The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

54 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

I saw it as CANEING - as with a cane and 25 lashes-one for each year the Ducks have been in existence  - make that 24 - he gets a pass on the 2007 SC Win !!! :P

I saw it as "canoeing" like he was going to set Randy out in the middle of the ocean in a flimsy boat.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I saw it as "canoeing" like he was going to set Randy out in the middle of the ocean in a flimsy boat.

LOL....Oh Brother.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 12/7/2018 at 7:48 AM, nieder said:

I think Anaheim makes the playoffs too....but I don't give them much chance of going deep. The biggest reason they make it is because the Pacific division is terrible.

Don't disagree on why the Ducks make the playoffs, but I think they could actually make some noise when they get there this year. Mostly because we have a guy named Gibson who could easily have a '03 Giguere-like performance. And that's all it takes.

6 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

Don't disagree on why the Ducks make the playoffs, but I think they could actually make some noise when they get there this year. Mostly because we have a guy named Gibson who could easily have a '03 Giguere-like performance. And that's all it takes.

Yeah, but we had “The Great Gibson” last season and got wrecked when it mattered. The Ducks are far too bad/inconsistent for him to carry them on a deep playoff run. I don’t see the Ducks making the kind of improvement necessary to change their overall dependency on goaltending this year (they didn’t do it during the off-season). I’m all aboard the lottery pick band wagon at this point.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

I agree. You make the playoffs anything can happen.

14 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, but we had “The Great Gibson” last season and got wrecked when it mattered. The Ducks are far too bad/inconsistent for him to carry them on a deep playoff run. I don’t see the Ducks making the kind of improvement necessary to change their overall dependency on goaltending this year (they didn’t do it during the off-season). I’m all aboard the lottery pick band wagon at this point.

Yeah, Gibson didn't get hot and wasn't stellar in that series. Him and the Ducks didn't look like Jekyll in that series...they looked like Hyde...aka between their two personalities, the really bad one came out. If the really good one came out, that could have been a win. Statistically unlikely...but, that's the crazy thing about the playoffs...you might as well throw stats out the window. Anything can happen. We have the players where an "unlikely run" can happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I agree. You make the playoffs anything can happen.

Yeah, Gibson didn't get hot and wasn't stellar in that series. Him and the Ducks didn't look like Jekyll in that series...they looked like Hyde...aka between their two personalities, the really bad one came out. If the really good one came out, that could have been a win. Statistically unlikely...but, that's the crazy thing about the playoffs...you might as well throw stats out the window. Anything can happen. We have the players where an "unlikely run" can happen.

I think the bigger issue is that the Ducks were so bad that it wouldn’t have mattered how well he played. He wasn’t bad in that series. The team still has to give him a chance and they couldn’t and still can’t.

Since BM has gotten his extension and he basically RC isn't going to get fired can this thread just go away or change the name?  It's like having a great meal just out of reach... 

4 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think the bigger issue is that the Ducks were so bad that it wouldn’t have mattered how well he played. He wasn’t bad in that series. The team still has to give him a chance and they couldn’t and still can’t.

Yeah, absolutely. Gibson wasn't bad at all. The team in front of him was. But I'm just saying...if the team that played against Toronto or Tampa Bay or Nashville (the first time) shows up...we have a good chance at winning that series. Why they are so inconsistent is beyond me lol

7 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, absolutely. Gibson wasn't bad at all. The team in front of him was. But I'm just saying...if the team that played against Toronto or Tampa Bay or Nashville (the first time) shows up...we have a good chance at winning that series. Why they are so inconsistent is beyond me lol

I agree get into the playoffs anything can happen .We also have an excellent backup in Miller.

Miller won in Washington who were on a 8 game win streak.He also won in Tampa against the team with the best home record in the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mulcher said:

I agree get into the playoffs anything can happen .We also have an excellent backup in Miller.

Miller won in Washington who were on a 8 game win streak.He also won in Tampa against the team with the best home record in the league.

Which I believe makes our Ducks very competitive against our Enemies....History tells us Ducks Goaltending Duos in the past has always been our Strength in Playoffs at times.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Noted in the Murray extension article (via The Athletic) it was mentioned Carlyle will probably continue his career with the Ducks (after coaching) as a scout. Since Murray acknowledges the team is in transition, forget about a Carlyle firing this year. Baring some playoff miracle run, Carlyle will "retire" from coaching after this season and join the scouting staff.

18 hours ago, mulcher said:

It’s possible but highly, highly, highly unlikely with this current team. Murray even said that he doesn’t think that the Ducks are a contender and noted the importance of goaltending for the Ducks currently being in a playoff spot. It’s like he’s been reading these message boards! 

18 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah. It’s that inconsistency that the Ducks haven’t been able to figure out for a loooong time. They might be able to put together a good game on a given night but come nowhere near being able to do that in a 7-game series.

57 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

This thread have to be closed. End of meaningless discussions. Now that BM got extended for 2 more years, he'll extend his friend too.

29 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

With the extension to Bob, he and RC will now ride off into the horizon together. 

Ummm.  No

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

Now we need to focus on who they hire to apprentice under BM. 

That should be our Ducks Priority now...BM won't be at the helm much longer as is RC.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Interesting stat line for the team:

In their last 10 games, they are 8-2. In those 10 games, they have raised their Goals per game average to 3.20. However, their GAA average in this span has also risen to 2.90. 

So somehow, they have gone on this streak while only maintaining a + 0.3 Goals difference. Think the rise in GAA is because they have had some really poor defensive showings, even in some wins. So the good news is that they are now able to win, even if the goalies have an off night. The bad news is that their margin for error is razor thin, and it's possible that they could collapse at any moment.

Should be interesting going forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Interesting stat line for the team:

In their last 10 games, they are 8-2. In those 10 games, they have raised their Goals per game average to 3.20. However, their GAA average in this span has also risen to 2.90. 

So somehow, they have gone on this streak while only maintaining a + 0.3 Goals difference. Think the rise in GAA is because they have had some really poor defensive showings, even in some wins. So the good news is that they are now able to win, even if the goalies have an off night. The bad news is that their margin for error is razor thin, and it's possible that they could collapse at any moment.

Should be interesting going forward.

Essentially what you are saying is we can not expect the "Come Back Kids" to strike every game?

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, Thom-74 said:

Gibson is incredible. But how many odd-man breaks did he face against the sharks? I lost count. No matter how great your goalie is he's not going to stop every 2 on 1.

And it's still happening. See the hurricanes game for example (the one we won btw). Looking back at the highlights it's all canes up to a point. How we got away with 2 points is beyond me. We have a great record looking at our last 10 games but that could have been a lot different if it weren't for some stellar goaltending and lucky bounces (chicago & new jersey games).
I don't mean to discredit the team because winning in tampa and coming back in washington was amazing and goaltending is a part of the game. But the team is too Jekyll and Hyde. You just don't know whether they'll be 8-2 the next 10 or 2-8. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fisix said:

Now we need to focus on who they hire to apprentice under BM. 

Focus our criticism and scrutiny. 

• Like 2

Meanwhile, while we were all sure that RC was the next head coach to be canned, the team’s results (notice I did not say performance) the last few weeks has probably moved him into the early coach of the year discussion. 

11 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Meanwhile, while we were all sure that RC was the next head coach to be canned, the team’s results (notice I did not say performance) the last few weeks has probably moved him into the early coach of the year discussion. 

He better be taking Gibson out to dinner every night and thanking him profusely (Miller too)

Edited by RobD360

5 hours ago, RobD360 said:

He better be taking Gibson out to dinner every night and thanking him profusely (Miller too)

Probably until the end of the post-season since they are relying on him too much. Either Way Gibson is following in footsteps of Ducks Legendary Goalie J-S Giguere

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

23 hours ago, DT2008 said:

It's crazy. I congratulate the team and RC for getting results but I'm still skeptical. I can't get rid of the feeling that this team can go downhill faster than a fat guy on a scooter.

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

It's crazy. I congratulate the team and RC for getting results but I'm still skeptical. I can't get rid of the feeling that this team can go downhill faster than a fat guy on a scooter.

I agree, because they easily can lol. They did lose 8 straight earlier on in the season. No doubt that the team has improved, particularly they’ve gotten healthier but their underlying stats are still not very good. To me, the Ducks are still a paper tiger. Miller being out and CGY, SJ, VGK, EDM currently having their acts together is making things harder. I still think SJ and Vegas will be there in the end, who knows if Calgary or Edmonton’s goaltending will hold up.

One thing I’d like to see (although there is no chance it happens) is for the Ducks to put Kesler on the 4th line or scratch him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I agree, because they easily can lol. They did lose 8 straight earlier on in the season. No doubt that the team has improved, particularly they’ve gotten healthier but their underlying stats are still not very good. To me, the Ducks are still a paper tiger. Miller being out and CGY, SJ, VGK, EDM currently having their acts together is making things harder. I still think SJ and Vegas will be there in the end, who knows if Calgary or Edmonton’s goaltending will hold up.

One thing I’d like to see (although there is no chance it happens) is for the Ducks to put Kesler on the 4th line or scratch him.

It won't happen and it may never will.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Honestly Cogs and even Silf since he came back from injury have been almost as bad as Kesler. That whole line is a black hole, particularly offensively.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 2:58 AM, DT2008 said:

Uh, no.

RC is closer to being fired than he is to being a Jack Adams candidate. That's not to say he is going to fired anytime soon, but he's definitely not going to be winning pundits, or even this fanbase over. The Ducks are still ranked as a bottom 10 team in terms of analytics and advanced statistics. If anything, where we are now probably gives strong credibility to John Gibson's Vezina campaign, because goaltending statistics are the only thing that is above average right now about this team compared to the rest of the league.

Edited by BlazingEtem
  • Like 2