The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
ChicagoDucksFan

Is Kesler healthy?

19 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

And there it is. The first piece to fall to pave the way to retirement or long term injury. My theory might not be too far fetched. 

Nah, just starting physical therapy a few months early to be ready to start 2019-2020.

Or, if you like conspiracy theories, its a ploy to make sure he doesn't get bought out in June. If he's determined by team doctors to be unfit to play now, how do they change that diagnosis in June when the buy-out window rolls around? It'd be darn near impossible. Whereas if he finished the rest of the season, they could say that he was still healthy enough to play at the end of the season so he'd be healthy enough to be bought out.

Knowing what a warrior Kesler is, I think it's the first sentence I typed, but this conspiracy theory is not that far-fetched either.

• Like 2

Shut it down, Kes. I give him credit for gutting through the injury and getting to 1,000, but at some point he's a detriment to himself and the team. I don't think rest will really be much of a factor ... at some point you're just a 35-year old with bad hips that can't skate. Father Time is undefeated for a reason. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ritz10hock said:

Shut it down, Kes. I give him credit for gutting through the injury and getting to 1,000, but at some point he's a detriment to himself and the team. I don't think rest will really be much of a factor ... at some point you're just a 35-year old with bad hips that can't skate. Father Time is undefeated for a reason. 

AGREE  - it seems likely that Kes has been working  VERY VERY HARD to get himself back in shape. He accomplished a fantastic goal -1000 games played in the NHL. I have to believe that his motivation from now on will be more difficult to maintain. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on LTIR or have his contract bought out. Either of those options would be better than trying once again to recover those gift that he once had. We all wish him well !!! IMHO

7 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

AGREE  - it seems likely that Kes has been working  VERY VERY HARD to get himself back in shape. He accomplished a fantastic goal -1000 games played in the NHL. I have to believe that his motivation from now on will be more difficult to maintain. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on LTIR or have his contract bought out. Either of those options would be better than trying once again to recover those gift that he once had. We all wish him well !!! IMHO

Long Rest will do him good...nothing against him but we and our Ducks know Health is really Important.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

12 hours ago, DUCKSDOC said:

Well he’s already given us that article and communicated to the fans that way so that does pave the way to LTIR. Again I really do think that one of the main intentions of releasing that article was to give the fans a heads up that he was headed toward that direction. Kess is the type of guy that’s works hard and now that he’s been hurting probably wouldn’t feel right to him if he just went in LTIR without first communicating in some way that his body can’t take it anymore to his fans beforehand. Kess has always been that type of first class kinda guy. If he does go on LTIR (or retire) he will be missed. One of my fav Ducks to play on this team ever. Such a stud of player.

Do what you gottta do Kess-Boss, you will always be awesome!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ritz10hock said:

Agree. Retirement would be the best option for him and his team. I wonder if Bob has guts to tell this to Kesler at last day exit meeting.

Edited by FanSince1993

1 minute ago, FanSince1993 said:

Agree. Retirement would be the best option for him and his team. I wonder if Bob has guts to tell this to Kesler at last day exit meeting.

I may be wrong, but if he retires, doesn't he forfeit his remaining salary? Go on LTIR until his contract runs out. He still gets paid and while on LTIR the team gets cap relief. No?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

I may be wrong, but if he retires, doesn't he forfeit his remaining salary? Go on LTIR until his contract runs out. He still gets paid and while on LTIR the team gets cap relief. No?

Yes, if he retires, he'll forfeit his remaining salary. He doesn't need money, he made more than enough during his career for himself and his family. What he needs to do now is to take care of his health. LTIR is an option for him, but it doesn't help team. Ducks would be on hook for 3 more years of his salary, won't be able to sign valuable free agents  and won't save much on salary cap. If I was GM, I would try to convince him to retire.

2 hours ago, dukitup said:

No chance he retires and forfeits the money.

More likely he’ll tape all of these messages to the walls of his home gym and use them as motivation to prove everyone wrong next season. That’s just who Kes is.

2 hours ago, dukitup said:

Yeah, but as stated above there is no way he's retiring and giving up almost $20 mil. LTIR or a buyout would be more likely. LTIR doesn't provide the Ducks with a whole ton of cap relief or flexibility though. The Ducks can potentially LTIR him in the offseason while teams are allow to exceed the salary cap a 10% but need to be cap compliant by start the season from my understanding. Also, if he's on LTIR and the Ducks are operating above the salary cap, then the Ducks can not accrue any future cap savings.

26 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

No chance he retires and forfeits the money.

More likely he’ll tape all of these messages to the walls of his home gym and use them as motivation to prove everyone wrong next season. That’s just who Kes is.

No doubt that Kesler has the drive and determination to try and get back, but after reading that SI article, I don't know how much longer his body will allow him to do that while also allowing him to have a good quality of life after hockey. It's just bonkers what he's gone through and is still seeming to go through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

Yes, if he retires, he'll forfeit his remaining salary. He doesn't need money, he made more than enough during his career for himself and his family. What he needs to do now is to take care of his health. LTIR is an option for him, but it doesn't help team. Ducks would be on hook for 3 more years of his salary, won't be able to sign valuable free agents  and won't save much on salary cap. If I was GM, I would try to convince him to retire.

LOL. Warren Buffet doesn't need more either and yet he’s still out there bank rolling the deals. We all want as much of that green paper we can get our hands on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

What?! Who in their right mind would just do the team a solid? It's a business, he doesn't owe them anything. He's taken a beating for the team. LTIR is what he's going to do IF he decides to hang them up. He may still make a push in the off season, I think he may attempt it, and if it doesn't work out he will hang them up after that. We can't buy out an injured players contract. 

I've also been wondering though. The 2003 draft class is coming to the end of their playing careers. I would have to think it's in the back of Perry's and Getz mind, especially seeing the other guys on the team from the same class. 

• Like 3

So:  He retires, after getting strong hints that he will be employed at a salary that, Miracle, is close or better than the amount of the remaining contract.  Is this really a difficult concept?

He doesn't have to do anything just collect checks. Now it's possible he may agree to do some kind of a position with the same guaranteed salary if offered to officially retire but I'm not really sure what that would even be. He'd be making more than the HC to do some scouting work? Idk I guess it'd be better than nothing.

I could be wrong but doesn't the team get some kind of insurance to pay part of the salary while on LTIR? Can someone who knows chime in on this?

Anyway, it's a moot point right now without him actually saying he might be done. I still think he's going to make a push to attempt to play next year, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to just quit without really taking another shot at it. 

5 hours ago, SteveinTamarindo said:

So:  He retires, after getting strong hints that he will be employed at a salary that, Miracle, is close or better than the amount of the remaining contract.  Is this really a difficult concept?

I’m sure that the league will frown upon that as obvious cap circumvention and wouldn’t allow it to happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Kesler earned that money and the contract was agreed to with the knowledge that this might happen.  Yes, him retiring would be better for the team, but I am 100% against the GM asking him to do that.  If Kesler feels like it's best, so be it, but the right thing for the organization to do is to put him on LTIR (assuming he's really hurt too badly to play) and pay him.  Kesler put his body on the line every night, and would probably still do it if the doctors would let him.  If he wants to retire and give that money back, that's very generous of him.  But I won't think any less of him if he doesn't.  That's his money.

Edited by gorbachav5
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Well he’s already given us that article and communicated to the fans that way so that does pave the way to LTIR. Again I really do think that one of the main intentions of releasing that article was to give the fans a heads up that he was headed toward that direction. Kess is the type of guy that’s works hard and now that he’s been hurting probably wouldn’t feel right to him if he just went in LTIR without first communicating in some way that his body can’t take it anymore to his fans beforehand. Kess has always been that type of first class kinda guy. If he does go on LTIR (or retire) he will be missed. One of my fav Ducks to play on this team ever. Such a stud of player.

Do what you gottta do Kess-Boss, you will always be awesome!!

AMEN - a real class act - wish we had him earlier in his career.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, FanSince1993 said:

Sheldon Souray signed a 3 year $11M contract with Anaheim. He played 44 games and suffered an off-season injury and never played again. He retired after his contract expired, 2 years later. Expecting BM to try to convince Kesler to retire would be disrespectful to a guy who gave everything he had for this team, including playing injured until he no longer could.

• Like 2

The team could convince him to retire AND then offer him the job as Moderator of " Between the Zambonies" for  the same amount of money - that way  we would ALL be HAPPY. IMHO

• Like 2

Just now, DUCKSDOC said:

The team could convince him to retire AND then offer him the job as Moderator of " Between the Zambonies" for  the same amount of money - that way  we would ALL be HAPPY. IMHO

I wont be happy until he gets Perry on that. I mean for gods sakes, Perry was on crutches and was still able to elude Kesler.

The Ducks nominated Eaves as their candidate for the Masterton trophy today. I don't have a problem with that considering everything he's been through in his career but I think Kesler easily deserves the award outright. Regardless of how you feel about how he performed, grinding through 60 games and playing those insane Carlyle matchup minutes in his awful condition was an incredible feat for Kesler. If setting a goal of 1000 games and doing everything in his power to reach it in spite of his increasingly broken body doesn't embody "perseverance, sportsmanship & dedication to hockey", nothing else will.

• Like 7

^Second that

At this point, I think one just has to take the wait and see approach when it comes to Kesler. If his hip bothers him still in everyday normal activities in the summer like the article described, then I think he has to take that as a sign that it's time. With that said, I am definitely rooting for him to make it back and find a way to play without his hip bothering him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Agree. Ducks have an article also, and they mention the "lengthy" recovery that's necessary. Let's just hope it improves his daily life. 

29 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Hip replacement would have been the end of Kesler. He elected to go with hip resurfacing so he can try to play again.

Same doctor who did Ed Jovanovski's hip resurfacing procedure did Kesler's too. Jovanovski has his procedure done in April 2013 and his first game back after the surgery and recovery was nine months later in January 2014. Chances are the surgery and recovery plan have advanced by leaps and bounds since then too. I don't think Kes is going to try to beat the timeline, but he certainly knows what the expectations are since others have gone through it.

You're welcome to bet against Kesler in this. I'm not. He's Ryan Friggen Kesler. He'll be back. And he'll win the Masterton in 2021. Count on it.

• Like 2

Kesler's done.  It was a good career.  I wish more of it could have been with the Ducks, but oh well.  He gave it everything he had.