The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

1 hour ago, mulcher said:

It might be the coach thing depends how aggressive he wants them to be . When it is 5 on 3 D keeps keep the bottom of the triangle and also have to stay in the shooting lanes of the offenders around the outside,the forward stops the across ice d to d pass.Gibby had to come up big and didn't allow the rebounds as the Dmen are outnumbered he was brilliant in OT and deserved the praise.

Oh maybe. It might be the right play for 4 on 3 but not 5 on 4? that makes sense...as does lindholm probably trying to do too much. Oh yes, Gibby deservers every single praise there is lol

1 hour ago, Shadowduck said:

I think Linholm is trying to do too much..and it is effecting his overall focus.

6 hours ago, Fisix said:

Well... we're missing a cam in the machine tonight.  I kinda think their performance against LV was part emotional trauma about Cam's situation.  They've had time to get past that by now, but... they still don't have Cam, and they won't for months.  They could be really, really easy to break mentally tonight.

Emotional trauma?!? If the team is that emotionally fragile, fire friggen everybody and start over. 

Interesting article in today's OCRegister. Ilyshka Bryzgalov stands up for RC, he thinks he id a great coach. I partially agree with him, Carlyle has to play with what he is given. When he has a group of AHL guys with the limited talent and another group of aging, ineffective players with guaranteed contracts, we have a record as is.

I highly doubt the coaching change would make a significant difference, just look at cross-town Kings. It's a GM job to be fiscally reasonable when signing players over 28 y/o, or, in fact, when signing any 8 y/o contract extension. 

Off the topic, Thanks God, BM wasn't a general manager in 2005-2007, otherwise he would never pull a trigger on Pronger or Niedermayer trades.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:30 PM, Fisix said:

Well... we're missing a cam in the machine tonight.  I kinda think their performance against LV was part emotional trauma about Cam's situation.  They've had time to get past that by now, but... they still don't have Cam, and they won't for months.  They could be really, really easy to break mentally tonight.

Emotional trauma over a player getting hurt?  If that's the case, they've been going through emotional trauma the last few years. I guess we can blame lost games on the emotional trauma of losing Perry several times, Getz several times, Kesler, Cam, Manson, Kase, Silfverberg, etc. 

The D can be blamed, but the forwards have to score and give the D an option when clearing the puck. They also have to crash the net. 

If the players are going to break mentally, they don't belong in the NHL where injuries, many times significant, happen far too often. 

28 minutes ago, nieder said:

3 goals scored in the last 4 games. Your systems are obviously working, coach. Keep it up.

Hey! He’s a “defensive” minded coach so his systems don’t require much scoring. Goals are passé. Who needs them anyways when you got the Great Wall of Gibson. 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Hey! He’s a “defensive” minded coach so his systems don’t require much scoring. Goals are passé. Who needs them anyways when you got the Great Wall of Gibson. 

Well. The "Gibson has me covered" mentality from a defenseman would suggest they suck at their job.

P.S. he totally does.

Edited by poum

1 hour ago, nieder said:

3 goals scored in the last 4 games. Your systems are obviously working, coach. Keep it up.

My personal favorite. Getting lit up and shutout by Vegas, then following it up with a statement game against Toronto. A team with questionable defense playing a 4th string goalie on the back end of back-to-backs. And some how only scoring one goal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poum said:

Well. The "Well, Gibson has me covered" mentality from a defenseman would suggest they suck at their job.

Whats the point in having defensemen when they will all suck and not do their job. Enter My proposal:: trade off all the D and get all forwards. That’s right folks, we will skate with FIVE forwards on the ice at all times with Gibson being the one man Defense unit. 

8 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Whats the point in having defensemen when they will all suck and not do their job. Enter My proposal:: trade off all the D and get all forwards. That’s right folks, we will skate with FIVE forwards on the ice at all times with Gibson being the one man Defense unit. 

Pfff. I see you're "lol defense" and raise you a, "screw the forwards". Ice Gibson and Miller. Only the two.

Oh nuts, I totally forgot Colorado is this evening's fresh new hell. Rantanen is on a warpath.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

The one and only problem with that proposal is you would also have to trade off the majority of the current forwards since they lack scoring.

Another injury. Another excuse. But fair is fair, the amount of injuries is ridiculous once again. But it wouldn't be good if we had a healthy team either I think so I still hope he gets canned.

20 hours ago, poum said:

Pfff. I see you're "lol defense" and raise you a, "screw the forwards". Ice Gibson and Miller. Only the two.

Oh nuts, I totally forgot Colorado is this evening's fresh new hell. Rantanen is on a warpath.

That was a tough loss. The effort was there, but those Colorado forwards are top tier.

• Like 1

Game last Night imho was unacceptable let alone Shameful...Ducks should have won that game that night instead relying on 2 goal lead and the goalie is NOT the way to win game or putting in effort that is NOT 60mins. This edition of the Ducks despite the injuries is GOOD....BUT not that good. They could GREAT if they had not endure Injury Bug or inconsistencies..Who knows. Need for Coach is not only thing that needs to be held to account. Players to...I say before and I SAY it again a Roster Shakeup is LONG OVER DUE....8-9-5 21pts. It's Modest but Unacceptable...FYI to all. Ducks Slow starts are nothing new to us all. It's frustrating which leads to many wondering where they finish. But I request Patience for us all. This team if they come together Must do so and for BOB MURRAY knows his tenure is on the Line.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

That was a tough loss. The effort was there, but those Colorado forwards are top tier.

It’s a continuation of a very rough season. The Ducks have 3 wins their last 15 games. They have looked not just bad but pretty much awful in all couple of games this season. They’ve looked a bit better recently but I chalk that up to there being no place for them to go but up. Kase being back in the lineup has been a much needed boost sand he’s been the Ducks’ best player not named Gibson or Getzlaf IMO. 

The Ducks are not a playoff team as currently coached and not close to a Cup as currently constructed. This is shaping up to be a painful and lost season, compounded by injuries. Maybe the Ducks start fresh next season with a new coach, GM and hopefully a Top-3 pick. That looks to be the only way they will get a game-breaking player and start moving this team in the right direction. Firing Carlyle and replacing him with Eakins will make the fan base happy but I doubt that we become the 2012 Kings or 2016 Penguins. 

Kesler and Perry’s contracts are anchors that can’t be moved out. Who knows what Perry will look like when he returns. As much as I like Kesler’s attitude and dedication, he’s been an absolute shell of himself since coming back from his hip injury with no sign that he’s going to significantly improve going forward. All of this is to say that there’s going to be more painful days ahead than the Ducks before it gets better. It will be interesting to see if Murray will be the one making the big decisions that will hopefully get the Ducks back to being a contender.

7 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It’s a continuation of a very rough season. The Ducks have 3 wins their last 15 games. They have looked not just bad but pretty much awful in all couple of games this season. They’ve looked a bit better recently but I chalk that up to there being no place for them to go but up. Kase being back in the lineup has been a much needed boost sand he’s been the Ducks’ best player not named Gibson or Getzlaf IMO. 

The Ducks are not a playoff team as currently coached and not close to a Cup as currently constructed. This is shaping up to be a painful and lost season, compounded by injuries. Maybe the Ducks start fresh next season with a new coach, GM and hopefully a Top-3 pick. That looks to be the only way they will get a game-breaking player and start moving this team in the right direction. Firing Carlyle and replacing him with Eakins will make the fan base happy but I doubt that we become the 2012 Kings or 2016 Penguins. 

Kesler and Perry’s contracts are anchors that can’t be moved out. Who knows what Perry will look like when he returns. As much as I like Kesler’s attitude and dedication, he’s been an absolute shell of himself since coming back from his hip injury with no sign that he’s going to significantly improve going forward. All of this is to say that there’s going to be more painful days ahead than the Ducks before it gets better. It will be interesting to see if Murray will be the one making the big decisions that will hopefully get the Ducks back to being a contender.

The recent handling of the defense makes me infer that BM has gotten a vote of confidence from ownership beyond this season. If BM were a GM fighting for his job, there's no way he waives Schenn and brings up Mahura and Dotchin a couple of days after losing Fowler to a long term injury.  I also doubt Larsson stays in the lineup game after game with the way he's been playing if BM didn't feel confident about his job. Not that Luke Schenn is some kind of savior or anything, but clearly BM has been given the green-light to roll with the youngsters on defense, score sheet be damned. 

13 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

The recent handling of the defense makes me infer that BM has gotten a vote of confidence from ownership beyond this season. If BM were a GM fighting for his job, there's no way he waives Schenn and brings up Mahura and Dotchin a couple of days after losing Fowler to a long term injury.  I also doubt Larsson stays in the lineup game after game with the way he's been playing if BM didn't feel confident about his job. Not that Luke Schenn is some kind of savior or anything, but clearly BM has been given the green-light to roll with the youngsters on defense, score sheet be damned. 

My thought is that the soonest Murray would be gone is when his contract is up after next season. If he keeps Carlyle and the Ducks miss the playoffs then that could conceivably force him out sooner. I think that as long as he fires Carlyle then there's no chance that he's gone this summer. Will he be here in 2020 to handle the expansion draft and be the guy to do a roster overhaul beyond that though? The list of mistakes that he has made over the last couple seasons have already started to take it's toll on the team and it might be up to a new GM to fix them. 

Larsson has been a real disappointment so far. I know he's still young and inexperienced but the more he under performs the worse the loss of Theodore looks. His puck control is big concern. Losing Fowler and Lindholm to injuries is giving the organization the chance to give Larsson and Mahura more playing time which I don't mind at all. Sustr and Schenn have been bad so might as well see what the young guys can do since it can't be much worse. The Ducks have been feeling the losses of Vatanen and Theodore more than ever now.

• Like 1

I really liked Mahura last night I saw him make some great play under pressure to exit the zone and didn’t look overpowered!  Got a lot of ice time in the OT also

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

My thought is that the soonest Murray would be gone is when his contract is up after next season. If he keeps Carlyle and the Ducks miss the playoffs then that could conceivably force him out sooner. I think that as long as he fires Carlyle then there's no chance that he's gone this summer. Will he be here in 2020 to handle the expansion draft and be the guy to do a roster overhaul beyond that though? The list of mistakes that he has made over the last couple seasons have already started to take it's toll on the team and it might be up to a new GM to fix them. 

Larsson has been a real disappointment so far. I know he's still young and inexperienced but the more he under performs the worse the loss of Theodore looks. His puck control is big concern. Losing Fowler and Lindholm to injuries is giving the organization the chance to give Larsson and Mahura more playing time which I don't mind at all. Sustr and Schenn have been bad so might as well see what the young guys can do since it can't be much worse. The Ducks have been feeling the losses of Vatanen and Theodore more than ever now.

I don't think Larsson has been that big of a disappointment. On a team full of disappointments, I really don't think he stands out as the biggest. Losing Vatanen has been worse for the defense or to Fowler than losing Theo. True, it's been taking Larsson longer to crack the line up but at 21, he's not old and washed up. 

5 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I don't think Larsson has been that big of a disappointment. On a team full of disappointments, I really don't think he stands out as the biggest. Losing Vatanen has been worse for the defense or to Fowler than losing Theo. True, it's been taking Larsson longer to crack the line up but at 21, he's not old and washed up. 

I think Larsson has been in over his head. He's been on the ice for 8 of the last 13 E/S goals against, and has been flat-out abused in quite a few of those, especially losing his man on the back-cuts and not staying in the passing lanes. He should have spent a game in the press box after his -3 against Minnesota, and if BM and RC weren't already treating this as a throw-away season I'm sure he would have gotten the Montour/Vatanen treatment after that horrendous game. And yet he stays in the lineup. Clear evidence to me that this season isn't really about winning anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pazonator said:

I really liked Mahura last night I saw him make some great play under pressure to exit the zone and didn’t look overpowered!  Got a lot of ice time in the OT also

I second that motion.  He has a good shot too.  Play him.  Can the ducks just bring up Terry and sit Ritchie in the bleachers?  Please?

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think Larsson has been in over his head. He's been on the ice for 8 of the last 13 E/S goals against, and has been flat-out abused in quite a few of those, especially losing his man on the back-cuts and not staying in the passing lanes. He should have spent a game in the press box after his -3 against Minnesota, and if BM and RC weren't already treating this as a throw-away season I'm sure he would have gotten the Montour/Vatanen treatment after that horrendous game. And yet he stays in the lineup. Clear evidence to me that this season isn't really about winning anymore. 

True statement about the season NOT being about winning anymore.  That is pretty obvious at this point.

46 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I think that dtsdlaw stated it pretty well. By no means is Larsson a bust at this point but he has to make significant  strides in his game. For how much Murray and Carlyle were pumping his tires since he was drafted, I thought he’d be farther along than he currently is. The Ducks don’t have any real trading chips to use to get offensive help after losing Theodore and Vats. Larsson panning out would definitely help us with that.

35 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Why wouldn't someone with 15 total NHL games, especially a defenseman be over his head at times? Who else was on the ice for those E/S goals? I think the expectations are getting to be pretty high for Larsson.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

For how much Murray and Carlyle were pumping his tires since he was drafted, I thought he’d be farther along than he currently is

That's on Murray and Carlyle though for pumping him up like that. I understand that there will be expectations for young players to progress in their development and it looks like he's been slower than expected but he's just now getting his first real experience in the NHL. 

14 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Why wouldn't someone with 15 total NHL games, especially a defenseman be over his head at times? Who else was on the ice for those E/S goals? I think the expectations are getting to be pretty high for Larsson.

The expectation for Larsson has always been pretty high though. Ever since he made the team out of camp right after he was drafted and then the moving of Theodore to Vegas because he was going to fill that role. So, it makes sense that he’s going to be scrutinized more than other prospects. 

4 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

That's on Murray and Carlyle though for pumping him up like that. I understand that there will be expectations for young players to progress in their development and it looks like he's been slower than expected but he's just now getting his first real experience in the NHL. 

I agree that it’s still way too early to pass judgment on him and how he’ll turn out as an NHL player. However, given his expectations and the current state of the Ducks in general, it’s definitely not a comforting start. I thought that Mahura playing in his first game was more effective than Larsson in any of the games he’s been in. I’m still high on Larsson, but there’s no doubt he’s got a longer way to go. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree that it’s still way too early to pass judgment on him and how he’ll turn out as an NHL player. However, given his expectations and the current state of the Ducks in general, it’s definitely not a comforting start. I thought that Mahura playing in his first game was more effective than Larsson in any of the games he’s been in. I’m still high on Larsson, but there’s no doubt he’s got a longer way to go. 

To me it's perfectly fine if Larsson takes longer. The Ducks organization is a mess right now. I have no expectations for this team to be a real contender until the messes start to weed themselves out. In the mean time, the young guys can grow their games and eventually be those players that we are hoping for. If not, then those situations resolve themselves eventually. It just takes time and patience.