Myuyum

Cogs traded for Shore. Goodbye :(

245 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Eaves only has 1 year left and honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see Kesler get bought out. 

Hopefully we can be good again in a few years and not waste Gibson's best seasons.

+1 I hope so too.

4 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Still waiting on word from Cogs. There are many postings, interviews, quotes from Shore and comments about Shore. Not much out there on Cogs. As much as it will be cookie cutter, I really want to hear what he has to say.

And, just as I pos that:

https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/1084985690260033538

"I took a great deal of pride playing in Anaheim. Playing "Ducks hockey" always brought out my best, no matter the situation. I want to thank the Samuelis, my teammates and the fans for the amazing memories. I will always remember my eight years with the Ducks and wish the organization all the best. -Cogs

He sounds...sad. :\ 

45 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

He was on the Cheechoo train last season.

Really? Dude put up .7 points per game last year. Cheechoo... Ridiculous.

55 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I would also argue that Cogs would have been gone anyway when the Seattle draft came along. Saving almost a mil per is nothing to sneeze at either. Also, don’t we have a couple of young guys developing that are defense quick players such as lunderstrom or Sherwood etc ... who could slide into his place for cheaper? I do love the Cogs heart but the play would usually die on his stick. The only downside I see is in the morale department for this season as Cogs was the clear undisputed heart and soul of this team but it’s prob already too late to salvage this season. 

Question is: who will now take the torch as the new heart for this team? Kase? The guy is always hustling and has an infectious smile. He’s my vote 

Kase right now is that guy I think. Without Kase I don't think they'd move Cogliano. They have different line rolls, but serve the same function, to show the rest of the lineup how hard they should be skating.

9 hours ago, poum said:

Morale at an all time low. Trade away a locker room/fan favovrite.

That's supposed to kick start the youth who are probably the most demoralized by this or is it the under performing guys with NMCs this is a warning too?

Ugh. Sorry ladies and gents. I'm really bitter about this whole situation.

I posted this about 2 months ago in the midst of the 7 game losing streak.
When things are going bad, teams will either fire the coach or trade a popular player in the locker room in order to get the team's attention.
The Ducks chose to make the trade and keep the coach for the time being. 

So finally got around to reading the BM interview...interesting tidbits...

1) He said the team's issues had nothing to do with Cogs and he wasn't the problem, but a deal came up and he wanted to get a player that had more creativity in scoring.

2) He admits that we lost speed by trading Cogs.

3) He said what he likes about Shore the most is his brain. Bob is confident he will fit in, be strong down the middle/the wing, shoots left, and has a high hockey IQ and will be able to create things.

4) When asked about how difficult it was...Bob said no one is heartless in this business and that it wasn't a very good night. ...I'm guessing he means last night when he made the decision for the trade.

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Im not sure where Shore goes when we’re healthy. 

Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry 

Ritchie - Henrique - Kase 

Sprong - Rowney - Silfverberg 

Shore - Kesler - Sherwood 

if I was the coach, I’d try something like that. Idk, where you put Eaves. 

Rakell - Getzlaf -Rowney

Shore - Kesler - Silfverberg 

Sherwood/Aberg - Gibbons/Sherwood - Sprong

Would try something like this now, deal with Perry/Eaves when they are ready.

23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Soo...I'm curious as to why you think that. Honest question. I'm guessing you're not alone in that, but if we aren't a playoff team...and to Bob's words, we're not a contender. Why keep Miller? Last year of his contract...I always believed Miller's highest value was being our reliable back-up for a long playoff run. Sure, he's got a lot of other value...like a good option to keep us relevant when Gibson goes down. We have 2 great goalies to keep us in the playoff hunt...but...if we're not that team. Why keep him? I love the guy, but it just seems to make sense to me. I would think there are some playoff teams that would be willing to pay some picks/prospects to get a back up like Miller. We could always re-sign him in the off season.

Miller's signing seemed to be a reaction to the fact that Bernier was crap in 2017 against Nashville and we lost the series. We're not a contender...barely a playoff team...why keep Miller for the remainder of the season?

Because hopefully we resign him and next season can be part of the Ducks revival. 

Perry was third on our team in points last year. It’s not like he’s putting up single digit points. He’s clearly still a first line player. You don’t bury that down the line up. 

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, poum said:

Really? Dude put up .7 points per game last year. Cheechoo... Ridiculous.

When it comes to Rocket Richard trophy winners whose hands went cold? It's appropriate. Last two seasons, less than 20 goals per. 

Plenty of apple pickers on this team. Not enough finishers. 

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

No thank you to RC and no thank you to BM.

I noticed that too.

3 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

He only gets an award if we go like 32-5 the rest of the way and wins 30 of those games with 10 SO's.  He has to be way above any other goalie in consideration.  No one that votes for this Dehydrated Donkey Dung will ever vote for a Duck if it's close.

the way we leak SOGs, he might set a 100 year league record.

21 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

1) He said the team's issues had nothing to do with Cogs and he wasn't the problem, but a deal came up and he wanted to get a player that had more creativity in scoring.

2) He admits that we lost speed by trading Cogs.

3) He said what he likes about Shore the most is his brain. Bob is confident he will fit in, be strong down the middle/the wing, shoots left, and has a high hockey IQ and will be able to create things.

4) When asked about how difficult it was...Bob said no one is heartless in this business and that it wasn't a very good night. ...I'm guessing he means last night when he made the decision for the trade.

Bob also said he really liked Dotchin....:ph34r:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

No thank you to RC and no thank you to BM.

Interesting but Eaves thank you for his diploma to the league didn’t include the Ducks either. Coincidence? 

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Depending on how BM truly feels about this team come the deadline...I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller shipped. A good, reliable back up is not easy to come by...and there will be some good teams hoping to make a deep run in need of a good back-up. And we have no need for him if we aren't expecting to make a big run. We needed him in 2017...

Don't think so. Miller only gets shipped if something really excellent is coming back.  Again, Toronto seems to be lacking a backup, and Freddy keeps being injured.  

29 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

After seeing Stars coach Montgomery rip his entire team on a TV interview for not playing hard all year, I can see how this deal "came up."    And that's how these things get done.  Ducks looking to get younger and save $$, Stars looking for 110%'er.    Had NOTHING to do with the streak.

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

Don't think so. Miller only gets shipped if something really excellent is coming back.  Again, Toronto seems to be lacking a backup, and Freddy keeps being injured.  

If Johnson does ok, I can see Miller getting shipped for a 2 or 3.  Need to stockpile picks.  Can always resign him

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

If Johnson does ok, I can see Miller getting shipped for a 2 or 3.  Need to stockpile picks.  Can always resign him

I could see an explicit loanout as the deadline looms.  but i don't think Miller would like that.

4 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I could see an explicit loanout as the deadline looms.  but i don't think Miller would like that.

Nope. Especially with his wife being an actress and them having a young child.

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, Southbayduck said:

Rakell - Getzlaf -Rowney

Shore - Kesler - Silfverberg 

Sherwood/Aberg - Gibbons/Sherwood - Sprong

Would try something like this now, deal with Perry/Eaves when they are ready.

Switch Sprong and Rowney. It's top 6 or bust for Sprong. He doesn't have the two way game or physicality to play a 4th line role.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

When it comes to Rocket Richard trophy winners whose hands went cold? It's appropriate. Last two seasons, less than 20 goals per. 

Plenty of apple pickers on this team. Not enough finishers. 

C'mon man. It's almost impossible to win a Rocket in the last 10+ years unless your name is Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin.

The comparison to Cheechoo is unfounded. That guy played another 3.5 seasons before he was buried in the AHL. Perry (yes, over payed) is still a very productive NHL player 7 years later. He may not be getting the sexy points (goals) but he's still contributing to making the goals happen.

It's a long shot but I think we all hope Perry comes back with a new Teemu knee and continues to have a long successful career.

19 minutes ago, poum said:

It's a long shot but I think we all hope Perry comes back with a new Teemu knee and continues to have a long successful career.

Both true

2 people like this

6 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Hey Bob....Shove It!  Thanks for proving it's not a sport, it's a business.  So much for loyalty.  Perhaps if you hadn't paid $9M+ for a paperweight sitting at home getting his college degree, you would have had some scraps left over for guys who actually showed up every day.

I will in turn show similar loyalty by selling our tickets to most of the remaining games, and watching on TV from home.  No wonder you felt the need to honor a guy who also demonstrated "loyalty."  I guess he was right too.....it's just a business, and the fans really have no bearing on the choices teams/players make.

Don't kid yourself.  It has always been a business.

6 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

How is this a panic move?   Not seeing that at all.

It's a move to get rid of an aging 3.25M player that isn't producing for someone very similar at 2.3m, with one less year on his contract.  Has nothing to do with losing streak IMO. 

Insulting the fans?    If a GM is considering fans emotions as any one of the criteria for a trade, then that's the worst GM of all time.

I'm not talking about the trade, I'm saying that the bogus PR spin he put out last night was an insult to the fans. The fact that he was still on his soapbox into today about ~accountability~ as he trades away one of his hardest workers is the cherry on top. This has easily been the most embarrassing stretch in the history of a franchise that used to include Tinkerbell graphics in their broadcasts. To come out and say to the fans that he's not even considering a coaching change after watching this year-long disaster is an absolute joke. It's not just that they lost 11 in a row, it's the pathetic way they've been losing since before the season started. This team has been failing for a very long time. Carlyle should have gotten the axe after similarly coasting through all of last season and pretending injuries were the #1 problem only to see his healthy Ducks get humiliated in 4 games by their rivals in the playoffs. And yet here we still are, over half a season later with two separate franchise high losing streaks to our name and a coach who hasn't run a successful gameplan since 2009 when he could ice two HHOF defenders for half a game. If Murray genuinely believes Carlyle isn't part of the problem here, what other option is there? The roster HE is responsible for creating? The insult here is Murray absolving himself AND his bestie of all responsibility for this mess while expecting paying fans to continue to put up with this nonsense.  We can agree to disagree about the trade itself. To me it just reeks of trying to "send a message" when in reality he's just throwing Dehydrated Donkey Dung at a wall and seeing what sticks. Moving Cogliano doesn't make this team better, just like keeping Carlyle won't. He should try honesty instead of throwing his players under the bus for the umpteenth time.

Edited by PetrSykora
5 people like this

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

I don't think he would be complaining much if it was a trade to Tampa. I mean, go on the road for 3 months and come home with a Stanley Cup? Sounds like a win win for Miller.

4 hours ago, ducks07 said:

Yes, I'd like to live in the past also...Perry was a slug the past two seasons and now that he had his knees repaired he is magically going to rejuvenate his youth. Its called being realistic bud...how do expect him to keep up with the new NHL. Just like Kessler, he will be told to stand in front of the net.

I would reserve judgement on Perry unless we see how he does.  He knee was hosed for the last couple of years from making tough contact plays, and the surgery results could pay dividends.

12 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Boo.  In addition to an umpteen game losing streak, the organization jettisons one of my favorite players.  

Well, I guess that solves the problem of the organization needing to grow a spine and celebrate Cogliano's consecutive games streak.  What a crappy weekend to be a Ducks fan.

What a crappy 25th year to be a duck fan sounds more like it

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

I'm not talking about the trade, I'm saying that the bogus PR spin he put out last night was an insult to the fans. The fact that he was still on his soapbox into today about ~accountability~ as he trades away one of his hardest workers is the cherry on top. This has easily been the most embarrassing stretch in the history of a franchise that used to include Tinkerbell graphics in their broadcasts. To come out and say to the fans that he's not even considering a coaching change after watching this year-long disaster is an absolute joke. It's not just that they lost 11 in a row, it's the pathetic way they've been losing since the season started. This team has been failing for a very long time. Carlyle should have gotten the axe after similarly coasting through all of last season and pretending injuries were the #1 problem only to see his healthy Ducks get humiliated in 4 games by their rivals in the playoffs. And yet here we still are, over half a season later with two separate franchise high losing streaks to our name and a coach who hasn't run a successful gameplan since 2009 when he could ice two HHOF defenders for half a game. If Murray genuinely believes Carlyle isn't part of the problem here, what other option is there? The roster HE is responsible for creating? The insult here is Murray absolving himself AND his bestie of all responsibility for this mess while expecting paying fans to continue to put up with this nonsense.  We can agree to disagree about the trade itself. To me it just reeks of trying to "send a message" when in reality he's just throwing Dehydrated Donkey Dung at a wall and seeing what sticks. Moving Cogliano doesn't make this team better, just like keeping Carlyle won't. He should try honesty instead of throwing his players under the bus for the umpteenth time.

The owners are doing us fans all a favor by not firing BM and RC. This season and possibly next will get us a couple of great prospect we desperately need for the future. I think BM and RC need to be kept on staff for the remainder of this year...it would not be wise to bring in a new GM to only have them make impulse moves right away, give him the entire offseason to make wise decisions including who the next coach should be.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Ahh I see, I see. In that case he should go to like Pittsburgh lol

Yeah, they don't. But I was thinking they'd take a "lesser" forward with veteran experience to make up for the loss of Nylander along with one of our D. Nylander is a big deal and a straight 1 for 1 trade I'd think maybe wouldn't be enough. Plus it could have helped with us not getting rid of one of our top 4 D. I dunno.

Our top four defenceman  are not top four defence men for other  teams I don’t think

Would anybody actually want Manson the way he’s playing? I don’t see it. 

5 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

So we're getting better value from Kesler, who has been a shell of himself the last 1 1/2 seasons....or Perry, also vastly overpaid, and will miss 3/4 of this season?  Or perhaps Patrick Eaves, who has made $5 Million for playing 5 games in 1 1/2 seasons?  Cogs brought consistency, night after night, you knew he would be out there busting his A**!  Stick him on the 4th checking line, then complain he's not scoring goals.  I'd take Cogs at $3M+/year over a Patrick Eaves contract every day.

Don’t forget that’s Eaves with a degree now along with the 5 million