Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, saskduckfan said:

Not sure how Crosby was taken away from the Ducks? Because when they did that lottery there were two teams left when it was announced and it was between Anaheim and Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh won? Is that way? Let's not forget that the NHL announced the lottery results in reverse order, so when the lottery actually happened, every team was in the draw for #1. Pittsburgh was picked out of that. Then the Ducks got picked out at #2. The league just chose to announce it in reverse order, countdown style.

They don't do the actual draw on video though. The draw is done beforehand, then Bettman opens cards with team logos on them on live TV. The order is already decided by the time the cameras are turned on. The NHL can easily rig it so they choose who picks #1. I'm not sure I buy it but given that the league constantly favors certain teams over others it wouldn't surprise me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Is it 9 losses now? At some point even BM has to cave. Even if you can't salvage this season the team can use the remainder of the season to adjust to a new system. Poor Gibson. This team forgot how to score. The PP is abysmal. And no way this team is gonna win the lottery so I can't get excited about that either.

They are losing because they are changing to a new system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

only Pitts and Oilers receive the super talents (Lemieux/Crosby and Gretzky/McDavid)

and the lottery isn't a fair lottery. if its would be fair, they don't make it in a secret room...

Oilers, Toronto... Bettman wants the Canada Teams come back in business.

Anaheim isn't a Team they would make a favor. they give not enough money...

Gretzky was already with the Oilers when they merged with the NHL. The Ducks weren't even around when Lemiuex was drafted. The Ducks clinched the Western Conference with 109 points the year McNugget was drafted (Coyotes and Sabers fans have the right to complain about that draft). The Ducks had less of a chance of winning the 2005 draft than the Penguins. If anything, Columbus got hosed. The Ducks could have picked Kopitar but Burke wanted Ryan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Gretzky was already with the Oilers when they merged with the NHL. The Ducks weren't even around when Lemiuex was drafted. The Ducks clinched the Western Conference with 109 points the year McNugget was drafted (Coyotes and Sabers fans have the right to complain about that draft). The Ducks had less of a chance of winning the 2005 draft than the Penguins. If anything, Columbus got hosed. The Ducks could have picked Kopitar but Burke wanted Ryan. 

Isn't that the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nieder said:

Isn't that the point?

If the Ducks had less of a chance then how did the NHL "steal" it from them as some have claimed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

If the Ducks had less of a chance then how did the NHL "steal" it from them as some have claimed?

The claim is that they had less of a chance because the NHL is biased. Which based on the way the league acts off the ice, is pretty obvious that they favor certain teams. I'm not sure I buy they would rig a draft, but it's not that unbelievable.

At that draft every team (supposedly) had the same odds of winning.

Edited by nieder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, nieder said:

The claim is that they had less of a chance because the NHL is biased. Which based on the way the league acts off the ice, is pretty obvious that they favor certain teams. I'm not sure I buy they would rig a draft, but it's not that unbelievable.

At that draft every team (supposedly) had the same odds of winning.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401 :

The Draft Drawing, a weighted lottery system, was used to determine the order of selection for all seven rounds of the Entry Draft. Under the weighted lottery system, the clubs that neither qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons, nor were awarded the first overall selection in each of the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts, had the greatest chance of receiving the first overall selection, 6.3 per cent. These clubs were the Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers.

Ten clubs met one of the seven criteria listed above and had a 4.2% chance of winning the Drawing, while the remaining 16 clubs met more than one of the criteria and had a 2.1% chance.

Forty-eight balls, numbered one through 48, were placed in a lottery machine. Three ball numbers were randomly assigned to each the Penguins, Sabres, Blue Jackets and Rangers; two ball numbers were assigned to the 10 clubs with a 4.2% chance; and one ball number was assigned to the 16 clubs with a 2.1% chance. The first ball expelled determined the winner of the first overall draft pick and it had been assigned to the Penguins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401 :

The Draft Drawing, a weighted lottery system, was used to determine the order of selection for all seven rounds of the Entry Draft. Under the weighted lottery system, the clubs that neither qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons, nor were awarded the first overall selection in each of the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts, had the greatest chance of receiving the first overall selection, 6.3 per cent. These clubs were the Penguins, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers.

Ten clubs met one of the seven criteria listed above and had a 4.2% chance of winning the Drawing, while the remaining 16 clubs met more than one of the criteria and had a 2.1% chance.

Forty-eight balls, numbered one through 48, were placed in a lottery machine. Three ball numbers were randomly assigned to each the Penguins, Sabres, Blue Jackets and Rangers; two ball numbers were assigned to the 10 clubs with a 4.2% chance; and one ball number was assigned to the 16 clubs with a 2.1% chance. The first ball expelled determined the winner of the first overall draft pick and it had been assigned to the Penguins.

Well I remembered that wrong. Nice catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Gretzky was already with the Oilers when they merged with the NHL. The Ducks weren't even around when Lemiuex was drafted. The Ducks clinched the Western Conference with 109 points the year McNugget was drafted (Coyotes and Sabers fans have the right to complain about that draft). The Ducks had less of a chance of winning the 2005 draft than the Penguins. If anything, Columbus got hosed. The Ducks could have picked Kopitar but Burke wanted Ryan. 

I know, but I think its interesting, that this 2 Teams has the 4 (before draft) best talents.... I'm not talking about Ducks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since when did our Ducks Last time had  Trade that brought in a First Rounder from Bottom Dweller NHL Team?

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Randy Carlyle snapped when asked if he’s worried about his job security and then abruptly ended the interview. Said “dumb question” and then called the reporter a “jerk.”Seat is getting awfully hot with losing streak now at 10 #nhlducks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Randy Carlyle snapped when asked if he’s worried about his job security and then abruptly ended the interview. Said “dumb question” and then called the reporter a “jerk.”Seat is getting awfully hot with losing streak now at 10 #nhlducks

I tried to find the video but it seems the Ducks’ video cuts off before the question.  I did find this article which is interesting. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/carlyle-seat-gets-hotter-ducks-061937498.html

You can cite injuries.

You can point to the fact the core is getting older and may not be as good as it once was. All of that is true.

What is also true is that the way this Ducks team has played is the same way just about every Randy Carlyle coached team has played over the past decade. They get dominated territorially, spend way too much time defending in their own zone, and will only go as far as their goaltending can take them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Randy Carlyle snapped when asked if he’s worried about his job security and then abruptly ended the interview. Said “dumb question” and then called the reporter a “jerk.”Seat is getting awfully hot with losing streak now at 10 #nhlducks

In addition to all the stats that show just how poorly the team has been playing the ENTIRE season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I tried to find the video but it seems the Ducks’ video cuts off before the question.  I did find this article which is interesting. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/carlyle-seat-gets-hotter-ducks-061937498.html

You can cite injuries.

You can point to the fact the core is getting older and may not be as good as it once was. All of that is true.

What is also true is that the way this Ducks team has played is the same way just about every Randy Carlyle coached team has played over the past decade. They get dominated territorially, spend way too much time defending in their own zone, and will only go as far as their goaltending can take them.

You are correct HOWEVER the previous teams had more talent and the league has CHANGED !! the grinding tough teams have bee replaced by very quick, skilled teams - and you can see it in almost every good team that we have played against. Last night was a great example of the differences - after the first period ( thanks to our Vezna candidate  Gibby ) - after that it was " old school vs the new hockey - could easily have been 12-4 !!  IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winnipeg is where Carlyle’s playing career ended in 2003, and also where his coaching career started.

Ducks will be in Winnipeg on Sunday.

Symmetry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DUCKSDOC said:

You are correct HOWEVER the previous teams had more talent and the league has CHANGED !! the grinding tough teams have bee replaced by very quick, skilled teams - and you can see it in almost every good team that we have played against. Last night was a great example of the differences - after the first period ( thanks to our Vezna candidate  Gibby ) - after that it was " old school vs the new hockey - could easily have been 12-4 !!  IMHO

LIstening to Lindholm's comments after the Edmonton game and Carlyle's comments I can't believe RC is confused as to what the problem is. Lindholm made a comment on how fast the other teams attack. RC commented that the Penguins had 5 guys cycling the puck. Hmmmmm. I guess he means unlike the Ducks who plant 2 guys at the point and 3 cycle. The only time the D typically gets involved is when they pinch or carry the puck in themselves. They're not a part of the possession cycle. Someone said, maybe quoting RC, that the Ducks were going to play with speed and not do the dump and chase. Lasted how many games?  They have the talent to win games but the system to lose.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I tried to find the video but it seems the Ducks’ video cuts off before the question.  I did find this article which is interesting. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/carlyle-seat-gets-hotter-ducks-061937498.html

You can cite injuries.

You can point to the fact the core is getting older and may not be as good as it once was. All of that is true.

What is also true is that the way this Ducks team has played is the same way just about every Randy Carlyle coached team has played over the past decade. They get dominated territorially, spend way too much time defending in their own zone, and will only go as far as their goaltending can take them.

 

"The process behind the results has not been close to good enough, and there is no evidence to suggest that the Ducks have played as well as even their mediocre record might indicate or that things are going to get drastically better. The entire thing is driven by goaltending, and unless Gibson or Ryan Miller stand on their head they have almost zero chance to win on any given night."


Truer words have never been spoken.

I would list Gibson out for the rest of the year with a fake injury.  Send him to the Bahamas or the like as a thank you for his incredible season so far. The only way this team gets better soon with the old, aging contracts is to have young, low paid goal scorers coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

 

"The process behind the results has not been close to good enough, and there is no evidence to suggest that the Ducks have played as well as even their mediocre record might indicate or that things are going to get drastically better. The entire thing is driven by goaltending, and unless Gibson or Ryan Miller stand on their head they have almost zero chance to win on any given night."


Truer words have never been spoken.

I would list Gibson out for the rest of the year with a fake injury.  Send him to the Bahamas or the like as a thank you for his incredible season so far. The only way this team gets better soon with the old, aging contracts is to have young, low paid goal scorers coming in.

They need a new system which is something they should perfected in training camp and preseason. They briefly tried to play the "new" NHL system, it didn't immediately work, so they went back to the old. RC mentioned the team looking tired. It's more tiring chasing a game than playing a quick game. The Ducks chase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I tried to find the video but it seems the Ducks’ video cuts off before the question.  I did find this article which is interesting. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/carlyle-seat-gets-hotter-ducks-061937498.html

You can cite injuries.

You can point to the fact the core is getting older and may not be as good as it once was. All of that is true.

What is also true is that the way this Ducks team has played is the same way just about every Randy Carlyle coached team has played over the past decade. They get dominated territorially, spend way too much time defending in their own zone, and will only go as far as their goaltending can take them.

Can’t use injury as an excuse. They got everyone back besides Perry and Eaves. 

Cant use the aging excuse either, normally yes but because Perry and Eaves are off the team, this team has more youth than older vets currently on the roster. The D alone are all younger than 30. 

I still think we have a talented lineup, it’s just grossly being misused right now. 

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several things:

@helenenothelen: 

No news from Ducks on the coaching front, I was told a little while ago.

yes, I've said that previously. Carlyle was promised a front-office job when he stops coaching.

 

Things got a little heated with Randy Carlyle postgame when he was asked about his job security. The Ducks have lost 10 games in a row, which begs the question of how much longer this can go before any (player, coach, anything) changes are made?

ANAHEIM, Calif. – After his team’s 10th straight loss, a defeat that saw the Anaheim Ducks blow a 3-0 first-period lead, a 4-3 third-period lead and fall to the Pittsburgh Penguins 7-4, Randy Carlyle was asked about his job security.

And the coach snapped.

“What do you mean? What are you trying to say? Well what do you think?” he scolded after the query on whether he was worried if anything could happen to him because of the defeat.

When it was noted that he probably was worried, Carlyle said, “Well then don’t ask the dumb questions,” and then walked off, ending his media scrum after a little over three minutes.

On Sunday when the Ducks lost 4-0 to an Edmonton Oilers team that looked lifeless in a loss the previous night at the Kings, NHL Network analyst Kevin Weekes floated a rumor about a coaching change with the Ducks.

General manager Bob Murray emphatically denied the rumor to The Athletic.

The Ducks then lost in...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Can’t use injury as an excuse. They got everyone back besides Perry and Eaves. 

Cant use the aging excuse either, normally yes but because Perry and Eaves are off the team, this team has more youth than older vets currently on the roster. The D alone are all younger than 30. 

I still think we have a talented lineup, it’s just grossly being misused right now. 

Boston, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Islanders, San Jose, Vegas all have older rosters by average age. Nashville is almost exactly the same average age. Maybe the issue is more 'slowness' rather than 'aging'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, do we need to try and start some boycott to force change?  While I can't get a refund for my tickets, not being there saves me parking and food money.

If it's noticeable enough and trends, maybe it works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

LIstening to Lindholm's comments after the Edmonton game and Carlyle's comments I can't believe RC is confused as to what the problem is. Lindholm made a comment on how fast the other teams attack. RC commented that the Penguins had 5 guys cycling the puck. Hmmmmm. I guess he means unlike the Ducks who plant 2 guys at the point and 3 cycle. The only time the D typically gets involved is when they pinch or carry the puck in themselves. They're not a part of the possession cycle. Someone said, maybe quoting RC, that the Ducks were going to play with speed and not do the dump and chase. Lasted how many games?  They have the talent to win games but the system to lose.

AMEN brother !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question would be what do the players think? They made it clear when they were done with Bruce...and they made it clear they were done with Randy the first time...are they doing that now? Do they feel the system isn't working?? Or do they feel they just aren't implementing it or trying hard enough with it?

If it's the former...then god I hope they are saying something and if they are...what the hell is Bob waiting for??? Maybe for a better coaching candidate? Joel Q might not be available. He might be wanting some time off and then sign with the Blues or something in the off season...Bob fired Randy the first time 'cause Bruce became available and that's not a coach you just let be unemployed.

And no how they are acting on the ice shouldn't be enough...if they are playing poorly 'cause they hate the system...but then in the locker room say "we just need to try harder" then that's giving management mixed signals. You can be vocal about hating the system and also trying to implement it. But it should also be on Bob to notice the system isn't gelling with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

My question would be what do the players think? They made it clear when they were done with Bruce...and they made it clear they were done with Randy the first time...are they doing that now? Do they feel the system isn't working?? Or do they feel they just aren't implementing it or trying hard enough with it?

If it's the former...then god I hope they are saying something and if they are...what the hell is Bob waiting for??? Maybe for a better coaching candidate? Joel Q might not be available. He might be wanting some time off and then sign with the Blues or something in the off season...Bob fired Randy the first time 'cause Bruce became available and that's not a coach you just let be unemployed.

And no how they are acting on the ice shouldn't be enough...if they are playing poorly 'cause they hate the system...but then in the locker room say "we just need to try harder" then that's giving management mixed signals. You can be vocal about hating the system and also trying to implement it. But it should also be on Bob to notice the system isn't gelling with them.

1. I'm not sure why you are saying "they" were done with RC when Teemu was very vocal after he was fired and the twins were also publicly upset. 

2. The system is the same it's been for years; that's the problem. What they haven't done is adapt to a new system. Is that on the players for giving up on a new system or the coach not giving it enough time for the "old" players to learn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

1. I'm not sure why you are saying "they" were done with RC when Teemu was very vocal after he was fired and the twins were also publicly upset. 

2. The system is the same it's been for years; that's the problem. What they haven't done is adapt to a new system. Is that on the players for giving up on a new system or the coach not giving it enough time for the "old" players to learn it.

I must be misremembering then. I know Teemu was very vocal about it -- especially about how poor Bruce was after he retired. But I don't remember the twins being the same way.

Well, I don't know the answer to no. 2. That's my question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't get is how can they have a good first period like they did against the Pens and then just fall flat in the second period and then on for the rest of the game. What happens in the locker room in the first intermission? Are the guys in such bad condition that they can't play 60 minutes? I just don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...