The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Pettersson Traded for Daniel Sprong

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Chris Pronger? Are you saying Pettersson will turn into Chris Pronger? Late bloomer...as in he wont be that way right away, but he'll be at the same level as Chris Pronger at some point in his career? It sounds crazy to me which is why I'm assuming I am missing something here...

Yes, that Pronger.  I'm all in.  

• Like 1

Not sure why is it so much hype in this thread? 2 borderline-NHL players swapped in the trade, nothing more than that.

Edited by FanSince1993

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

While we're at it, Kase is a late-blooming Pavel Bure.  

Ew! Ew! Ew! I wanna play! Um... Rowney is a Peter Forsberg in the making.... they are both centers LOL 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Where is there room for him, playing time wise or cap wise?  Here are the NHL-caliber right wings the Ducks currently control through next season:

• Perry: can't be moved
  • Eaves: almost certainly can't be moved, although there's a slim chance he could retire or be bought out
  • Kase: Great value for his production
  • Aberg: Could fall off a cliff, but the Ducks need to ride this hot streak as long as they can
  • Sprong: Why acquire him if you're not going to play him in the top 9?
  • Sherwood: He's a classic 4th line energy guy, which means he's expendable.  But he's there for now, and Carlyle likes playing these players on line 4
  • Terry: If he continues lighting up the AHL as he's been doing, he's going to need a roster spot next season

That's seven guys, and only two of them (Eaves and Sherwood) are guys who you should assume won't be in the lineup every night.  Every other guy should be in the lineup unless something goes wrong. 

From a cap perspective, the Ducks just don't have room for a $4 million player who doesn't upgrade the roster.  I'm a fan of Silf, but he just doesn't make sense on next year's team.  I could see the Ducks hanging onto him this season if they find themselves near the top of the division at the trade deadline, but I think re-signing him would create a roster crunch and be a waste of budget/cap space.

I didn't read through the whole thread but can Sprong be sent down? Because it seems like an AHL move more than anything.

I'm guessing Sprong goes to San Diego. He'll replace Terry there who's going to Toronto together with Montour for Nylander.
Then Eaves gets bought out and Silfverberg gets traded for picks at the deadline or he walks after the season if we make The Playoffs.
Nylander will center his own line with the likes of Comtois and Sprong after another year in the AHL. We'll finally be able to roll 3 scoring lines on our way to Lord Stanley's Cup :lol:

But not really. I also find this move puzzling. We have enough wingers already and reading comments from Pittsburgh fans it seems he has to play in the top 6 or go home. Getzlaf can make any player better but you can only play him with 2 wingers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fisix said:

Yes, that Pronger.  I'm all in.  

Pettersson doesn't have that kind of nasty in him.  Never, ever.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-trade-penguins-trade-daniel-sprong-to-ducks-for-marcus-pettersson/2018/12/03/

Most media comments are about how Sprong was a disappointment - in line with that Pit fans and media are saying. Regarding our guy they collectively went "Marcus whofromwhere?". I think MP can get more credit than he got, he was very solid during our opening stretch, but I sure hope they're wrong about Sprong.

In any case, this will bump out Terry from the Gulls to the main club even if Sprong never steps onto Hondaponda ice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Not sure why is it so much hype in this thread? 2 borderline-NHL players swapped in the trade, nothing more than that.

NO!!!  EVERY TRADE MUST BE EARTH-SHATTERING AND ONLY HELP THE TOP LINE OF THE NHL SQUAD AS IF NO OTHER TEAM OR LINES EXIST IN THE ORGANIZATION!!!!

• Like 4

I've used up all my likes in this thread.  Awesome!

8 hours ago, Fowl said:

Pettersson doesn't have that kind of nasty in him.  Never, ever.

He does now that he's been traded for low-end AHL meat.  ;)

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

NO!!!  EVERY TRADE MUST BE EARTH-SHATTERING AND ONLY HELP THE TOP LINE OF THE NHL SQUAD AS IF NO OTHER TEAM OR LINES EXIST IN THE ORGANIZATION!!!!

Is it really strange that we're fans of the Ducks and talking about a move that the Ducks made? 

Hey guys, we're not supposed to talk about Ducks roster activities.  Might as well shut the boards down.

Edit: Also, how dare you casually dismiss future Hall of Famer Marcus Pettersson.

Edited by gorbachav5
  • Like 3

New Ducks forward Daniel Sprong is skating with Adam Henrique and Nick Ritchie in practice. Ondrej Kase bumped to fourth with Carter Rowney and Kiefer Sherwood. Josh Mahura takes Marcus Pettersson's old spot alongside Jake Dotchin.

10 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

New Ducks forward Daniel Sprong is skating with Adam Henrique and Nick Ritchie in practice. Ondrej Kase bumped to fourth with Carter Rowney and Kiefer Sherwood. Josh Mahura takes Marcus Pettersson's old spot alongside Jake Dotchin.

Complete waste putting Kase on the 4th line when he's been one of the only consistently dangerous looking forwards all season.

4 minutes ago, nieder said:

Complete waste putting Kase on the 4th line when he's been one of the only consistently dangerous looking forwards all season.

A new guy skating on a line in practice doesn't necessarily mean someone is getting bumped. Hell, RC might have him with skating with Getz, Kes and Rowney before the next game just to see where he might fit in.

5 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

A new guy skating on a line in practice doesn't necessarily mean someone is getting bumped. Hell, RC might have him with skating with Getz, Kes and Rowney before the next game just to see where he might fit in.

Someone is going to get "wasted."  Aberg has been the guy taking shifts on the 4th line in games, but he usually switches with Sherwood at some point.  Aberg, Kase, Sprong, or Silfverberg - one of them is going to be alongside Rowney and Gibbons.

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Someone is going to get "wasted."  Aberg has been the guy taking shifts on the 4th line in games, but he usually switches with Sherwood at some point.  Aberg, Kase, Sprong, or Silfverberg - one of them is going to be alongside Rowney and Gibbons.

A few guys are eventually going to get "wasted" to bring in Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom and Terry. Sprong might just be another piece for a trade or a Silf replacement if he's traded. I mean Sprong hasn't even played one shift with Anaheim yet and it sounds like it's the end of the world.

26 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

A few guys are eventually going to get "wasted" to bring in Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom and Terry. Sprong might just be another piece for a trade or a Silf replacement if he's traded. I mean Sprong hasn't even played one shift with Anaheim yet and it sounds like it's the end of the world.

21 year old, washed up, has been. 

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

I'm more sad about Mahura w/ Dotchin...I thought Mahura and Montour had really good chemistry and communication.

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

I don't understand your point.  It's great to have depth, which is what Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom, and Terry are.  Sprong has to play at the NHL level or he'll probably be picked up on waivers, which means we traded Pettersson for nothing.  If Sprong's playing at the NHL level, he should be playing a top 9 role, otherwise we're guilty of the same thing Pittsburgh was doing to him, in which case he'll flounder and again, we traded Pettersson for nothing.

I think the trade was a good one, as long as Sprong is handled correctly.  I'm wondering how the Ducks are going to manage that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't understand your point.  It's great to have depth, which is what Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom, and Terry are.  Sprong has to play at the NHL level or he'll probably be picked up on waivers, which means we traded Pettersson for nothing.  If Sprong's playing at the NHL level, he should be playing a top 9 role, otherwise we're guilty of the same thing Pittsburgh was doing to him, in which case he'll flounder and again, we traded Pettersson for nothing.

I think the trade was a good one, as long as Sprong is handled correctly.  I'm wondering how the Ducks are going to manage that.

The Ducks are going to have to eventually make space for Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom and Terry. Maybe not this season or next season but eventually unless you just want them to linger in the AHL. Maybe Sprong gets showcased maybe Sprong replaces Silf if Silf is traded. Pettersson's ELC is up at the end of the season and maybe BM din't want to deal with another RFA.

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

The Ducks are going to have to eventually make space for Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom and Terry. Maybe not this season or next season but eventually unless you just want them to linger in the AHL. Maybe Sprong gets showcased maybe Sprong replaces Silf if Silf is traded. Pettersson's ELC is up at the end of the season and maybe BM din't want to deal with another RFA.

There could be an issue with playing time next season, but I'm not as worried about that.  Murray has plenty of time to make moves there, plus some guys will step up and others will fade or get hurt.  And the only one from your list who's relevant in that regard is Terry; the others play C or LW.  Mostly I'm concerned that Sprong or Kase or Aberg get wasted on the 4th line THIS season.  In Sprong's case, his issues so far, according to Pittsburgh people, have stemmed from being stuck on the 4th line where he wasn't put in a position to best use his skills.  If that happens here, the risk is that he never develops into the player we're hoping to get.  

Ideally, I'd call up Steel and Lundestrom, send Gibbons and Rowney packing, and roll four scoring lines (well, three scoring lines, plus the Kesler "brokendown but still a pain in your *** line").  But I don't think that's going to happen.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

There could be an issue with playing time next season, but I'm not as worried about that.  Murray has plenty of time to make moves there, plus some guys will step up and others will fade or get hurt.  And the only one from your list who's relevant in that regard is Terry; the others play C or LW.  Mostly I'm concerned that Sprong or Kase or Aberg get wasted on the 4th line THIS season.  In Sprong's case, his issues so far, according to Pittsburgh people, have stemmed from being stuck on the 4th line where he wasn't put in a position to best use his skills.  If that happens here, the risk is that he never develops into the player we're hoping to get.  

Ideally, I'd call up Steel and Lundestrom, send Gibbons and Rowney packing, and roll four scoring lines (well, three scoring lines, plus the Kesler "brokendown but still a pain in your *** line").  But I don't think that's going to happen.

I seriously doubt Kase gets put on the 4th line. I'm not looking into today's practice as anything more than just practice. As far as Sprong goes, we'll just have to wait and see what we got but I'm not expecting the moon with him. The Penguins coach said he needed to work on the defensive side of his game so maybe being on a line with Rowney will help that. If he steps up then maybe give him some minutes with Getzlaf. To me, this was just a simple trade of two players so I'm not going to over analyze it.

12 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

I seriously doubt Kase gets put on the 4th line. I'm not looking into today's practice as anything more than just practice. As far as Sprong goes, we'll just have to wait and see what we got but I'm not expecting the moon with him. The Penguins coach said he needed to work on the defensive side of his game so maybe being on a line with Rowney will help that. If he steps up then maybe give him some minutes with Getzlaf. To me, this was just a simple trade of two players so I'm not going to over analyze it.

What else are we supposed to analyze?  Sprong is almost certainly never going to be a good or even mediocre defensive player.  It just doesn't make sense to waste the plus skillset he does have with bad offensive players.

We'll see what happens.

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Is it really strange that we're fans of the Ducks and talking about a move that the Ducks made? 

No, it's really strange how some folks damn GMBM if he dares make a trade that is not for Sydney Crosby.  Talking about it is one thing.  Being able to write a script for it due to our predictable mix of reactions is another.

I'm agreeing with the point that, perhaps, this is just a sideways move to take advantage of depth to build depth elsewhere and may or may not be a huge move for the NHL squad.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

No, it's really strange how some folks damn GMBM if he dares make a trade that is not for Sydney Crosby.  Talking about it is one thing.  Being able to write a script for it due to our predictable mix of reactions is another.

I'm agreeing with the point that, perhaps, this is just a sideways move to take advantage of depth to build depth elsewhere and may or may not be a huge move for the NHL squad.

Who is damning Murray?