The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
oside2006

Defensive Pairings

Our defense sucks. we have a good top 4 but they are not paired the right way. Carlyle needs to put Lindholm back with Manson and Montour with Fowler. We are getting torched.

They clearly want these new pairings to work as they've stuck with them. But honestly I feel like the biggest issue so far is that both Manson and Montour have been flat out BAD defensively so far.

Edited by nieder

23 minutes ago, nieder said:

They clearly want these new pairings to work as they've stuck with them. But honestly I feel like the biggest issue so far is that both Manson and Montour have been flat out BAD defensively so far.

It will take time for those 2 to get adjusted to each other...if they continue to get back...I won't mind if Ducks put them back.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

40 minutes ago, oside2006 said:

Our defense sucks. we have a good top 4 but they are not paired the right way. Carlyle needs to put Lindholm back with Manson and Montour with Fowler. We are getting torched.

6 goals against in four games torched! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Like 1

If the pairings are still struggling 10 games after Getzlaf returns, then RC should re-shuffle. But for now, I think they need more time to develop some chemistry. We're only 4 games in and it's a different system with 7 new forwards in the lineup. Right now there's too much pressure on the top-4 to be perfect because the forwards aren't able to generate enough possession time. Once the team is closer to full strength and the forward lines are more stable, I think we'll see better consistency from the back end too. Stay the course.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I agree with this reminder of reality.

The goals are typically on breakaways create by poor passing, including the forwards, where there is no way to D can get back.  There have not been many (any?) goals resulting from grind-it-out plays within the zone during 5-on-5 play.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

To be fair, that's mostly down to Gibson. This team is giving up a huge number of shots and scoring chances. But as dts said, it's only 4 games in and there are a ton of new forwards. It may take a bit of time.

1 minute ago, nieder said:

To be fair, that's mostly down to Gibson. This team is giving up a huge number of shots and scoring chances. But as dts said, it's only 4 games in and there are a ton of new forwards. It may take a bit of time.

Shots yes, scoring chances no. Gibson made a few nice saves last night, but he was not overwhelmed at all.  And the shot charts back this up.

I think the D-pairings have been fine, certain players just have to be better. Lindholm looks great, Fowler has really rebounded nicely from the San Jose game, and the 3rd pairing isn't a total liability every time they are on the ice like last year. It's really only 2 guys that aren't passing my eye test right now, and it's Manson and Montour.

• Like 2

Just now, oside2006 said:

not saying goals is torching us, its our defensive play thats getting torched.

Not really though. With a lack of offense due to all the rookies and new faces, Montour has probably taken a few extra offensive chances because of that. And those chances lead to getting burned a lot.  With Gibson back there and all the rookies on the ice, I don't have a problem with him taking those chances.

40 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I think the D-pairings have been fine, certain players just have to be better. Lindholm looks great, Fowler has really rebounded nicely from the San Jose game, and the 3rd pairing isn't a total liability every time they are on the ice like last year. It's really only 2 guys that aren't passing my eye test right now, and it's Manson and Montour.

Manson... Fowler is not an easy partner to play with. You never know when Fowler is going to pass and when he is just going to skate it out of danger, and it takes a while to learn his nuances. Fowler also doesn't ever eliminate his man physically, so there are always more bodies and sticks to deal with when defending below the circles. Every partner he has ever had with the Ducks has had an adjustment period, and Manson is no different. I'm pretty confident Manson will figure it out sooner than later.

Montour - Monty's mind is clearly not focused on defending our third of the ice.  Immensely talented and exciting guy, but he really needs some help with his focus, and I don't think RC is really getting through to him with his coaching tactics.  

Ya I don’t think we have been torched on the scoreboard at least but we are spending way to much time In our zone struggling to get the puck out while all the teams we have played have such an easy time getting it out 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Manson... Fowler is not an easy partner to play with. You never know when Fowler is going to pass and when he is just going to skate it out of danger, and it takes a while to learn his nuances. Fowler also doesn't ever eliminate his man physically, so there are always more bodies and sticks to deal with when defending below the circles. Every partner he has ever had with the Ducks has had an adjustment period, and Manson is no different. I'm pretty confident Manson will figure it out sooner than later.

Montour - Monty's mind is clearly not focused on defending our third of the ice.  Immensely talented and exciting guy, but he really needs some help with his focus, and I don't think RC is really getting through to him with his coaching tactics.  

Totally agree. Fowler turns into a forward at the drop of a dime. Manson is used to Lindholm occasionally jumping into the play and Manson himself can do the same. Now, Fowler has Manson limited in his mobility because Fowler does his own thing. I think in time they can get used to each other. But, Fowler has to be as willing to conform to Manson as Manson is to Fowler. I think they can be a good pairing but time will tell.

Lindholm has the same struggles with Montour. Montour loves jumping up but that limits Lindholm's opportunity to do the same. Montour is offensive focused like Fowler so separating them was a good move by RC. But, it hurts Manson and Lindholm's effectiveness.

Edited by DuckFan4Life

Just wanna say this...Ducks are 3-0-1 7pts way TOOOOOO early to pass judgement on Ducks Defence Corps......Just Saying.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

10 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Everyone except Gibson, yes.  Honestly, if you think we've played good defense this season, I don't know what to tell you.  It's been mostly bad with a world class goalie bailing us out.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Everyone except Gibson, yes.  Honestly, if you think we've played good defense this season, I don't know what to tell you.  It's been mostly bad with a world class goalie bailing us out.

Well this happens alot with the previous Ducks Number 1 Goalies...Remeber Giguere's epic stand on his head moments.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck