time. We lost wild bill, but we had some big contracts to renew and getting rid of Borque was key to that. 

17 minutes ago, JonnyTheDuck said:

Don't forget the other part of that deal. We got Columbus to take Rene Borque's fat and useless contract, got a decent defenseman that we really needed at the time. We lost wild bill, but we had some big contracts to renew and getting rid of Borque was key to that. 

Disagree with that. A lot of people can say hindisght is 20/20 with Wild Bill...but...I remember that trade for Wiz. As I know a lot of people here do. And that was an easy one to be upset with at the time. I very much remember (and can probalby find on this board...) vocally not liking this trade. Wiz didn't even play one game in the playoffs that got us to game 7 of the conference finals!...we could have used Karlsson more than Wiz.

But getting rid of Borque...I didn't think of that. I didn't remmeber we had a contract of his to get rid of.

Edited by Jasoaks

55 minutes ago, JonnyTheDuck said:

Yeah but Bob has picked up some bad contracts originally and when he dumps them off people applaud him when it’s his own mess he created in the first place (borq, Souray etc...). Bob’s trade record grade in my opinion is average. He did trade for Kess which was awesome but overall, meh.... His free agent pickings are less than stellar as he goes through the bargain bin to find either vets who are washed up or guys people are just scratching their heads at. I don’t think he knows exactly what this team needs to get them over the hump or is too conservative or cheap to get the right pieces or he doesn’t play well with other GMs to get what he wants. Yeah he and his staff can draft up young D pretty well but what’s the point when you can’t allocate the surplus and or obtain a coach who doesn’t use the resources to their potential or implement the right systems. Bob has done a great job in amassing the picks and drafts but I don’t think he’s is the right guy to take this team to the finish line. But then again the window closed a couple seasons back and he was unable to get the team to the holy grail so not sure if the team is going to rebuild or what

My biggest issue with Murray's body of work is his "Bargain Bob" reclamation projects, usually at the trade deadline. How many times has he traded for or signed over the hill, broken down players who are on their last legs hoping that he can fix a lineup issue on the cheap?

I would rather have GMBM stick to drafting and developing  young players. That seems to be his strong suit. 

The three best trades(in no particular order) Bob has overseen in the last ten years have been

1) Trading Bobby Ryan for  Silfverberg, Noesen, and a 1st round pick (Ritchie)

2) Trading Vatanen for Adam Henrique

3) Trading Bonino and Sbisa for Ryan Kesler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadowduck said:

My biggest issue with Murray's body of work is his "Bargain Bob" reclamation projects, usually at the trade deadline. How many times has he traded for or signed over the hill, broken down players who are on their last legs hoping that he can fix a lineup issue on the cheap?

I would rather have GMBM stick to drafting and developing  young players. That seems to be his strong suit. 

The three best trades(in no particular order) Bob has overseen in the last ten years have been

1) Trading Bobby Ryan for  Silfverberg, Noesen, and a 1st round pick (Ritchie)

2) Trading Vatanen for Adam Henrique

3) Trading Bonino and Sbisa for Ryan Kesler.

Agreed. And yes those are good trades you mention. 

People forget that Bob is notorious for picking up a bad player then being hailed as a genius later when he finds a way to get rid of the mistake he created in the first place. 

Ive said it before but Bob has always seemed more suited as an assistant GM to me rather than a full blown GM as he can manage and work well with the scouting folks

45 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Yeah but Bob has picked up some bad contracts originally and when he dumps them off people applaud him when it’s his own mess he created in the first place (borq, Souray etc...). Bob’s trade record grade in my opinion is average. He did trade for Kess which was awesome but overall, meh.... His free agent pickings are less than stellar as he goes through the bargain bin to find either vets who are washed up or guys people are just scratching their heads at. I don’t think he knows exactly what this team needs to get them over the hump or is too conservative or cheap to get the right pieces or he doesn’t play well with other GMs to get what he wants. Yeah he and his staff can draft up young D pretty well but what’s the point when you can’t allocate the surplus and or obtain a coach who doesn’t use the resources to their potential or implement the right systems. Bob has done a great job in amassing the picks and drafts but I don’t think he’s is the right guy to take this team to the finish line. But then again the window closed a couple seasons back and he was unable to get the team to the holy grail so not sure if the team is going to rebuild or what

So, I guess my question is...what should he have done better in 2015 to get THAT team into the finals? And I ask the same of the 2017 team? To me, it seemed more Andersen lost his confidence at the end of Game 5 in 2015 WCF...and never really recovered against a team notorious for being opportunistic. And Gibson being injured and Bernier having a horrible series in 2017 WCF seemed to be the bigger issue there. Maybe not making the Wiz/Karlsson trade would have been a difference maker in 2015...maybe having Miller instead of Bernier would have been a difference in 2017...I dunno. What do you think?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Bob picks up bad contracts because his budget dictates that he take fliers and chances on something turning into a good deal and an old player returns to their peak form.  He also bargain basements for the same reason, who can he get on the cheap that his scouts tell him may be on the brink of playing out of their pants.

He is an excellent GM for the situation ownership puts him in.  Our ability to consistently appear in the playoffs during what appears to be down years and go far in up years is hard evidence of this.  If you look at how many fanbases have to take entire years off as far as hopefulness goes, we are truly spoiled.     

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

So, I guess my question is...what should he have done better in 2015 to get THAT team into the finals? And I ask the same of the 2017 team? To me, it seemed more Andersen lost his confidence at the end of Game 5 in 2015 WCF...and never really recovered against a team notorious for being opportunistic. And Gibson being injured and Bernier having a horrible series in 2017 WCF seemed to be the bigger issue there. Maybe not making the Wiz/Karlsson trade would have been a difference maker in 2015...maybe having Miller instead of Bernier would have been a difference in 2017...I dunno. What do you think?

That 2014-15 was actually a really weird season from a personnel standpoint. Its impossible to say whether any of Bob's moves (or lack of moves) would have changed the outcome of the season though, because at the end of it all, Chicago's best players were simply a tiny bit better than our best players at the exact right (i.e. wrong) moments.

However, if we're playing the armchair GM second-guessing game...

1. Bob let Mathieu Perreault walk away in the summer of 2014. MP22 was a restricted free agent and Bob didn't even make a qualifying offer (which would have only been $1.1M). Instead MP22 went UFA, signed a 3-year deal with Winnipeg, and potted 18G during that season. Meanwhile the Ducks spent the season burning through the likes of Dany Heatley, DSP, Jiri Sekac, Rene Bourque, and Tomas Fleischmann looking for some secondary scoring. I think there's an argument that MP22 could have provided some much needed depth scoring in the 2014-15 season, especially considering Chicago got such timely goals from bottom-6 guys like Marcus Kruger, Andrew Shaw, and Antoine Vermette (more on him later). And if MP22 wasn't a long-term part of our future, he certainly had some trade value that might have helped us acquire a few more pieces to the puzzle. No one can say that re-signing MP22 changes the outcome of that season, but letting him walk away still remains the biggest head-scratcher for me of Bob Murray's entire tenure with the Ducks.

2. Bob trades Bryan Allen to Montreal for Rene Bourque. 8 days later, Bob acquires Eric Brewer for a 3rd round pick. Two games into his Ducks career, Brewer breaks his foot and is out 5 weeks. Brewer returns for 7 games and is then traded (with a 5th round pick) to Toronto for Korbinian Holzer. The same day Brewer is traded, Bob acquires James Wisniewski (:angry:), unloading Rene Bourque as well as Karlsson and a 2nd round pick in the process. Simon Despres is also acquired for Ben Lovejoy that same day (:D). Who among us doesn't love that Simon Despres trade, am I right? But seriously, if Bob never put the Bryan Allen trade tree into motion and we went into that playoffs with Allen as our 7th (i.e. rotating with Stoner on the 3rd pairing as Vatanen's partner) instead of James Wisniewski, are we any worse off? Its not provable, but its also hard not to wonder if all that shuffling of personnel through the season had any impact on the locker room and the role players. Oh, and if Allen was never traded, that means we keep the 3rd rounder we traded for Brewer and the 5th rounder we sent with Brewer to Toronto. And its possible we never acquire Wiz either (since unloading Bourque was a conditional part of that deal) and we'd have therefore kept Karlsson and the 2nd rounder we sent to C-Bus for Wiz.  

3. Antoine Vermette. He was one of the top players available at the trade deadline, and Chicago grabbed him to shore up their bottom-6. A lot of us here wanted Bob to take a chance on Vermette at the time, even considering the expected cost. Vermette was eventually acquired from the Yotes for Chicago's 1st rounder (#31OA - Nick Merkley) and Klas Dahlbeck (NHL bust currently playing in Europe). If Bob goes and gets Vermette instead of Chicago, does that change the season's result? I dunno, maybe. Vermette was 58.9% in the face-off circle during those playoffs and scored 4G/3A, including the double-OT game winner in Game 4 against the Ducks (a series-changing goal IMO). Meanwhile, our 3rd line center (Rakell) scored 1G/0A in the entire 2015 playoffs and was 44.8% in the circle. I absolutely love me some Rickard Rakell, but he was in over his head during those playoffs. We really could have used a guy like Vermette for that playoff run, but Bob was too busy chasing a pre-broken James Wisniewski.

Again, this is all useless armchair second-guessing. But the point is that while Bob Murray is a VERY good GM, he does not walk on water, and it's possible some of his mistakes have genuinely hindered this team's chances at a Cup, as much as his great decisions have helped this team chase a Cup. GM'ing isn't science though. We're lucky to have him, but I still think we're perfectly within our right as fans to criticize the moves that we don't like or that don't turn out well.

[/steps off soapbox]

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

That 2014-15 was actually a really weird season from a personnel standpoint. Its impossible to say whether any of Bob's moves (or lack of moves) would have changed the outcome of the season though, because at the end of it all, Chicago's best players were simply a tiny bit better than our best players at the exact right (i.e. wrong) moments.

1. Bob let Mathieu Perreault walk away in the summer of 2014. MP22 was a restricted free agent and Bob didn't even make a qualifying offer (which would have only been $1.1M). Instead MP22 went UFA, signed a 3-year deal with Winnipeg, and potted 18G during that season. Meanwhile the Ducks spent the season burning through the likes of Dany Heatley, DSP, Jiri Sekac, Rene Bourque, and Tomas Fleischmann looking for some secondary scoring. I think there's an argument that MP22 could have provided some much needed depth scoring in the 2014-15 season, especially considering Chicago got such timely goals from bottom-6 guys like Marcus Kruger, Andrew Shaw, and Antoine Vermette (more on him later). And if MP22 wasn't a long-term part of our future, he certainly had some trade value that might have helped us acquire a few more pieces to the puzzle. No one can say that re-signing MP22 changes the outcome of that season, but letting him walk away still remains the biggest head-scratcher for me of Bob Murray's entire tenure with the Ducks.

On the surface it did seem strange not to make a qualifying offer but hear me out.

Perreault had played very solidly and consistently for the Ducks playing both sides of the ice. But in the 2014 playofss the Ducks were mauled by Dallas in the first round, and after being eliminated by the Kings I seem to remember some of the  "blame" was becasue too many of the Ducks players were being pushed around by much larger opponents. I remember watching Mat getting knocked off the puck time and time again.

So going into the 2014-2015 season GMBM mission in part was to field a larger team. Once they determined Perreault would not be part of their long term plans I  believe the Ducks did not make a qualifying offer in order for him to:

A- speak to teams he was actually interested in playing for.

and

B- maximize his market value as a reward for the hard work he had done for the team.

If they had made that qualifying offer then Perreault would have been limited to that amount of money and to teams that the Ducks decided to work with.

Yeah ok guys. I digress. I’m too hard on Bobbo. He’s actually a pretty good Gm. He won’t be risky and make big blockbuster trades but the ones he does make coupled with his draft pickups help the Ducks enjoy a solid run every year. He works within his budget and around Getz and Perry as the corner stones of the team and plugs in players that are just good enough to cast within the current team without breaking the bank or the core structure of the team. It seems like he wants to build the team from the inside out which seems like it could be working based off the young talent we have although there still is not a Getz replacement. He can be frustrating at times though with some very pickups and seems reluctant to make bigger trades using surplus youth. He’s made blunders such as hiring RC but then again at RC was supposed to be a PO coach something he thought we needed after Bruce got jobbed by Peter L and Nashville’s. His resignings of our youth have been really good with Kase and Ricky to low bargain costs. He can of course be better but considering everything he’s pretty decent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

On the surface it did seem strange not to make a qualifying offer but hear me out.

Perreault had played very solidly and consistently for the Ducks playing both sides of the ice. But in the 2014 playofss the Ducks were mauled by Dallas in the first round, and after being eliminated by the Kings I seem to remember some of the  "blame" was becasue too many of the Ducks players were being pushed around by much larger opponents. I remember watching Mat getting knocked off the puck time and time again.

So going into the 2014-2015 season GMBM mission in part was to field a larger team. Once they determined Perreault would not be part of their long term plans I  believe the Ducks did not make a qualifying offer in order for him to:

A- speak to teams he was actually interested in playing for.

and

B- maximize his market value as a reward for the hard work he had done for the team.

If they had made that qualifying offer then Perreault would have been limited to that amount of money and to teams that the Ducks decided to work with.

I get that people try to assign noble justifications to Bob’s decision to let MP22 walk, but I just don’t buy it. He was an asset. If Bob didn’t want him, he should have traded him. Even as a pending RFA, MP22 had value. Compare it to when we got Hagelin (also a pending RFA). Getting Hags cost Etem and a 2nd. Hags was coming off a 17G/18A season. MP22 had 18G/25A (in 13 fewer games!) in the season before we let him walk. The value was there. I’m still just dumbfounded over it. 

Moreover, considering the ease with which BM sent guys like Fasth and Maroon to Siberia, I don’t think it has anything to do with BM trying to do MP22 a solid. That’s not BM’s MO. MP22 was here for one season and BM didn’t owe him anything. And if you’re the type of GM who won’t even return a phone call from Beauchemin’s agent, you’re not going to convince me you took the high road on this one for the good of the player.

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

I get that people try to assign noble justifications to Bob’s decision to let MP22 walk, but I just don’t buy it. He was an asset. If Bob didn’t want him, he should have traded him. Even as a pending RFA, MP22 had value. Compare it to when we got Hagelin (also a pending RFA). Getting Hags cost Etem and a 2nd. Hags was coming off a 17G/18A season. MP22 had 18G/25A (in 13 fewer games!) in the season before we let him walk. The value was there. I’m still just dumbfounded over it. 

Moreover, considering the ease with which BM sent guys like Fasth and Maroon to Siberia, I don’t think it has anything to do with BM trying to do MP22 a solid. That’s not BM’s MO. MP22 was here for one season and BM didn’t owe him anything. And if you’re the type of GM who won’t even return a phone call from Beauchemin’s agent, you’re not going to convince me you took the high road on this one for the good of the player.

I thought MP22 was here at least two seasons. And if GMBM wasn't doing MP22 a solid then I have no other explanation. Like you said, MP22 had value and it does not make any sense to let him go for free. I'd like to here a logical reason for it.

Back when Beauchemin moved to Colorado it wasn't because the Ducks didn't want him. They told him they would sign him but only as a 3rd line player making 3rd line money. Beauch decided to test the market instead because he wanted more money and more playing time. I believe you when you say it happened but I never heard anything about GMBM not returning phone calls. 

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

I thought MP22 was here at least two seasons. And if GMBM wasn't doing MP22 a solid then I have no other explanation. Like you said, MP22 had value and it does not make any sense to let him go for free. I'd like to here a logical reason for it.

Back when Beauchemin moved to Colorado it wasn't because the Ducks didn't want him. They told him they would sign him but only as a 3rd line player making 3rd line money. Beauch decided to test the market instead because he wanted more money and more playing time. I believe you when you say it happened but I never heard anything about GMBM not returning phone calls. 

The Beauchemin reference is about when he left for Toronto. He gave a lengthy interview about it later, saying that BM never made an offer and didn’t return his agent’s calls. He wanted to stay in Anaheim but BM gave him the cold shoulder. Even after Boom-Boom was so important to our Stanley Cup run.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

2. Bob trades Bryan Allen to Montreal for Rene Bourque. 8 days later, Bob acquires Eric Brewer for a 3rd round pick. Two games into his Ducks career, Brewer breaks his foot and is out 5 weeks. Brewer returns for 7 games and is then traded (with a 5th round pick) to Toronto for Korbinian Holzer. The same day Brewer is traded, Bob acquires James Wisniewski (:angry:), unloading Rene Bourque as well as Karlsson and a 2nd round pick in the process. Simon Despres is also acquired for Ben Lovejoy that same day (:D). Who among us doesn't love that Simon Despres trade, am I right? But seriously, if Bob never put the Bryan Allen trade tree into motion and we went into that playoffs with Allen as our 7th (i.e. rotating with Stoner on the 3rd pairing as Vatanen's partner) instead of James Wisniewski, are we any worse off? Its not provable, but its also hard not to wonder if all that shuffling of personnel through the season had any impact on the locker room and the role players. Oh, and if Allen was never traded, that means we keep the 3rd rounder we traded for Brewer and the 5th rounder we sent with Brewer to Toronto. And its possible we never acquire Wiz either (since unloading Bourque was a conditional part of that deal) and we'd have therefore kept Karlsson and the 2nd rounder we sent to C-Bus for Wiz.  

3. Antoine Vermette. He was one of the top players available at the trade deadline, and Chicago grabbed him to shore up their bottom-6. A lot of us here wanted Bob to take a chance on Vermette at the time, even considering the expected cost. Vermette was eventually acquired from the Yotes for Chicago's 1st rounder (#31OA - Nick Merkley) and Klas Dahlbeck (NHL bust currently playing in Europe). If Bob goes and gets Vermette instead of Chicago, does that change the season's result? I dunno, maybe. Vermette was 58.9% in the face-off circle during those playoffs and scored 4G/3A, including the double-OT game winner in Game 4 against the Ducks (a series-changing goal IMO). Meanwhile, our 3rd line center (Rakell) scored 1G/0A in the entire 2015 playoffs and was 44.8% in the circle. I absolutely love me some Rickard Rakell, but he was in over his head during those playoffs. We really could have used a guy like Vermette for that playoff run, but Bob was too busy chasing a pre-broken James Wisniewski.

Again, this is all useless armchair second-guessing. But the point is that while Bob Murray is a VERY good GM, he does not walk on water, and it's possible some of his mistakes have genuinely hindered this team's chances at a Cup, as much as his great decisions have helped this team chase a Cup. GM'ing isn't science though. We're lucky to have him, but I still think we're perfectly within our right as fans to criticize the moves that we don't like or that don't turn out well.

[/steps off soapbox]

Very good detailed analysis of that year! Yes I remember being frustrated by Antoine Vermette those playoffs...I think you are on to something, staying with MP22 might have made a big difference.

15 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Sorta off topic but did anyone else notice that the Ducks are at the top of the salary cap list on Capfriendly?

https://www.capfriendly.com/

HGow did that happen? I thought the Ducks were a budget team.

Lots of good draft picks panning out and coming to contract years.  A good problem to have!

• Like 3

On 10/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, gotchabari said:

Lots of good draft picks panning out and coming to contract years.  A good problem to have!

Good Problem?...perhaps maybe Good decisons will be made.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 10/4/2018 at 6:41 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Always quick to bring up MP22, I love it.

Bob also shipped off Wisniewski. Twice. First time was a 3rd to Long Island. Then Carolina for Khudobin. I got a lotta hate towards Wiz, but I think Bob might have more and he's got the authority to excercise it. And did.

https://thehockeywriters.com/bob-murrays-weakness-a-reluctant-trigger-finger/

Being the general manager of a professional hockey team means you need to make the tough decisions. Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray has made several in recent years, including trading talented goalie Frederik Andersen to the Toronto Maple Leafs in favor of John Gibson and sending defenseman Sami Vatanen to the New Jersey Devils in return for Adam Henrique. While not the most aggressive manager in the league, Murray has shown that he’s willing to make changes, albeit prudent ones.

The key to really succeeding as a manager, however, is making those tough choices in a timely fashion. In that manner, Murray has mostly failed.

• Like 3

I think I could agree, but not in the way the article states it.  BM's restraint has been pretty decent at times.  But, he's entering a new era for the team, and it feels like he's a little too clutching to the chest-ish - he's going to have to gamble a bit in the coming seasons, and gambling early is.. healable, if it goes wrong.  Gambling late can be a one way trip.

I will say - it is ridiculous how much cap space the Leafs have, and how little we have (we're actually negative, but you know what i mean).

On 10/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, RobD360 said:

Hiring scouts is also in his job description...