The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

7 minutes ago, niltes said:

i'm not seeing the ducks playing as a unit right now either offensively or defensively.

hopefully this is only because of injuries,  but I'm concerned that it isn't.

We had injuries last year and they still played as a unit as best they could with the talent they had.  All but the Islanders game has been a total crap show the entire year.

• Like 1

Getting a now coach won't magically solve all our problems but this is getting ridiculous.

Sure we're dealing with injuries but we're set in goal (thank God), our D is healthy (knock on wood) and while they may or may not be a full 100%, Rakell, Henrique, Cogliano, Getzlaf, Kesler & Silfverberg are all playing. And we can't blame it all on the rookies who are doing their best.

If BM sticks with RC he can accompany him on his way out for all I care when (or if) it finally happens.

I check ALL  of the appropriate web sites to see WHEN  ( not IF ) RC has been shown the door - 3-4 times a DAY  - NO NEWS !!! I really believe that RC is doing his best - and THAT is the problem - his best is not good enough. He has had a training camp, pre-season and 13 games to show some improvement and we still play like an AHL team. He needs to GO - and GO SOON. IMHO

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

We had injuries last year and they still played as a unit as best they could with the talent they had.  All but the Islanders game has been a total crap show the entire year.

Well, I think you bring up a really good point. That wasn't a different coach.

Like some people have saying...it's not like our D has forgotten how to play over night. Something has changed...it's a lot combined...but I feel something is majorly different that is making everyone's (including staff/management) short comings seem magnified and all of their strengths seem non-existent.

Alot of things need to address and talk about..Ducks losing last night is another unacceptable. Shamefully it looks like our Ducks have 1.No Clue what to do or 2. There id division within Ranks. I am very concern let alot impress with the recent losing Skid. I hate Losing and I HATE WHEN DUCKS LOSE in this kind of fashion. IF we are to bounce back it must begin in Month of November.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

All of a sudden, scoring has dried up and become a problem. We are becoming a 1 line team with the Getzlaf line, and it's not even that good compared to our past 1st lines. I'll give Silfverberg a pass because I know he is playing with a broken finger, but everyone else not named Getzlaf, Rakell, and Aberg are starting to get cold. A big part of that problem is that they are spending most of their shifts without the puck and hemmed in the defensive zone.

I really don't think GMBM would make a move on Carlyle yet. The Ducks are still just 3 points out of the #1 spot in the Division and quite frankly, the Pacific Division teams in general are all pretty weak. I would say Carlyle has his chance to get things turned around in November.

17 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I really don't think GMBM would make a move on Carlyle yet. The Ducks are still just 3 points out of the #1 spot in the Division and quite frankly, the Pacific Division teams in general are all pretty weak. I would say Carlyle has his chance to get things turned around in November.

The problem then is the Pacific will only send 3 teams to the playoffs. Have to think San Jose will be one. And I'm beginning to think Arizona might be another (unless their goaltending falls off a cliff. Their D has allowed the least # of goals in the league). At this point in time, I don't see us beating any team in the Central in a 7 game series. 

Kase not back is disconcerting. He was symptom free and skated. Now he's been off the ice and we've heard nothing (Despres keeps creeping into my thoughts). Perry won't be back until May. Eaves is a big ???  If we're going to turn anything around, then the next 11 games are critical (9H 2A). Based on our play the last 7 games, I'm not optimistic at all (and I usually see the glass as half full). 

I want Carlyle gone. Period.

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

While I think you're right that's what WILL happen, I really hope something happens sooner.  I think it's too late at that point.  If the team hasn't turned it around, a coaching change isn't going to change the trajectory of the season.  What you're suggesting is the exact thing that happened in 2011 - Carlyle got until the end of November, couldn't right the ship, and Boudreau was brought in.  Despite his best efforts, the team was too far gone and finished out of the playoffs.  

Some interesting notes about that team - they started 4 - 1 despite getting outshot in most games.  This team started 5-1-1 despite getting outshot in most games.  That team then came back to earth by losing 9 of its next 10, including 6 in a row.  This team has now lost 6 in a row.  Now, that team didn't have quite the number of injuries to key players, but it's not like this team hasn't had underperformance from its veterans as well.

This is not a rebuilding team.  Their goal is to make the playoffs.  If they want to do that, they need to get things turned around now.  I don't think Murray will pull the trigger because I think his job is tied to Carlyle's.  And I don't know if the Samuelis want to make a GM change midseason.  So we are probably stuck.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

While I think you're right that's what WILL happen, I really hope something happens sooner.  I think it's too late at that point.  If the team hasn't turned it around, a coaching change isn't going to change the trajectory of the season.  What you're suggesting is the exact thing that happened in 2011 - Carlyle got until the end of November, couldn't right the ship, and Boudreau was brought in.  Despite his best efforts, the team was too far gone and finished out of the playoffs.  

Some interesting notes about that team - they started 4 - 1 despite getting outshot in most games.  This team started 5-1-1 despite getting outshot in most games.  That team then came back to earth by losing 9 of its next 10, including 6 in a row.  This team has now lost 6 in a row.  Now, that team didn't have quite the number of injuries to key players, but it's not like this team hasn't had underperformance from its veterans as well.

This is not a rebuilding team.  Their goal is to make the playoffs.  If they want to do that, they need to get things turned around now.  I don't think Murray will pull the trigger because I think his job is tied to Carlyle's.  And I don't know if the Samuelis want to make a GM change midseason.  So we are probably stuck.

This. This is supposed to be a playoff team and they haven't looked like a playoff team for more than 1 period this year. They look like a lottery team. I don't know how long the GM can just sit on his hands - he might get fired for inaction at some point. The team is on fire and he refuses to use the hose.

18 minutes ago, nieder said:

This. This is supposed to be a playoff team and they haven't looked like a playoff team for more than 1 period this year. They look like a lottery team. I don't know how long the GM can just sit on his hands - he might get fired for inaction at some point. The team is on fire and he refuses to use the hose.

Not a defense of Murray especially with some of his more recent decisions, but as long as he fires Carlyle before things go off the rails then his job is likely safe. It’s heading full steam in that direction but it’s not quite there yet. 

9 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Not a defense of Murray especially with some of his more recent decisions, but as long as he fires Carlyle before things go off the rails then his job is likely safe. It’s heading full steam in that direction but it’s not quite there yet. 

I don't know - this would be his third head coaching hire after his second one (a re-hire of an old buddy) didn't go very well.  If Murray goes to ownership and asks them to allow him to terminate Carlyle's contract, how does the question of his own competence not come up?  Hey Bob, YOU hired him...AGAIN...so why isn't his failure on YOUR doorstep?

Murray has done a good job, all things considered, putting together a hockey team.  And he made a good hire in Boudreau.  But this stint hasn't gone all that well, and the team seems like it needs new life in order to maintain their recent level of success.  Given Murray's unimaginative hire the last time around, I wouldn't trust him with this hire.  I just don't see Murray being fired midseason.  And if he's not getting fired, any coaching hire should be an interim guy, because firing Murray in the offseason means a new GM who will want to make his own head coaching hire.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

To be a bit more accurate (IMO) they play like and are in fact the team that just got swept this past PO. They are a bubble team but could very well be on the outs this year. Not quite rebuilding and not a cup contender and arguably not even a PO team. Some teams can be regarded as a Dark Horse but I think a more apt way to describe them right now is a Shadow or Pitch-Black Horse

5 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

To be a bit more accurate (IMO) they play like and are in fact the team that just got swept this past PO. They are a bubble team but could very well be on the outs this year. Not quite rebuilding and not a cup contender and arguably not even a PO team. Some teams can be regarded as a Dark Horse but I think a more apt way to describe them right now is a Shadow or Pitch-Black Horse

I think the team and management expects them to be a playoff team. If that is the expectation then I'm not sure how long they can afford to ride this out.

49 minutes ago, nieder said:

I think the team and management expects them to be a playoff team. If that is the expectation then I'm not sure how long they can afford to ride this out.

Yep, this.  The front office didn't make moves to indicate that they expect not to make the playoffs.  And the Pacific Division, outside of San Jose, is up for grabs.  They've got to take action that indicates they want to compete.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know - this would be his third head coaching hire after his second one (a re-hire of an old buddy) didn't go very well.  If Murray goes to ownership and asks them to allow him to terminate Carlyle's contract, how does the question of his own competence not come up?  Hey Bob, YOU hired him...AGAIN...so why isn't his failure on YOUR doorstep?

Murray has done a good job, all things considered, putting together a hockey team.  And he made a good hire in Boudreau.  But this stint hasn't gone all that well, and the team seems like it needs new life in order to maintain their recent level of success.  Given Murray's unimaginative hire the last time around, I wouldn't trust him with this hire.  I just don't see Murray being fired midseason.  And if he's not getting fired, any coaching hire should be an interim guy, because firing Murray in the offseason means a new GM who will want to make his own head coaching hire.

Oh, the Carlyle failure is most definitely on Murray’s doorstep but it hasn’t cost the team a missed postseason (yet). I just think that he had to have sold ownership on his plan and what the tipping point would be to make a change behind the bench. I can’t see him (or any GM) jeopardizing his own job for the sake of Carlyle. They let Murray make the picks at the draft this year so it seems like ownership sees him sticking around until at least the end of next season. I’m guessing Carlyle gets canned, possibly a trade to shake things up with Eakins being the interim coach for the rest of the season.

With this team right now, it’s a gong show and anyone’s guess.

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Murray was able to bring Boudreau in because Boudreau had just been fired by the Caps. If that firing had never happened, I doubt Murray would have pulled the trigger on Carlyle. So in short, I hope Murray isn't waiting for another head coach to get fired so he can fire Carlyle again. Murray is just as much a part of this gong show as everyone else involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

Murray was able to bring Boudreau in because Boudreau had just been fired by the Caps. If that firing had never happened, I doubt Murray would have pulled the trigger on Carlyle. So in short, I hope Murray isn't waiting for another head coach to get fired so he can fire Carlyle again. Murray is just as much a part of this gong show as everyone else involved.

What would be even worse is if Murray is waiting for Mike Yeo to be fired and then hire him.  Ugh.  No thanks.

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

What would be even worse is if Murray is waiting for Mike Yeo to be fired and then hire him.  Ugh.  No thanks.

My worry is Stevens. He's a first firing candidate as well.

7 minutes ago, poum said:

My worry is Stevens. He's a first firing candidate as well.

Woof, I don't think Murray would be tempted by that.  The Kings are one of two or three teams to look somehow worse than the Ducks.

I don't think Stevens gets canned this early with Quick injured and Yeo probably gets the Blues turned around in the next few games. Unless Murray decides to venture out into the Canadian wilderness to dig up the bones of Darryl Sutter, I think Anaheim is stuck with RC for the time being.

You guys are scaring yourselves for no reason. Yeo will not be getting a head coaching gig for awhile after his tenure with the Blues ends, and Stevens will probably never get another shot at coaching again should his tenure with the Kings end sooner rather than later.

On 10/31/2018 at 3:26 PM, dukitup said:

The problem then is the Pacific will only send 3 teams to the playoffs. Have to think San Jose will be one. And I'm beginning to think Arizona might be another (unless their goaltending falls off a cliff. Their D has allowed the least # of goals in the league). At this point in time, I don't see us beating any team in the Central in a 7 game series. 

Kase not back is disconcerting. He was symptom free and skated. Now he's been off the ice and we've heard nothing (Despres keeps creeping into my thoughts). Perry won't be back until May. Eaves is a big ???  If we're going to turn anything around, then the next 11 games are critical (9H 2A). Based on our play the last 7 games, I'm not optimistic at all (and I usually see the glass as half full). 

I want Carlyle gone. Period.

We all do....and RC knows his days are going to be numbered soon.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

22 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

We all do....and RC knows his days are going to be numbered soon.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Mooseduck having an opinion on a member of the team?  Moose I am impressed!

Honestly though, the biggest issue that I can see with this team is on the way they are playing and the system that they are trying to execute.  There is just no way that this team is going to get it done with the system that currently in place.  Who does that fall under?  Coaching.  No amount of team meetings and airing out the problems is going to help this team keep up with the rest of the league especially if the system they are trying to execute does not cater to the roster composition.

Edited by Rooch20

45 minutes ago, Rooch20 said:

Mooseduck having an opinion on a member of the team?  Moose I am impressed!

Honestly though, the biggest issue that I can see with this team is on the way they are playing and the system that they are trying to execute.  There is just no way that this team is going to get it done with the system that currently in place.  Who does that fall under?  Coaching.  No amount of team meetings and airing out the problems is going to help this team keep up with the rest of the league especially if the system they are trying to execute does not cater to the roster composition.

GMBM wanted the current system with a coach and players to execute it. So I would say it's Bob's failure as a GM to not recognize that what he wanted was not going to work with what he had. 

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

GMBM wanted the current system with a coach and players to execute it. So I would say it's Bob's failure as a GM to not recognize that what he wanted was not going to work with what he had. 

Makes sense and he needs to be held accountable for that.  The big question is at what point do the Samuelis step in and make that decision?

3 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

Makes sense and he needs to be held accountable for that.  The big question is at what point do the Samuelis step in and make that decision?

I suspect that the Samuel's' are very astute business people and HAVE to have a sense of what they are dealing with. There will be a " tipping " point and they will take the next indicated  step. I actually feel bad for RC - he is trying the best he can  - BUT - he doesn't have the team structure that he needs. He did bring us our very FIRST Stanley Cup and I will think of him kindly for that wonderful, magical season !!!!! IMHO

20 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

It has to be getting closer and closer. Personally, I don’t think that Carlyle survives November at all. The Ducks are on a stretch of their schedule where they are playing mostly at home, are getting handled and missing out on crucial points. They are worse on the road so they might make a move to try and salvage points on this home stand. If nothing else, the firing will give a sense of relief and some hope to fan base to tune back in. I mean the Ducks are playing historically bad hockey and are closer to a rebuild/roster overhaul than they are to a Cup but there is enough talent on this team to where they shouldn’t playing like they are a lottery pick. They should be contending for a playoff spot.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It has to be getting closer and closer. Personally, I don’t think that Carlyle survives November at all. The Ducks are on a stretch of their schedule where they are playing mostly at home, are getting handled and missing out on crucial points. They are worse on the road so they might make a move to try and salvage points on this home stand. If nothing else, the firing will give a sense of relief and some hope to fan base to tune back in. I mean the Ducks are playing historically bad hockey and are closer to a rebuild/roster overhaul than they are to a Cup but there is enough talent on this team to where they shouldn’t playing like they are a lottery pick. They should be contending for a playoff spot.

I don't know. Team is still missing their #3 scorer from last year (Perry). Their #4 scorer (Silf.) is playing with a broken fingertip. Team is still missing their #5 scorer from last year (Kase). No Ritchie, no Manson, no (fill in the blank). As much as I would like Carlyle gone, the injury factor is still a consideration. Can't expect continuity of play if the roster is juggled from game to game.  Right now the only constant is our goalies.

Alcohol sales at the Honda Center must be booming.

• Like 2