Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saskduckfan

Ducks claim G Chad Johnson

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, saskduckfan said:

Murray hoping for another waiver gem. Ducks have claimed Chad Johnson off waivers from the Blues. Must not have good news on the Miller front.

edit - Ryan Miller out 6 weeks. Rakell sprained ankle, no time table for his return.

https://www.tsn.ca/ducks-claim-g-johnson-miller-out-six-weeks-1.1224544

Yeah.  I think this was definitely timing and not dumpster diving.  Basically anyone with NHL experience that had a "G" after their name was going to be claimed.

He's not great, but he's not terrible, either.  And he's definitely better than Coreau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind this move at all. BM had to and I'm sure there are worse goalies out there. 

Too bad for Miller. Hopefully he comes back just as strong so he can break the record. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What really bugs me about this is Hall basically pushed the Ducks player into Miller. Tired of opposing teams targeting our goalies. Later during overtime Devils player on a break away can be seen extending his leg to clip Gibson as he crossses the crease. No call of course. Luckily Gibson is okay.

I hope Miller comes back strong. He deserves to break the American goalie all time win record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson is an okay NHL backup. But he's a great #3 to bring up. The next Berra/Khudobin. Nice add. Then when Miller comes back we send him down. He gets claimed or he plays with the Gulls and we have some goaltending depth later in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Good waiver pickup.  Johnson is competent, and better than a minor league guy.

Very True. Johnson was the best option available. I’d say that the Ducks need much more than competent goaltending since Miller has been the best back-up in the league. I wonder how many games that Johnson will get. 6-10? My worry is that they’lI overtax Gibson....more than they already have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, saskduckfan said:

Murray hoping for another waiver gem. Ducks have claimed Chad Johnson off waivers from the Blues. Must not have good news on the Miller front.

edit - Ryan Miller out 6 weeks. Rakell sprained ankle, no time table for his return.

https://www.tsn.ca/ducks-claim-g-johnson-miller-out-six-weeks-1.1224544

Good waiver Pickup by the Ducks....With Miller out for six Weeks is not Good. Our team needs a capable Backup Goalie in December...Welcome to the Ducks Ocho I mean Chad Johnson.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

What really bugs me about this is Hall basically pushed the Ducks player into Miller. Tired of opposing teams targeting our goalies. Later during overtime Devils player on a break away can be seen extending his leg to clip Gibson as he crossses the crease. No call of course. Luckily Gibson is okay.

I hope Miller comes back strong. He deserves to break the American goalie all time win record.

It's not news that the other teams run into the duck's goaltenders with impunity - nothing happens and there is no fear of retribution.  To quote Bricktop " a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent". (Snatch)  In other words, if you touch our goalkeeper there will be consequences.  It doesn't happen.  Heck, there are seldom penalties called when they do it.  But Kessler breezes by the goalkeeper at the edge of the blue paint against Carolina and he is in the box for 2 minutes...

Couple that with the number of shots the goalkeepers have to face on a regular basis and it must be tough for them or they REALLY love their job...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CJ had had hot streaks in both Buffalo and Calgary, not a bad backup.  He's had cold streaks too of course. But based on the last few seasons, he seems to just need confidence and he plays well (see Bernier as a comparable goalie).  Wouldn't want him to start more than a third of your games, but reliable enough otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From an OCR interview:

Quote

I have had some of my better games (in Anaheim). I know a couple years back I had a career high for saves. I always loved playing in his arena and playing against this team.

Good news! He already knows this team will be actively fighting against him and seeing a high shots against total. He'll fit right in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

It's been a while since Gibson was injured last time, he is overdue for his quarterly norm. I feel CJ will get a lot of action soon.

Just curious to see IF Ducks will give Chad a chance to shine...maybe if there is B2B game situation.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 10:27 AM, MooseDuck said:

Just curious to see IF Ducks will give Chad a chance to shine...maybe if there is B2B game situation.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

If Miller comes back in the expected 6 weeks, the Ducks will only have 2 sets of back to backs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...