The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
niltes

bob murray

42 minutes ago, niltes said:

too much loyalty to vets and too many no trade/movement clauses are BM's biggest flaws IMHO.

The NTC/NMC has been a trend for awhile now. For everyone. I think Bob is finally burnt out and learned his lesson off it. I don't think any newcomers over the summer got one (huzzah!). And the two recent contracts that kicked in this year, Fowler and Cogliano, have modified NTCs which still make them very much movable pieces if it warrants it.

16 minutes ago, nieder said:

If Bob doesn’t fire Carlyle this season I hope he’s sh*t canned too. 

Fan turnout at the Honda center might quicken Murray's decision. I doubt the Samueli's like to see empty seats.

Rehiring Carlyle is the biggest mistake that I still hold over Murray's head. Aside from that, trading for Bieksa and extending him with a NMC before he even played a game for the Ducks is the only other terrible decision that immediately comes to mind. It really should have been a complete disaster heading into the expansion draft but he handled that situation extremely well. He's done a terrific job overall since taking over the team.

• Like 1

With the hot topic being Randy Carlyle and more than a few nods to Bob Murray who can possibly lose his job as well. I don't think I've seen a mention of a replacement for Bob. Is there a suitable replacement out there? Plenty of names have been thrown around for the coach but I don't see one for the GM spot. Suggestions?

Full disclosure, I like Bob. Warts and all. I'm just curious if anyone thought passed the "RC is BMs fault so he must go too".

52 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Rehiring Carlyle is the biggest mistake that I still hold over Murray's head. Aside from that, trading for Bieksa and extending him with a NMC before he even played a game for the Ducks is the only other terrible decision that immediately comes to mind. It really should have been a complete disaster heading into the expansion draft but he handled that situation extremely well. He's done a terrific job overall since taking over the team.

I'm pretty sure Kesler was the reason Bieksa was extended, not to mention the reason he was signed to begin with.  The extension coincided with the expiration of Kesler's contract.  I prefer to think of that as the reason, since I can't imagine any other reason Murray would want to keep Bieksa with his NTC for 1 day longer than necessary.  I see that other teams could not wait to sign Bieksa when he became a free agent after last season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Hiring scouts is also in his job description...

Do you know this or are you just guessing? I would think this responsibility would fall to Rick Paterson, who is our Director of Player Personnel and basically runs our professional scouting department. Paterson was brought in by Burke in 2005 at the same time Murray was, not long after he won a Cup with Tampa Bay as their Head Professional Scout. I would be surprised if the responsibility for hiring pro scouts falls on Murray rather than Paterson.

2 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

How about Joe Quenn for GM ?? Interesting idea ???

Why stop there! First player/coach/GM!

He's only 60, he could still lace up a pair of skates and play for the Ducks blue line. Ain't no Ducks team without a slow as molasses defenseman sitting back there. :P

• Like 4

1 hour ago, poum said:

Why stop there! First player/coach/GM!

He's only 60, he could still lace up a pair of skates and play for the Ducks blue line. Ain't no Ducks team without a slow as molasses defenseman sitting back there. :P

LOVE your attitude :D:lol:B)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, poum said:

With the hot topic being Randy Carlyle and more than a few nods to Bob Murray who can possibly lose his job as well. I don't think I've seen a mention of a replacement for Bob. Is there a suitable replacement out there? Plenty of names have been thrown around for the coach but I don't see one for the GM spot. Suggestions?

Full disclosure, I like Bob. Warts and all. I'm just curious if anyone thought passed the "RC is BMs fault so he must go too".

Good Point...I wonder too....IF Both RC and BM go...expect Coach and GM to be Interim basis.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I didn't like it when BM signed veterans schenn and sustr over the summer.  it seemed

like the ducks had up to 4 young dmen ( petterson,  welinski,  Larsson, and megna) who could 

make the jump to the ducks.  all these signings did was take away ice time,  slow the young

d-mens  improvement,  and send the wrong message to the ducks minor leaguers. 

fortunately that mistake has been rectified,  but I question why it was made in the first place

and what was BM thinking?

Well its been a few weeks and Quenville is available. Im surprised the Coyotes and Ducks have not picked him up yet. 

RC is here to stay guys face it. Too many injuries so they aren't going to blame him for this year. At this point I have to wonder about the training staff with these injuries, although are guys are on the wrong side of 30 too. Time to let this rest. If they were gonna fire him they would of done it by now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JadeDragonEyes said:

Well its been a few weeks and Quenville is available. Im surprised the Coyotes and Ducks have not picked him up yet. 

RC is here to stay guys face it. Too many injuries so they aren't going to blame him for this year. At this point I have to wonder about the training staff with these injuries, although are guys are on the wrong side of 30 too. Time to let this rest. If they were gonna fire him they would of done it by now. 

Dream killer...

• Like 2

One of my biggest knocks on Bob has always been that he drags his feet before making his “conservative” moves. It’s already annoying enough that he’s ultra conservative but add to it the delayed reaction time in doing anything. 

Just now, RobD360 said:

One of my biggest knocks on Bob has always been that he drags his feet before making his “conservative” moves. It’s already annoying enough that he’s ultra conservative but add to it the delayed reaction time in doing anything. 

The only time he really didn't do that was in getting Kesler. It was Vancouver that backed out of it before the 2014 playoffs...and from my understanding it really piddleed off Bob. But then he got that done in the off season.

He's just very good at drafting. So I think he just sees his picks as pretty valuable...and has a vision for who he's already picked. He thinks big picture a lot. But the unfortunate thing with that is big picture thinking hurts short term valuable moves. My guess is the ideal GM knows when to switch from small picture to big picture and vice versa. Brian Burke didn't do much big picture thinking...and we won a cup and then were screwed lol

10 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

The only time he really didn't do that was in getting Kesler. It was Vancouver that backed out of it before the 2014 playoffs...and from my understanding it really piddleed off Bob. But then he got that done in the off season.

He's just very good at drafting. So I think he just sees his picks as pretty valuable...and has a vision for who he's already picked. He thinks big picture a lot. But the unfortunate thing with that is big picture thinking hurts short term valuable moves. My guess is the ideal GM knows when to switch from small picture to big picture and vice versa. Brian Burke didn't do much big picture thinking...and we won a cup and then were screwed lol

Well said. I fully agree. This explains a lot actually. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

That did tick off GMBM. Between him and Benning (I think it was Benning) was a done deal. Vancouver ownership swooped in and canceled that deal.

Having Kesler for that run through the playoffs would... It would have been beneficial for the Ducks.

14 hours ago, poum said:

That did tick off GMBM. Between him and Benning (I think it was Benning) was a done deal. Vancouver ownership swooped in and canceled that deal.

Having Kesler for that run through the playoffs would... It would have been beneficial for the Ducks.

Yes it would have! We were out-centered by the Kings...and it's not like Robidas made much of an impact in the playoffs... :\ 

On 11/17/2018 at 2:52 PM, niltes said:

I didn't like it when BM signed veterans schenn and sustr over the summer.  it seemed

like the ducks had up to 4 young dmen ( petterson,  welinski,  Larsson, and megna) who could 

make the jump to the ducks.  all these signings did was take away ice time,  slow the young

fortunately that mistake has been rectified,  but I question why it was made in the first place

Alot of things can be wondering why he did it....He is shoring up Depth and it seems like it did not work. for me I am optimist and believe this team can turn it around IF injection of New Blood from outside can help be it a Coach or Players...I am not pessimist like HockeyzCool or Zther.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

18 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

My recollection of it is a little different. IIRC, BM said at the time that he didn't want to mess up the locker room chemistry by trading a roster player (who we later found out was Bonino) in order to get Kesler. He thought he had a deal done with Vancouver that didn't include Bonino, but then Gillis decided at the last moment that no Bonino meant no deal, which ticked off BM. BM then proceeded to include Bonino in the final trade that summer. So essentially, BM dragged his feet and made the conservative move by not trading Bonino for Kesler at the deadline for the same trade package that eventually wound up landing Kesler after the Ducks were eliminated by the Kings.

59 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

My recollection of it is a little different. IIRC, BM said at the time that he didn't want to mess up the locker room chemistry by trading a roster player (who we later found out was Bonino) in order to get Kesler. He thought he had a deal done with Vancouver that didn't include Bonino, but then Gillis decided at the last moment that no Bonino meant no deal, which ticked off BM. BM then proceeded to include Bonino in the final trade that summer. So essentially, BM dragged his feet and made the conservative move by not trading Bonino for Kesler at the deadline for the same trade package that eventually wound up landing Kesler after the Ducks were eliminated by the Kings.

ohhh ya know I vaguely remember something like that, too. Welp...I guess Bob with his dragging feet did hurt us. I guess I should have known that the exception to how he is usually probably isn't correct lol

Lets not forget that Kesler only wanted to go the 3 teams, Anaheim, Chicago & Pittsburgh. Chicago didn’t have the prospects, Pittsburgh didn’t have the cap space so that left bob with kesler in his lap. 

• Like 3

On 11/19/2018 at 5:31 PM, niltes said:

mooseduck an optimist?  shocking!.

Shocking?....No just pessimist as Zther or Cool. I am imho feel this is nothing new. Our Ducks slow start is something we endure but we will get through this but Changes will be made.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 11/19/2018 at 2:56 PM, dtsdlaw said:

We've heard two wildly different rumors my firend. :P

BM, try to find a taker for Kesler. Ask him to waive his NTC, maybe a fresh start will help him to resurrect his career. Ducks need some room under the salary cup before trade deadline.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, niltes said:

It wasnt rectified, it was proven wrong.

Having the vets doesn't mean kids can't earn their spot.  Those that can, did.  Magna and Welinski have proven not to be ready, and others have. And now the Gulls have vets to help the kids that are still down there.

BM was thinking the same thing other GMs do... you need small pieces and you need pieces for the AHL.  And you want those pieces to have youth and veterans.  If you know you have 14 or 15 spots to fill between the two teams, then you sign for all spots, not just NHL.