The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

Cogs status

Has anyone kept a running total of where Cogs’ asterisked iron man run is now?  I’m considering getting a banner for a significant home game some night. 

4 hours ago, Fisix said:

Has anyone kept a running total of where Cogs’ asterisked iron man run is now?  I’m considering getting a banner for a significant home game some night. 

Yes.  I've been tweeting it, but I've fallen behind.  I think he's crossed 900.

I've been sneaky updating Wikipedia,  too, but usually gets changed back in a day or so.  :ph34r:. I think they've finally let my statement stand where I say the suspension was controversial and unsupported by consistent logic.

I'll update my count and report back.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Yes.  I've been tweeting it, but I've fallen behind.  I think he's crossed 900.

I've been sneaky updating Wikipedia,  too, but usually gets changed back in a day or so.  :ph34r:. I think they've finally let my statement stand where I say the suspension was controversial and unsupported by consistent logic.

I'll update my count and report back.

Well done.

I'e updated my tweet.  I jumped the gun a little in estimating.

Last night was 882.  Steve Larner is 3rd all time at 884, so he will tie Wednesday on the road and take 3rd place at home on Friday (a game I'll miss... dang it!)

Someone please have the gonads to draw up a sign congratulating him and asking Samueli what they got him for the achievement.  And then hold the sign up towards Samuelis guarded suite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

I'e updated my tweet.  I jumped the gun a little in estimating.

Last night was 882.  Steve Larner is 3rd all time at 884, so he will tie Wednesday on the road and take 3rd place at home on Friday (a game I'll miss... dang it!)

Someone please have the gonads to draw up a sign congratulating him and asking Samueli what they got him for the achievement.  And then hold the sign up towards Samuelis guarded suite.

So hope that Cogs is able to see that the fans remember and are keeping track. And couldn’t the team itself do something like a vid as well even if it’s unofficial? I don’t see why it would run contrary to NHL policy, we could and should do any video of our players even if it’s running our internal award services which this has now become

• Like 2

The team has already let it be known, at least publicly, where they stand, by not raising bloody hell when Cogs got suspended.

There is nothing wrong with the fans letting him know that we remember.  I think perhaps the Ducks announcers might say something if/when he unofficially breaks the record next season, but they will probably be restrained by the team from making too big a deal about it.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 10:38 PM, Fisix said:

How about we move past this ok...He has already made his mark as the Ducks player who played most games since he came to the team years ago.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 11/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, MooseDuck said:

How about we move past this ok...He has already made his mark as the Ducks player who played most games since he came to the team years ago.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

No, thank you.

• Like 2

Yeah, no way, Moose.  Cogliano needs to be recognized as the rightful iron man.  I'm hoping to go to the game when he breaks the record.  I doubt the Ducks will do anything to recognize him because they're not brave enough to stand up to the league, but that won't stop me from recognizing him.  Thanks for keeping track.

• Like 5

So a neutral arbitrator has overruled Parros and reduced Tom Wilson's 20 game suspension citing some hit by fellow repeat headhunter Patrick Kaleta in 2013 (when the DPoS was under different leadership and the league wasn't as serious about punishing dangerous hits mind you.. see: Stoll on Fowler) as justification. This is the same arbitrator who reduced Watson's suspension earlier this season. Two long suspensions handed out to players actually deserving of their punishment and both have been dubiously overruled. It's too late to dwell on this now but where was this guy when we needed him last season?

20 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

So a neutral arbitrator has overruled Parros and reduced Tom Wilson's 20 game suspension citing some hit by fellow repeat headhunter Patrick Kaleta in 2013 (when the DPoS was under different leadership and the league wasn't as serious about punishing dangerous hits mind you.. see: Stoll on Fowler) as justification. This is the same arbitrator who reduced Watson's suspension earlier this season. Two long suspensions handed out to players actually deserving of their punishment and both have been dubiously overruled. It's too late to dwell on this now but where was this guy when we needed him last season?

Let's sign this arbitrator to $6mil, Pre-Ritchie buffet rights, and season-long discounted parking right away!!!

20 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

The Ducks did not seek out a neutral arbitrator, and essentially accepted the suspension.  They stated that they did not want to anger the powers that be in the league, since we were starting to get calls going our way at the time, and struggling to make the playoffs.  And you know how well they did there.

• Like 2

An arbitrator wouldn’t have gotten to eliminate the suspension. He would see that “”technically”” what Cogs did was against hockey code. Cogs didn’t get a long suspension so it was not a question of excessiveness. At the very most he would have just reduced is by one day but not overturn or eliminate the suspension as I don’t think that is even in his purview. In the end would be in the same situation we are in today with Cogs losing out on his streak. Parros should have never called that one in. For a guy I once liked a lot, I don’t like at all. 

17 hours ago, RobD360 said:

An arbitrator wouldn’t have gotten to eliminate the suspension. He would see that “”technically”” what Cogs did was against hockey code. Cogs didn’t get a long suspension so it was not a question of excessiveness. At the very most he would have just reduced is by one day but not overturn or eliminate the suspension as I don’t think that is even in his purview. In the end would be in the same situation we are in today with Cogs losing out on his streak. Parros should have never called that one in. For a guy I once liked a lot, I don’t like at all. 

I think context is a legitimate in determining excessiveness.  For someone on a streak, any game is potentially excessive.  Comparing it to similar violations that received NO suspension could reduce it to zero, retrospectively, including consideration of previous violations, etc.

2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

I think context is a legitimate in determining excessiveness.  For someone on a streak, any game is potentially excessive.  Comparing it to similar violations that received NO suspension could reduce it to zero, retrospectively, including consideration of previous violations, etc.

I'm still convinced Cogs was suspended specifically to break his streak. He had just signed that extension  and it was all over the hockey press that Cogs would set a new iron man record within the time frame of the extension. Someone didn't like the idea of the record being held by a player from the Ducks. They saw Cog's hit and used it to kill his streak. Otherwise  Cogs' suspension makes no sense.

1) There was no injury on the play.

2) Cogliano had zero history of supplemental discipline.

3) a few days prior Dustin Brown was only handed a fine after a  much more vicious hit. A player who has an established history of supplemental hearings. If I recall there was another player who was treated with kid gloves who was also a repeat offender within days of Cog's incident.

Edited by Shadowduck
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

I'm still convinced Cogs was suspended specifically to break his streak. He had just signed that extension  and it was all over the hockey press that Cogs would set a new iron man record within the time frame of the extension. Someone didn't like the idea of the record being held by a player from the Ducks. They saw Cog's hit and used it to kill his streak. Otherwise  Cogs' suspension makes no sense.

3) a few days prior Dustin Brown was only handed a fine after a  much more vicious hit. A player who has an established history of supplemental hearings. If I recall there was another player who was treated with kid gloves who was also a repeat offender within days of Cog's incident.

I disagree with that. It's in the NHL's best interest the smaller market teams have more success. And they've done everything to show they are all about expanding the game, not about keeping the bigger markets bigger.

I do think his streak came into play, but it worked against him. I believe the DOPS worried about looking biased towards a streak and then added the 2nd game to try and make it look less suspicious. It's fraking bullDehydrated Donkey Dung still don't get me wrong. No one would have fraking complained if Cogs got a fine.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Cynical but not unwarranted.
I certainly think that a guy with ZERO previous history of dirty play, and no serious injury incurred by Kempe, should have put Cogs in consideration for a monetary fine only.

Edited by wataduk
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I disagree with that. It's in the NHL's best interest the smaller market teams have more success. And they've done everything to show they are all about expanding the game, not about keeping the bigger markets bigger.

I do think his streak came into play, but it worked against him. I believe the DOPS worried about looking biased towards a streak and then added the 2nd game to try and make it look less suspicious. It's fraking bullDehydrated Donkey Dung still don't get me wrong. No one would have fraking complained if Cogs got a fine.

You my friend need to put your tin foil hat back on. You’re running contrary to this boards policy. 

Still dislike Parros. He should have recused himself from the hearing and didn’t. That hit was sooo incredibly minimal compared to all these other hits and shenanigans that go around the league. I’m not a conspiracy kind of guy but seriously whoever picked this SUPER weak hit to go to a hearing knowing that Cogs had a clean history and was a  running candidate to break a decades old record is totally bogus. Well I guess Parros passed his loyalty test. 

11 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

You my friend need to put your tin foil hat back on. You’re running contrary to this boards policy. 

My therapist says I need to stop with the conspiracy theories ;) 

11 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Still dislike Parros. He should have recused himself from the hearing and didn’t. That hit was sooo incredibly minimal compared to all these other hits and shenanigans that go around the league. I’m not a conspiracy kind of guy but seriously whoever picked this SUPER weak hit to go to a hearing knowing that Cogs had a clean history and was a  running candidate to break a decades old record is totally bogus. Well I guess Parros passed his loyalty test. 

But yeah, I agree with all of this. He should have. It's so fraking ridiculous. And he didn't even get the nomination for lady byng or masterton :\

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

My therapist says I need to stop with the conspiracy theories ;) 

But yeah, I agree with all of this. He should have. It's so fraking ridiculous. And he didn't even get the nomination for lady byng or masterton :\

At least your therapist is concerned for your well being. Mine actually is the one who sold me a pair of tin foil hats; that’s right, 2! In case I lost one. Thanks Ms. Marconi! 

• Like 1

Season Seat Holder since Day 1.  Should have not renewed after the way Ducks handled the Cogs situation.  Then this year the Ducks go and honor PK.  Decision is probably going to be much easier after the way team is performing this year, and with a likely rebuilding period just over the horizon.  Being an original season seat holder makes it tough, but everything dies.  Plenty of other uses for the $7K/year currently being spent on this club who continually disappoint.

Just got word today that our longtime Season Seat Rep is leaving.  Guess he knows when the time's right.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Season Seat Holder since Day 1.  Should have not renewed after the way Ducks handled the Cogs situation.  Then this year the Ducks go and honor PK.  Decision is probably going to be much easier after the way team is performing this year, and with a likely rebuilding period just over the horizon.  Being an original season seat holder makes it tough, but everything dies.  Plenty of other uses for the $7K/year currently being spent on this club who continually disappoint.

Just got word today that our longtime Season Seat Rep is leaving.  Guess he knows when the time's right.

I split the difference and downgraded from 4 seats to 2.  Hedging my bet.

The nice thing is I can probably afford to forego the really early deposit for 2019 (February) that gets you the playoff payment flexibility, since I likely won't be needing that...

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Mine left after RC came back.  She was great.  New guy is questionable.

18 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Nick was a good rep. Does anyone know how many STHs  each rep is responsible for?

4 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Same as you - since Game ! - with the ICEMAN debacle !! I gave them up this year and seems like a GREAT decision - but very difficult to do. Bought a few tickets for some future games but have no stomach for them now. RC MUST go ASAP and get the rebuild going NOWv !!!!

John Ahlers brought this up tonight, calling it a "Travesty," and something that still bothers Cogs.  Hayward did not comment, other than to say..."you had to bring that up, didn't you?"  John did say to Brian, "and I know you feel the same, after the travesty comment."

The reason John brought it up, was tonight is Cogs' 900th Career Game.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

John Ahlers brought this up tonight, calling it a "Travesty," and something that still bothers Cogs.  Hayward did not comment, other than to say..."you had to bring that up, didn't you?"  John did say to Brian, "and I know you feel the same, after the travesty comment."

The reason John brought it up, was tonight is Cogs' 900th Career Game.

Of course it's travesty and complete DISGRACE no more NO LESS..It's insult to the Ducks and Ducks Fans alike.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

Parros is an idiot.  Parros wouldn’t recognize a hockey play if his life depended on it.  I hope to never see him around Honda Center.

If I did, I might just say, Hey, How about that Cogs ironman streak?  and look for the dumb look on his face that followed.....Parros is persona non grata.  Team ownership & management looked pretty weak on this too.

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 1

I keep bringing this up but there should be a rule that if you are in a position such as Parros spot in reviewing disciplinary issues and handing out suspensions, you shall recuse yourself and assign to someone else if you personally played with a player. There is just way too much room for bias in such jusgement calls good and bad. Who knows if Parros had it out for Cogs? If I were Cogs I would have filed suit claiming personal bias. I can’t believe this is even allowed in the league where former teammates can hand down judgement like this. 

• Like 2

The crappy thing about this is that not only am I angry for Cogliano's sake because this completely sucks for him, but I'm also forced to be angry at the Ducks for not standing up for him.  They should publicly honor him regardless of what the NHL says and I know they won't because management is spineless.  Ugh.  This whole situation is stupid.

• Like 4