The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Trouble on the horizon for RC?

So the biggest problem with signing Quennville is his current contract - the Blackhawks were paying him $6M per season and he's still owed this. I believe if he signs with another team they no longer owe him this money. Meaning if he signs with any team for less than that he's choosing to take a pay cut. Whereas he could just sit around for the next 1.5 years and make money doing nothing, then sign with a new team if he still wants to coach.

He could sit around and wait for Seattle.....

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nieder said:

So the biggest problem with signing Quennville is his current contract - the Blackhawks were paying him $6M per season and he's still owed this. I believe if he signs with another team they no longer owe him this money. Meaning if he signs with any team for less than that he's choosing to take a pay cut. Whereas he could just sit around for the next 1.5 years and make money doing nothing, then sign with a new team if he still wants to coach.

That's a lot of money. If he's expecting that from his next team then I guess that rules out Anaheim. Sounds like Seattle might have their new coach if he sits around for one and a half years.

- in response to Jasoaks

I think they're in a worse position than us, really.  They've days ago publicly committed to an actual NHL coach.  We've hinted at bringing up an AHL coach, and our current coach is as susceptible to firing as any end of term coach - we aren't going to sour any milk by firing RC.

I mean, BM should be burning batteries left and right at this point.

Edited by Fisix

13 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

That's a lot of money. If he's expecting that from his next team then I guess that rules out Anaheim. Sounds like Seattle might have their new coach if he sits around for one and a half years.

He's not going to want Seattle.  I don't know why I think that, but I do.

7 minutes ago, Fisix said:

- in response to Jasoaks

I think they're in a worse position than us, really.  They've days ago publicly committed to an actual NHL coach.  We've hinted at bringing up an AHL coach, and our current coach is as susceptible to firing as any end of term coach - we aren't going to sour any milk by firing RC.

I mean, BM should be burning batteries left and right at this point.

That's what I was thinking, too! But when a guy like him becomes available...I'm sure all bets are off lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fisix said:

He's not going to want Seattle.  I don't know why I think that, but I do.

In Seattle he'd get to participate in building the team - I could see that being a draw... just don't think an expansion franchise would be willing to pay him the big bucks.

I believe Chicago is on the hook for the difference between any contract (this year and next) the Ducks sign Q for.  For example, if the Ducks sign him for 1M this year and next, Chicago is on the hook for 5M. If in error, please correct. A friend of mine sent me an email saying NHL channel indicated Chicago responsible for the difference between any new and old contract.

I’d love Quenneville, but I think it’s a pipe dream. LA has an opening and they can afford to pay a lot for a coach. I see them as the odds on favorite to land him.

44 minutes ago, ZTHER said:

In Seattle he'd get to participate in building the team - I could see that being a draw... just don't think an expansion franchise would be willing to pay him the big bucks.

I can see that as a draw for some coaches... but I don't get that vibe from him, not from the ground up.  The Ducks would offer a similar challenge, but with some solid D and others to work with.  

Just now, Spencer_12 said:

I’d love Quenneville, but I think it’s a pipe dream. LA has an opening and they can afford to pay a lot for a coach. I see them as the odds on favorite to land him.

I'd put my money on St. Louis.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I believe Chicago is on the hook for the difference between any contract (this year and next) the Ducks sign Q for.  For example, if the Ducks sign him for 1M this year and next, Chicago is on the hook for 5M. If in error, please correct. A friend of mine sent me an email saying NHL channel indicated Chicago responsible for the difference between any new and old contract.

That would be the result if he was a player, I believe, but coaches contracts are not necessarily the same.  So, it would depend on his specific contract with the team.  They may have a clause they can invoke to pay him off at a reduced rate for the remainder of his contract (lump sum exit) that may have been triggered when they dropped him, or they may have an obligation to pay him full rate unless he's picked up by another NHL team within a certain period of time, and then either they pay the difference (what you mention) or the obligation to pay ceases (could have been contracted for).  The problem with full rate for the remainder of his contract (including the make up) is that since they're paying, they might require something in return for that payment.  It can be cleaner for both parties to have the lump sum exit or a ceasing obligation upon employ with another NHL team.

2 hours ago, ZTHER said:

I think they would do it in a heartbeat to get the same results as the LVK's - maybe even better and WIN ACUP first time out. VERY INTERESTING !!!!

Didn't somebody in the blackhawks organisation mention The Ducks were their touchest opponent in all their Cup victories?

Maybe Q has sympathy for us :lol: I'd love to have him.

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'd put my money on St. Louis.  

I'm hoping he wants to get out of the mid west and spend the winter months in a warm OC environment. Bob needs to do some groveling to make this happen.

• Like 1

I'm already slipping into the four stages of denial.

First - well, he's just a copy of the old school kind of hockey that RC preaches, so we don't want him anyway, right?

1 hour ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Didn't somebody in the blackhawks organisation mention The Ducks were their touchest opponent in all their Cup victories?

I'm like 75% sure it was said by Quenneville himself in the press conference after they beat Tampa. Not sure if he has sympathy for Anaheim but at the very least it made Kesler's "nobody could take that much punishment" comments seem a little less embarrassing after the fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

It actually may have been Toews that said it. Someone over there did. Maybe it was both lol Either way, man I wish we could be considered that kind of team again...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

It actually may have been Toews that said it. Someone over there did. Maybe it was both lol Either way, man I wish we could be considered that kind of team again...

Yeah I think it was Toews

I would love to get coach Q here to Anaheim.  Not to be a downer but I don't see that happening in this lifetime...

After all, we haven't even had the "we believe in our coaching staff" yet so canning RC and bringing in a 3 time Stanley Cup winning coach makes way way too much sense.

Just think if he did - every sentence wouldn't begin with "again..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

It was one of the best playoff series I’ve ever seen. Apart from how the Ducks choked in games 6 and 7. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hoxxey said:

I would love to get coach Q here to Anaheim.  Not to be a downer but I don't see that happening in this lifetime...

After all, we haven't even had the "we believe in our coaching staff" yet so canning RC and bringing in a 3 time Stanley Cup winning coach makes way way too much sense.

Just think if he did - every sentence wouldn't begin with "again..."

I agree, Q would be great to add, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for a front office role or retiring at this point. After so many years in Chicago, he's not going to rush to the next job, or to a challenging one for that matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

I agree, Q would be great to add, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for a front office role or retiring at this point. After so many years in Chicago, he's not going to rush to the next job, or to a challenging one for that matter.

I’m not sure he’ll retire. He’s actually 2 years younger than Carlyle! Lol. He will probably do some kind of scouting work for the Blackhawks if he doesn’t want to coach right away. 

On our home page: Ryan Kesler describes a surprising lack of intensity in the team's loss to the rival Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center. 
Isn't that a sign RC has lost the room?

Losing 4-1 against the kings who might be in bigger trouble than we are. 1st night of a back-to-back. We might be in even bigger trouble after tonight. Quenneville or no Quenneville, BM has to make a move now. 

Given that this thread is still getting comments, I assume Carlyle is still the coach.  I never hope the Ducks lose, but if a loss tonight gets us a new coach, I wouldn't be THAT sad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

On our home page: Ryan Kesler describes a surprising lack of intensity in the team's loss to the rival Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center. 
Isn't that a sign RC has lost the room?

Losing 4-1 against the kings who might be in bigger trouble than we are. 1st night of a back-to-back. We might be in even bigger trouble after tonight. Quenneville or no Quenneville, BM has to make a move now. 

I don't know what exactly he meant by "intensity".   I saw hitting and some effort being made; I saw guys going to the front of the net and some good shots.  I also saw what is now so common with the Ducks that I wonder just what they see watching the great video they have, and what they try to do about the players (1) acting like they are magnetized and constantly sticking too close to each other so that a 10 foot pass is defended successfully by a single opposition player....just lack of communication or awareness of the ice and the "system" they are supposed to be executing.  I would truly enjoy being able to have video on-demand in order to demonstrate just what I think I'm seeing and to be able to ask questions about WTH are people doing?

Too bad the Ducks don't have the equal of the old John McKay Sunday show where he would rip into his college team and players with film to show the screw-ups. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Given that this thread is still getting comments, I assume Carlyle is still the coach.  I never hope the Ducks lose, but if a loss tonight gets us a new coach, I wouldn't be THAT sad.

Wouldn’t that be something if the Ducks lost tonight and then RC got canned right before Boudreau returns with the Wild on Friday!

26 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Wouldn’t that be something if the Ducks lost tonight and then RC got canned right before Boudreau returns with the Wild on Friday!

Yeah, I thought about that.  I'm down for the symmetry.

• Like 2

Carlyle must be getting itchy bum time after being thumped by the kings who  are now 4 points behind with 2 games in hand.  However Randy should be over the moon he can point to the positive we are only 2nd from the bottom of the league on shots against.

Ottawa now has top spot on shots faced,  1.Craig Anderson faced 508 shots , 2. John Gibson 460,   3. Lundquist  411.

Good luck Randy.A huge game for you tonight!