The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

52 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Alain Vigneault? He’s taken two different teams to the Finals, and Kesler knows him. As far as I know he is available. He's also a former defenseman, so he'd be right up BM's alley. And he's coached teams that play faster than what we have seen lately.

From what I've read, he's a coach that doesn't like taking responsibility or at least that's what got him fired from the Rangers. I don't like the thought of that.

11 minutes ago, nieder said:

Because Bylsma is an assistant in Detroit. Also Lindy Ruff is an assistant for the Rangers.

Bylsma is in that "fresh start" mode and Ruff? No thank you to either. I don't think there will be an easy solution to this problem and that's assuming Bob Murray thinks that there is a problem. 

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

From what I've read, he's a coach that doesn't like taking responsibility or at least that's what got him fired from the Rangers. I don't like the thought of that.

Bylsma is in that "fresh start" mode and Ruff? No thank you to either. I don't think there will be an easy solution to this problem and that's assuming Bob Murray thinks that there is a problem. 

That was the knock on him last season, but every coach who doesn’t win is going to have terrible things said about him. For example, go back and read some of the things Florida said about Gerard Gallant when they fired him.

Anyway, other names I would throw out are Dave Tippett and Adam Oates. There are options out there.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I know what you're saying here, but I can't help but think back to Boudreau installing the trap in December 2015, thereby changing this team from a last place disappointment to a Jennings trophy winner in less than 3.5 months. BB made that system change basically over a holiday weekend, and he was able to pull it off in such a short span of time because the players bought in and did the work necessary to make the change. A good coach will get his players to buy in and do the work. A bad coach won't.

I agree with the posters who are pointing out the positioning issues and effort/passion issues. It's not that these players can't play faster, its just that the players aren't buying in to what RC is trying to make them do. his "This speed" change thing isn't about skating faster (which we can't do). It's about moving the puck faster (which we can, but aren't). I don't know if RC has lost the dressing room or not, but they certainly look like a clown show on the ice. Everyone keeps banging on the defenders, but I think the forwards are where the problems lie the most. Our forwards look completely lost in all three zones, to the point where our defenders don't even now if they have puck support for breakout passes or whether they have help from back-checkers. Nobody trusts anyone out there on the ice right now to be in the right spot or to make the right play, and I don't know how you can look anywhere but right at the entire coaching staff for blame.

100 % correct - this reminds me of playing FLAG FOOTBALL - we are playing FLAG HOCKEY - no hitting - no passing - an occasional shot ......

2 hours ago, nieder said:

I came here to ask about Bylsma. Is there precedent for asking permission to talk to a coach mid-season? Because Bylsma is an assistant in Detroit. Also Lindy Ruff is an assistant for the Rangers. Both guys have a ton of head coach experience. Both guys have won the Jack Adams.

Honestly I'm so sick of Carlyle that a turd on a stick would probably be a better coach.

++1 for Lindy Ruff

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Yeah, so he'd probably want to get back into a head spot.

If Blashill has another bad season Bylsma might be the next Red Wings coach.

As risky as it could be going with an unknown, part of me wants to see some new blood get a shot. Like I'd be more than alright with Eakins or any of the other coaches mentioned here if it comes to that, but I also feel like going with someone who hasn't been a fixture behind an NHL bench would be a welcome breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, guys like Ruff and Vigenault would a drastic step above Carlyle, but they're all cut from a similar cloth. They're coaches of the old guard who haven't quite adapted to the modern game before flaming out drastically during their latest coaching gigs. They could likely get this team into the playoffs immediately given how the roster is constructed. I just don't know how beneficial a coach like that would be in the long run though. They have to keep in mind how this team will have to begin transitioning past this era of Ducks hockey relatively soon. I don't really have any actual suggestions here outside of simply hoping management has been exploring every possible option (ex: NCAA, poaching assistants, juniors, etc.) in preparation for Carlyle's dismissal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nieder said:

I came here to ask about Bylsma. Is there precedent for asking permission to talk to a coach mid-season? Because Bylsma is an assistant in Detroit. Also Lindy Ruff is an assistant for the Rangers. Both guys have a ton of head coach experience. Both guys have won the Jack Adams.

Honestly I'm so sick of Carlyle that a turd on a stick would probably be a better coach.

Ruff won in 06 and Vingeault in 07. The same years we were cool with Carlyle. Both not far removed from head coaching spots. They're also relics too.

If the goal is anyone but RC then they would be acceptable as an interim spot for a season. Till they could find something more long term (better).

Edited by poum

5 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

As risky as it could be going with an unknown, part of me wants to see some new blood get a shot. Like I'd be more than alright with Eakins or any of the other coaches mentioned here if it comes to that, but I also feel like going with someone who hasn't been a fixture behind an NHL bench would be a welcome breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, guys like Ruff and Vigenault would a drastic step above Carlyle, but they're all cut from a similar cloth. They're coaches of the old guard who haven't quite adapted to the modern game before flaming out drastically during their latest coaching gigs. They could likely get this team into the playoffs immediately given how the roster is constructed. I just don't know how beneficial a coach like that would be in the long run though. They have to keep in mind how this team will have to begin transitioning past this era of Ducks hockey relatively soon. I don't really have any actual suggestions here outside of simply hoping management has been exploring every possible option (ex: NCAA, poaching assistants, juniors, etc.) in preparation for Carlyle's dismissal. 

Ruff, yes. He coaches goon hockey. But Vigneault? He’s been coaching fast hockey successfully in the East since long before it became cool in the Pacific Division. A SC Final run in 2014 (including game 7 wins over their arch rivals Pens and Flyers) and an ECF run in 2015 (game 7 win over the Caps, also knocked out Pens again) says more to me about his coaching than a one year flame out with a poorly constructed Rangers team that has now decided to go full rebuild. And how many of these “relic” coaches who have had flame-out seasons would we now trade our left arm for to replace RC? Trotz, Gallant, Quenneville, Laviolette, Babcock, even Paul Maurice. All “relics” who have flamed-out at some point.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ruff, yes. He coaches goon hockey. But Vigneault? He’s been coaching fast hockey successfully in the East since long before it became cool in the Pacific Division. A SC Final run in 2014 (including game 7 wins over their arch rivals Pens and Flyers) and an ECF run in 2015 (game 7 win over the Caps, also knocked out Pens again) says more to me about his coaching than a one year flame out with a poorly constructed Rangers team that has now decided to go full rebuild. And how many of these “relic” coaches who have had flame-out seasons would we now trade our left arm for to replace RC? Trotz, Gallant, Quenneville, Laviolette, Babcock, even Paul Maurice. All “relics” who have flamed-out at some point.

Haha, you may have misquoted the wrong person. Just a guess with the multiple relic quotes. Or you were going off on the both us.

You started by knocking Ruff, but I kinda like him. I'd take it. The backup is the only player with experience with him.

Edited by poum

30 minutes ago, poum said:

Haha, you may have misquoted the wrong person. Just a guess with the multiple relic quotes. Or you were going off on the both us.

You started by knocking Ruff, but I kinda like him. I'd take it. The backup is the only player with experience with him.

I figured “coaches from the old guard who haven’t adapted to the modern game” and “relic” meant basically the same thing. One was easier to type than the other. :P

38 minutes ago, mulcher said:

Babcock walked into a team that was stocked with good players even Randy could make that team look good.

Imagine IF Babs was the HC and RC the Assistant?. Good Combo for coaching staff Eh. IF our Ducks falter in next few games then It would not surprise me if Demans for RC to be removed be made louder.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 10/27/2018 at 0:21 AM, PetrSykora said:

As risky as it could be going with an unknown, part of me wants to see some new blood get a shot.

Worked for us the first time.  A then unproven AHL coach Carlyle did all right in his first stint.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:43 AM, SteveinTamarindo said:

Babcock.  A dream come true, but never happen here.

Disagree.  Capable coach, but his sucess for the most part has come when surrounded with the quality players needed to get the job done.  Bailed from Detroit as the ship was sinking. That wasn’t a coincidence.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:43 AM, SteveinTamarindo said:

Babcock.  A dream come true, but never happen here.

No on Babcock but I would take a chance on their AHL coach (Sheldon Keefe). He won the Calder Cup last year, and is stuck behind Babcock who has another 5 years (I believe) on his contract. He's got nothing left to prove in the AHL. At 38 years of age, I think he could be a perfect fit for the kids coming in and the emphasis on "fast" hockey. 

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

No on Babcock but I would take a chance on their AHL coach (Sheldon Keefe). He won the Calder Cup last year, and is stuck behind Babcock who has another 5 years (I believe) on his contract. He's got nothing left to prove in the AHL. At 38 years of age, I think he could be a perfect fit for the kids coming in and the emphasis on "fast" hockey. 

Would need Toronto's permission to interview him. If it were the offseason, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem, but given that the AHL and NHL seasons have started, I'm not so sure.

51 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Would need Toronto's permission to interview him. If it were the offseason, I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem, but given that the AHL and NHL seasons have started, I'm not so sure.

I totally agree. Just spit balling my dream scenario.

7 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Worked for us the first time.  A then unproven AHL coach Carlyle did all right in his first stint.

As did Babcock before....so Ducks looking at a AHL Coach would not hurt.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

7 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

Yeah, I think if we fire Carlyle, it will be an interim gig for someone.  We're not going to get permission to interview anyone currently employed until the offseason.  But I like the idea of a young guy with some pedigree.

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Yeah, I think if we fire Carlyle, it will be an interim gig for someone.  We're not going to get permission to interview anyone currently employed until the offseason.  But I like the idea of a young guy with some pedigree.

I believe we already have one of those in San Diego.

• Like 1

Has Scott Niedermayer ever said whether he was interested in becoming a head coach someday?  I see that his youngest turns 18 in April, so perhaps that was keeping him from wanting to go out on the road constantly.  I've always felt that he would be someone who would not only have the intellect necessary to lead behind the bench, but also would have the respect of his players.

Did not see the game but is Carlyle's job safer after tonight? The stats sheet makes me think otherwise. Maybe he's lucky the flyers and rangers are coming to town. We should beat them to make this homestand count.

7 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Has Scott Niedermayer ever said whether he was interested in becoming a head coach someday?  I see that his youngest turns 18 in April, so perhaps that was keeping him from wanting to go out on the road constantly.  I've always felt that he would be someone who would not only have the intellect necessary to lead behind the bench, but also would have the respect of his players.

Yes - No - he has said ( in the past ) that he was not interested in coaching. I don't think he has done a lot with the team over the last few years and seems to be enjoying his current life in So Cal. IMHO

11 hours ago, BlazingEtem said:

I believe we already have one of those in San Diego.

He's an option, but I haven't been overly impressed with his efforts as the Gulls head coach.  I'm not opposed to giving Eakins the rest of the season to see how it goes.  It can't be worse than Carlyle, and maybe he'll impress.  If he doesn't, we wipe the slate clean in the offseason.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

He's an option, but I haven't been overly impressed with his efforts as the Gulls head coach.  I'm not opposed to giving Eakins the rest of the season to see how it goes.  It can't be worse than Carlyle, and maybe he'll impress.  If he doesn't, we wipe the slate clean in the offseason.

I'd SECOND  that. We might be really surprised.

I wasn't able to watch this game as I was out and about...how was the "stick checking" (aka lack of physical contact) from the D? I see the shots are still an issue...but, that's also the Sharks. They shoot A LOT. Us getting 30 is a nice change though...baby steps in the right direction.

• Like 1