The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

Honestly I don't ever remember being this indifferent about whether I should watch a game or not. I've watched 99% of our games over the past decade, but I really have no enthusiasm about watching this team this season. You know what you are going to get - uninspired, predictable, boring hockey from a team that cannot string more than 2 passes together in a row without turning over the puck.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, nieder said:

Honestly I don't ever remember being this indifferent about whether I should watch a game or not. I've watched 99% of our games over the past decade, but I really have no enthusiasm about watching this team this season. You know what you are going to get - uninspired, predictable, boring hockey from a team that cannot string more than 2 passes together in a row without turning over the puck.

This is a perfect synopsis of where I am with my fandom.  I love this team and have since its inception.  Until last season, I watched roughly 80 out of 82 games per season.  It's more difficult now without cable, but I still watch what I can.  But it's just frustrating.  Crisp passing and team play are what make hockey so enjoyable for me.  I see other teams break out of their zone by making three tape-to-tape passes, then go with speed through the neutral zone, enter the offensive zone with possession, find an open player, and take a shot.  It's beautiful.  I think I've seen the Ducks do that three times all season.

Edited by gorbachav5
  • Like 2

man, i had high hopes there'd be a grenade thrown in this thread.  maybe the focus was on the midterms, and BM is making the call now.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Agreed. At least in 2011 we had the beloved Teemu Selanne and the uncertainty of whether we would see him suit up again the next season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nieder said:

The funny thing is that it looks like the team has the same feeling about playing. Some good individual effort sometimes, but it goes nowhere. Can't believe that  nobody dropped the gloves near the end of the 2nd period last night to prepare for the 3rd but meh.

Mom used to say " every kick in the butt sends you forward" but I don't even know where to begin the butt kicking to wake up the team.

We are the darkhorse to get Quenneville  Blues,Kings,Panthers sit last in the east(Tallon hired him as Hawks coach in 08] , Wings and Ducks.

6 minutes ago, mulcher said:

We are the darkhorse to get Quenneville  Blues,Kings,Panthers sit last in the east(Tallon hired him as Hawks coach in 08] , Wings and Ducks.

That's if Quenneville wants to go back to coaching this season. He could just ride out this season and wait to see who gets canned in the off season.

Well we won but the shot differential through the roof once again. Nothing to show for on the PP, another shorty for the others. Luckily it was Miller time but tonight's outcome shouldn't change RC's fate IMO.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Powerplay:

-25th in the NHL at 15%.

-7 total PP goals for.

-4 Shorthanded goals against.

-2 for their last 26.

Bad coaching. 

ducks recipe for success. 

1)  have your goaltender outplay your opponent's goalie by a wide margin.

2)  put voodoo curse on opposing shooters so that they miss wide open

nets,  find the posts/crossbar, or hit goaltender with their great scoring opportunities.

3)  keep puck in the ducks defensive zone for extended periods to keep our

goaltenders sharp and not bored.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Well we won but the shot differential through the roof once again. Nothing to show for on the PP, another shorty for the others. Luckily it was Miller time but tonight's outcome shouldn't change RC's fate IMO

Getting outshot in the third by the team that is losing is pretty common.  Otherwise we were outshooting them by 2.

We also outshot the Kings in 2 periods and tied them in the other one, so...

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

Getting outshot in the third by the team that is losing is pretty common.  Otherwise we were outshooting them by 2.

Right, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?  Getting outshot 14 - 3 in the third period of a one goal game is an awful performance.  And even before that period, the scoring chances were 17 to 11 in favor of the Flames.  And they ended up 29 to 17.  There's no defense for a period like that, even accounting for score effects and back-to-back.  

The Kings game was a small step forward from a possession standpoint.  This was a bigger step backward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

True. And it was the 2nd game of a back-to-back. But there's getting outshot and there's getting outshot 14-3. You can't say without the 3rd we outshoot them by 2. That 3rd period did happen. You judge the 60 minutes.

And the kings have pretty much sucked all season so far. 

In the end the result is there and that's what matters but playing like that will lose you more games than winning them. 

1 hour ago, DucksFan_08 said:

True. And it was the 2nd game of a back-to-back. But there's getting outshot and there's getting outshot 14-3. You can't say without the 3rd we outshoot them by 2. That 3rd period did happen. You judge the 60 minutes.

In the end the result is there and that's what matters but playing like that will lose you more games than winning them. 

To be fair, the shots were 28-24 when Getzlaf scored the go ahead goal.  Then the team went into prevent defense for the rest of the game.  I am willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt considering that this is a back-to-back.

Honestly I thought it was one of the best games they had played this season, and considering they were outshot 14-3 in the third period that's pretty sad. 

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

You judge the 60 minutes in context, and breaking it down by period is better than sum.  You miss a LOT of detail by summary analysis.  They're pinching D-men and taking more risks.  Things change.

As far as the Kings sucking, that wasn't my point.  My point was we outshot them and lost, so while it is worth considering and a problem to be addressed, it obviously isn't the end all, be all.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Honestly I thought it was one of the best games they had played this season, and considering they were outshot 14-3 in the third period that's pretty sad. 

Official box score on NHL.com has the shots 39-24 for Calgary with a 17-3 margin in the 3rd. Calgary was also out-shooting the Ducks 22-21 after 2 periods. And in terms of total shots directed at the net, Calgary had 68 (39 shots, 11 attempts blocked and 18 missed shots) while the Ducks had 45 (24 shots, 5 attempts blocked and 16 missed shots). 3rd period lead or not, that's quite a disparity in possession. Gorb's stats on scoring chances are pretty telling too.

"Carlyle Hockey"   <_<

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Probably the closest margin of the season for a Flames opponent!

Could have sworn I heard Hazy say that the Flames have only led something like TWICE all season after two periods. Seems like last night played out exactly how their whole season has, but for the goaltending by Miller in the 3rd. That's a very dangerous team when they really start to press. There's no way Carlyle's system would hold up against that over a seven game series in April/May.

57 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Could have sworn I heard Hazy say that the Flames have only led something like TWICE all season after two periods. Seems like last night played out exactly how their whole season has, but for the goaltending by Miller in the 3rd. That's a very dangerous team when they really start to press. There's no way Carlyle's system would hold up against that over a seven game series in April/May.

Not sure that's true about, shots, though.  Just goals.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Official box score on NHL.com has the shots 39-24 for Calgary with a 17-3 margin in the 3rd. Calgary was also out-shooting the Ducks 22-21 after 2 periods. And in terms of total shots directed at the net, Calgary had (1)68 (39 shots, (2)11 attempts blocked and 18 missed shots) while the Ducks had (1)45 (24 shots, 5 attempts blocked and 16 missed shots). 3rd period lead or not, that's quite a disparity in possession. Gorb's stats on scoring chances are pretty telling too.

"Carlyle Hockey"   <_<

(1) Ugh. That says a lot about this team.

(2) That's Carlyle Hockey. Between the new goalie pads and the defensemen being used as target practice. Everyone on the defensive side of the game is going to be black and blue by the end of the season.

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, poum said:

(1) Ugh. That says a lot about this team.

(2) That's Carlyle Hockey. Between the new goalie pads and the defensemen being used as target practice. Everyone on the defensive side of the game is going to be black and blue by the end of the season.

BM knows RC is on short leash...If Ducks falter again...then He should relived RC of his Duties.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

It's a battle between the Ducks and Sens for the most shots against Sens lead at the moment.

It might be the only stat we can have a chance at being first in this season.

With two days off between games now is the time to fire Carlyle. Through half the game tonight the Ducks are on pace to be outshot 52-20. If Carlyle isn't gone after this then it's time Bob Murray goes too. Time to retool. Get a new GM who isnt scared to make moves to improve the team. Maybe see if Brian Burke wants to come back as GM. Yes the Ducks have injuries and an aging roster, but so do the Wild and yet they are playing really good, or the Ducks are that bad making them look good. The injuries are just an excuse. Comtois, Kase and an ineffective Perry are really the only injuries left. And once they are healthy the Ducks will be right back to the old slow team. 

• Like 4

On 11/8/2018 at 7:08 PM, MooseDuck said:

BM knows RC is on short leash...If Ducks falter again...then He should relived RC of his Duties.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Moose, Carlyle should have been beyond gone at this point.  Murray should never have re-hired him to begin with.

• Like 1

After watching tonight's game, I think it was a mistake to play Lundestrom past the 9 game mark, and I think even with the year already burned off, the Ducks should send him to Sweden. He has regressed a bit since his good start, and I thought he looked incredibly overwhelmed against the Wild tonight. 

Playing an 18 year old in a sheltered 4th line role with mostly defensive responsibilities on a bad team seems like a bad way to develop a prospect. He needs his confidence back and he's not going to get it playing with Kiefer Sherwood and Ben Street in the defensive zone the entire night.

11 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

After watching tonight's game, I think it was a mistake to play Lundestrom past the 9 game mark, and I think even with the year already burned off, the Ducks should send him to Sweden. He has regressed a bit since his good start, and I thought he looked incredibly overwhelmed against the Wild tonight. 

Playing an 18 year old in a sheltered 4th line role with mostly defensive responsibilities on a bad team seems like a bad way to develop a prospect. He needs his confidence back and he's not going to get it playing with Kiefer Sherwood and Ben Street in the defensive zone the entire night.

Judging by tonight's game, I think he would have been in the defensive zone all night despite which line he would have been on. I would like to see him center Rakell and Silf for a few shifts. Maybe playing with some of his countrymen would kick start him a bit.