DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

773 posts in this topic

And you guys want to burn a year off some of our better rookies for an entire season of this type of play and coaching?? I’d rather send them down and when we have a new coach next year then bring them back and gain a year of contract under (hopefully) a better team unless the plan is to fire RC mid season 

Edited by RobD360

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

RC has no idea what to do with so many kids in the lineup.

Because he's a dinosaur of a coach. He needs to gone asap. Just do it now and bring up Eakins. 

I love my team but I hate the coach. :huh:

1 person likes this

November 7 - 16 might be a defining stretch. A 3 game homestand against the flames, wild and preds. Then we leave for Vegas and afterwards the leafs come to town. At the current rate that'll be 150-200 shots against in those last 3 games. If we don't have things sorted out by then we're gonna get killed. More than once. If things go bad and BM is serious about his short leash I'm very curious to see what happens next.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

November 7 - 16 might be a defining stretch. A 3 game homestand against the flames, wild and preds. Then we leave for Vegas and afterwards the leafs come to town. At the current rate that'll be 150-200 shots against in those last 3 games. If we don't have things sorted out by then we're gonna get killed. More than once. If things go bad and BM is serious about his short leash I'm very curious to see what happens next.

This short leash...where did you read that about RC? I've seen that brought up a couple times. I just don't remember where he mentioned that...at least not recently.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

This short leash...where did you read that about RC? I've seen that brought up a couple times. I just don't remember where he mentioned that...at least not recently.

On these boards actually :P people are mentioning it left and right but no idea where it comes from.

13 hours ago, RobD360 said:

And you guys want to burn a year off some of our better rookies for an entire season of this type of play and coaching?? I’d rather send them down and when we have a new coach next year then bring them back and gain a year of contract under (hopefully) a better team unless the plan is to fire RC mid season 

That makes no sense, and would be a slap in the face to a guy like Comtois, who leads our forwards in points. Who is behind the bench should have no factor in this decision making. Those who have earned a spot with their play will be here.

14 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I understand what you're saying, but I hate the message it sends to both the player being sent down and to the players remaining who know that the kid can help the current roster.  It's admitting defeat.  If you're a team that came into the season with low expectations, that's one thing.  But for a team with high expectations to jettison a useful player - it just feels wrong.

14 hours ago, RobD360 said:

For me it's all about their development (specifically regarding Comtois and Lundestrom). I see no benefit to Comtois going back to the QMJHL other than he will remain Ducks property long-term for one additional season. Comtois is ready to play against professionals, and even in a 4th line role at 11-12 mins/game he will be playing against far stronger competition than anything he will see in the QMJHL. This Ducks team is also built a little different than past Ducks teams, so even if he ends up on the 4th line he will not be playing on a line with goons and plugs. More likely we would see him centered by Steel, Rowney, or Street - i.e. guys who have real hockey skills other than punching. Staying would also mean he would be exposed to a real 82-game season, and would be sharing a locker room and a practice rink with some highly respected veterans. The QMJHL plays something like 68 games, and he'd be surrounded by 18 and 19 year olds. Also, what happens if RC is replaced over the summer, Silfverberg walks in free agency, and Eaves retires (all reasonably likely scenarios). Would you rather rely on a Max Comtois for a top-9 role next season with 82 NHL games under his belt, or 9 NHL games and 50 OHL games under his belt? 

Lundestrom is the opposite for me though. He would be playing against men in Sweden, not kids in the CHL. Keeping him in the roster also gets him to UFA status by age 25, which is a tad early IMO. As good as he looks now, I think Lundestrom should be sent back to Sweden. Let him mature physically for one more year and then bring him back next season.  

Edited by dtsdlaw
3 people like this

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

For me it's all about their development (specifically regarding Comtois and Lundestrom). I see no benefit to Comtois going back to the QMJHL other than he will remain Ducks property long-term for one additional season. Comtois is ready to play against professionals, and even in a 4th line role at 11-12 mins/game he will be playing against far stronger competition than anything he will see in the QMJHL. This Ducks team is also built a little different than past Ducks teams, so even if he ends up on the 4th line he will not be playing on a line with goons and plugs. More likely we would see him centered by Steel, Rowney, or Street - i.e. guys who have real hockey skills other than punching. Staying would also mean he would be exposed to a real 82-game season, and would be sharing a locker room and a practice rink with some highly respected veterans. The QMJHL plays something like 68 games, and he'd be surrounded by 18 and 19 year olds. Also, what happens if RC is replaced over the summer, Silfverberg walks in free agency, and Eaves retires (all reasonably likely scenarios). Would you rather rely on a Max Comtois for a top-9 role next season with 82 NHL games under his belt, or 9 NHL games and 50 OHL games under his belt? 

Lundestrom is the opposite for me though. He would be playing against men in Sweden, not kids in the CHL. Keeping him in the roster also gets him to UFA status by age 25, which is a tad early IMO. As good as he looks now, I think Lundestrom should be sent back to Sweden. Let him mature physically for one more year and then bring him back next season.  

Completely agree with all of this. IL is gonna go back and that is good for us. And Comtois is staying...which is also good for us. It also will help Comtois establish some chemistry with our other younger guys...maybe get a good duo that can start to step up! Steel to Comtois...gooooaaaaalll! sounds kinda good :P 

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I understand what you're saying, but I hate the message it sends to both the player being sent down and to the players remaining who know that the kid can help the current roster.  It's admitting defeat.  If you're a team that came into the season with low expectations, that's one thing.  But for a team with high expectations to jettison a useful player - it just feels wrong.

Yeah totally you’re right. Just wish that if they did stay up that the team was coached better and made us feel more comfortable that we will reach the POs and actually make a strong effort. But it absolutely makes sense that it would send the wrong message. Bob just needs to axe RC soon 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

This. This is good logic in keeping Comtois up even if this season might not be the greatest. At least we would be getting him ready for next year under new coach

53 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Completely agree with all of this. IL is gonna go back and that is good for us. And Comtois is staying...which is also good for us. It also will help Comtois establish some chemistry with our other younger guys...maybe get a good duo that can start to step up! Steel to Comtois...gooooaaaaalll! sounds kinda good :P 

Sure does sound good. Having Comtois play this entire season helps him to begin to cement relationships on the team and start learning the politics in the NHL

Thanks everyone for providing  your insights and rational. 

2 people like this

The big problem with RC is that he completely believes that Getz and Perry are still in their 20’s so he continues to play them like its 2007 ((ground hog year))

4 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

The big problem with RC is that he completely believes that Getz and Perry are still in their 20’s so he continues to play them like its 2007 ((ground hog year))

Well Getzlaf put up 61 in 56 last year, and 73 in 74 the year before, so he clearly still has the mojo. 

Will have to wait and see with Perry when he comes back...RC might not be here by the time that happens.

1 minute ago, BlazingEtem said:

Well Getzlaf put up 61 in 56 last year, and 73 in 74 the year before, so he clearly still has the mojo. 

Will have to wait and see with Perry when he comes back...RC might not be here by the time that happens.

Oh, I hope that's true, but I'm not optimistic.

23 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I did not intend to say Getz is anything less than stellar even today. He is still an elite beast but he is also not in his 20s anymore. RC is notoriously known to play the s*** out of his top line players. I think Getz and Kessler are still ultra useful but less so if they are overused and overplayed. 

27 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Oh, I hope that's true, but I'm not optimistic.

I agree. It’s not realistic to think players increase their point production as they get older past 30. Hopefully RC tries to stick to spreading out the minutes as he has done so in the first few games, albeit reluctantly due to injuries to older vets. 

Edited by RobD360

It’s not entirely bad to expect Getz production begin to dip as he is in his mid 30s. That’s why I have concern with this team’s future still not having a bonofide elite center Getz replacement in the works already. I don’t think everyone is on board with Steel being said replacement. Hopefully Bob uses our deep pool of assists to acquire our next future center prospect/ young stud. 

28 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I did not intend to say Getz is anything less than stellar even today. He is still an elite beast but he is also not in his 20s anymore. RC is notoriously known to play the s*** out of his top line players. I think Getz and Kessler are still ultra useful but less so if they are overused and overplayed. 

Has anything really changed with Getzlaf other than his age then say 5 years ago? He doesn't look any slower/faster than he did then and his style of play is the exact same.

I think Hank is the replacement.  Different player, different strengths.  He might be closer to Kesler, but he's the closest we have to an up and coming elite center.

I think Getz can still put up the numbers, he just shouldn't be played every other shift.  Certainly not after a groin pull.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

I think Hank is the replacement.  Different player, different strengths.  He might be closer to Kesler, but he's the closest we have to an up and coming elite center.

I think Getz can still put up the numbers, he just shouldn't be played every other shift.  Certainly not after a groin pull.

Pish posh! If Kesler can play 18+ per night after hip reconstruction, Getzlaf can certainly be double-shifted for the next 73 games after a measly groin pull.

Suck it up, Baldy! You're going in!

IF things continue to struggle...Ducks should look at changing Coaches and RC maybe out the door. Attending the game on Sunday Live I was no impress They stop playing midway through the 2nd Period.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 person likes this

I agree the Ducks looked good showed what they can do ,ran up the 2-0 lead then just stopped what got them there.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, mulcher said:

I agree the Ducks looked good showed what they can do ,ran up the 2-0 lead then just stopped what got them there.

It's bad Habit I see it...They did some times in Past.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

8 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I think it was in an interview but I think it's The Athletic or OC Register which I don't have access to or maybe it was a tweet.  Yeah it was awhile ago though.

54 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Pish posh! If Kesler can play 18+ per night after hip reconstruction, Getzlaf can certainly be double-shifted for the next 73 games after a measly groin pull.

Suck it up, Baldy! You're going in!

I guess Perry should be out there with skates on his crutches then....slacker.

Getzlaf still injured or coasting until a new coach comes in? I don't think I have seen him put his head down and power skate into the offensive zone since coming back.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Getzlaf still injured or coasting until a new coach comes in? I don't think I have seen him put his head down and power skate into the offensive zone since coming back.

Either that or because he can't. I wouldn't be surprised they rushed him back. Look what they did with Kesler last year.
Another loss. Outshot again. Next game against dallas. We all know how that went down the previous time...

I wake up every morning hoping that Carlyle has been fired only to be disappointed every damn day. 

6 people like this