Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Pettersson Traded for Daniel Sprong

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

What about Pettersson indicated that he's going to be great?  He's a poor skater, he's been just okay positionally, and I haven't noticed the hitting lead to anything special.  He doesn't seem to have offensive skills to speak of.  He's also been taking a bunch of penalties recently.  He seems like a classic third pairing d-man with a low ceiling.  For the record, I have nothing against Pettersson and thought he did an adequate job as a 5/6 d-man, but I don't see him moving beyond that role.

At 22 years of age, it's a little premature for that comment.  If not for what I saw of Mahura, I would be more bummed about this trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I would much rather this trade have been for Welinski.  I liked Pettersson.  Felt the kid communicated well on the ice.  I hope we didn't get fleeced by Pittsburgh, AGAIN!

Maybe you're thinking of the Kunitz - Whitney trade, but that was a long time ago.  The Ducks did well in the Despres and Perron trades.  But I might be missing one or two throughout the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Maybe you're thinking of the Kunitz - Whitney trade, but that was a long time ago.  The Ducks did well in the Despres and Perron trades.  But I might be missing one or two throughout the years.

Definitely that.  Ryan freaking Whitney.  I just puked a lil bit in my mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WolfgangDuck said:

At 22 years of age, it's a little premature for that comment.  If not for what I saw of Mahura, I would be more bummed about this trade.

I don't think it's premature.  Of course, you never know for sure with young players, but prospect rating systems do this all the time.  Players are rated both for their potential/ceiling and for the chance they have to reach that potential.  This is a trade of a low-ceiling, non-risky player for a medium ceiling, somewhat risky player.  If everything goes right, Pettersson might not kill you as a defensively sound second pairing d-man.  If nothing goes right, Pettersson will be a 6/7 d-man.  There's plenty of value in that, depending on your risk aversion.

If everything goes right, Sprong could be a solid producing top 6 winger.  If nothing goes right, Sprong gradually fades away in the AHL.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Definitely that.  Ryan freaking Whitney.  I just puked a lil bit in my mouth.

Fair enough.  That was certainly a clunker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Meh, Pettersson is going to be great.  He's started to hit recently, and he can lower the boom, regardless his upper body frame.

I'm not-so-cautiously calling this a BFM on BM's part.  A big, big, mistake.  

I'm going all in on this.  Unless they ship him for a trade on someone else, this is a pretty Dehydrated Donkey Dung poor way to reward a team that just went on a run.  They could have gotten better for Pettersson, even IF they have to make room for Mahura.

^#$*^&#^.  

I think you're overrating Pettersson to be honest. I haven't seen much from him that indicates he's going to be more than a skinnier version of Schenn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

I would much rather this trade have been for Welinski.  I liked Pettersson.  Felt the kid communicated well on the ice.  I hope we didn't get fleeced by Pittsburgh, AGAIN!

Welinski has no trade value. He is 25 and has played 18 career NHL games up to this point. Nothing more needs to be said, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Huh.  Again, while I'd love to roll three scoring lines plus Kesler's Old Man Checking Line, that's not a thing Carlyle does.  Between Sprong, Aberg, and Kase, someone's skill is going to be wasted alongside Gibbons and Rowney/Sherwood.

It gets worse when Perry comes back. One of those guys is going to get healthy scratched unless Silfverberg is moved before or at the trade deadline. My guess is that Silf is going in a package for something because I can't fathom them actually healthy scratching 1 of those guys unless Aberg drops off a cliff or Sprong shows nothing. And I haven't even mentioned Eaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlazingEtem said:

It gets worse when Perry comes back. One of those guys is going to get healthy scratched unless Silfverberg is moved before or at the trade deadline. My guess is that Silf is going in a package for something because I can't fathom them actually healthy scratching 1 of those guys unless Aberg drops off a cliff or Sprong shows nothing. And I haven't even mentioned Eaves.

I don't think the Ducks are expecting Eaves to play much over the rest of his contract.  I also expect Silf to be dealt.  He's definitely not being re-signed.

Aberg might very well drop off the side of Mt. Sexton.  There are a lot of large crevasses and some dangerous footing on that particular peak.  So Sprong might be insurance for that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ducks-trade-20181203-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Netherlands native is known as a smooth-skating right winger with impressive vision. Those attributes made him a second-round pick in 2015 (Pettersson was drafted in the same round a year earlier.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well first off just wanna say Thank You to Marcus Petterson and best of luck in Pittsburgh and your Hockey Career. Welcome Daniel Sprong to Anaheim Ducks he is our FIRST Dutch hockey player......Imho this is good trade. I have watch Sprong in the Q and he is abit of two way  player and happy Ducks got him. Who knows what future holds But I believe Ducks will give Sprong a chance if they give him that chance to do so.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't think the Ducks are expecting Eaves to play much over the rest of his contract.  I also expect Silf to be dealt.  He's definitely not being re-signed.

Aberg might very well drop off the side of Mt. Sexton.  There are a lot of large crevasses and some dangerous footing on that particular peak.  So Sprong might be insurance for that.

I expect Silf to be traded also.  He's not doing anything with the limited time on the Getz line and Kelser isn't helping him like like in years past. I've really soured on Silf this year. 

Sounds like Eaves is toast also, especially after this year. The kid is 21, and they thought highly enough of him to play him with Sid at an early age.  The thing is, it takes most a while to develop. Let's hope that's the case here.  

I like what I've seen from Muhara much more than Petterson.  Petterson reminds me of nothing more than a decent stay at home guy like Pavel Trnka was.

I think this was a solid trade for the future. We didn't really risk much on the D side long term. We have plenty of depth there.  You don't make a trade like this worried about what's happening at this moment.  We need, young forward depth.

Edited by JiggyToTheCup
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I expect Silf to be traded also.  He's not doing anything with the limited time on the Getz line and Kelser isn't helping him like like in years past. I've really soured on Silf this year. 

Sounds like Eaves is toast also, especially after this year. The kid is 21, and they thought highly enough of him to play him with Sid at an early age.  The thing is, it takes most a while to develop. Let's hope that's the case here.  

I like what I've seen from Muhara much more than Petterson.  Petterson reminds me of nothing more than a decent stay at home guy like Pavel Trnka was.

I think this was a solid trade for the future. We didn't really risk much on the D side long term. We have plenty of depth there.  You don't make a trade like this worried about what's happening at this moment.  We need, young forward depth.

I couldn't agree more. Sprong is good Pick up.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't think the Ducks are expecting Eaves to play much over the rest of his contract.  I also expect Silf to be dealt.  He's definitely not being re-signed.

Aberg might very well drop off the side of Mt. Sexton.  There are a lot of large crevasses and some dangerous footing on that particular peak.  So Sprong might be insurance for that.

Maybe I'm dense but why does everyone assume Silfverberg will not be resigned? Or he is definitely getting moved?  Sure the guy is not scoring many goals as of late but he has always been streaky with his scoring.  And he is one of the best two way forwards on the team. I would argue he is much more effective than Cogliano and the Ducks just resigned him last year. 

just because he is in his final season of his current contract doesn't automatically mean he is gone. 

Unless someone on these boards has heard directly from the Ducks' front office that there is no future for Silfverberg in Anaheim I hope you are all just speculating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shadowduck said:

Maybe I'm dense but why does everyone assume Silfverberg will not be resigned? Or he is definitely getting moved?  Sure the guy is not scoring many goals as of late but he has always been streaky with his scoring.  And he is one of the best two way forwards on the team. I would argue he is much more effective than Cogliano and the Ducks just resigned him last year. 

just because he is in his final season of his current contract doesn't automatically mean he is gone. 

Unless someone on these boards has heard directly from the Ducks' front office that there is no future for Silfverberg in Anaheim I hope you are all just speculating.

Odds are that even if Silf was resigned, he would be chopped liver for the Seattle Expansion draft. I don't want to see him go, but its hard to imagine a scenario where he is here in 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do worry that Sprong is the new Emerson Etem.  The hockey version of baseball's proverbial AAAA player - looks great against minor league talent, but has holes in his game big enough that he can't succeed at the top level. 

What do the lines look like now? Does Sprong play on line 4?  Sherwood only got 8 minutes yesterday, and while I'm cool with Gibbons and Rowney as 4th line players, they're not going to do Sprong any favors in the offense department.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Maybe I'm dense but why does everyone assume Silfverberg will not be resigned? Or he is definitely getting moved?  Sure the guy is not scoring many goals as of late but he has always been streaky with his scoring.  And he is one of the best two way forwards on the team. I would argue he is much more effective than Cogliano and the Ducks just resigned him last year. 

just because he is in his final season of his current contract doesn't automatically mean he is gone. 

Unless someone on these boards has heard directly from the Ducks' front office that there is no future for Silfverberg in Anaheim I hope you are all just speculating.

Where is there room for him, playing time wise or cap wise?  Here are the NHL-caliber right wings the Ducks currently control through next season:

  • Perry: can't be moved
  • Eaves: almost certainly can't be moved, although there's a slim chance he could retire or be bought out
  • Kase: Great value for his production
  • Aberg: Could fall off a cliff, but the Ducks need to ride this hot streak as long as they can
  • Sprong: Why acquire him if you're not going to play him in the top 9?
  • Sherwood: He's a classic 4th line energy guy, which means he's expendable.  But he's there for now, and Carlyle likes playing these players on line 4
  • Terry: If he continues lighting up the AHL as he's been doing, he's going to need a roster spot next season

That's seven guys, and only two of them (Eaves and Sherwood) are guys who you should assume won't be in the lineup every night.  Every other guy should be in the lineup unless something goes wrong. 

From a cap perspective, the Ducks just don't have room for a $4 million player who doesn't upgrade the roster.  I'm a fan of Silf, but he just doesn't make sense on next year's team.  I could see the Ducks hanging onto him this season if they find themselves near the top of the division at the trade deadline, but I think re-signing him would create a roster crunch and be a waste of budget/cap space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ducks-trade-20181203-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Netherlands native is known as a smooth-skating right winger with impressive vision. Those attributes made him a second-round pick in 2015 (Pettersson was drafted in the same round a year earlier.)

Was.  Currently known as a bust in Pitt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is way too much over analyzing with this trade. We traded a young defenseman and got a young winger in return. I can see Sprong with Rowney to start off then see if he fits in somewhere else in the line up. From what I've seen of him, he provides speed and has some decent hands. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nieder said:

I think you're overrating Pettersson to be honest. I haven't seen much from him that indicates he's going to be more than a skinnier version of Schenn.

I've focused on some of his play.  I think he'll be a late blooming Pronger with a (back) hunch.  

Lindholm is doing ok, but most of our D needs some serious shot-coaching.  Ug, if only Monty could get his shot in order, we'd get 30G season out of him.

Regardless, this hunk of AHL they traded Pett for is, in my opinion, not going to be an NHLr.  I'm surprised they didn't just send Pett down, since it looks like he's waivers exempt? And I expect us to be hurting for a while trying to shore up what Pett is leaving absent, though at least we have what looks really decent in Mahura.  Hopefully we don't screw that up, or lose yet another D-man to injury (knock on wood, throw salt, etc. etc.).  

Edited by Fisix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sprong dominated the AHL as a 20 year old. This could be a really good pick up if he can make the transition. He’s barely played in the NHL and still only 21. Lots of Pens fans saying he never got much of a chance when he played and he was mishandled. 

Edited by Spencer_12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Sprong dominated the AHL as a 20 year old. This could be a really good pick up if he can make the transition. He’s barely played in the NHL and still only 21. Lots of Pens fans saying he never got a great shot when he played and he was mishandled. 

That's what I'm worried we'll do (mishandle Sprong, that is).  Again, where is he going to play?  With as well as Kase and Aberg have played, and their style of game, you have to keep them in the top 9.  The only other guy to displace is Silf.  He's struggled, but he's a proven 2nd line winger.  Isn't sticking Sprong with Gibbons and Rowney/Sherwood for 10 minutes a game just as bad as what Pitt was doing to him?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisix said:

I've focused on some of his play.  I think he'll be a late blooming Pronger with a (back) hunch.  

Lindholm is doing ok, but most of our D needs some serious shot-coaching.  Ug, if only Monty could get his shot in order, we'd get 30G season out of him.

Regardless, this hunk of AHL they traded Pett for is, in my opinion, not going to be an NHLr.  I'm surprised they didn't just send Pett down, since it looks like he's waivers exempt? And I expect us to be hurting for a while trying to shore up what Pett is leaving absent, though at least we have what looks really decent in Mahura.  Hopefully we don't screw that up, or lose yet another D-man to injury (knock on wood, throw salt, etc. etc.).  

Chris Pronger? Are you saying Pettersson will turn into Chris Pronger? Late bloomer...as in he wont be that way right away, but he'll be at the same level as Chris Pronger at some point in his career? It sounds crazy to me which is why I'm assuming I am missing something here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are in a playoff spot come deadline...I think Silfv will be staying. He's been proven to be a strong playoff performer. In the past 4 playoffs he's played 44 games and has 39 points. I didn't do all the math, but I bet that's either 2nd or 3rd on our team the past 4 post seasons.

He's a great 2-way forward. A lot of how responsible he is with the puck just doesn't show up on the score sheet or is flashy. I think if Sprong really gels and provides us with more speed/scoring depth...maybe we see Silfv traded regardless of our position. But BM is probably going to wait and see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisix said:

I've focused on some of his play.  I think he'll be a late blooming Pronger with a (back) hunch.  

Lindholm is doing ok, but most of our D needs some serious shot-coaching.  Ug, if only Monty could get his shot in order, we'd get 30G season out of him.

Regardless, this hunk of AHL they traded Pett for is, in my opinion, not going to be an NHLr.  I'm surprised they didn't just send Pett down, since it looks like he's waivers exempt? And I expect us to be hurting for a while trying to shore up what Pett is leaving absent, though at least we have what looks really decent in Mahura.  Hopefully we don't screw that up, or lose yet another D-man to injury (knock on wood, throw salt, etc. etc.).  

Pronger?  This is the best schtick ever on this board. Well done!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

If we are in a playoff spot come deadline...I think Silfv will be staying. He's been proven to be a strong playoff performer. In the past 4 playoffs he's played 44 games and has 39 points. I didn't do all the math, but I bet that's either 2nd or 3rd on our team the past 4 post seasons.

He's a great 2-way forward. A lot of how responsible he is with the puck just doesn't show up on the score sheet or is flashy. I think if Sprong really gels and provides us with more speed/scoring depth...maybe we see Silfv traded regardless of our position. But BM is probably going to wait and see.

I can see him getting moved even if the Ducks are in the playoff race. St. Louis did a similar thing with Stastny last year. The question is what can you get for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good trade.  Don't think Petersson was going to amount to more the 3rd pairing guy anyway.  Sprong has great potential upside.  Mahura and Welinski are both upgrades IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I can see him getting moved even if the Ducks are in the playoff race. St. Louis did a similar thing with Stastny last year. The question is what can you get for him. 

Tomas Tatar got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd last year at the deadline (although he had time left on his deal).  Maroon got a 3rd rounder and a prospect.  Vanek got an okay NHL player (Jokinen) and a meh prospect.  Maybe the best comp is Michael Grabner who got a 2nd round pick and a longshot D prospect.

The Ducks might be able to get a 1st round pick from a contender, but I think 2nd rounder + C+/B- prospect is probably about right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...