Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myuyum

Comtois update.. not good.

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

How are they able to send him back to juniors? He played more than 9 games??

You can send a player back to juniors at any point during the season with two important caveats. 1. Once a player has played a 10th game, he burns a year off of his ELC (although apparently the 40th game is more important from a contract perspective.  2. Once he goes to juniors, he can't be recalled until his junior season is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

You can send a player back to juniors at any point during the season with two important caveats. 1. Once a player has played a 10th game, he burns a year off of his ELC (although apparently the 40th game is more important from a contract perspective.  2. Once he goes to juniors, he can't be recalled until his junior season is over.

Okay I see now! Thanks for clearing that up for me. What a bummer, really liked the kid so far.

On the flip side I’m glad he will be able to work on his game a lot more. He’s going to be a good player one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. This is good.

Where did Lunderstrom go? Is he OK or re-assigned? I feel like i missed a couple of weeks where I couldn't pay close attention and now all these players have disappeared...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I agree. This is good.

Where did Lunderstrom go? Is he OK or re-assigned? I feel like i missed a couple of weeks where I couldn't pay close attention and now all these players have disappeared...

Gulls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nieder said:

I have no problem with this. Let him develop.

The issue that the Ducks have with Comtois (and Lundestrom) by burning the first year of their ELC's is that it seems they would have to now be protected in the expansion draft if it occurs in 2021 instead of 2020. If that's the case, then I don't see the benefit of having kept them up for 10 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 4:45 PM, Myuyum said:

 

As someone who is from the east region. I can promise you this and this promise is to all Ducks Fans. I will keep eye on him and how well he does as I am doing with Morand and Groulx along with Drew. It's important to know and I will do it for you guys..

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 2:16 PM, Jasoaks said:

I agree. This is good.

Where did Lunderstrom go? Is he OK or re-assigned? I feel like i missed a couple of weeks where I couldn't pay close attention and now all these players have disappeared...

I actually really liked Lundeström with the Ducks, he could be a really nice asset post xmas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 5:27 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The issue that the Ducks have with Comtois (and Lundestrom) by burning the first year of their ELC's is that it seems they would have to now be protected in the expansion draft if it occurs in 2021 instead of 2020. If that's the case, then I don't see the benefit of having kept them up for 10 games.

Evidently Comtois is protected (expansion draft) because he only played 10 games. Had he played game 11, he would have been exposed to the 2021 draft. The Athletic had an article about him being sent down, and this was pointed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Evidently Comtois is protected (expansion draft) because he only played 10 games. Had he played game 11, he would have been exposed to the 2021 draft. The Athletic had an article about him being sent down, and this was pointed out.

Well that's a relief...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dukitup said:

Evidently Comtois is protected (expansion draft) because he only played 10 games. Had he played game 11, he would have been exposed to the 2021 draft. The Athletic had an article about him being sent down, and this was pointed out.

So I’m going to ask the dumb question... why then even burn off his first year with 10 games if the plan was not to play him? I get we need to protect him from the draft  but we could have stopped him at 8-9 games and saved his first year and also protected him?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

So I’m going to ask the dumb question... why then even burn off his first year with 10 games if the plan was not to play him? I get we need to protect him from the draft  but we could have stopped him at 8-9 games and saved his first year and also protected him?? 

We can debate about the long-term wisdom of this, but I think it came down to this: Comtois was playing well and the team wants to be a contender.  What kind of message would it send to the team to send a productive player down in favor of a non-prospect AHL third line type?  What kind of message would it send to the player?  Unfortunately for the team, Comtois had reached the 10-game mark before getting hurt, but that's just coincidence.  If Ritchie hadn't signed and Comtois had continued playing at a high level, he'd still be up with the team, expansion draft or not.  

The Ducks and Murray are in a tough spot.  They had a bunch of forward prospects who are solid but not quite ready for top 6 minutes on the NHL team, they have a bunch of high-priced veteran forwards, and they want to make the playoffs.  It's a tricky balance to strike between putting your best team on the ice and making more long-term oriented decisions.

Of course, continuing to employ Randy Carlyle helps neither the short-term nor the long-term, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

We can debate about the long-term wisdom of this, but I think it came down to this: Comtois was playing well and the team wants to be a contender.  What kind of message would it send to the team to send a productive player down in favor of a non-prospect AHL third line type?  What kind of message would it send to the player?  Unfortunately for the team, Comtois had reached the 10-game mark before getting hurt, but that's just coincidence.  If Ritchie hadn't signed and Comtois had continued playing at a high level, he'd still be up with the team, expansion draft or not.  

The Ducks and Murray are in a tough spot.  They had a bunch of forward prospects who are solid but not quite ready for top 6 minutes on the NHL team, they have a bunch of high-priced veteran forwards, and they want to make the playoffs.  It's a tricky balance to strike between putting your best team on the ice and making more long-term oriented decisions.

Of course, continuing to employ Randy Carlyle helps neither the short-term nor the long-term, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Yeah I get that he’s a talented player who is good enough to play in the bigs but I’m wondering why he’s even being sent down then to juniors. He’s not injured anymore more so why not have him on the big club? This is what I’m asking? Makes no sense unless I’m missing something 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, niltes said:

official scout

Official Scout...more like your eye on the east for all of Local Ducks Fans in OC.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Yeah I get that he’s a talented player who is good enough to play in the bigs but I’m wondering why he’s even being sent down then to juniors. He’s not injured anymore more so why not have him on the big club? This is what I’m asking? Makes no sense unless I’m missing something 

To give him top line minutes as opposed to being relegated to the 3rd or 4th line. With the team getting kinda, almost, maybe, nearly but not quite there in terms of "healthy" he gets bumped off.

He plays C/LW. Which also throws him down the chart. Centers being Getzlaf, Kesler, Rico, Gibbons. LWs with Rakell, Eaves (for a brief period), Aberg, Cogs, Ritchie.

I'm assuming that's the reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, poum said:

To give him top line minutes as opposed to being relegated to the 3rd or 4th line. With the team getting kinda, almost, maybe, nearly but not quite there in terms of "healthy" he gets bumped off.

He plays C/LW. Which also throws him down the chart. Centers being Getzlaf, Kesler, Rico, Gibbons. LWs with Rakell, Eaves (for a brief period), Aberg, Cogs, Ritchie.

I'm assuming that's the reasoning.

Could be...But who knows. I feel having him with the Gulls at the beginning would have do him good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Could be...But who knows. I feel having him with the Gulls at the beginning would have do him good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

There's a few rules between Juniors and the AHL. Basically it comes down to the CHL not wanting their players poached by the AHL or ECHL. A player has to have x amount of seasons with his junior team or be a certain age. I forgot the numbers. Since Comtois is with his junior team, he didn't qualify to be a full time AHL player yet.

[edit] Looked it up. To be eligible to go pro from juniors, a player needs to have four seasons in juniors or be 20 years of age. The article I just read was a bit dated and may have changed with the last CBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Yeah I get that he’s a talented player who is good enough to play in the bigs but I’m wondering why he’s even being sent down then to juniors. He’s not injured anymore more so why not have him on the big club? This is what I’m asking? Makes no sense unless I’m missing something 

I think that it makes sense in the longer run. The Ducks aren’t going to contend this year and I’d rather not keep him up then have to potentially protect him the expansion draft. His sample size of NHL games is still very small so it’s still tough to say that he’s ready for full-time NHL duty. He’ll get a ton of playing time in juniors and in the WJC. Let’s just hope that he dominates and pushes for a full-time spot next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobD360 said:

So I’m going to ask the dumb question... why then even burn off his first year with 10 games if the plan was not to play him? I get we need to protect him from the draft  but we could have stopped him at 8-9 games and saved his first year and also protected him?? 

I'm "assuming" the issue is who do you expose to waivers to have him on the team?  Remember when he started the season Ritchie was a holdout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that it makes sense in the longer run. The Ducks aren’t going to contend this year and I’d rather not keep him up then have to potentially protect him the expansion draft. His sample size of NHL games is still very small so it’s still tough to say that he’s ready for full-time NHL duty. He’ll get a ton of playing time in juniors and in the WJC. Let’s just hope that he dominates and pushes for a full-time spot next season. 

This is the exact reason why I was saying we shouldn’t burn off his first year by playing him 10 games earlier in the season. But Bob did that and to make matters worse we have also send him back down anyways. What was the point then?? He should have never played his 10 games to begin with. I’d much rather have had him put in a few games then get sent down which is good for him as you stated above, more minutes and in hopefully a good winning environment. Unless I am missing something here this is not a good move by Bob at all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dukitup said:

I'm "assuming" the issue is who do you expose to waivers to have him on the team?  Remember when he started the season Ritchie was a holdout.

We could have played him under his 10 games, save his 1st year from burning off and also waiver protect him too and instead played another player ((any other player)). 

Look we were not doing good early on. The team was bad, RC was bad. This was starting to look like a throw away season so this was not a good year to play his 10 games and burn off his 1st year with. keeping him down would have beeen better for him but most everyone here disagreed. Now he’s back to juniors anyways. For someone who is conservative, Bob didn’t play this one right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now; Bob might as well call him back up during the season to keep playing games with the Ducks if not then I don’t know what else to think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

This is the exact reason why I was saying we shouldn’t burn off his first year by playing him 10 games earlier in the season. But Bob did that and to make matters worse we have also send him back down anyways. What was the point then?? He should have never played his 10 games to begin with. I’d much rather have had him put in a few games then get sent down which is good for him as you stated above, more minutes and in hopefully a good winning environment. Unless I am missing something here this is not a good move by Bob at all 

Yeah, it’s not great management but if he had played one more game then it could have been much worse since you’re possibly opening him up to Seattle. If he had played 40 games then he hits UFA status sooner also. You’re right in that I’m not sure what you’d learn about him between games 9 and 10 that you didn’t know from the previous 8. The Ducks got Kase and Ritchie back while Comtois was hurt so that also probably made the decision to send him down much easier.

Comtois becoming an RFA a year sooner isn’t the end of the world. He’ll be able to sign an extension after next season which would then kick in right as Perry and Cogs are off the books (I’m assuming and hoping Getzlaf will re-sign). If Comtois makes an impact for the Ducks next year then they might be able to sign him sooner to a more team friendly, long term deal then they otherwise would have. If he pans out like we hope that he does then it we might get better value in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Yeah I get that he’s a talented player who is good enough to play in the bigs but I’m wondering why he’s even being sent down then to juniors. He’s not injured anymore more so why not have him on the big club? This is what I’m asking? Makes no sense unless I’m missing something 

He is talented, but after his hot start, he wasn't playing that well.  And between Rakell, Ritchie, and Cogliano, there's no where for him to get top 9 minutes, much less top 6.  Sending him down was the right move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...