The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Pettersson Traded for Daniel Sprong

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Last night, his poor line change along with the two other forwards on his line resulted in a goal.

Updated it for you so we didn't go down the path of selective memory.

Same with Lindholm's centering pass to COusins that Miller somehow saved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Yeah. I was fine with this trade when it happened and for a while afterwards while Sprong was scoring. But when the scoring dried up its clear to see that he's not only one-dimensional, he's a flat out liability defensively, and sometimes even with the puck when he makes terrible turnovers. I feel like he's going to be gone in the off-season which will be a shame if the return is not good as we basically would have lost Pettersson for nothing.

The thing that gets me the most about this trade is how Sprong is basically the exact same player we already had in Aberg minus the part where Aberg cost nothing to pick up.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Updated it for you so we didn't go down the path of selective memory.

Same with Lindholm's centering pass to COusins that Miller somehow saved.

No selective memory and interesting that HE was benched.  Terry was right next to the bench so easy off. Henrique was about Center ice. Sprong was farthest away. 

Not sure why Lindholm has been added to this topic but yes he made a bad pass. I believe I mentioned in the game day post that Miller saved him.  If you want to discuss every mistake every player makes every game a new topic could be started. 

I added to this topic because I saw Stephens tweet and I hadn’t noticed during the game that Sprong had been benched the entire 3rd period.

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Not sure why Lindholm has been added to this topic but yes he made a bad pass. I believe I mentioned in the game day post that Miller saved him.  If you want to discuss every mistake every player makes every game a new topic could be started.

Kind of answered the question.  He was added because he made a similar mistake to what was pointed out.

It didn't look like Sprong had a particularly problematic game, but GMHCBM has certainly made points to many.  

4 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

No selective memory and interesting that HE was benched.  Terry was right next to the bench so easy off. Henrique was about Center ice. Sprong was farthest away. 

I added to this topic because I saw Stephens tweet and I hadn’t noticed during the game that Sprong had been benched the entire 3rd period.

His last shift ended with 8:47 left in the 2nd period. That's a LONG time to be benched in a game, especially a meaningless game. GMIHCBM must have been really ticked off at him for something.

17 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

His last shift ended with 8:47 left in the 2nd period. That's a LONG time to be benched in a game, especially a meaningless game. GMIHCBM must have been really ticked off at him for something.

I hadn't even noticed. I brought up the line change and PP turnover because they were 2 that quickly came to mind when I read @icemancometh's post that Sprong was sitting on the bench the entire 3rd period. Since, as mentioned above, Lindholm had an atrocious turnover yet he had the most TOI of all players. Terry/Henrique were part of the bad line change yet they played the entire game. The Ducks' duel hatted leader must be seeing a lot more than the 2 mistakes I mentioned. It will be interesting to see if he plays tonight or when he does play again.

Ha, what would it currently take to even trade back for pettersson? Sprong plus 3rd? 2nd? Lol this hasn't become a very good trade for us. 

28 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Ha, what would it currently take to even trade back for pettersson? Sprong plus 3rd? 2nd? Lol this hasn't become a very good trade for us. 

yep, seems like a bad trade...

12 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Ducks starters: John Gibson, Josh Manson, Hampus Lindholm, Rickard Rakell, Sam Steel, Jakob Silfverberg. Scratches: Brendan Guhle (upper body), Daniel Sprong (coach's decision), Devin Shore (thigh/knee), Derek Grant (lower body).

We might not see him in a Ducks jersey again.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

We might not see him in a Ducks jersey again.

I hope that isn't the case. I mean how much leeway has Ritchie been given to improve himself? Getting rid of Sprong wouldn't be a good move.

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

I hope that isn't the case. I mean how much leeway has Ritchie been given to improve himself? Getting rid of Sprong wouldn't be a good move.

Agreed. Let’s see what the new HC can do with him before trading him off for less and losing more value in that Petterson trade. 

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Agreed. Let’s see what the new HC can do with him before trading him off for less and losing more value in that Petterson trade. 

If Kase is back healthy next season, where does Sprong even get an opportunity under a new coach? Certainly not ahead of Silf, Terry, Kase and Perry. Sprong is not a 4th liner, and it’s more likely his value goes down the longer he stays here buried behind all of those guys on the depth chart,

2 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I second that.....Ducks should keep him and see what the Ducks 9th Head Coach will do with him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

I guess I'm the only one who thought Petterson wasn't very good.

You weren't.  But he's performing awfully well now for a third pairing guy.  Like a lot of other players (Montour included, in my opinion), Carlyle's coaching really made Pettersson look bad.  The hope, if you can call it that, is that his coaching also made Sprong look bad, and we'll have hope of salvaging something out of Sprong with a new coach next season.  But as of right now, it looks like Murray traded a vacuum cleaner for a broom because Carlyle was using the vacuum cleaner to do his laundry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If Kase is back healthy next season, where does Sprong even get an opportunity under a new coach? Certainly not ahead of Silf, Terry, Kase and Perry. Sprong is not a 4th liner, and it’s more likely his value goes down the longer he stays here buried behind all of those guys on the depth chart,

If we hadn't re-signed Silf...

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Often a Trade to free up some Cap space would do the Ducks Good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

42 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

... Sprong would still be buried behind Kase, Terry, and Perry on RW, and we'd be missing our most consistent forward in Silf.

Sprong does not have the skill set to be a 4th liner, or even a 3rd liner. He's got a very good NHL-level shot, but he needs to be in a top-6 scoring role to use it. The problem is that the rest of his game is AHL-level, which is why he's currently roaming the halls at the Ponda Center wearing a "Kick Me, I'm a career minor leaguer" sign (placed there by his new head coach, no less!). The real shame is that he's not waivers exempt, because he could really benefit from more playing time with the Gulls to see if the rest of his game can be improved. But as it stands, he's going to end up on waivers if he stays here next season and so GMBM needs to cut bait and see what he can get back in value for him this summer. Maybe the Rangers or Flyers would like him. He seems like a great candidate for a Metropolitan boomerang trade.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

... Sprong would still be buried behind Kase, Terry, and Perry on RW, and we'd be missing our most consistent forward in Silf.

Sprong does not have the skill set to be a 4th liner, or even a 3rd liner. He's got a very good NHL-level shot, but he needs to be in a top-6 scoring role to use it. The problem is that the rest of his game is AHL-level, which is why he's currently roaming the halls at the Ponda Center wearing a "Kick Me, I'm a career minor leaguer" sign (placed there by his new head coach, no less!). The real shame is that he's not waivers exempt, because he could really benefit from more playing time with the Gulls to see if the rest of his game can be improved. But as it stands, he's going to end up on waivers if he stays here next season and so GMBM needs to cut bait and see what he can get back in value for him this summer. Maybe the Rangers or Flyers would like him. He seems like a great candidate for a Metropolitan boomerang trade.

Sprong only doesn't have the skillset to be a 4th liner if you treat the 4th line like dumping ground for guys who shouldn't be in the NHL but have "grit" and play tough and all that garbage that the Ducks have used as an excuse under Carlyle to roll three lines.  A novel idea would be to have a guy who can score on the 4th line.  Heck, let's put three of them out there, just for fun, and see what happens!

Silvferberg should have been traded for an asset and either re-signed in the offseason if the Ducks wanted him that badly and things didn't go their way at the draft, or they should have left his cap space free and maybe freed up a bit more to sign a higher skilled player.  Silf is fine, good even, but re-signing him doesn't make the team any better than it is right now, and probably makes it worse in three years when age catches up.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Maybe a new coach would want to implement 4 lines that can score. Sprong was on the 4th line at times this season and did score. I mean at some point, the Ducks are going to have log jams on LW, C and RW moving forward with talented players. 

21 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

You weren't.  But he's performing awfully well now for a third pairing guy.  

A lot of people perform better on a better team.  And while he's eating up a lot of minutes, I don't see much else.

Edited by gotchabari

22 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

A lot of people perform better on a better team.  And while he's eating up a lot of minutes, I don't see much else.

You don't see better scoring rates (by 50%), better posession stats (even relative, so it's not just being on a better team), or being trusted with more responsibility (his defensive zone starts are up by a lot) and thriving?  You don't see any of that?  Pettersson looks so much better on Pittsburgh, and it's not like he drank some magic potion on the flight from Anaheim to Pittsburgh.  He was completely mismanaged by Carlyle and is now on a team that knows how to use him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

You don't see better scoring rates (by 50%), better posession stats (even relative, so it's not just being on a better team), or being trusted with more responsibility (his defensive zone starts are up by a lot) and thriving?  You don't see any of that?  Pettersson looks so much better on Pittsburgh, and it's not like he drank some magic potion on the flight from Anaheim to Pittsburgh.  He was completely mismanaged by Carlyle and is now on a team that knows how to use him.

Vatanen’s production took a nice dip under Carlyle also. Someone should have hidden Murray’s phone while RC was coach so that he couldn’t make trade calls.

On 3/7/2019 at 2:01 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Where does Terry even fit in? Does Murray wants to go with most expensive 4th line in NHL history with Perry and Kesler lol? Murray said after trading Montour that these moves may not make sense now but will over a bit of time.

Absolutely agree about Sprong and we haven’t even discussed Sherwood, who is more of a 4th line style of player.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

8 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

This, and he’s also just continuing to develop as a professional hockey player. There’s a reason they say it takes 300 games to know how good a defenseman will be. D-men just take longer to develop. And don’t forget MP played his whole life on European ice. He’s been playing on North American ice for less than two years. He’ll just get more and more comfortable as time goes on.

• Like 1

I tuned into the Leafs-Oilers game just in time to see an angry Don Cherry (in a pink polka dot suit) calling out Sprong for being "disrespectful" and "embarrassing Price" cause he celebrated a goal by gesturing to the fans. I was already hoping Sprong would pan out but now I need him to become a 20 goal scorer.

• Like 3

Just now, PetrSykora said:

I tuned into the Leafs-Oilers game just in time to see an angry Don Cherry (in a pink polka dot suit) calling out Sprong for being "disrespectful" and "embarrassing Price" cause he celebrated a goal by gesturing to the fans. I was already hoping Sprong would pan out but now I need him to become a 20 goal scorer.

He's half way to 20 now. Give him a full season and I think it's an easy 20. Dude is a sniper. Cherry can go suck on a lemon. Price should be embarrassed by letting in 8 THAT's EIGHT goals.

• Like 2

So sprong, since the trade is tied for third in goals along with.... kase. What? That just makes me really see how bad our scoring had been this season. Not taking anything away from those guys, but the guy who had a season ending injury is STILL tied for third in goals?! Lol

• Like 2