Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Pettersson Traded for Daniel Sprong

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, nieder said:

Complete waste putting Kase on the 4th line when he's been one of the only consistently dangerous looking forwards all season.

That’s the RC reward system. It’s twisted but it’s RCs way of showing appreciation. Tough Love I believe they call it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

That’s the RC reward system. It’s twisted but it’s RCs way of showing appreciation. Tough Love I believe they call it

tough love indeed...Why am I not surprise.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 4:43 PM, WolfgangDuck said:

Definitely that.  Ryan freaking Whitney.  I just puked a lil bit in my mouth.

Let's take a moment to remember how Whitney was traded straight up for Lubo Visnovsky only one year later. I have no idea how BM sold that to the Oilers.. actually now that I think about it, the fact that we're talking about the Kevin Lowe Oilers pretty much tells the whole story. Lubo didn't have a long stay in Anaheim but he honestly ended up becoming one of my favourite Ducks of all time so I'm alright with it. Losing Kunitz ahead of the 2009 playoffs certainly sucked though.

I wish they could've just worked out a Kunitz for Visnovsky deal in 2009 allowing them to bypass the Whitless Wonder altogether. No idea how the salary situation would've shaped up but imagine that 3 headed monster on defence with him joining Pronger and Niedermayer. Detroit was the only thing standing in Anaheim's way that season, even with the moves that backfired horribly at the deadline (Wisniewski.. barf). I know this is all fantasy talk here but damn. 

Edit: the second half of my post is dumb and I am dumb. Lubo had season ending surgery on his shoulder that year. Oops. 

Edited by PetrSykora
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Bob was looking for a defenseman?

Is this phase 1, trade medoicre D piece for winger. Phase 2, trade another winger for D piece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Let's take a moment to remember how Whitney was traded straight up for Lubo Visnovsky only one year later. I

Watching Lubo at the Kings game last night. That dude never, not had a smile on his face during the whole thing. And that got me thinking to Schnieder. Who also couldn't stop smiling. I liked those two.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poum said:

Watching Lubo at the Kings game last night. That dude never, not had a smile on his face during the whole thing. And that got me thinking to Schnieder. Who also couldn't stop smiling. I liked those two.

We need more of dat. Getzloaf is too snotty. And Kesler, don't get me started on that grumpy old cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Aksun said:

We need more of dat. Getzloaf is too snotty. And Kesler, don't get me started on that grumpy old cat.

Grumpy Kesler is one of my favorite things about this team. He's orange (team color). He's grumpy. If he hates Mondays and loves lasagna he's Garfield!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poum said:

Grumpy Kesler is one of my favorite things about this team. He's orange (team color). He's grumpy. If he hates Mondays and loves lasagna he's Garfield!

Yeah I was sarcastic with the Kes thing, we all love the guy even if he's not playing. In the WSH game near the end or in the other game, I can't really remember - when on the forecheck he just manhandled an opposing player in possession of the puck to the ice, freeing up the biscuit. Kes is fun.

But I'm serious about Getz being too serious, we need more Bryz-type people if we can't find more of the smiley ones. I guess captain's attitude rubs off on the rest of the team. Selanne's wide smile and pure emotion - eh, that was fun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, poum said:

I thought Bob was looking for a defenseman?

Is this phase 1, trade medoicre D piece for winger. Phase 2, trade another winger for D piece. 

I fully expect Silf to be included in a trade for a 3rd pairing veteran d-man.  

/cue Elton John's "The Circle of Life"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I fully expect Silf to be included in a trade for a 3rd pairing veteran d-man.  

/cue Elton John's "The Circle of Life"

I kinda hope he trades for a dinosaur on Saturday.

/cue Elton John's "Saturday Night Is Alright for Fighting".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I fully expect Silf to be included in a trade for a 3rd pairing veteran d-man.  

/cue Elton John's "The Circle of Life"

trading down for no apparent cap, salary, or performance benefit.  yay.

/cue Dethklok's "Helical Spiral Into Despair."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aksun said:

Yeah I was sarcastic with the Kes thing, we all love the guy even if he's not playing. In the WSH game near the end or in the other game, I can't really remember - when on the forecheck he just manhandled an opposing player in possession of the puck to the ice, freeing up the biscuit. Kes is fun.

But I'm serious about Getz being too serious, we need more Bryz-type people if we can't find more of the smiley ones. I guess captain's attitude rubs off on the rest of the team. Selanne's wide smile and pure emotion - eh, that was fun.

I'm pretty sure Todd Marchant is with the Ducks at some capacity. If there's a guy with a jovial attitude it's that guy. Unless he's on the ice, then he has the American Psycho glossed over stare.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Who is damning Murray?  

Well, you have been indicating the move will create waste at the 4th line and said things like "why trade for Sprong if he isn't a top 9".  The answer is "because maybe he's intended for elsewhere".  

You weren't alone in that, mind you, but since you asked...

The post to which I responded sarcastically in all caps was someone saying, "Hey, maybe this is just a sideways move" which I agreed with.  Our board doesn't seem to allow for that.  Every small move gets examined as if it is intended to be big, and I agree with the others on here who recognize it as less of a big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Well, you have been indicating the move will create waste at the 4th line and said things like "why trade for Sprong if he isn't a top 9".  The answer is "because maybe he's intended for elsewhere".  

You weren't alone in that, mind you, but since you asked...

The post to which I responded sarcastically in all caps was someone saying, "Hey, maybe this is just a sideways move" which I agreed with.  Our board doesn't seem to allow for that.  Every small move gets examined as if it is intended to be big, and I agree with the others on here who recognize it as less of a big deal.

Also there are many damning Murray...there's literally a 5-page topic doing just that lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Well, you have been indicating the move will create waste at the 4th line and said things like "why trade for Sprong if he isn't a top 9".  The answer is "because maybe he's intended for elsewhere".  

You weren't alone in that, mind you, but since you asked...

The post to which I responded sarcastically in all caps was someone saying, "Hey, maybe this is just a sideways move" which I agreed with.  Our board doesn't seem to allow for that.  Every small move gets examined as if it is intended to be big, and I agree with the others on here who recognize it as less of a big deal.

What you are talking about is hardly "damning."  There's a lot more nuance to the discussion than that.  And one thing I'll never understand is people on a fan comment board wondering why fans are making comments about things the team does.  That's the stated purpose of this website.  The Ducks made a trade, which is a relatively rare occurrence, even if it's a minor one.  I'd quibble with that, since any move that affects the NHL roster is important, but no, this isn't Matt Duchene and Kyle Turris.  However, Matt Duchene-level trades shouldn't be the bar to clear for having a discussion.  Why come to this site if we're not going to dissect moves like this?

As for the trade itself, from a purely player personnel standpoint, I like the move a lot.  It's a low ceiling d-man (which are easy to find and the Ducks already have in spades) for a high ceiling forward (something the Ducks don't have a lot of).  However, from a roster fit standpoint, particularly under the current coach, I have some concerns.  All of the red flags with Sprong, and the reason he's available in the first place, are potentially going to continue to be issues in Anaheim. 

First, he's not good in the defensive end, which is something our current coach is not very tolerant of.  Which brings us to the second thing, which is that Carlyle tends to drop players to the 4th line who aren't putting in the effort on the defensive end, and Sprong reportedly struggled with a lack of playing time and chances to play with offensively skilled players.  Maybe we solve that by dropping Aberg or Kase to the 4th line.  Yes, I do consider it wasteful to decrease the minutes and opportunity for offensively skilled and currently producing players on a team that's hurting for offense.  Maybe Carlyle has a plan to rotate these guys and get them all some time with the scoring lines, in which case, great.  Or maybe there will come a day when Carlyle rolls four scoring lines.  But it's hardly out of line or "damning" to raise those questions as potential roadblocks to Sprong reaching his potential.

Whether or not you think the deal is a good one, I will say again, where are we supposed to analyze it if not here?  If you're not interested in the analysis, then feel free not to read it.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, poum said:

I thought Bob was looking for a defenseman?

Is this phase 1, trade medoicre D piece for winger. Phase 2, trade another winger for D piece. 

Lets wait and find out tune in next time Same BM Channel.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, gorbachav5 said:

Someone is going to get "wasted."  Aberg has been the guy taking shifts on the 4th line in games, but he usually switches with Sherwood at some point.  Aberg, Kase, Sprong, or Silfverberg - one of them is going to be alongside Rowney and Gibbons.

Only one game in, but Kase transformed the 4th line tonight making it look dangerous at times, and Spronger played well with Henrique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Only one game in, but Kase transformed the 4th line tonight making it look dangerous at times, and Spronger played well with Henrique.

It's true, although that line would have been even better by having a decent hockey player on it in place of Rowney or Sherwood.  And I'm cautious to attribute much to this game since Chicago is hot garbage.  

Still, if Kase can run circles around 4th lines, this lineup might work well.  I'm interested to see how it looks on Friday.  But so far, so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It's true, although that line would have been even better by having a decent hockey player on it in place of Rowney or Sherwood.  And I'm cautious to attribute much to this game since Chicago is hot garbage.  

Still, if Kase can run circles around 4th lines, this lineup might work well.  I'm interested to see how it looks on Friday.  But so far, so good.

Had the same thought during the game. If that line had a more offensive center.....     Still, they played great.  Dominated that end of the rink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only saw brief moments of the 3rd but what I did see was Sprong taking a tripping penalty while trying to spring a breakaway. And I thought "Welcome to the Ducks! You'll fit right in."

Later I found out he scored earlier. Apparently he hasn't fully acclimated yet. We'll drown out that scoring inclination out of him yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Had the same thought during the game. If that line had a more offensive center.....     Still, they played great.  Dominated that end of the rink.

Maaaybe Steel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if Sprong is/was the answer, but last night was the first time I saw 4 dangerous lines. If he is/was the catalyst for this, then I say good move and welcome aboard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Animal24 said:

I'm not sure if Sprong is/was the answer, but last night was the first time I saw 4 dangerous lines. If he is/was the catalyst for this, then I say good move and welcome aboard.

It was nice to see.  The fourth line was only dangerous because Kase wouldn't let anyone else touch the puck for entire shifts, which is wise when your linemates are Rowney and Sherwood.  I'm curious to see how that line looks against a deeper team.  Hopefully Sherwood and Rowney can just dig pucks off the boards and out of the defensive zone where Magic Man Kase is waiting to do his thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after seeing sprong last night,  I can see why the ducks traded for him.

unfortunately,  I could also see why the penguins let him go.

he will need some work fitting within the team's offensive AND

defensive systems.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...