The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
ChicagoDucksFan

Is Kesler healthy?

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Hip replacement would have been the end of Kesler. He elected to go with hip resurfacing so he can try to play again.

Same doctor who did Ed Jovanovski's hip resurfacing procedure did Kesler's too. Jovanovski has his procedure done in April 2013 and his first game back after the surgery and recovery was nine months later in January 2014. Chances are the surgery and recovery plan have advanced by leaps and bounds since then too. I don't think Kes is going to try to beat the timeline, but he certainly knows what the expectations are since others have gone through it.

You're welcome to bet against Kesler in this. I'm not. He's Ryan Friggen Kesler. He'll be back. And he'll win the Masterton in 2021. Count on it.

I’m just counting out Kesler’s hip, not his desire to play. He’s an absolute gamer and if he wasn’t already coming off major hip surgery less than 2 years ago, I’d be more optimistic about him pulling a Jovanovski style comeback. We saw and heard the about the struggle he’s been through with this. I think it’s more about the quality of life for him now, which should be his primary concern. He’s got nothing left to prove. If he somehow came back and was a serviceable player, that would be incredible but I don’t see it happening or being worth the risk. Especially, with the Ducks transitioning towards youth and not likely to be contending until after his contract would be up. It just doesn’t seem probable or worth it all things considered.

Well Ducks have announce KesBoss had successful Hip Surgery and now Decision rests with him.....We know he will sit out he needs it...But we know IF he calls it career it will be HIS DECISION alone.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Hopefully he can live life pain free after the operation. Life comes before hockey but I'm still hoping for a miraculous comeback. The odds are definitely stacked against him but as DTS said, he's Ryan Kesler.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Hopefully he can live life pain free after the operation. Life comes before hockey but I'm still hoping for a miraculous comeback. The odds are definitely stacked against him but as DTS said, he's Ryan Kesler.

No miraculous comeback. He'll milk it for 3 more years.

53 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

No miraculous comeback. He'll milk it for 3 more years.

He's not "milking" anything. 

• Like 3

Well it took a long time for this post to come to conclusion but looks like the answer is finally pretty definitive.

I see some sniping and griping by some of the folks here and of course you are all entitled to your opinion.  But I would hope there isnt anyone who follows hockey who would see Kes as anything other than one of the greatest warriors the game has seen in recent times.

I do wish we could have seen him stay healthy and lift a cup with our Ducks, but much more so I wish him and his family the best for the rest of his life.

GO Ducks!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChicagoDucksFan said:

Well it took a long time for this post to come to conclusion but looks like the answer is finally pretty definitive.

I see some sniping and griping by some of the folks here and of course you are all entitled to your opinion.  But I would hope there isnt anyone who follows hockey who would see Kes as anything other than one of the greatest warriors the game has seen in recent times.

I do wish we could have seen him stay healthy and lift a cup with our Ducks, but much more so I wish him and his family the best for the rest of his life.

GO Ducks!

We all do I wish to see him Contribute and lift the Stanley Cup with our Ducks...he deserves it more for he shows the Fighting Spirit each game he played.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Thanks 1

Another great article in the Athletic by Eric Stephens regarding Kesler today (I highly recommend a subscription). Lots of great quotes from Jovanovski, Bob Murray, and Kesler's agent in this one, but the money quote IMO is from Jovanovski:

“I don’t bet against Kes,” Jovanovski said. “Once he gets this done and the mobility he’s going to have again, there’s no reason why he can’t give it a go. Obviously, there’s risks that comes with it. But I think if you’re well aware of all that’s surrounding it, you prepare the right way and you put yourself in the best position to succeed – he’s going to feel great.

Jovanovski said the center’s passion “is still at an all-time high” when the two had their conversation. “Can he do it?” Jovanovski said. “Yeah. Mine held up great. Obviously, you got a metal hip joint now. So you have that concern. You knew the concerns going in. But when you talk to Dr. Su and with being bigger guys, which Kes is in that category, the joint itself is a bigger joint and the stability and the strength of it is probably stronger than the other side.”

See you next Spring, Kes!  B)

• Like 1

^^ Also, in the comments section for this article, Eric Stephens says that Kesler's contract is insured. So factor that into whatever whining some people here want to do about Kesler's contract eating up the team's internal budget.

• Like 1

"Once he gets this done and the mobility he’s going to have again,..."

Facts not in evidence. 

I wish him well.

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

Facts not in evidence. 

I wish him well.

We all do...We all want KesBoss to rest.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

Facts not in evidence. 

I wish him well.

(a) This isn’t a trial.

(b) If it was a trial, that’s not even a valid objection to the substance of testimony.

lol. 

Jovanovski actually was the first person truly recorded to play in any one of the four major sports after this kind of surgery. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about here. Plus they were teammates for a time in Vancouver, so he knows Kesler. Anything else is just speculation. If he thinks Kesler can do it if he wants to come back then I trust him more so than any other so called "expert". He basically said in the article that it just depends on Kesler if he really wants to. He said they talked hockey after the surgery so I'm thinking Kesler is going to give it a go. If the lockout doesn't happen he might have a chance. We'll see. Team Kesler anyone?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

(a) This isn’t a trial.

(b) If it was a trial, that’s not even a valid objection to the substance of testimony.

lol. 

Ahh... what do YOU kn...

Nevermind.

8 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Jovanovski actually was the first person truly recorded to play in any one of the four major sports after this kind of surgery. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about here. Plus they were teammates for a time in Vancouver, so he knows Kesler. Anything else is just speculation. If he thinks Kesler can do it if he wants to come back then I trust him more so than any other so called "expert". He basically said in the article that it just depends on Kesler if he really wants to. He said they talked hockey after the surgery so I'm thinking Kesler is going to give it a go. If the lockout doesn't happen he might have a chance. We'll see. Team Kesler anyone?

I’d just feel more optimistic if there was a bigger sample size of hockey players than just Jovanovski to go off of. Plus, Kesler also has a greater history of hip issues between the two. Assuming he is even able to play again, it’s not like we are going to get 2011-2016 Kesler back. I agree that he’s going to give it a go because that’s the type of guy he is but I don’t think that the Ducks are factoring him in to their plans after next season. It’s not necessarily a bad thing as the Ducks start transitioning towards their young players.

I just hope that he’s able to live a pain-free life going forward.

20 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

^^ Also, in the comments section for this article, Eric Stephens says that Kesler's contract is insured. So factor that into whatever whining some people here want to do about Kesler's contract eating up the team's internal budget.

The problem with LTR is one day it will be over; let's say by the end of February, if the Ducks are in the playoffs hunt, Kesler will announce that he feels healthy and ready to come back. By NHL rules, team ca not force player to stay on LTR if he feels ready to return, and player have to be evaluated by independent physician. Lets say, Kesler will pass his physical, then what? The team will have to clear $6.75 mil before trade deadline, it means one or two valuable players will be traded for draft picks or demoted to AHL.

Edited by FanSince1993

47 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’d just feel more optimistic if there was a bigger sample size of hockey players than just Jovanovski to go off of. Plus, Kesler also has a greater history of hip issues between the two. Assuming he is even able to play again, it’s not like we are going to get 2011-2016 Kesler back. I agree that he’s going to give it a go because that’s the type of guy he is but I don’t think that the Ducks are factoring him in to their plans after next season. It’s not necessarily a bad thing as the Ducks start transitioning towards their young players.

I just hope that he’s able to live a pain-free life going forward.

Oh I agree he's not even been the same Kesler for the past two years. But it's still ultimately his call as he's still got a contract. The article also said several tennis players came back from this surgery. But jovanovski also was out of the league after he came back as the Panthers used a buyout. He said it was because the game became too fast for him. So even if Kesler makes a return he might not be able to keep up and the ducks might buy his last year out. 

42 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

The problem with LTR is one day it will be over; let's say by the end of February, if the Ducks are in the playoffs hunt, Kesler will announce that he feels healthy and ready to come back. By NHL rules, team ca not force player to stay on LTR if he feels ready to return, and player have to be evaluated by independent physician. Lets say, Kesler will pass his physical, then what? The team will have to clear $6.75 mil before trade deadline, it means one or two valuable players will be traded for draft picks or demoted to AHL.

(1) That’s not how the cap calculation works. They won’t need to clear a whole $6.75M. (2) Remind me who GMBM traded when Pears came off LTIR this past February. And don’t say Montour because he was traded 3 weeks after Pears was activated, so the team was already cap compliant when Monty was moved. (3) GMBM’s recent comments about LTIR give the impression that we probably won’t be near the upper cap limit anyway, so the team will likely be accruing enough season cap space to allow Kes to return after the deadline, if he’s ready and still wants to give it a go, without doing anything significant to the rest of the roster.

Yeah, the cap hit would be pro rated to what's remaining of the season. But they're all basically saying that he's not playing next year. And even if he does it will be at the end of the season where the hit won't be very big. 

16 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

(a) This isn’t a trial.

lol. 

A - no duh.

B - I wasn’t treating the authors speculation as testimony. The exposition assumes facts that can’t reasonably be assumed, based on what we know about the history of K’s hip.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

(1) That’s not how the cap calculation works. They won’t need to clear a whole $6.75M. (2) Remind me who GMBM traded when Pears came off LTIR this past February. And don’t say Montour because he was traded 3 weeks after Pears was activated, so the team was already cap compliant when Monty was moved. (3) GMBM’s recent comments about LTIR give the impression that we probably won’t be near the upper cap limit anyway, so the team will likely be accruing enough season cap space to allow Kes to return after the deadline, if he’s ready and still wants to give it a go, without doing anything significant to the rest of the roster.

what is he wants to come back before the training camp of 2020? Then the full amount have to be cleared up before the beginning of the season, right? That's probably the reason GMBM can't spend more money on free agents because he has to keep a significant amount under the cap if Kesler suddenly decides to return. It will handcuff this team for 3 more years.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

A - no duh.

B - I wasn’t treating the authors speculation as testimony. The exposition assumes facts that can’t reasonably be assumed, based on what we know about the history of K’s hip.  

You mean based on what YOU know about Kesler's hip. Jovanovski had the same injury/condition, had the same surgery performed by the same doctor, and has had extensive personal discussions with Kesler about his hip. I honestly don't know what more you would need to lay a foundation for the credibility of Jovanovski's statement

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

what is he wants to come back before the training camp of 2020? Then the full amount have to be cleared up before the beginning of the season, right? That's probably the reason GMBM can't spend more money on free agents because he has to keep a significant amount under the cap if Kesler suddenly decides to return. It will handcuff this team for 3 more years.

The cap will be at $86M by 2020-21, they'll be one season away from shedding Perry's $8.65M cap hit, and the Ducks will have no major contracts to give out between now and then to current players. This team will not be handcuffed in any way shape or form... IF GMBM wants to wade into the UFA market for a big fish.

5 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Oh I agree he's not even been the same Kesler for the past two years. But it's still ultimately his call as he's still got a contract. The article also said several tennis players came back from this surgery. But jovanovski also was out of the league after he came back as the Panthers used a buyout. He said it was because the game became too fast for him. So even if Kesler makes a return he might not be able to keep up and the ducks might buy his last year out. 

I think that there are better odds of the Ducks moving his contract to Seattle if they can’t buy him out. Is Jovanovski the only hockey player that’s done this procedure and come back? 

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

The cap will be at $86M by 2020-21, they'll be one season away from shedding Perry's $8.65M cap hit, and the Ducks will have no major contracts to give out between now and then to current players. This team will not be handcuffed in any way shape or form... IF GMBM wants to wade into the UFA market for a big fish.

Yeah. When Perry comes off the books the Ducks will just under $40 mil in cap space and could get over $45 mil if Kesler’s contract is moved. Manson, Lindholm, Rakell would need new contracts at that time if they are going to remain in Anaheim, Getzlaf can be extended next summer so there will be ample money.

30 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

It’s not ideal but it’s not like Kesler’s contract is going to prevent the Ducks from contending during that time. The Ducks are handcuffed by lack talent/ going through a youth transition. The next couple of seasons are about seeing how that youth pans out. IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that there are better odds of the Ducks moving his contract to Seattle if they can’t buy him out. Is Jovanovski the only hockey player that’s done this procedure and come back? 

Yeah. When Perry comes off the books the Ducks will just under $40 mil in cap space and could get over $45 mil if Kesler’s contract is moved. Manson, Lindholm, Rakell would need new contracts at that time if they are going to remain in Anaheim, Getzlaf can be extended next summer so there will be ample money.

It’s not ideal but it’s not like Kesler’s contract is going to prevent the Ducks from contending during that time. The Ducks are handcuffed by lack talent/ going through a youth transition. The next couple of seasons are about seeing how that youth pans out. IMO.

As far as I could tell based on the article he's the only hockey player and the first of the major sports leagues to do so. So it's a pretty recent procedure for athletes. 

Perry, as well as Getz, contact is up in two years. We should be fine as far as cap. If anything this gives us a chance to actually get someone useful for next year. 

1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

As far as I could tell based on the article he's the only hockey player and the first of the major sports leagues to do so. So it's a pretty recent procedure for athletes. 

Jovanovski said he got the idea to make a comeback from Mike Sillinger, who had a similar procedure done in 2009 at age 37, and was apparently playing beer-league hockey completely pain-free after he retired from the NHL. 

There have been elite athletes in other sports who have made a comeback too, just not in any of the four traditional major US sports.

3 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

if he's still officially on the team, it's not entirely a "decision" of Kesler's.  If a doctor deems him healthy enough to play, then I think Kesler's choice at that point in time is to either play or retire; i don't think he can be healthy and simply decide to sit out (though, I'm thinking about some player entry delays in Anaheim's past, and I'm not sure how those were managed).  The team's choice is... not a choice.  They can delay by sending him to the AHL for conditioning (I don't think there's a cap hit during that conditioning stint), but I think there are limits to how long that can be the case before the league gets uppity about cap hit avoidance.  it's spelled out in the player agreement.

pragmatically, it's doubtful a doctor will deem Kesler is ready to play without Kes agreeing that's the case, but there's a technical interplay there.  the team and Kesler have done an excellent job at protecting that amorphous decision by stating now that he likely won't play at all next season.  those with better minds for NHL history will know better than me, but that might effectively inoculate the team against cap hit issues for next season, such that they can manage Kesler's return however they want.

I will add that i don't like the tone of "handcuff this team."  i think you'd have to agree that after this season, it's pretty clear Kesler won't get back on the ice just to run out his contract as a (worst case) hobbled 4th liner with 3 minutes a game.  the absolute worst case is that Kesler ends up on LTIR for the remainder of his contract, which (with some logistical restrictions) frees up his cap hit over that time period as needed.  if his salary is insured, as has been reported, then there's effectively no harm to the team's roster plans.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

You mean based on what YOU know about Kesler's hip. Jovanovski had the same injury/condition, had the same surgery performed by the same doctor, and has had extensive personal discussions with Kesler about his hip. I honestly don't know what more you would need to lay a foundation for the credibility of Jovanovski's statement

it's sufficient foundation to speculate about a possible outcome or range of outcomes, but not to assume a positive outcome.  Jovanovski's statement assumes a positive outcome.  Also, the timeline of Jovanovski's injury (and Sillinger's) don't match Kesler's, and while those outcomes are evidence that the procedure is capable of producing a positive outcome, in very particular injury cases, they aren't evidence as to the chances of Kesler's recovery (after 3? hip surgeries, and significant joint degradation between the first and second, compounded by even more significant joint degradation between the second and third).  Neither player is an orthopedist (though learning by osmosis under such circumstances is something I'd agree ranks them higher on the expert scale than a simple bystander, at least for aspects of the procedure and the recovery regimine). 

Check this out:  http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/10367157/nhl-florida-panthers-ed-jovanovski-back-hip-resurfacing-surgery

The part I'm concerned with is this:

It takes a good six months for the body to fully attach itself to the implant, so there was no returning to the ice before then. 

So what that quote should say is: "It can take at least six months for the body to fully attach itself to the implants, if they attach successfully at all (which depends, at least in part, on the condition of the underlying bone and associated tissue/blood delivery, all of which can hamper or even preclude attachment if there is, for example, problematic scarring caused by past injury or the contemporaneous surgery itself)."

I would start evaluating Kesler's chances in recovery very conservatively for now.  I'd probably continue to do so from now until halfway into the prescribed 6 month rule.

• Like 1