The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChicagoDucksFan

Is Kesler healthy?

Another great article in the Athletic by Eric Stephens regarding Kesler today (I highly recommend a subscription). Lots of great quotes from Jovanovski, Bob Murray, and Kesler's agent in this one, but the money quote IMO is from Jovanovski:

“I don’t bet against Kes,” Jovanovski said. “Once he gets this done and the mobility he’s going to have again, there’s no reason why he can’t give it a go. Obviously, there’s risks that comes with it. But I think if you’re well aware of all that’s surrounding it, you prepare the right way and you put yourself in the best position to succeed – he’s going to feel great.

Jovanovski said the center’s passion “is still at an all-time high” when the two had their conversation. “Can he do it?” Jovanovski said. “Yeah. Mine held up great. Obviously, you got a metal hip joint now. So you have that concern. You knew the concerns going in. But when you talk to Dr. Su and with being bigger guys, which Kes is in that category, the joint itself is a bigger joint and the stability and the strength of it is probably stronger than the other side.”

See you next Spring, Kes!  B)

• Like 1

^^ Also, in the comments section for this article, Eric Stephens says that Kesler's contract is insured. So factor that into whatever whining some people here want to do about Kesler's contract eating up the team's internal budget.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

"Once he gets this done and the mobility he’s going to have again,..."

Facts not in evidence. 

I wish him well.

We all do...We all want KesBoss to rest.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

"Once he gets this done and the mobility he’s going to have again,..."

Facts not in evidence. 

I wish him well.

(a) This isn’t a trial.

(b) If it was a trial, that’s not even a valid objection to the substance of testimony.

lol. 

Jovanovski actually was the first person truly recorded to play in any one of the four major sports after this kind of surgery. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about here. Plus they were teammates for a time in Vancouver, so he knows Kesler. Anything else is just speculation. If he thinks Kesler can do it if he wants to come back then I trust him more so than any other so called "expert". He basically said in the article that it just depends on Kesler if he really wants to. He said they talked hockey after the surgery so I'm thinking Kesler is going to give it a go. If the lockout doesn't happen he might have a chance. We'll see. Team Kesler anyone?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

(a) This isn’t a trial.

(b) If it was a trial, that’s not even a valid objection to the substance of testimony.

lol. 

Ahh... what do YOU kn...

Nevermind.

8 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Jovanovski actually was the first person truly recorded to play in any one of the four major sports after this kind of surgery. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about here. Plus they were teammates for a time in Vancouver, so he knows Kesler. Anything else is just speculation. If he thinks Kesler can do it if he wants to come back then I trust him more so than any other so called "expert". He basically said in the article that it just depends on Kesler if he really wants to. He said they talked hockey after the surgery so I'm thinking Kesler is going to give it a go. If the lockout doesn't happen he might have a chance. We'll see. Team Kesler anyone?

I’d just feel more optimistic if there was a bigger sample size of hockey players than just Jovanovski to go off of. Plus, Kesler also has a greater history of hip issues between the two. Assuming he is even able to play again, it’s not like we are going to get 2011-2016 Kesler back. I agree that he’s going to give it a go because that’s the type of guy he is but I don’t think that the Ducks are factoring him in to their plans after next season. It’s not necessarily a bad thing as the Ducks start transitioning towards their young players.

I just hope that he’s able to live a pain-free life going forward.

20 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

^^ Also, in the comments section for this article, Eric Stephens says that Kesler's contract is insured. So factor that into whatever whining some people here want to do about Kesler's contract eating up the team's internal budget.

The problem with LTR is one day it will be over; let's say by the end of February, if the Ducks are in the playoffs hunt, Kesler will announce that he feels healthy and ready to come back. By NHL rules, team ca not force player to stay on LTR if he feels ready to return, and player have to be evaluated by independent physician. Lets say, Kesler will pass his physical, then what? The team will have to clear $6.75 mil before trade deadline, it means one or two valuable players will be traded for draft picks or demoted to AHL.

Edited by FanSince1993

47 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’d just feel more optimistic if there was a bigger sample size of hockey players than just Jovanovski to go off of. Plus, Kesler also has a greater history of hip issues between the two. Assuming he is even able to play again, it’s not like we are going to get 2011-2016 Kesler back. I agree that he’s going to give it a go because that’s the type of guy he is but I don’t think that the Ducks are factoring him in to their plans after next season. It’s not necessarily a bad thing as the Ducks start transitioning towards their young players.

I just hope that he’s able to live a pain-free life going forward.

Oh I agree he's not even been the same Kesler for the past two years. But it's still ultimately his call as he's still got a contract. The article also said several tennis players came back from this surgery. But jovanovski also was out of the league after he came back as the Panthers used a buyout. He said it was because the game became too fast for him. So even if Kesler makes a return he might not be able to keep up and the ducks might buy his last year out. 

42 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

The problem with LTR is one day it will be over; let's say by the end of February, if the Ducks are in the playoffs hunt, Kesler will announce that he feels healthy and ready to come back. By NHL rules, team ca not force player to stay on LTR if he feels ready to return, and player have to be evaluated by independent physician. Lets say, Kesler will pass his physical, then what? The team will have to clear $6.75 mil before trade deadline, it means one or two valuable players will be traded for draft picks or demoted to AHL.

(1) That’s not how the cap calculation works. They won’t need to clear a whole $6.75M. (2) Remind me who GMBM traded when Pears came off LTIR this past February. And don’t say Montour because he was traded 3 weeks after Pears was activated, so the team was already cap compliant when Monty was moved. (3) GMBM’s recent comments about LTIR give the impression that we probably won’t be near the upper cap limit anyway, so the team will likely be accruing enough season cap space to allow Kes to return after the deadline, if he’s ready and still wants to give it a go, without doing anything significant to the rest of the roster.

Yeah, the cap hit would be pro rated to what's remaining of the season. But they're all basically saying that he's not playing next year. And even if he does it will be at the end of the season where the hit won't be very big. 

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

(1) That’s not how the cap calculation works. They won’t need to clear a whole $6.75M. (2) Remind me who GMBM traded when Pears came off LTIR this past February. And don’t say Montour because he was traded 3 weeks after Pears was activated, so the team was already cap compliant when Monty was moved. (3) GMBM’s recent comments about LTIR give the impression that we probably won’t be near the upper cap limit anyway, so the team will likely be accruing enough season cap space to allow Kes to return after the deadline, if he’s ready and still wants to give it a go, without doing anything significant to the rest of the roster.

what is he wants to come back before the training camp of 2020? Then the full amount have to be cleared up before the beginning of the season, right? That's probably the reason GMBM can't spend more money on free agents because he has to keep a significant amount under the cap if Kesler suddenly decides to return. It will handcuff this team for 3 more years.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

A - no duh.

B - I wasn’t treating the authors speculation as testimony. The exposition assumes facts that can’t reasonably be assumed, based on what we know about the history of K’s hip.  

You mean based on what YOU know about Kesler's hip. Jovanovski had the same injury/condition, had the same surgery performed by the same doctor, and has had extensive personal discussions with Kesler about his hip. I honestly don't know what more you would need to lay a foundation for the credibility of Jovanovski's statement

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

what is he wants to come back before the training camp of 2020? Then the full amount have to be cleared up before the beginning of the season, right? That's probably the reason GMBM can't spend more money on free agents because he has to keep a significant amount under the cap if Kesler suddenly decides to return. It will handcuff this team for 3 more years.

The cap will be at $86M by 2020-21, they'll be one season away from shedding Perry's $8.65M cap hit, and the Ducks will have no major contracts to give out between now and then to current players. This team will not be handcuffed in any way shape or form... IF GMBM wants to wade into the UFA market for a big fish.

5 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Oh I agree he's not even been the same Kesler for the past two years. But it's still ultimately his call as he's still got a contract. The article also said several tennis players came back from this surgery. But jovanovski also was out of the league after he came back as the Panthers used a buyout. He said it was because the game became too fast for him. So even if Kesler makes a return he might not be able to keep up and the ducks might buy his last year out. 

I think that there are better odds of the Ducks moving his contract to Seattle if they can’t buy him out. Is Jovanovski the only hockey player that’s done this procedure and come back? 

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

The cap will be at $86M by 2020-21, they'll be one season away from shedding Perry's $8.65M cap hit, and the Ducks will have no major contracts to give out between now and then to current players. This team will not be handcuffed in any way shape or form... IF GMBM wants to wade into the UFA market for a big fish.

Yeah. When Perry comes off the books the Ducks will just under $40 mil in cap space and could get over $45 mil if Kesler’s contract is moved. Manson, Lindholm, Rakell would need new contracts at that time if they are going to remain in Anaheim, Getzlaf can be extended next summer so there will be ample money.

30 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

It’s not ideal but it’s not like Kesler’s contract is going to prevent the Ducks from contending during that time. The Ducks are handcuffed by lack talent/ going through a youth transition. The next couple of seasons are about seeing how that youth pans out. IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that there are better odds of the Ducks moving his contract to Seattle if they can’t buy him out. Is Jovanovski the only hockey player that’s done this procedure and come back? 

Yeah. When Perry comes off the books the Ducks will just under $40 mil in cap space and could get over $45 mil if Kesler’s contract is moved. Manson, Lindholm, Rakell would need new contracts at that time if they are going to remain in Anaheim, Getzlaf can be extended next summer so there will be ample money.

It’s not ideal but it’s not like Kesler’s contract is going to prevent the Ducks from contending during that time. The Ducks are handcuffed by lack talent/ going through a youth transition. The next couple of seasons are about seeing how that youth pans out. IMO.

As far as I could tell based on the article he's the only hockey player and the first of the major sports leagues to do so. So it's a pretty recent procedure for athletes. 

Perry, as well as Getz, contact is up in two years. We should be fine as far as cap. If anything this gives us a chance to actually get someone useful for next year. 

1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

As far as I could tell based on the article he's the only hockey player and the first of the major sports leagues to do so. So it's a pretty recent procedure for athletes. 

Jovanovski said he got the idea to make a comeback from Mike Sillinger, who had a similar procedure done in 2009 at age 37, and was apparently playing beer-league hockey completely pain-free after he retired from the NHL. 

There have been elite athletes in other sports who have made a comeback too, just not in any of the four traditional major US sports.

FOX, the Ducks payroll for the upcoming season $70.5 Million we have $11.4 million cap space. If Kesler (I wish him all the best health) is on LTIR we should have an addition $6.8 Million With $18 Million we can do some moves or should make some trades, or sign an UFA PP quarterback we drafted in the past and traded for a second rounder add that to the kids in the system Cinderella lives in Anaheim.

• Like 1

Very humbled and happy to take over as head coach. Excited to have the opportunity to help these kids continue to develop as players/people and achieve their dreams!! See you at tryouts....

Tryouts for the 2010 Little Caesars AAA team will be held as follows ... March 24 @ 630pm March 25 @ 6pm March 29 @ 1030am All skates at Garden City Ice Arena (200 S Log Cabin Rd; Garden City)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Looks like Kesler was the winner of a brand new artificial hip.

IF that is what I think it...is then "Shudder".

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

21 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Looks like Kesler was the winner of a brand new artificial hip.

Ugh. I shouldn't go on Twitter. Went down the rabbit hole, ended up on Dustin Penner's page, which is filled with conspiracy theory nonsense. Twitter is such a cesspool.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/16/2019 at 4:52 PM, dtsdlaw said:

IF Bob Wants to wad into the UFA Market he should do it that it will help 1.Develop of Young Ducks and 2. Create Excitment and Spark this team in completing their Restoration and Rebuild.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

12 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

IF Bob Wants to wad into the UFA Market he should do it that it will help 1.Develop of Young Ducks and 2. Create Excitment and Spark this team in completing their Restoration and Rebuild.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Kesler has 2 Years remaining at $6.875 Million cap hit each year.  Ducks have to pay Perry for 3 seasons, $5 Million the upcoming season, but then it drops to $2M for 2021-22 & 2022-23.

Getzlaf's contract expires at the end of next season, and he'll make $6 Million.  Would he take a discount on a Retirement contract, so the team can land a big fish in 2021, and then another in 2022?

10 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Kesler has 2 Years remaining at $6.875 Million cap hit each year.  Ducks have to pay Perry for 3 seasons, $5 Million the upcoming season, but then it drops to $2M for 2021-22 & 2022-23.

Getzlaf's contract expires at the end of next season, and he'll make $6 Million.  Would he take a discount on a Retirement contract, so the team can land a big fish in 2021, and then another in 2022?

Who knows you tell me IZCool....besides everything needs to taken into account for what Ducks need to do.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

18 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I originally didn't think Getzlaf would get anywhere near the $8.25M he is getting now if he signed an extension. But then I remembered big Joe Thornton scored 50 points in 2016-2017 and signed a 1 year $8M deal at age 37. If Getz scores 50 points next year at age 36 will he get a similar deal? Maybe less per year if he gets a 2 year deal? $6.5M per year over 2 years?

22 hours ago, nieder said:

I originally didn't think Getzlaf would get anywhere near the $8.25M he is getting now if he signed an extension. But then I remembered big Joe Thornton scored 50 points in 2016-2017 and signed a 1 year $8M deal at age 37. If Getz scores 50 points next year at age 36 will he get a similar deal? Maybe less per year if he gets a 2 year deal? $6.5M per year over 2 years?

I wonder too...If he is going to do that path you say or one with Joe Thornton entering 1 year 8Mil.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck