gorbachav5

Alternate history

12 posts in this topic

Sorry this piece is behind a paywall, but for anyone who doesn't already subscribe to The Athletic, do it.  There are a ton of deals out there right now to let you get it for something like $30 for a year, and it's absolutely worth it if you like good sports writing.  https://theathletic.com/683338/2018/11/29/lebrun-how-one-more-stars-win-in-2016-could-have-made-frederik-andersen-a-calgary-flame/

The premise of the article is that Bob Murray almost had a couple of different deals done with the Calgary Flames to send Freddie Andersen to the Flames instead of the Leafs.  One of those deals would have involved the Ducks getting the 6th pick in the 2016 draft, which probably would have netted them either Matthew Tkachuk or Charlie McAvoy (the other player the Ducks loved in that draft).  

I know we all hate Tkachuk, as we should.  But how good would he look in this forward group?  It also would go a long way to reestablishing that tough-to-play-against team identity that has been missing for several years.  I would trade Sam Steel and Max Comtois and a second round pick for Tkachuk right now, which is essentially the trade we'd be making in retrospect.  Think of Tkachuk in that conference finals against Nashville after Eaves went down. It seems like Murray could fill a trophy case with great trades he almost made.

24 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Sorry this piece is behind a paywall, but for anyone who doesn't already subscribe to The Athletic, do it.  There are a ton of deals out there right now to let you get it for something like $30 for a year, and it's absolutely worth it if you like good sports writing.  https://theathletic.com/683338/2018/11/29/lebrun-how-one-more-stars-win-in-2016-could-have-made-frederik-andersen-a-calgary-flame/

The premise of the article is that Bob Murray almost had a couple of different deals done with the Calgary Flames to send Freddie Andersen to the Flames instead of the Leafs.  One of those deals would have involved the Ducks getting the 6th pick in the 2016 draft, which probably would have netted them either Matthew Tkachuk or Charlie McAvoy (the other player the Ducks loved in that draft).  

I know we all hate Tkachuk, as we should.  But how good would he look in this forward group?  It also would go a long way to reestablishing that tough-to-play-against team identity that has been missing for several years.  I would trade Sam Steel and Max Comtois and a second round pick for Tkachuk right now, which is essentially the trade we'd be making in retrospect.  Think of Tkachuk in that conference finals against Nashville after Eaves went down. It seems like Murray could fill a trophy case with great trades he almost made.

I do love these almost trade stories! Does the article say what fell through? Tkachuk would be GREAT on that top line. He could have been that missing piece to properly compliment Getz/Perry. Although McAvoy wouldn't have been a bad get.

But if we give the Flames Andersen...we may not come out of that first round. Brian Elliot being a terrible goalie helped us a lot in that series. Maybe we still would have won it -- just not a sweep. But it would have been a much harder series.

I like Andersen on the leafs...keeps us away from him haha

Thanks for sharing!

3 people like this

26 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I do love these almost trade stories! Does the article say what fell through? Tkachuk would be GREAT on that top line. He could have been that missing piece to properly compliment Getz/Perry. Although McAvoy wouldn't have been a bad get.

But if we give the Flames Andersen...we may not come out of that first round. Brian Elliot being a terrible goalie helped us a lot in that series. Maybe we still would have won it -- just not a sweep. But it would have been a much harder series.

Thanks for sharing!

Treliving just never felt comfortable giving up the 6th pick in the draft so he didn't do it.

It's funny, though, that had he made that trade, the Flames would have had a lot better shot to beat the Ducks in those playoffs.  One of those trades that would have made both teams better, but probably would have made a bigger difference for the Flames than the Ducks.

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

Treliving just never felt comfortable giving up the 6th pick in the draft so he didn't do it.

It's funny, though, that had he made that trade, the Flames would have had a lot better shot to beat the Ducks in those playoffs.  One of those trades that would have made both teams better, but probably would have made a bigger difference for the Flames than the Ducks.

Yes! Exactly! He was probably filled with so much regret as Brian Elliot allowed bad goal after bad goal after bad goal...

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Lol I don't hate Tkachuk. Matter of fact, I love watching him play (not quite as much when he plays the Ducks). I guess that's a direct result of defending players like Perry and Kesler for the last so many years.

Oh man, if I was coaching the Ducks, I would throw out a line with the three of them. How fun would that be?

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Part of me wants to cry that this deal didn’t happen 

47 minutes ago, wataduk said:

Lol I don't hate Tkachuk. Matter of fact, I love watching him play (not quite as much when he plays the Ducks). I guess that's a direct result of defending players like Perry and Kesler for the last so many years.

Oh man, if I was coaching the Ducks, I would throw out a line with the three of them. How fun would that be?

I can imagine the announcers when we have a national broadcast on NHL or NBCSports...

"Coming over the boards now is Anaheim's line of a**holes..."

3 people like this

8 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

I can imagine the announcers when we have a national broadcast on NHL or NBCSports...

"Coming over the boards now is Anaheim's line of a**holes..."

hahaha yes...it would need to have a line name...as the Ducks broadcasters were just talking about...

The A**holes

The Katella Bullies

The Katella Killers

The PIM Line (ugh! if only Kesler's name started with an I somewhere...)

The Pesky Line

Edited by Jasoaks
1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

hahaha yes...it would need to have a line name...as the Ducks broadcasters were just talking about...

The A**holes

The Katella Bullies

The Katella Killers

The PIM Line (ugh! if only Kesler's name started with an I somewhere...)

The Pesky Line

The "Nasty Boys."

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, wataduk said:

The "Nasty Boys."

That sounds like a chipendales team.  no thank you.

21 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Interesting Read....there Gorby. IF he had courage and the will Bob can do it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

On 29/11/2018 at 0:57 PM, Jasoaks said:

Thanks for sharing!

That was the year the Flames murdered Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen. IIRC the team was running with a rookie Theodore and Bieska as their top pairing during the final two games of that series. I don't think the Ducks make it out of the first round at all without Elliott's hilariously poor performance. That might have been one of the sloppiest sweeps of all time. Calgary's game 3 collapse in particular was as demoralizing as it gets for a team because the Ducks were absolutely terrible before Elliott flew off the rails. It's a completely different series without him in net. A goalie as good as Andersen gives you a chance to win every night. There's also the extra motivation of going up against your old team in the playoffs. 

As long as we're talking alternate histories here, losing to Calgary (or scraping by them only to lose to the healtier Oilers since that extra week of recovery time goes out the window) would mean last season's embarrassing exit would've been handled much differently. I'm not so sure Tkachuk does anything against the Sharks outside of giving the Ducks another player whose stupidity gets him stuck inside the penalty box.

1 person likes this