The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myuyum

Comtois update.. not good.

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

We could have played him under his 10 games, save his 1st year from burning off and also waiver protect him too and instead played another player ((any other player)). 

Look we were not doing good early on. The team was bad, RC was bad. This was starting to look like a throw away season so this was not a good year to play his 10 games and burn off his 1st year with. keeping him down would have beeen better for him but most everyone here disagreed. Now he’s back to juniors anyways. For someone who is conservative, Bob didn’t play this one right 

We weren't good early on, but the record was good.  And Comtois started off really hot, then tailed off.  At the time, with no Ritchie, it made sense to keep him in the lineup.  He could get top 9 minutes, he was playing relatively well, and the team wanted its best players on the ice.  Comtois would have played more than 10 games if he hadn't gotten hurt.  But then he got hurt, Ritchie came back and has played well enough, and now there's nowhere for Comtois to get minutes.  The ELC thing is unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

We could have played him under his 10 games, save his 1st year from burning off and also waiver protect him too and instead played another player ((any other player)). 

Look we were not doing good early on. The team was bad, RC was bad. This was starting to look like a throw away season so this was not a good year to play his 10 games and burn off his 1st year with. keeping him down would have beeen better for him but most everyone here disagreed. Now he’s back to juniors anyways. For someone who is conservative, Bob didn’t play this one right 

I agree that Bob didn't play it right with the 10 games thing. But I think we are talking about 2 different things here. Comtois has already played 10 games whether we send him down or not. Right now it's sort of irrelevant to this decision. If they feel at this stage he's better off being sent down then they should do it. I mean, Bob's a huge idiot for letting him play 10 games but sending him down now I still have no problem with.

7 hours ago, nieder said:

I agree that Bob didn't play it right with the 10 games thing. But I think we are talking about 2 different things here. Comtois has already played 10 games whether we send him down or not. Right now it's sort of irrelevant to this decision. If they feel at this stage he's better off being sent down then they should do it. I mean, Bob's a huge idiot for letting him play 10 games but sending him down now I still have no problem with.

Agreed.

Bombay and Gorby make good points too, and like they say it’s not the end of the world. 

The Athletic had an article about the "10 game threshold" and burning a year off of an ELC contract. It's not that big a deal for GM's. What's more important is the 40 game mark. 

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

The Athletic had an article about the "10 game threshold" and burning a year off of an ELC contract. It's not that big a deal for GM's. What's more important is the 40 game mark. 

Ah! Really good info. This cuts to what I was thinking was the issue but it isn’t really. Thanks 

13 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

We weren't good early on, but the record was good.  And Comtois started off really hot, then tailed off.  At the time, with no Ritchie, it made sense to keep him in the lineup.  He could get top 9 minutes, he was playing relatively well, and the team wanted its best players on the ice.  Comtois would have played more than 10 games if he hadn't gotten hurt.  But then he got hurt, Ritchie came back and has played well enough, and now there's nowhere for Comtois to get minutes.  The ELC thing is unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world.

To be fair, we don't know exactly when he sustained his injury and he could have been playing on it for a few games. He also had a point in 7/10 games, so its not like he scored all of his points in only a few games and was scoreless in most of his outings. I also thought he was effective in more ways than just points. IMO, much more effective than Sherwood (2G/3A in 25 games), Gibbons (0G/1A in 19 games) and Street (3G/2A in 18 games). Comtois deserved to stay with the Big Club.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think BM should have kept him. We're currently about as healthy up front as we're going to be for a while (i.e. Perry and Eaves are the only forwards out) and we still have Sherwood and Aberg taking turns in a top-9 role. Personally, I'd rather see Comtois getting Sherwood's ice time. Also, what are the odds that we don't sustain any more injuries to our top-9 for the rest of this season? I'd say around a 0% chance. There will be top-9 (probably even top-6) TOI available this season.

And in Comtois' case, I also don't really agree with the argument that 18-20 minutes of TOI against 16-19 year-olds is better for him than 12-13 minutes of TOI against the best hockey players in the world. He'll be 20 on January 8th and he's physically ready to play in the NHL. I see no benefit to him playing more minutes against younger, less physically mature junior hockey players. I'd wager that he'd learn more about playing professional hockey in one shift at the NHL level than he would in a whole game in juniors.

Lastly, the whole 40 game thing doesn't bother me either. If he had stayed and played 40 games, BM is still looking at him being a UFA at age 26 1/2. Yes, it's one season earlier that what we'll see now. But if he's really a long-term NHL left winger, he'll be locked up beyond age 26.5 anyway. He'll be bridged on his next contract to age 25 or 26 and then he'll get locked up until age 30. No biggie. Again, he'll be 20 in January, so we'd still have been in fine shape to lock him up through his prime years.

16 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

To be fair, we don't know exactly when he sustained his injury and he could have been playing on it for a few games. He also had a point in 7/10 games, so its not like he scored all of his points in only a few games and was scoreless in most of his outings. I also thought he was effective in more ways than just points. IMO, much more effective than Sherwood (2G/3A in 25 games), Gibbons (0G/1A in 19 games) and Street (3G/2A in 18 games). Comtois deserved to stay with the Big Club.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think BM should have kept him. We're currently about as healthy up front as we're going to be for a while (i.e. Perry and Eaves are the only forwards out) and we still have Sherwood and Aberg taking turns in a top-9 role. Personally, I'd rather see Comtois getting Sherwood's ice time. Also, what are the odds that we don't sustain any more injuries to our top-9 for the rest of this season? I'd say around a 0% chance. There will be top-9 (probably even top-6) TOI available this season.

And in Comtois' case, I also don't really agree with the argument that 18-20 minutes of TOI against 16-19 year-olds is better for him than 12-13 minutes of TOI against the best hockey players in the world. He'll be 20 on January 8th and he's physically ready to play in the NHL. I see no benefit to him playing more minutes against younger, less physically mature junior hockey players. I'd wager that he'd learn more about playing professional hockey in one shift at the NHL level than he would in a whole game in juniors.

Lastly, the whole 40 game thing doesn't bother me either. If he had stayed and played 40 games, BM is still looking at him being a UFA at age 26 1/2. Yes, it's one season earlier that what we'll see now. But if he's really a long-term NHL left winger, he'll be locked up beyond age 26.5 anyway. He'll be bridged on his next contract to age 25 or 26 and then he'll get locked up until age 30. No biggie. Again, he'll be 20 in January, so we'd still have been in fine shape to lock him up through his prime years.

The tailed off thing is more than just about points.  He was noticeably not as big a factor in the last three games and his TOI reflects that.  Carlyle also said the same when asked about Comtois, that he wasn't playing nearly as well.  I know the Ducks' possession stats were all pretty bad during this period, but it's telling that Comtois was the worst - 33.6% Corsi.  Woof.  He's also a LW, so Sherwood and Aberg don't really factor into the equation.  He'd be taking Cogliano, Ritchie, or Rakell's spot.  And if a wing gets hurt, we have Terry and Jones in the AHL.

It's a tough call, but I'd rather they send him down and preserve the year than try to shoehorn him into the lineup.  I also think this forward group under Carlyle is struggling mightily and is rather moribund right now.  It's not an environment I want the young guys learning in.  He's not going to learn anything new from juniors, but he might have actually regressed or been set back in the current environment.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

The tailed off thing is more than just about points.  He was noticeably not as big a factor in the last three games and his TOI reflects that.  Carlyle also said the same when asked about Comtois, that he wasn't playing nearly as well.  I know the Ducks' possession stats were all pretty bad during this period, but it's telling that Comtois was the worst - 33.6% Corsi.  Woof.  He's also a LW, so Sherwood and Aberg don't really factor into the equation.  He'd be taking Cogliano, Ritchie, or Rakell's spot.  And if a wing gets hurt, we have Terry and Jones in the AHL.

It's a tough call, but I'd rather they send him down and preserve the year than try to shoehorn him into the lineup.  I also think this forward group under Carlyle is struggling mightily and is rather moribund right now.  It's not an environment I want the young guys learning in.  He's not going to learn anything new from juniors, but he might have actually regressed or been set back in the current environment.

Or, he was not as big of a factor because he was being given less ice time? We all know that RC's distribution of TOI doesn't always make a ton of sense. But again, we also don't know when his injury actually occurred, and as a 19-year-old rookie it's totally conceivable he was playing hurt and not telling the training staff how badly he was hurt because he wanted to stay in the lineup. (btw, Aberg has been playing at LW some the past several games, so he does factor into the equation)

As far as the Carlyle-effect goes, I want RC shipped out as much as anybody, but let's not kid ourselves. Carlyle has a Stanley Cup and two other WCF appearances on his resume. He's an antiquated NHL coach, but an NHL coach nonetheless. Meanwhile, Comtois' coach in Drummondville is Ryan Falkenham, a 24-year-old former winger who has no experience higher than major juniors. Nothing against Coach Falkenham, but I'd rather see Comtois laboring under Carlyle while learning how to be a pro in the same locker room as Cogliano and Kesler than playing with a bunch of teenagers for a coach only four years older than him.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Or, he was not as big of a factor because he was being given less ice time? We all know that RC's distribution of TOI doesn't always make a ton of sense. But again, we also don't know when his injury actually occurred, and as a 19-year-old rookie it's totally conceivable he was playing hurt and not telling the training staff how badly he was hurt because he wanted to stay in the lineup. (btw, Aberg has been playing at LW some the past several games, so he does factor into the equation)

As far as the Carlyle-effect goes, I want RC shipped out as much as anybody, but let's not kid ourselves. Carlyle has a Stanley Cup and two other WCF appearances on his resume. He's an antiquated NHL coach, but an NHL coach nonetheless. Meanwhile, Comtois' coach in Drummondville is Ryan Falkenham, a 24-year-old former winger who has no experience higher than major juniors. Nothing against Coach Falkenham, but I'd rather see Comtois laboring under Carlyle while learning how to be a pro in the same locker room as Cogliano and Kesler than playing with a bunch of teenagers for a coach only four years older than him.

I would not rather see Comtois play 10 minutes a night for a terrible NHL coach in a locker room that has largely tuned him out.  

20 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

He is talented, but after his hot start, he wasn't playing that well.  And between Rakell, Ritchie, and Cogliano, there's no where for him to get top 9 minutes, much less top 6.  Sending him down was the right move.

Logical choice and good one. btw Did I mention I will give you all a CGM Watch Update.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Kyle Shohara Retweeted Hockey Canada

Max Comtois among the 34 players selected. #NHLDucks second-round pick in 2017 draft. If he makes the team, he'll probably score within the first few minutes of his WJC debut.

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Kyle Shohara Retweeted Hockey Canada

Max Comtois among the 34 players selected. #NHLDucks second-round pick in 2017 draft. If he makes the team, he'll probably score within the first few minutes of his WJC debut.

That would be very interesting to see. Oh btw since returning to the Volts Comtois has 2goals 1assist 3pts in 2 games thus far.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 11/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, dukitup said:

Can you elaborate on that? Why the 40 game is more important than the 10. I'm actually really curious.

25 minutes ago, poum said:

Can you elaborate on that? Why the 40 game is more important than the 10. I'm actually really curious.

I think the 10 game threshold means the ELC starts and the player reaches restricted free agency a year earlier.  I think the 40-game threshold starts the clock toward unrestricted free agency (but I could be wrong there).

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think the 10 game threshold means the ELC starts and the player reaches restricted free agency a year earlier.  I think the 40-game threshold starts the clock toward unrestricted free agency (but I could be wrong there).

That does look the same to me. Though I'm not a fancy city lawyer. (Said in my KFC white suite with a Southern accent).

4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Canada names Maxime Comtois captain for the #WorldJuniors. Evan Bouchard, Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Ian Mitchell are the alternates.

tsn.ca/1.1231484

This is nice, if Jones doesn't pan out for whatever reason, we're already getting some leadership experience on the duckling. Not to mention hist hot start in the NHL this season. He did fall off, but so did the rest of the team in the mid-to-2nd half of October. Need to replace Getz eventually, and Comtois looks like a promising forward guy.

10 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Canada names Maxime Comtois captain for the #WorldJuniors. Evan Bouchard, Jaret Anderson-Dolan and Ian Mitchell are the alternates.

tsn.ca/1.1231484

This is great news. Why is this posted under the thread subject, “Comtois update...not good” :D 

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

This is great news. Why is this posted under the thread subject, “Comtois update...not good” :D 

My mistake :D

Folks I will be watching the game tonite...after I will keep you all up to date on how well he did. BTW Ducks Prospect Goalie Lukas Dostal is doing arlight he is holding the Fort against the Swiss.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

13 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Didn't want to start another thread about the same player.

Maxime Comtois ties the Canadian record with 4 goals, and Morgan Frost adds 3 goals and 5 points as Canada romps to 14-0 win over Denmark. It's just the 4th time that Canada has had two hat tricks in one #WJC game. https://www.tsn.ca/world-juniors/game/534 

🍁 TO THE MAX 🇨🇦 Maxime Comtois becomes the fifth Canadian player to score four goals in a #WorldJuniors game joining ... Taylor Raddysh (2016)

Brayden Schenn (2010)

Simon Gagné (1999)

Mario Lemieux (1983)

I just saw the score for the Canada-Denmark game (14-0) and couldn't stop laughing. Sorry Danes.

Good game from Comtois, four goals and zero PIM. Very un-Duck like. I already miss that sauve French Canadian.

[edit] Looks like all the baby Ducks won their games. Czech goalie Dostal won his; while Lundestrom picked up an assist for Sweden.

17 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Maxime Comtois ties the Canadian record with 4 goals, and Morgan Frost adds 3 goals and 5 points as Canada romps to 14-0 win over Denmark. It's just the 4th time that Canada has had two hat tricks in one #WJC game. https://www.tsn.ca/world-juniors/game/534 

🍁 TO THE MAX 🇨🇦 Maxime Comtois becomes the fifth Canadian player to score four goals in a #WorldJuniors game joining ... Taylor Raddysh (2016)

Brayden Schenn (2010)

Simon Gagné (1999)

Mario Lemieux (1983)

Saw that game last night...From his Pre game speech to his 4 goals...I can tell you having him in the WJHC is going to help his development as a Ducks Player. 4 goals in 1 game Believe me THAT is a dream for any fan.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck