The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

It's interesting how the commentary is as scattered as the duck's play is right now.

my baseless guess is that the ownership and executives wrote the season off a few months ago, then sort of tried to manage things to give gibson a chance at the all stars and, separately, to beef up some trade fodder, but now are letting things slide and treating most games as scrimmages.  

most of the players already know where they're going to be (or not be) next season.  RC knows where he won't be next season.  BM knows where he and the rest of the ownership/execs will be next season.  no-one is interested in risking further injuries for a 1st round sweep.  some of the injured players are question marks going forward... but not with regard to this season.

the only question that remains for this season - will BM trade known performers for picks or to gear up for whatever Eakins wants?  that's pretty much it.

i should note: no team can come out saying they're tanking for a high draft pick.  you won't hear it.  moves in that direction will have subtle collateral justifications.  if it's explicit or too obvious, the league gets grumpy.

all that said... i think it's best to keep undies un-bunched for the remainder of the season.  best thing for the team, i think, is to play to minimize injuries and bad mojo with the league, and to play for fun with their linemates and to learn skills... like an extended spring training (with some forward-looking implications if they can't mentally show up and be positive about playing with their linemates, even though winning isn't going come often).

i know a few of you often say that professional players and teams don't like playing losing battles, and while that's true, there are plenty of teams that have unanimously taken a pause when the outlook is bleak and switched from playing to win the season to playing to win the quarter/period/game, on quarter/period/game by quarter/period/game basis.  i can only think this is especially true when it's late in an 80+ game season.  that's where i think we are. 

to keep yourself sane, i'd start looking for and applauding good efforts in games, good scoring chances, good defensive plays, etc., on a play by play basis, and give up caring about the scores at the ends of the games, for the rest of the season.  switch up what you're looking for in terms of "success" through April.  otherwise, you're going to find yourself beating a dead and decaying horse.

• Like 3

Ducks Trade Bait List I have assemble.

1.Jakob Silfverberg
2.Ryan Miller
3.Cam Fowler
4.Hampus Lindholm
5.Max Jones
6.Devin Shore.
7.Adam Henrique
8.Jacob Larrson
9.Ducks 1st Round 2019 Pick
10.Nic Ritchie.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

It's interesting how the commentary is as scattered as the duck's play is right now.

my baseless guess is that the ownership and executives wrote the season off a few months ago, then sort of tried to manage things to give gibson a chance at the all stars and, separately, to beef up some trade fodder, but now are letting things slide and treating most games as scrimmages.  

most of the players already know where they're going to be (or not be) next season.  RC knows where he won't be next season.  BM knows where he and the rest of the ownership/execs will be next season.  no-one is interested in risking further injuries for a 1st round sweep.  some of the injured players are question marks going forward... but not with regard to this season.

the only question that remains for this season - will BM trade known performers for picks or to gear up for whatever Eakins wants?  that's pretty much it.

i should note: no team can come out saying they're tanking for a high draft pick.  you won't hear it.  moves in that direction will have subtle collateral justifications.  if it's explicit or too obvious, the league gets grumpy.

all that said... i think it's best to keep undies un-bunched for the remainder of the season.  best thing for the team, i think, is to play to minimize injuries and bad mojo with the league, and to play for fun with their linemates and to learn skills... like an extended spring training (with some forward-looking implications if they can't mentally show up and be positive about playing with their linemates, even though winning isn't going come often).

i know a few of you often say that professional players and teams don't like playing losing battles, and while that's true, there are plenty of teams that have unanimously taken a pause when the outlook is bleak and switched from playing to win the season to playing to win the quarter/period/game, on quarter/period/game by quarter/period/game basis.  i can only think this is especially true when it's late in an 80+ game season.  that's where i think we are. 

to keep yourself sane, i'd start looking for and applauding good efforts in games, good scoring chances, good defensive plays, etc., on a play by play basis, and give up caring about the scores at the ends of the games, for the rest of the season.  switch up what you're looking for in terms of "success" through April.  otherwise, you're going to find yourself beating a dead and decaying horse.

So what you are saying is to celebrate the shift with out a goal being scored or a missed penalty?  I can do that. 

On a serious note - great post.

the true meaning of “acceptance” in the grief cycle...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

all that said... i think it's best to keep undies un-bunched for the remainder of the season.  best thing for the team, i think, is to play to minimize injuries and bad mojo with the league, and to play for fun with their linemates and to learn skills... like an extended spring training (with some forward-looking implications if they can't mentally show up and be positive about playing with their linemates, even though winning isn't going come often).

Two different schools of thought, I guess. Your school seems to be preaching the attitude of "if the players don't care, why should I?". I am of the opposite school - I care immensely, and I'm appalled that the players are playing like they don't and are hanging our all-star goalie out to dry. So I intend to keep beating the dead and decaying horse until the powers that be finally cut the disease out of it.

Undies bunched - check

Pitchforks out - check

Fire Carlyle. :angry:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Two different schools of thought, I guess. Your school seems to be preaching the attitude of "if the players don't care, why should I?". I am of the opposite school - I care immensely, and I'm appalled that the players are playing like they don't and are hanging our all-star goalie out to dry. So I intend to keep beating the dead and decaying horse until the powers that be finally cut the disease out of it.

Undies bunched - check

Pitchforks out - check

I'm with you. My wife wonders why I am watching the game AGAIN  - and I explained to her I WANT THE DUCKS TO WIN !!! Or at the very least be competitive . I have been a Season Ticket Holder since game ONE and this is the worst exhibition I have seen - it rivals the ICE MAN and the FLAMING Wild Wing but they were fixable. I'm not sure that this is fixable. IMHO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Undies bunched - check

Pitchforks out - check

When do we storm the castle??

• Like 1

"our ice rink is MUCH bigger than their ice rink"

"our stanley cups are much more than theirs"

("we're storming their castle as we speak")

or not...

meanwhile, BM is ordering a mead...

9 hours ago, hoxxey said:

"our ice rink is MUCH bigger than their ice rink"

"our stanley cups are much more than theirs"

("we're storming their castle as we speak")

or not...

meanwhile, BM is ordering a mead...

Cancel that mead...

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 9:15 PM, RobD360 said:

Better yet. Bob should fire RC and make himself coach and GM of the team. Then he could put his money where his mouth is 

LOL taking my suggestion I guess... 

• Like 4

Murray should fire himself while he’s at it.  Carlyle was not the sole problem with this underperforming group, but you can’t fire all the players (although it would not be a bad idea to dump some of them).

Edited by Fowl

3 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

Does this mean this thread can finally be closed?

No because if he’s going to just slide into a front office position then this thread still has a long way to go LOL 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

No because if he’s going to just slide into a front office position then this thread still has a long way to go LOL 

Wasn't that the initial plan?

Pretty obvious the team quit on Carlyle.  His style was outdated, and yeah, he needed to go, but no doubt the players gave him a huge push out the door. Reminds me of the last time he was fired.  The players were skating at two-thirds speed, and gave less than their full effort on the ice.  The coach's message got old, and they quit on him.  

Will be quite interesting to see how Murray deals with this bunch.  It's like a ship without a rudder.  I think team leadership (and possibly a leadership change) should be one of the things Murray should evaluate.

Edited by Fowl