DuckFan4Life

Pettersson Traded for Daniel Sprong

157 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RobD360 said:

A fast metabolism?

He must not be friend's with Ritchie.

Or maybe worse... he could have been Ritchie's roommate.  "Hey, Nick.  Didn't you order me a burger, too?  What happened to it?"  NR:  "Ohhh... they must have (burp) screwed up the order!"

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

He must not be friend's with Ritchie.

Or maybe worse... he could have been Ritchie's roommate.  "Hey, Nick.  Didn't you order me a burger, too?  What happened to it?"  NR:  "Ohhh... they must have (burp) screwed up the order!"

Ah so NR is to blame for eating away Peterson’s hamburgers. Starvation does have a way of keeping someone as thin as a rail. 

**cue: Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog

5 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Yeah.  He ain't growing, either!  He's got other skills...

Richie grew... didn't see anyone too happy about that....

What do you guys think of Sprong so far?

I haven't been able to watch too many of his games so far...just seeing highlights...but he seems to often go for the low percentage shots. I mean, he has 2 goals that are from basically the goal line. His game-tying goal last night looked as if he had Manson going towards the net for the pass, but instead he went for a very unlikely shot. Also, in one game I watched I noticed he tried to do a lot of stick handling through players when passes were an option and he lost possession.

It's also possible he was using Manson as the decoy and hoping he could catch the goalie cheating a little bit. So, it could have been a very smart play, too.

But i haven't been watching the games really, nor noticing him that much, so I don't see the other things he does that don't make it to the highlights. Are we pretty happy with him so far? I mean I know we were last night haha

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

What do you guys think of Sprong so far?

I haven't been able to watch too many of his games so far...just seeing highlights...but he seems to often go for the low percentage shots. I mean, he has 2 goals that are from basically the goal line. His game-tying goal last night looked as if he had Manson going towards the net for the pass, but instead he went for a very unlikely shot. Also, in one game I watched I noticed he tried to do a lot of stick handling through players when passes were an option and he lost possession.

It's also possible he was using Manson as the decoy and hoping he could catch the goalie cheating a little bit. So, it could have been a very smart play, too.

But i haven't been watching the games really, nor noticing him that much, so I don't see the other things he does that don't make it to the highlights. Are we pretty happy with him so far? I mean I know we were last night haha

I think that he’s been fine. The report on him is that he’s looking to shoot the puck first rather than pass. So, I doubt he saw or thought about passing to Manson lol. With the Ducks lacking offensive skill and decent shooters, I think that he fills that need for the team. It was mentioned earlier by Gorbachev about there being the question where he’ll slot in the lineup going forward. Guess they’ll cross that bridge when they come to it.

It seems like it has been a good trade for both teams so far.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that he’s been fine. The report on him is that he’s looking to shoot the puck first rather than pass. So, I doubt he saw or thought about passing to Manson lol. With the Ducks lacking offensive skill and decent shooters, I think that he fills that need for the team. It was mentioned earlier by Gorbachev about there being the question where he’ll slot in the lineup going forward. Guess they’ll cross that bridge when they come to it.

I think this is about right.  They got Sprong specifically for his shot.  That's the elite skill he has, so I'm all for him shooting from anywhere and everywhere.  Everything else in his game is questionable, which is why he was available in the first place.  The stats say he's been pretty good at generating scoring chances while he's on the ice, and that line hasn't been awful at giving them up.  From the eye test, it seems like he's invisible most of the game and then will make a couple of plays on a shift or two.  A boom or bust type of guy, which is what we thought we were getting. 

As long as the Getzlaf line is dominating play, which they have been, and Kesler's line can hold its own, it works.  It helps when the 4th line can control possession as well.  I think that Henrique/Ritchie/Sprong line is going to generally be on the short side of shot generation, but when they do get chances, they'll be dangerous.  Ritchie helps with that somewhat, but he's not quite fast enough to provide an elite forecheck, so they're going to spend more than their share of time in the defensive zone.  So far, I think it works, especially while Rakell is out.  Give Sprong a bunch of neutral zone and offensive zone starts, and he'll get you some goals, even on crazy, low percentage shots.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I think this is about right.  They got Sprong specifically for his shot.  That's the elite skill he has, so I'm all for him shooting from anywhere and everywhere.  Everything else in his game is questionable, which is why he was available in the first place.  The stats say he's been pretty good at generating scoring chances while he's on the ice, and that line hasn't been awful at giving them up.  From the eye test, it seems like he's invisible most of the game and then will make a couple of plays on a shift or two.  A boom or bust type of guy, which is what we thought we were getting. 

As long as the Getzlaf line is dominating play, which they have been, and Kesler's line can hold its own, it works.  It helps when the 4th line can control possession as well.  I think that Henrique/Ritchie/Sprong line is going to generally be on the short side of shot generation, but when they do get chances, they'll be dangerous.  Ritchie helps with that somewhat, but he's not quite fast enough to provide an elite forecheck, so they're going to spend more than their share of time in the defensive zone.  So far, I think it works, especially while Rakell is out.  Give Sprong a bunch of neutral zone and offensive zone starts, and he'll get you some goals, even on crazy, low percentage shots.

Good to hear!! :)