DuckFan4Life

Pettersson Traded for Daniel Sprong

157 posts in this topic

But why Pettersson? He's been one of the few Dmen I'm not regularly mad at.

2 people like this

I think we saw the ceiling with Pettersson. He's never going to be better than a #6 guy in the NHL.

So Daniel Sprong.

21 years old. Has 4 goals, 9 points in 42 NHL games. Scored 65 points in 65 AHL games last season. So a proven AHL scorer and is young enough that he could still develop into a regular NHLer.

1 minute ago, BlazingEtem said:

That’s what I was thinking. He looks like he’s going to be good. 

Also not sure why we are getting another right winger? 

Sprong seems ok. I heard from some Pitt fans he was expendable, which I don’t like.  

2 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I think that it's a sign that the Ducks are becoming more confident in Jacob Larsson. They are already full on the left side with Fowler, Lindholm, Larsson and Mahura coming up. Also, I think that it could set the stage for a potential Silfverberg trade.

2 minutes ago, nieder said:

I think we saw the ceiling with Pettersson. He's never going to be better than a #6 guy in the NHL.

So Daniel Sprong.

21 years old. Has 4 goals, 9 points in 42 NHL games. Scored 65 points in 65 AHL games last season. So a proven AHL scorer and is young enough that he could still develop into a regular NHLer.

Looks like he's been up and down the AHL/NHL mostly in the AHL. Not an exciting move. 

Just goes to show you...no one knows what is going on in Bob's mind...

2 people like this

Pettersson was also fine. He didn't seem horrible...but he didn't showcase a lot of potential...doesn't mean he didn't have any. Obviously that could have changed -- he still has the potential of...potential lol. He was reliable though. Where as this forward...RW...mostly AHL experience...not much of a pick up. I feel like this is for the Gulls more than the Ducks...but then why get rid of Pettersson for it???

Well, I also didn't see the value in the Aberg pick up soooooooooooo...

Just my knee jerk reactions without knowing much about Sprong and not thinking much about Pettersson. I just know I'm not usually making a comment about him one way or another lol

Edited by Jasoaks

13 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Maybe Murray forgot about Welinski?

4 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that it's a sign that the Ducks are becoming more confident in Jacob Larsson. They are already full on the left side with Fowler, Lindholm, Larsson and Mahura coming up. Also, I think that it could set the stage for a potential Silfverberg trade.

I think this is also an indictment of Patrick Eaves by the organization. Whenever Perry and Eaves come back, there is going to be a huge log jam at RW. They now have Perry, Silfverberg, Aberg, Kase, Eaves, Sherwood and Sprong under contract the rest of the year. My guess is that they view Sprong as the eventual S33 replacement and that they aren't planning on Eaves being a regular contributor going forward.

On the flip side, I don't quite understand why they made this move now. They are already shorthanded on the blueline and just got done playing a game where one of their Dmen finished with about 7 minutes of icetime. On top of that, all the guys playing are mostly right handed except for Lindholm and Larsson. I've been pretty critical of Larsson so far, but the organization must think he's ready to be a regular now (I don't, but yolo). 

For the record, for all of us clamoring to acquire a top 6 RW, Sprong certainly has the potential and pedigree to become one. It didn't work out for whatever reason in Pitt, but take a look at his juniors and AHL numbers. The potential is evident, they just need to put him in the right setting. 

I'm more puzzled than upset by this move. I think Pettersson held his own for the most part, but I didn't see anything from him that told me he had potential higher than a bottom 4, defensive Dmen. The Ducks could certainly use one now that he's gone, but guys with his skillset are a dime a dozen. I do hope he does well in Pitt.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Just my knee jerk reactions without knowing much about Sprong

I just watched some youtube highlights of him and he's not that bad. Kind of like a Dutch version of Kase. He's only 21 and has one more year on his contract.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

That’s what I was thinking. He looks like he’s going to be good. 

Also not sure why we are getting another right winger? 

Sprong seems ok. I heard from some Pitt fans he was expendable, which I don’t like.  

I don't think it's necessary a bad thing. Pittsburgh is one of the more loaded teams offensively so and they are struggling on the back-end with Shultz being hurt and Jack Johnson not panning out so far. 

3 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I just watched some youtube highlights of him and he's not that bad. Kind of like a Dutch version of Kase. He's only 21 and has one more year on his contract.

That's a way to sell us on him! lol

3 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I'm more puzzled than upset by this move.

Same...maybe we'll see Mahura up on the regular now?

I’m reading that PITT expected him to pop but never did. He was was also given opportunities on the top line with Crosby but could not produce. As a result He later was regulated to the fourth line. However in the AHL he’s done well. Don’t know how I feel about this player. I don’t know much about this player either though. Is he creative when he is on the ice. Does he make room for himself? Does he make plays happen? What does he do away from the ice. Hope he checks off these items or else we might have another Etem who was a one trick pony and could not evolve his game to the NHL 

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

That's a way to sell us on him! lol

Well....I tried...Just saying he has speed and it looks like he might have some good hands. Sprong and Pettersson were both 2nd rounders so it's not like BM traded for a 7th round slug. I think everyone needs to take a step back, calm down and give the kid a chance. I mean, look at the Berg. Waiver wire pick-up and he's the leading goal scorer.

18 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I think this is also an indictment of Patrick Eaves by the organization. Whenever Perry and Eaves come back, there is going to be a huge log jam at RW. They now have Perry, Silfverberg, Aberg, Kase, Eaves, Sherwood and Sprong under contract the rest of the year. My guess is that they view Sprong as the eventual S33 replacement and that they aren't planning on Eaves being a regular contributor going forward.

On the flip side, I don't quite understand why they made this move now. They are already shorthanded on the blueline and just got done playing a game where one of their Dmen finished with about 7 minutes of icetime. On top of that, all the guys playing are mostly right handed except for Lindholm and Larsson. I've been pretty critical of Larsson so far, but the organization must think he's ready to be a regular now (I don't, but yolo). 

For the record, for all of us clamoring to acquire a top 6 RW, Sprong certainly has the potential and pedigree to become one. It didn't work out for whatever reason in Pitt, but take a look at his juniors and AHL numbers. The potential is evident, they just need to put him in the right setting. 

I'm more puzzled than upset by this move. I think Pettersson held his own for the most part, but I didn't see anything from him that told me he had potential higher than a bottom 4, defensive Dmen. The Ducks could certainly use one now that he's gone, but guys with his skillset are a dime a dozen. I do hope he does well in Pitt.

Yeah, Perry is still a long way away from returning and the Ducks should never have relied on a healthy Eaves and it doesn't seem like they are now. Sherwood is waivers exempt so they can send him down no problem and if Silfverberg gets moved, then you'd have Kase, Perry, Aberg and Sprong theoretically when the dust settles. It definitely appears to be an insurance move.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

16 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I’m reading that PITT expected him to pop but never did. He was was also given opportunities on the top line with Crosby but could not produce. As a result He later was regulated to the fourth line. However in the AHL he’s done well. Don’t know how I feel about this player. I don’t know much about this player either though. Is he creative when he is on the ice. Does he make room for himself? Does he make plays happen? What does he do away from the ice. Hope he checks off these items or else we might have another Etem who was a one trick pony and could not evolve his game to the NHL 

Those top line minutes with Crosby you speak of were not from this year. They were given last year where he put up 3pts in 8 games. This year, he has been subjected to most likely 3rd and 4th line duties by Mike Sullivan. In addition, he's been healthy scratched more than he's gotten top 6 icetime this year.

As someone who follows prospects closely, I've seen a lot of Sprong, both at the AHL and NHL (granted not as much) level. It should be noted, for those who aren't very familiar with him, that Pittsburgh has really mismanaged his development so far in his young career. He actually got his 1st NHL action in 2015-2016, his draft year, as an 18 year old. He made the team to open the season, and then Penguins coach, Mike Johnson, proceeded to play him on the 4th line for 18 games before everyone realized what a stupid move that was and sent him back to the Q. He then put up 105pts in 64 games over 2 years in the Q, followed by 65pts in 65 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in the AHL. He has talent, and every scouting report I have seen of him seems to acknowledge he has an elite level offensive skillset. Only time will tell if he can put it together in the NHL. One thing for sure is that he is a top 6 or bust type of player...so I fully expect to see him on the 4th line next game.

Edited by BlazingEtem
3 people like this

4 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Those top line minutes with Crosby you speak of were not from this year. They were given last year where he put up 3pts in 8 games. This year, he has been subjected to most likely 3rd and 4th line duties by Mike Sullivan. In addition, he's been healthy scratched more than he's gotten top 6 icetime this year.

As someone who follows prospects closely, I've seen a lot of Sprong, both at the AHL and NHL (granted not as much) level. It should be noted, for those who aren't very familiar with him, that Pittsburgh has really mismanaged his development so far in his young career. He actually got his 1st NHL action in 2015-2016, his draft year, as an 18 year old. He made the team to open the season, and then Penguins coach, Mike Johnson, proceeded to play him on the 4th line for 18 games before everyone realized what a stupid move that was and sent him back to the Q. He then put up 105pts in 64 games over 2 years in the Q, followed by 65pts in 65 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in the AHL. He has talent, and every scouting report I have seen of him seems to acknowledge he has an elite level offensive skillset. Only time will tell if he can put it together in the NHL. One thing for sure is that he is a top 6 or bust type of player...so I fully expect to see him on the 4th line next game.

How is he defensively? If he can hold his own in that aspect then it makes more sense that the team would be more likely to move Silfverberg before the deadline.

56 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Or Pittsburgh watched him play...

Plus, when he finally breaks through, we can all say that "Sprong has sprung."

#hearditherefirst

6 people like this

Pettersson looked like  he couldn't put on weight or muscle. Looked the same from last year  - not a Dman that could use his body very well - a bean stalk

26 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

How is he defensively? If he can hold his own in that aspect then it makes more sense that the team would be more likely to move Silfverberg before the deadline.

He really likes to play physical so that should bode well for him if we subject him to a cycle game. Just like the offense, the defensive side of his game could use improvement as a whole. I haven't seen him lost on plays, so his hockey sense is fine.

Meh, Pettersson is going to be great.  He's started to hit recently, and he can lower the boom, regardless his upper body frame.

I'm not-so-cautiously calling this a BFM on BM's part.  A big, big, mistake.  

I'm going all in on this.  Unless they ship him for a trade on someone else, this is a pretty Dehydrated Donkey Dung poor way to reward a team that just went on a run.  They could have gotten better for Pettersson, even IF they have to make room for Mahura.

^#$*^&#^.  

Interesting move.  Is he going to the AHL?  There's no room on RW for him in the top 9 with Aberg/Silf/Kase unless Murray is looking to dump Silf earlier rather than later.  Meanwhile, Fowler will be back eventually, but the Ducks are still shallow on the left side of the defense.  Does this mean Mahura is coming up?  I'm not going to miss Pettersson very much.  His wheels were poor at best.  He's fine for a 6th d-man, but Larsson, while struggling at times, clearly has a lot more upside.

It's just the timing that's strange.  Maybe we're making room for Nylander!  Wait...

51 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Looks like he's been up and down the AHL/NHL mostly in the AHL. Not an exciting move. 

No....but basically it's trading a guy with a low ceiling for a guy with higher potential but could be a bust. Worth the gamble IMO.

3 people like this

Just now, gorbachav5 said:

Interesting move.  Is he going to the AHL?  There's no room on RW for him in the top 9 with Aberg/Silf/Kase unless Murray is looking to dump Silf earlier rather than later.  Meanwhile, Fowler will be back eventually, but the Ducks are still shallow on the left side of the defense.  Does this mean Mahura is coming up?  I'm not going to miss Pettersson very much.  His wheels were poor at best.  He's fine for a 6th d-man, but Larsson, while struggling at times, clearly has a lot more upside.

It's just the timing that's strange.  Maybe we're making room for Nylander!  Wait...

He can't. Because the Pens stupidly played him 18 games in 2015, he is waiver eligible should the Ducks want to send him down. 

2 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Meh, Pettersson is going to be great.  He's started to hit recently, and he can lower the boom, regardless his upper body frame.

I'm not-so-cautiously calling this a BFM on BM's part.  A big, big, mistake.  

I'm going all in on this.  Unless they ship him for a trade on someone else, this is a pretty Dehydrated Donkey Dung poor way to reward a team that just went on a run.  They could have gotten better for Pettersson, even IF they have to make room for Mahura.

^#$*^&#^.  

What about Pettersson indicated that he's going to be great?  He's a poor skater, he's been just okay positionally, and I haven't noticed the hitting lead to anything special.  He doesn't seem to have offensive skills to speak of.  He's also been taking a bunch of penalties recently.  He seems like a classic third pairing d-man with a low ceiling.  For the record, I have nothing against Pettersson and thought he did an adequate job as a 5/6 d-man, but I don't see him moving beyond that role.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

I would much rather this trade have been for Welinski.  I liked Pettersson.  Felt the kid communicated well on the ice.  I hope we didn't get fleeced by Pittsburgh, AGAIN!

2 people like this

1 minute ago, BlazingEtem said:

He can't. Because the Pens stupidly played him 18 games in 2015, he is waiver eligible should the Ducks want to send him down. 

Huh.  Again, while I'd love to roll three scoring lines plus Kesler's Old Man Checking Line, that's not a thing Carlyle does.  Between Sprong, Aberg, and Kase, someone's skill is going to be wasted alongside Gibbons and Rowney/Sherwood.