The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

2 hours ago, dukitup said:

I don't know. Team is still missing their #3 scorer from last year (Perry). Their #4 scorer (Silf.) is playing with a broken fingertip. Team is still missing their #5 scorer from last year (Kase). No Ritchie, no Manson, no (fill in the blank). As much as I would like Carlyle gone, the injury factor is still a consideration. Can't expect continuity of play if the roster is juggled from game to game.  Right now the only constant is our goalies.

Alcohol sales at the Honda Center must be booming.

I'm doing my part to contribute those sales.

Injuries aren't helping the Ducks' but if goal scoring was their biggest issue then that would be understandable. Even with a healthy lineup, the Ducks still lack enough high-end offensive talent so missing Perry, Kase, and Ritchie is just going to exacerbate that problem. They are also just too old, slow and expensive up front. When the Ducks had a full lineup last season they were still pretty bad on the defensive side of the puck and were ultimately embarrassed by a mid-tier Sharks team in the playoffs. They somehow got worse since then. That is the biggest concern to me at this point. They need to stop the bleeding on the defensive side first and then go from there. I have no faith in that happening under Carlyle regardless of whether the roster is healthy or not.

Injury Bug is really messing with us...Morale low and our Ducks are missing key players. Would be needed for the Ducks to pull a Trade?. Cause right who knows where our Ducks will Finish.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dukitup said:

I don't know. Team is still missing their #3 scorer from last year (Perry). Their #4 scorer (Silf.) is playing with a broken fingertip. Team is still missing their #5 scorer from last year (Kase). No Ritchie, no Manson, no (fill in the blank). As much as I would like Carlyle gone, the injury factor is still a consideration. Can't expect continuity of play if the roster is juggled from game to game.  Right now the only constant is our goalies.

Other teams have their own injuries to sort out (Vancouver for example), the season starts in October and not January.  You can't wait for players like Perry to be healthy and then start the season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Injury Bug is really messing with us...Morale low and our Ducks are missing key players. Would be needed for the Ducks to pull a Trade?. Cause right who knows where our Ducks will Finish.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Go for a trade, chase after signing Nylander,or change the coach.Murray has different possibilities,usually struggling teams try to shake up a team with a trade before firing a coach.A new coach would make changes but he would still have to fire a rocket up a couple of these players or get rid.

11 hours ago, Rooch20 said:

Other teams have their own injuries to sort out (Vancouver for example), the season starts in October and not January.  You can't wait for players like Perry to be healthy and then start the season.

I don't think Vancouver has two significant point producers injured that have yet to play one regular season game. Maybe I'm wrong. All I'm saying is take away your #3 and #5 scorers from a year ago starting day one of the season and you're going to struggle. Then throw in the myriad of other injuries this year (Anaheim leads the league in man games lost) and I think that's a contributing factor to the teams slow start. I said "A" factor, not "the" factor.

• Like 1

The Kings just fired Stevens and their assistant coach after a 4-1 win yesterday against Columbus. If the Ducks lose or even get noticeably outplayed by Columbus tonight, Carlyle better be gone before my alarm clock goes off tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

On 11/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, dukitup said:

My fear is that the injuries this season, just like last season, turn into a viable excuse to keep RC around. 

On one hand, you don't want to poison the league by firing one coach who was pretty successful but couldn't coach the post season, then fire his replacement for managing a team into the post season after sitting $20M+ in injured players, average over the season (it's probably more than that, actually, but I'm not gonna go back and check), and then having to deal with another season of $20M+ injuries, average over the first 2 months of play.  

On the other hand, maybe you want to telegraph to the league that you're looking for new blood and you're willing to shop around.  Eakins probably deserves a chance, so maybe you can't go wrong as long as you bring Eakins up and give him a chance.

I think at this point, we're advertising for a rebuild coach.  Someone who will be willing to accept our assurances that we'll stick with them through what's going to a some hard years without the twins around, building up prospects, purchasing younger veterans and fitting them in with the team, losing some top d-men to spread the pain a little... some coaches will relish that challenge, and others will avoid it like the plague.  We don't do ourselves any favors by looking fickle and unreasonable from the outside.

All that said, I'm still for moving on from RC.  It's perhaps unfair, and maybe I am being the exact kind of fickle that'll be harmful for the future... but he's starting to make pretty consistent coaching mistakes (again, in my view) that other coaches don't, even accounting for the injuries and the rookies and etc. etc.  

It's close enough that I can't hate on BM either way this turns out.  BM has won me over for (1) how he managed us past the expansion draft (what have you done for me lately), and (2) what I've seen of him during games at home (over many seasons - I sometimes watch him watching the game - he'd stand in the 200s sometimes, or I'd catch him in the elevator) - he's as concerned and frustrated as the worst of us.  I think the only thing you could fault him on is not pulling the trigger on a bigger name player before this point.  The counterpoint to that is that it was reasonable to hope that RR and JS (and maybe others) would become a franchise player, more than they currently are.  He's probably hung on to NR too long.  The choices with the veterans were a bit out of his hands, but the thing you get with a veteran (hopefully) is consistent play, regardless of what level of play it is.  It can be a calming effect, a source of power, a trigger for hope.  

I mean, for all Bieksa's faults, I think he kept Kesler happy, and his superman punches were, at times, game changers.  He kept the goons off.  He allowed some of the youngers to shine.  The $$ was pretty high, but he did his job.  You can kind of see how we're hurting without his presence (though, as everyone else mentions, there's no excuse at this point - if Fowler and Manson haven't figured out how to be the best of Bieksa at this point, then they've fallen way behind where they should be at this stage of their careers).

Can you believe I'm almost disappointed to see our Ducks got away with a win because that probably means RC stays on longer. I feel so dirty :P

Not to mention the injury to Getzlaf which is another welcome excuse. I really don't get these injuries. Can you believe the bad luck we have in that department? Is it bad luck even? Incredible.

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Can you believe I'm almost disappointed to see our Ducks got away with a win because that probably means RC stays on longer. I feel so dirty :P

Not to mention the injury to Getzlaf which is another welcome excuse. I really don't get these injuries. Can you believe the bad luck we have in that department? Is it bad luck even? Incredible.

Injury Bug is not too Kind to our Ducks...I am very Happy with the Win..But one has to know RC is on the Hot seat right now.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

So, should this topic be renamed to...Trouble on the horizon for RG? (Ryan Getzlaf)

Obviously not. That's just a joke. But the point I'm bringing up is we just seem to be a better team without Getzalf in the line up...which doesn't "logically" make sense. But...I dunno. I haven't seen the past few games in depth, so what do you guys think? Is Getzlaf being out of the line up a significant difference in the positive direction? Is it just relying too heavily on him when he plays? That's more of a coach thing obviously.

I think Manson being out is still a net negative.

29 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

So, should this topic be renamed to...Trouble on the horizon for RG? (Ryan Getzlaf)

Obviously not. That's just a joke. But the point I'm bringing up is we just seem to be a better team without Getzalf in the line up...which doesn't "logically" make sense. But...I dunno. I haven't seen the past few games in depth, so what do you guys think? Is Getzlaf being out of the line up a significant difference in the positive direction? Is it just relying too heavily on him when he plays? That's more of a coach thing obviously.

I think Manson being out is still a net negative.

I think they are more focused when he is out because he is so good, but that's on them, not Getzy.

If they played that focused WHILE he was also there, that would be outstanding.  

I would say coach does overuse him when he is healthy, so that could be a conscious adjustment to be made.

15 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

I think they are more focused when he is out because he is so good, but that's on them, not Getzy.

If they played that focused WHILE he was also there, that would be outstanding.  

I would say coach does overuse him when he is healthy, so that could be a conscious adjustment to be made.

Completely agree it's not on Getzy. But that's interesting that they aren't focused. I hadn't thought about that being a thing. Sort of like they go "oh, well Getz is here...I don't need to be too concerned any more." I could definitely see that!

Getzlaf is still an elite talent. With that said however I think that RC still over uses him and that may be part of the issue that we have with RC to begin with; He relies on him too much. The other part could be that other teams usually target Getzlaf so this coupled with being over used makes it a bit easier for other teams to then apply their focus? Or that RC misuses him in situations and does not consider factors such as Getz slower skate speed or which leads to mismatches? 

Esstentially all of these are coaching issues

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Completely agree it's not on Getzy. But that's interesting that they aren't focused. I hadn't thought about that being a thing. Sort of like they go "oh, well Getz is here...I don't need to be too concerned any more." I could definitely see that!

Yes.  That's a perfect way of describing it.  That's precisely what I think is going through their minds.  And then, conversely, "Oh... Getz isn't here.  Guess I have to do something, tonight!"

• Like 1

Fire RC immediately and get Joel Quenneville!! I mean...when are you ever going to get such an experienced, successful coach on the market???

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Fire RC immediately and get Joel Quenneville!! I mean...when are you ever going to get such an experienced, successful coach on the market???

The Kings are already on his phone, don’t you think?

10 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Whoa!  Agreed!

If LA hires him, I swear...

1 minute ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

The Kings are already on his phone, don’t you think?

ohhh they definitely are....

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

Whoa!  Agreed!

If LA hires him, I swear...

that's my fear....

I hope Bob doesn't think his Denny's Grand Slam breakfast is more important than this. Quenneville is one of the few coaches I believe could get Anaheim in the right direction. So Bob, for the love of God, get the flapjack out of your mouth and get on this this. Now!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

BOB!!! MAKE YOUR MOVE!!!!

Crazy!! Bob once again has another opportunity to fire and hire another available great coach. 

Honestly, I think Ana has a much better team than LA does when considering the current and future talent and I think that is not bias speaking at all. Joel Q has a great opportunity here to work with a great squad. I do think think that if Joel goes to LA it was because either we can’t match the salary requirement or Bob just flat out is terrible in convincing him. Or worse yet Bob doesn’t even try cause he wants to let RC ride out the season which if he does he himself should get fired as well because this is a move he should be trying to work on 

• Like 2

Bruce Boudreau was fired by the Capitals on November 28, 2011.  He was hired by the Ducks on November 30, 2011.

Joel Quenneville was fired by the Blackhawks on November 6, 2011...With the Kings lurking, I'm not sure Murray has two days to think it over.  

You know what I'd like to see?  Hang Quenneville in a cage from the Staples Center scoreboard tonight.  At the end of the game, the cage will be lowered to the ice and the winning team will be presented with a key to unlock the door and take Quenneville home with them.  A little extra incentive might be nice.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Bruce Boudreau was fired by the Capitals on November 28, 2011.  He was hired by the Ducks on November 30, 2011.

Joel Quenneville was fired by the Blackhawks on November 6, 2011...With the Kings lurking, I'm not sure Murray has two days to think it over.  

You know what I'd like to see?  Hang Quenneville in a cage from the Staples Center scoreboard tonight.  At the end of the game, the cage will be lowered to the ice and the winning team will be presented with a key to unlock the door and take Quenneville home with them.  A little extra incentive might be nice.

Savagery. Nice! It’s Mad Max meets Game of Thrones. I like it!!

• Like 2

I remember we played the Hawks in the POs and made a note that they played like a cohesive single unit vs our Ducks. I think most of us here were also noting that Joel C out coached BB in that series. 

• Like 1

I feel like the trouble on the horizon for RC has just magnified...as it has with probably most coaches in the NHL... (like Yeo...)

This is like when that very, very attractive boy/girl who's always in a relationship breaks up with their significant other...it's gonna be a small window of opportunity...and you better be single when it happens lol

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 2

I haven't been this stomach-acid excited since PK was laying still on his back on the ice so many years ago.

Pull the Trigger Bob!  Q is a step up!  Don't let a win against the other worst team in the league on Sunday blind you!  

We have a solid, solid chance here.  Arg... but I'm 80% we aren't going to get him, and 60% that we aren't going to try, and 45% the Kings will.

I'm in agony. 

18 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I haven't been this stomach-acid excited since PK was laying still on his back on the ice so many years ago.

Pull the Trigger Bob!  Q is a step up!  Don't let a win against the other worst team in the league on Sunday blind you!  

We have a solid, solid chance here.  Arg... but I'm 80% we aren't going to get him, and 60% that we aren't going to try, and 95% the Kings will.

I'm in agony. 

I fixed that for you. I'm sad to say.

7 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

I fixed that for you. I'm sad to say.

Well...I don't fully know how it works...but the Kings have officially said that Desjardins will be the coach for the remainder of the season...I mean, it's no contract (i think?). But I feel like it basically means the Kings have just as many hoops to jump through as we do if we wanted to hire Joel Q. The Kings don't really have any more advantage than us, is what I'm saying.

• Like 2