Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChicagoDucksFan

Is Kesler healthy?

79 posts in this topic

So, I really have not been able to watch many Ducks games this season (work has been insane), but it looks like Kesler has been in almost every game but has pretty much no stats to speak of.

Something like 6 points and a -15 or so.

Anyone in the know (or at least who has been able to see them play) have any info on how he looks or if he is actually supposed to be healthy at this point?

Thanks much!

he's healthy but working through an ongoing rehab of his hips.  unclear if he's reached a plateau.  

2 hours ago, ChicagoDucksFan said:

So, I really have not been able to watch many Ducks games this season (work has been insane), but it looks like Kesler has been in almost every game but has pretty much no stats to speak of.

Something like 6 points and a -15 or so.

Anyone in the know (or at least who has been able to see them play) have any info on how he looks or if he is actually supposed to be healthy at this point?

Thanks much!

His mind is in the game, but his body wont deliver.

OK Thanks for the information folks.

And yeah, mentally Kesler is one of the toughest warriors out there.  I really wish he had simply skipped last season and gotten back to full strength.  I have to think the combination of pushing it last season, all the stuff he had to do to keep playing, plus now trying to push through it again this season does not bode well at all for his longevity.

He's still put out there quite a bit for defensive situations.  

He's been creating a little more offensively lately, and has started getting back in front of the goalie, but now that he's improved a little there he's snake-bit like everyone else, as are his linemates.   

1 person likes this

yeah.  as a group, they aren't generating high-percentage chances (at least, not as high as we'd like).

No, he's not.  I'm certainly not a skating expert, but it looks like he has no ability to quickly change directions and get a good first step going in the other direction.  And this makes total sense for a guy coming off of major hip surgery.  I don't notice any change in his effort level, but he's lost the quickness that allowed him both to forecheck well and to win pucks in the defensive zone.  I have a feeling we're not getting that Kesler back.

30 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

No, he's not.  I'm certainly not a skating expert, but it looks like he has no ability to quickly change directions and get a good first step going in the other direction.  And this makes total sense for a guy coming off of major hip surgery.  I don't notice any change in his effort level, but he's lost the quickness that allowed him both to forecheck well and to win pucks in the defensive zone.  I have a feeling we're not getting that Kesler back.

Yeah thats generally what I was thinking, and afraid I was going to hear.

Thanks again for the info

34 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know.  I paid particular attention to his shadowing of McJesus on Sunday, and he kept up just fine, it seemed.

He wasn't on the ice for his only goal and his other good non-PP chances.

3 people like this

Since when was the last time Kesler scored a Goal or contributed...I appericate it but He needs to start scoring.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

16 hours ago, gotchabari said:

I don't know.  I paid particular attention to his shadowing of McJesus on Sunday, and he kept up just fine, it seemed.

He wasn't on the ice for his only goal and his other good non-PP chances.

He kept up just fine when he was skating non-stop, but he doesn't have the ability to change directions quickly.  This has been true all season, not just one game.  And it's evident in his point totals.  He can work fine as a guy who's allowing the opposition to have the puck a lot but still has the instincts and toughness to keep goals out of the net, but doesn't have the ability to turn the puck over and quickly move to offense.  Or, when he's there, to sustain any sort of offensive pressure.  He's a decent third line center at this point.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, gotchabari said:

He's still put out there quite a bit for defensive situations.  

He's been creating a little more offensively lately, and has started getting back in front of the goalie, but now that he's improved a little there he's snake-bit like everyone else, as are his linemates.   

I actually think Kesler has been somewhat unlucky with his scoring because it's not as though he's generating absolutely nothing....he's obviously less effective than before the injury but I feel like he should have more than 6 points. But I could say the same about half of the team. The Henrique/Kase/Ritchie line seems to generate 3-4 grade A chances every game but barely converts any of them.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, nieder said:

I actually think Kesler has been somewhat unlucky with his scoring because it's not as though he's generating absolutely nothing....he's obviously less effective than before the injury but I feel like he should have more than 6 points. But I could say the same about half of the team. The Henrique/Kase/Ritchie line seems to generate 3-4 grade A chances every game but barely converts any of them.

Rakell has only 5 goals. Henrique has only 8. Ritchie has only 5. And none of those guys have even close to the defensive responsibilities that Kesler does. IMO there's too much attention being paid to Kesler's scoring totals right now when almost all of the forwards, especially the guys who are supposed to score, have been unable to find the back of the net. 

4 people like this

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

He kept up just fine when he was skating non-stop, but he doesn't have the ability to change directions quickly.  This has been true all season, not just one game.  And it's evident in his point totals.  He can work fine as a guy who's allowing the opposition to have the puck a lot but still has the instincts and toughness to keep goals out of the net, but doesn't have the ability to turn the puck over and quickly move to offense.  Or, when he's there, to sustain any sort of offensive pressure.  He's a decent third line center at this point.

Right on !! I've noticed that he can't seem to make the sharp cuts and turns that he used to be able to do with ease. His mind is still in the game - unfortunately his brain is writing a check that his body can't cash. He may get better OR this might be as good as he will be. So sad - a true warrior 

1 person likes this

Hip surgery is the kiss of death for a hockey player. Like rotator cuff surgery for a baseball player. 

1 hour ago, Myuyum said:

Wealthy yes.

You mean....Healthy/Well?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, Jiggy2win said:

Hip surgery is the kiss of death for a hockey player. Like rotator cuff surgery for a baseball player. 

Unless your name is Ryan Kesler. He had hip surgeries in 2007 and 2011 too. 

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Unless your name is Ryan Kesler. He had hip surgeries in 2007 and 2011 too. 

He’s also 34 and at a point of natural decline. Adding a major hip surgery definitely stacks the odds against him being anything close to to what he was. I’m not optimistic given what we’ve seen so far.

I think that his offensive production needs to be focused on simply because how much he gets paid and the Ducks need for scoring. I don’t think he’s been very effective defensively either this season. Other players aren’t putting up up great numbers but their contracts still aren’t nearly as bad a value as Kesler’s.

Cindy with no SOG tonight.  Several games in a row where his assigned target has been quiet.

He isn't breaking away for goals, but he isn't getting run off the ice, either.  55% team leading faceoff, also.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Cindy with no SOG tonight.  Several games in a row where his assigned target has been quiet.

He isn't breaking away for goals, but he isn't getting run off the ice, either.  55% team leading faceoff, also.

No SOG for Crosby is one way to spin it positively but let's be honest, that wasn't a good game for Kesler at all. Crosby picked that line apart and was placing the puck in dangerous areas for his linemates 30 seconds into the game. The Penguins broadcast had a compilation of Kesler following him around the rink and it showed how effectively Crosby was able to shield the puck and use his passing to exploit the space created by having one player chase him around all night. If it wasn't for Gibson standing on his head, Crosby could have had 4+ points on the night. It's not entirely fair to point a finger at Kesler for tonight's debacle, especially when the fourth line collectively had one of the most woeful games we've seen from an overall unit this season, and with how Larsson, Montour and Mason's errors basically handed the Penguins the game on a platter. That said, it also doesn't feel right to pat him on the back when Crosby basically still dominated the game. 

3 people like this

I noticed that after Kestler came back into the game he was skating and all of a sudden it looked like his right hip ( or some lower body part ) caught and he had to " kick start " if again and still wasn't skating smoothly. I'll bet his hip is going down the drain and it will not  effect hm on face-offs but will on quick turns and trying to get up to speed

15 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

No SOG for Crosby is one way to spin it positively but let's be honest, that wasn't a good game for Kesler at all. Crosby picked that line apart and was placing the puck in dangerous areas for his linemates 30 seconds into the game. The Penguins broadcast had a compilation of Kesler following him around the rink and it showed how effectively Crosby was able to shield the puck and use his passing to exploit the space created by having one player chase him around all night. If it wasn't for Gibson standing on his head, Crosby could have had 4+ points on the night. It's not entirely fair to point a finger at Kesler for tonight's debacle, especially when the fourth line collectively had one of the most woeful games we've seen from an overall unit this season, and with how Larsson, Montour and Mason's errors basically handed the Penguins the game on a platter. That said, it also doesn't feel right to pat him on the back when Crosby basically still dominated the game. 

The openings created by having someone shadowing him is a coaching decision.  I was merely saying Kesler was healthy enough to do so.

Whether it's a good idea or not is not his decision and is on RC.

1 person likes this

I healthy scratch for 2-3 games would be beneficial to him and to this team. First, it would send a statement that nobody is untouchable, including veterans. Second, it would let Kesler to watch some games from the press box, refresh his mind and relax his body a bit. Any good coach would do it to him; not sure about RC tough.

14 hours ago, wataduk said:

No

Yes. Or, if it hurts his ego , let him sit a few weeks due to "lower body injury".

On 1/13/2019 at 1:16 PM, FanSince1993 said:

Yes. Or, if it hurts his ego , let him sit a few weeks due to "lower body injury".

Lol I was actually answering, in the shortest way possible, the OP's question of whether or not Kesler was healthy.

Not disagreeing with you.

6 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

What would be the effect on his cap if Kesler retired right now?

According to the CapFriendly calculator

Ryan Kesler Buyout Details

Cost Calculations
BUYOUT DATE BASE SALARY REMAINING S.BONUS REMAINING YEARS REMAINING BUYOUT LENGTH AGE BUYOUT RATIO TOTAL COST TOTAL SAVINGS ANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2019 $20,025,000 $0 3 6 34 2/3 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $2,225,000
Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT ACTUAL COST SAVINGS FINAL CAP HIT
2019-20 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2020-21 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2021-22 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2022-23 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2023-24 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2024-25 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
TOTAL $20,025,000 $20,625,000 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $13,950,000

1 minute ago, perry_mvp said:

According to the CapFriendly calculator

Ryan Kesler Buyout Details

Cost Calculations
BUYOUT DATE BASE SALARY REMAINING S.BONUS REMAINING YEARS REMAINING BUYOUT LENGTH AGE BUYOUT RATIO TOTAL COST TOTAL SAVINGS ANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2019 $20,025,000 $0 3 6 34 2/3 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $2,225,000
Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT ACTUAL COST SAVINGS FINAL CAP HIT
2019-20 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2020-21 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2021-22 $6,675,000 $6,875,000 $2,225,000 $4,450,000 $2,425,000
2022-23 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2023-24 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
2024-25 $0 $0 $2,225,000 -$2,225,000 $2,225,000
TOTAL $20,025,000 $20,625,000 $13,350,000 $6,675,000 $13,950,000

thanks... If he retired today, there would still be a cap hit?