The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

I think it isn't fair to the team to say that this season is lost. Think about it for a minute, would the team have been better under a different coach? I think so. Too much blame is going on the players and I think they aren't to blame here. Defense is garbage. Why? I think it's on coaching. Special teams are garbage. Why? Again we were at the top in terms of total goals allowed for the season a few years ago. Guys like Bieksa were the reason for it? I don't think so. The team has fallen off a cliff. The gm keeps saying it's the players, he's basically lying to cover for RC. There is no way that he can't clearly see what the issue here is. 

So what's happening is we're writing this season off. The coaching is to blame here! We lost a whole season thanks to the coach. BM should clearly be on the hot seat. He's the sole reason the coach is still here. I would even give him a pass if he finally lets go of the coach. Make an assistant the interim, it can't be any worse than it already is. And if he fails then so what? At least some change was made from the status quo. Get rid of RC! It's painful watching the players play this system that's hot garbage!!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

I think it isn't fair to the team to say that this season is lost. Think about it for a minute, would the team have been better under a different coach? I think so. Too much blame is going on the players and I think they aren't to blame here. Defense is garbage. Why? I think it's on coaching. Special teams are garbage. Why? Again we were at the top in terms of total goals allowed for the season a few years ago. Guys like Bieksa were the reason for it? I don't think so. The team has fallen off a cliff. The gm keeps saying it's the players, he's basically lying to cover for RC. There is no way that he can't clearly see what the issue here is. 

So what's happening is we're writing this season off. The coaching is to blame here! We lost a whole season thanks to the coach. BM should clearly be on the hot seat. He's the sole reason the coach is still here. I would even give him a pass if he finally lets go of the coach. Make an assistant the interim, it can't be any worse than it already is. And if he fails then so what? At least some change was made from the status quo. Get rid of RC! It's painful watching the players play this system that's hot garbage!!!

Murray is a much bigger problem than Carlyle. Yet, Bob’s job is secure whether he fires Carlyle or not so he’s not going to fire his bff mid-season for a second time. He’s throwing the players under the bus and giving the fan base the middle finger in the process. The Ducks never had high expectations for this season but I never imagined that they would be the worst on-ice product in the league. I thought that there would be a breaking point but there doesn’t seem to be one. Gibson should stop caring and let in 5 goals a game to highlight how awful it all is and then demands a trade to an organization that actually gives a ****

• Like 2

1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

It's not fair.  It is the way it is.  You make great points.  If only others could see it that way.  And by others I mean the owners.  The fact this is being allowed to continue in a professional sport is beyond any level of comprehension.  The performance today underscores this.  6 goals in the first period and what - 5 shots or was it 4???  I don't blame the goal keeper - I feel bad for him.  He's a class player and a class person from what he shows.  This must be hard for him.

The rest of the team?  Who knows what they are thinking.

They are "turnover machines" and can't get out of their own way.  Can't exit their zone either - pass, pass, fumble, skate, fumble - turnover - 2 on 1 - GOAL!  That's a system.

That's their system.  It truly is painful to watch.

First article is about fans calling for RC to be fired. Interesting statement as to why he may not be. “Murray’s in an awkward situation either way. If he continues to put these failures on the players, then isn’t that an indictment of his team-building? On the other hand, firing Carlyle again wouldn’t be the greatest look for the long-time Ducks executive.”

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/02/02/ducks-fans-call-for-carlyles-firing-after-9-3-debacle/

Second article is on the loss. Most glaring statement, ““We’ve got to test our mettle and our personnel,” Carlyle said. “Our personnel has to understand what happened tonight is unacceptable and we’re going to hold some people accountable to the way they’re playing. Ice time. They’re going to sit in the stands. There are various ways of ways to do it.”

Also, this statement tells me they’ve stopped listening. ““You don’t give yourself a chance if you don’t compete and we didn’t compete,” Coach Randy Carlyle said. “They know the message. I spoke my piece after the first period because after that, in my mind, you’re not going to have much of an affect on them because they’re numb.”

http://www.ocregister.com/ducks-return-from-9-day-break-and-give-up-9-goals-in-loss-to-jets

8 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

First article is about fans calling for RC to be fired. Interesting statement as to why he may not be. “Murray’s in an awkward situation either way. If he continues to put these failures on the players, then isn’t that an indictment of his team-building? On the other hand, firing Carlyle again wouldn’t be the greatest look for the long-time Ducks executive.”

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/02/02/ducks-fans-call-for-carlyles-firing-after-9-3-debacle/

Second article is on the loss. Most glaring statement, ““We’ve got to test our mettle and our personnel,” Carlyle said. “Our personnel has to understand what happened tonight is unacceptable and we’re going to hold some people accountable to the way they’re playing. Ice time. They’re going to sit in the stands. There are various ways of ways to do it.”

Also, this statement tells me they’ve stopped listening. ““You don’t give yourself a chance if you don’t compete and we didn’t compete,” Coach Randy Carlyle said. “They know the message. I spoke my piece after the first period because after that, in my mind, you’re not going to have much of an affect on them because they’re numb.”

http://www.ocregister.com/ducks-return-from-9-day-break-and-give-up-9-goals-in-loss-to-jets

Haha. Murray put himself in this position and has decided to do nothing to get out of it. This is solely on him and deserves absolutely no sympathy. This article should have been written in late October and could have been by many people on these boards.

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Haha. Murray put himself in this position and has decided to do nothing to get out of it. This is solely on him and deserves absolutely no sympathy. This article should have been written in late October and could have been by many people on these boards.

Murray is stubborn his tenure will go down as one of the worst in Recent history of the Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

There a part of me that really wishes the players and Gibson would just start standing still on the ice like statues and refuse to actually play until both Carlyle and Murray are gone. Murray can only sit so many players and send down even fewer. This situation is worse than when Carlyle was fired the first time.

If the  Samueli's had a lick of sense they would fire both of them, and go  get Quenville. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

There a part of me that really wishes the players and Gibson would just start standing still on the ice like statues and refuse to actually play until both Carlyle and Murray are gone. Murray can only sit so many players and send down even fewer. This situation is worse than when Carlyle was fired the first time.

If the  Samueli's had a lick of sense they would fire both of them, and go  get Quenville. 

Haven't they been standing still all season?

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Same here. He’s a dump & crash guy who’s behing told to coach a speed and possession team. It’s just not working

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I don't think it is " an indictment of his team-building" because the younger kids are having some success with the Gulls, and we do have good players and a great goalie  .

But this confuses me even more because I thought Eakins was using the same system that RC was using, so the kids would be ready once they move up to the big leagues. Does this mean that Eakins is teaching the RC system better or does it mean the system just does not work in the NHL? Also, if Eakins is moved up to the Ducks, will he stay with the RC system? 

I am done with the dump and chase system. Makes no sense to go to the front of the net if we are not controlling the puck. I am baffled with the exit from our zone. Sometimes  I think the defense is trying to pass to the position where a player should be, but nobody is there. Maybe remove the blue lines because we have problems getting past them.

My biggest fear is that some of the defensive core gets traded and we never see their full potential under a different system, or even worse, we have RC for one more year.

2 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Lol I think we're past that point already. Keeping RC should not be the greatest look by now. It can't be worse than holding onto him. 

And, I also agree that we are going to trade out players who probably would have played better under a new coach and thus we could get better value at the trade deadline. That's also baffling asset management. You're keeping the guy who is creating this poor play then taking the guys you say are playing poorly and trading them? You could say have the players play a better system with a new coach, trade players for a better value, and have a more watchable product on the ice for the fans... just by getting rid of the coach. BM is insane. 

I honestly don't even care who the coach is at this point. Get a bunch of recreational kids league coaches and have them stand in a circle. BM then stands in the middle and spins, then points to one and he's our new coach. That's how much I don't care who the guy is that replaces RC for the rest of the year...

1 hour ago, Southbayduck said:

I don't think it is " an indictment of his team-building" because the younger kids are having some success with the Gulls, and we do have good players and a great goalie  .

But this confuses me even more because I thought Eakins was using the same system that RC was using, so the kids would be ready once they move up to the big leagues. Does this mean that Eakins is teaching the RC system better or does it mean the system just does not work in the NHL? Also, if Eakins is moved up to the Ducks, will he stay with the RC system? 

I am done with the dump and chase system. Makes no sense to go to the front of the net if we are not controlling the puck. I am baffled with the exit from our zone. Sometimes  I think the defense is trying to pass to the position where a player should be, but nobody is there. Maybe remove the blue lines because we have problems getting past them.

My biggest fear is that some of the defensive core gets traded and we never see their full potential under a different system, or even worse, we have RC for one more year.

I would say that it isn't an indictment of his drafting but of his trades and signings. Other than the familiar faces, the Ducks have had a revolving door on the bottom 2 lines. 

I think it has more to do with Eakins coaching style rather than the system. His players are listening to him and have bought into what he expects from them. I read the players' and Eakins' comments after games and it's typically the same. 

"We brought up what kind of team we want to be. Do we want to be a mediocre team, do we want to be a good team or do we want to get back to the standards that these players have set for themselves with the way they play." - head coach Dallas Eakins

"I think we saw flashes of what this team can be if we’re willing to keep our shifts very short. We’re able to just turn four lines over and it turns into a very tough matchup game for the other team." - head coach Dallas Eakins

"We have a really strong group in there, top to bottom, with some vets and younger guys who can really play. It’s been a big change for me, but I’m excited to keep going with this group and hopefully do something special." - Justin Kloos

"Every game is its own, any team can win on any given night. At the same time, when you’re feeling good, you’re feeling good. We are going into games and guys are having a lot of fun at the rink so that’s a part of it too." - Sam Steel

“Just embracing the adversity, we preached that from day one. It’s not going to be easy, this league isn’t easy. There’s guys coming in and out, injuries, guys getting called up. You just have to adapt and we’re doing a good job right now”. - Chase De Leo

"I can see why they’ve had success recently. They’re all dialed in. Everyone is on the same page. It was fun to be a part of. I just tried to jump in and keep the snowball going." - Patrick Eaves

"We would’ve liked to get the win, but we kept the point streak alive. Sitting around after that game, we’re looking around at each other and everyone is piddleed off and that’s what you want to see." - Chase De Leo

"I’d be really happy with eight (points) but I thought we really did well on the trip. It’s a lot of travel, some time zones, but I love that our guys don’t care. It doesn’t matter to them. They’re going to come out and work hard." - head coach Dallas Eakins

There is also show appreciation for the fans:

@dels9 Unbelievable support today in Ontario from our fans all the way from San Diego! Best fans in the league is an understatement😃👍🏼@SDGullsAHL

Dallas EakinsVerified account @dallaseakins
We are privileged to have #AmericasFinestFans always with us through thick and thin. You inspire with encouragement and support. We feel it. #WeCanHearYou

"Our fan support is amazing, they’re always with us, even on our down times. They’re always out there pushing us along. We’re very comfortable here, we love playing at home." - head coach Dallas Eakins

• Like 2

Everybody relax. The post asked for a reason for the debacle.. So I came up with one. Rust sounded reasonable. It's not like they gave up 6 goals in the third period (again, I'm being flippant). The team can lose the next 30 games as far as I'm concerned. Randy will be gone next year. Coaches (except goalie coach) will be gone next year. Maybe we escape this season with a decent draft pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I would say that it isn't an indictment of his drafting but of his trades and signings. Other than the familiar faces, the Ducks have had a revolving door on the bottom 2 lines. 

I think it has more to do with Eakins coaching style rather than the system. His players are listening to him and have bought into what he expects from them. I read the players' and Eakins' comments after games and it's typically the same. 

"We brought up what kind of team we want to be. Do we want to be a mediocre team, do we want to be a good team or do we want to get back to the standards that these players have set for themselves with the way they play." - head coach Dallas Eakins

"I think we saw flashes of what this team can be if we’re willing to keep our shifts very short. We’re able to just turn four lines over and it turns into a very tough matchup game for the other team." - head coach Dallas Eakins

"We have a really strong group in there, top to bottom, with some vets and younger guys who can really play. It’s been a big change for me, but I’m excited to keep going with this group and hopefully do something special." - Justin Kloos

"Every game is its own, any team can win on any given night. At the same time, when you’re feeling good, you’re feeling good. We are going into games and guys are having a lot of fun at the rink so that’s a part of it too." - Sam Steel

“Just embracing the adversity, we preached that from day one. It’s not going to be easy, this league isn’t easy. There’s guys coming in and out, injuries, guys getting called up. You just have to adapt and we’re doing a good job right now”. - Chase De Leo

"I can see why they’ve had success recently. They’re all dialed in. Everyone is on the same page. It was fun to be a part of. I just tried to jump in and keep the snowball going." - Patrick Eaves

"We would’ve liked to get the win, but we kept the point streak alive. Sitting around after that game, we’re looking around at each other and everyone is piddleed off and that’s what you want to see." - Chase De Leo

"I’d be really happy with eight (points) but I thought we really did well on the trip. It’s a lot of travel, some time zones, but I love that our guys don’t care. It doesn’t matter to them. They’re going to come out and work hard." - head coach Dallas Eakins

There is also show appreciation for the fans:

@dels9 Unbelievable support today in Ontario from our fans all the way from San Diego! Best fans in the league is an understatement😃👍🏼@SDGullsAHL

Dallas EakinsVerified account @dallaseakins
We are privileged to have #AmericasFinestFans always with us through thick and thin. You inspire with encouragement and support. We feel it. #WeCanHearYou

"Our fan support is amazing, they’re always with us, even on our down times. They’re always out there pushing us along. We’re very comfortable here, we love playing at home." - head coach Dallas Eakins

Rubbish! I want to hear players getting thrown under the bus and that practice drills are wearing them out. And What about post game comments that start with the same word? Aren’t these characteristics of ‘Real’ champions anyways? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Rubbish! I want to hear players getting thrown under the bus and that practice drills are wearing them out. And What about post game comments that start with the same word? Aren’t these characteristics of ‘Real’ champions anyways? 

What's rubbish?  I can't wait for Eakins to take over the team. Next year can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

So, two different broadcasting moments pointed out that Carlyle refused to pull Gibson until the team and Getzlaf put their foot down and got him to the bench. Utterly ridiculous to embarrass your best player for some vapid point 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So, two different broadcasting moments pointed out that Carlyle refused to pull Gibson until the team and Getzlaf put their foot down and got him to the bench. Utterly ridiculous to embarrass your best player for some vapid point 

Link? Quotes? Source?

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

What's rubbish?  I can't wait for Eakins to take over the team. Next year can't come soon enough.

Lol calm down it was Sarcasm 

1 hour ago, nieder said:

The video itself shows nothing. It's mostly just the commentary saying that is what was happening.

They wouldn’t state that it happened if it didn’t. It’s already happened once before. Last game Gibson got pulled in, Getzlaf had to skate to the bench and tel Carlyle to pull him. 

The lack of pulling him could also be a product of "are we really going to put Johnson in net???" I dunno.

To me, it really ultimately still comes down to how poor our defense has been. Yes we aren't scoring or even shooting...but that starts with our zone exists...our D passing the puck. Or skating/moving their legs. It's all about how horrible our defensive coverage is. And, obviously RC has a lot of responsibility there...but I feel it has A LOT to do with this new assistant coach Wilford. From my understanding he is in charge of the defense??

The D seems to have played the same way last night as they have been all season. Poor passes, a bunch of standing around and stick checking, and hardly using the body. That seems to be the clear problem here. I don't understand what RC is talking about...players not playing the right system or whatever??? They looked the same last night as they have all year basically. It's just we didn't have Gibson stand on his head.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

The lack of pulling him could also be a product of "are we really going to put Johnson in net???" I dunno.

To me, it really ultimately still comes down to how poor our defense has been. Yes we aren't scoring or even shooting...but that starts with our zone exists...our D passing the puck. Or skating/moving their legs. It's all about how horrible our defensive coverage is. And, obviously RC has a lot of responsibility there...but I feel it has A LOT to do with this new assistant coach Wilford. From my understanding he is in charge of the defense??

The D seems to have played the same way last night as they have been all season. Poor passes, a bunch of standing around and stick checking, and hardly using the body. That seems to be the clear problem here. I don't understand what RC is talking about...players not playing the right system or whatever??? They looked the same last night as they have all year basically. It's just we didn't have Gibson stand on his head.

Team just clearly doesn’t believe in the coach. This team is not this bad. They have zero belief in themselves or the system they are playing in. It’s clear as day that carlyle has lost the room. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

They wouldn’t state that it happened if it didn’t. It’s already happened once before. Last game Gibson got pulled in, Getzlaf had to skate to the bench and tel Carlyle to pull him. 

The guy said on the same broadcast that Perry hit somebody in the head. 

Commentators say stuff all the time that didn't happen so long as it makes the opposition look bad.

Edited by nieder

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Team just clearly doesn’t believe in the coach. This team is not this bad. They have zero belief in themselves or the system they are playing in. It’s clear as day that carlyle has lost the room. 

Agree - it has to be a terrible place to be ( in the locker room ). Our guys are not committing to ANY type of system. When they try to do RC's dump and chase they don't seem to pursue it and then all heck breaks out and what we see is a " non-system " - which results in penalties, give aways, and no speed. This year is GONE and hopefully RC along with it. IMHO

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

At the risk of talking about RC...

I agree with every point you made.  The players have nothing.  They don't have a system.  Or belief.  Or the idea that anything is going to change.  Someone said the team could fire him in Toronto - that ain't happening.  A guy can dream...

I feel bad for Gibson and the players.  It must be tough.

You'd think they would gut it out for each other but I don't see that happening either.  The defense is the worst.  It never looked like that when the other assistant coaches were here - heck they won the best defense award a couple of years ago with basically the same bunch so they totally know how to play.  The standing around, stick checking and not taking anyone out is ridiculous.  It's supposed to be professional hockey - not beer league or fireman's hockey.

I think this team still believes in one thing. And that is to play so poorly so RC gets fired.

It can't be that a bunch of professional  (some good, some very good) hockey players all of a sudden forgot how to play hockey. 

Too bad management doesn't listen to the players.  Hopefully RC (and BM) get booed out of Honda Center next home game.