The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Myuyum

Cogs traded for Shore. Goodbye :(

1 hour ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Shore has 17 points in 42 games, is 24, and costs less.   Cogs wasn't very good at all this year.  Going to miss him, but I like this trade for the Ducks.  

Cogs is snakebit in scoring, but was the only one able to keep up with the faster teams, stealing pucks, forechecking, creating opportunities for others.

Not everything goes on a scoresheet.

I feel so weird.  I have accelerated all the way past rage to quiet acceptance, with zero interest in watching anymore.  Even if this trade becomes successful from a player/points point of view, the level of "tone deaf" required to pull it off after a statement saying you'll keep the coach is just mind-boggling.

If you thought the fans are heard here, it is confirmed that they are not. 

• Like 7

Not happy about this at all.

I guess we should have known something was up last game when Cogs was not playing with Kesler and Silfverberg. He scores a rare goal and gets traded. I guess Murray didn't like his comments in the post game interview..

THIS SUCKS!!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

Cogs is snakebit in scoring, but was the only one able to keep up with the faster teams, stealing pucks, forechecking, creating opportunities for others.

Not everything goes on a scoresheet.

I feel so weird.  I have accelerated all the way past rage to quiet acceptance, with zero interest in watching anymore.  Even if this trade becomes successful from a player/points point of view, the level of "tone deaf" required to pull it off after a statement saying you'll keep the coach is just mind-boggling.

If you thought the fans are heard here, it is confirmed that they are not. 

I understand all of this for sure.   Don't really agree with "creating opportunities for others" though.  He has been snake bit for 2-3 years now.

Can't let the inmates run the asylum.  I'm sure this was a very hard trade to make knowing the backlash that would happen.

Oh, and see you after the next game.

“In acquiring Andrew, we are able to add a conscientious player who brings a veteran-presence to our room,” Stars GM Jim Nill said in a press release. “His explosive speed, 200-foot game and iron-man mentality will help our team both on and off the ice.”

Sounds like a player that the Ducks could use.!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Not happy about this at all.

I guess we should have known something was up last game when Cogs was not playing with Kesler and Silfverberg. He scores a rare goal and gets traded. I guess Murray didn't like his comments in the post game interview..

THIS SUCKS!!!!

He scored a rare goal on one of the worst shots ever. So bad, it threw the goalie off.   Just sayin' .     It was not a pretty shot or something to be proud of.

Edited by JiggyToTheCup

1 minute ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

He scored a rare goal on one of the worst shots ever. So bad, it through the goalie off.   Just sayin' .     It was not a pretty shot or something to be proud of.

So, all goals have to be perfect pretty goals that are perfectly placed now.  Noted.

• Like 4

This was sent to my customer service contact:

Kristen,

Just making sure my account is such that I am not automatically renewed in February or whenever that is.  I will make the decision on renewal closer to seat selection or whatever sort of later deadline there is.

After Murray's statement followed by the trade, it is evident to me that management is not in tune with its customers.  After the way the Samuelis didn't stand up for him publicly last year, I hope the Stars value what they have in him. 

My in-game experience continues to decline in the new year with people wandering all over the place during play and no apparent interest in stopping it via any announcement, video, etc.  I guess the need to sell tickets results in a new type of crowd, so those of us "old-timers" (at 41) just become complainers and I guess are just holding on to hockey traditions that aren't important any longer.  The decline in play and lack of addressing it also makes us visitors in our own arena, which really isn't fun, and sometimes doesn't feel safe with the apparent inability of vendors and security to recognize inebriation.

I'd hate to throw away 12 years of support, but I don't even recognize the organization today, so it feels more like we just folded and the decision wasn't mine to make.  

• Like 12

I don't understand the reaction to the trade itself. Shore is younger, costs less, and produces more. I like Cogs just as much as the next guy, but this is still an upgrade on the roster. I know he is a fan favorite, but he wasn't having a good year by his standards, so I'm not surprised he was moved.

The real issue is that this just feels like switching chairs onboard the Titanic. Cogs was not the problem, and the problem has still yet to be addressed.

Edited by BlazingEtem
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I don't understand the reaction to the trade itself. Shore is younger, costs less, and produces more. I like Cogs just as much as the next guy, but this is still an upgrade on the roster. I know he is a fan favorite, but he wasn't having a good year by his standards, so I'm not surprised he was moved.

The real issue is that this just feels like switching chairs onboard the Titanic. Cogs was not the problem, and the problem has still yet to be addressed.

I do.  After every trade, most fans get very emotional if it's one of their favorite players.  They write letters, say they'll quit going, quit watching and quit posting, yet they all show up doing all of it the very next game.   It's the same after every trade. It's so predictable.   

First off, thanks for your dedication and relentless effort night in and night out. If only every player on this team had your drive and commitment to be better each game.

We have to see it as it is...Cogs is a former shell of himself. Like Teemu says, the first to go are your hands...while Cogliano's speed is still present his passing and shooting accuracy has been on the decline and fast. Had to move him now or get even less in return. He was gone at the deadline regardless. Cogs was only producing with a healthy Kessler and the health of Kessler will never be the same. 

Wish him the best in Dallas

1 minute ago, ducks07 said:

First off, thanks for your dedication and relentless effort night in and night out. If only every player on this team had your drive and commitment to be better each game.

We have to see it as it is...Cogs is a former shell of himself. Like Teemu says, the first to go are your hands...while Cogliano's speed is still present his passing and shooting accuracy has been on the decline and fast. Had to move him now or get even less in return. He was gone at the deadline regardless. Cogs was only producing with a healthy Kessler and the health of Kessler will never be the same. 

this.

18 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

It's like replacing the perky upstanding Cruise Director while still retaining the Captain who's full steam ahead into the iceberg. If Shore pots a few here or there, much like acquiring Aberg or Sprong. The team still loses.

And what happened to Aberg? I know he got doghoused. But damn. Did he actually tell Randy to F' off?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I don't understand the reaction to the trade itself. Shore is younger, costs less, and produces more.

Because this trade isn't about the players, it's about establishing what the management thinks are issues.

The current issue is hustle and work.  They traded the epitome of that.  There were players who WEREN'T making the effort that could have been traded.

It's also the timing, right after confirming that a coaching change wasn't happening.  It's a signal that, from a business point of view, they are absolutely tone deaf.  This doesn't mean they have to do what the fans want, but there is a time and place that you do things based on "reading the room," and it is evident that management has no ability to do so at the present.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I do.  After every trade, most fans get very emotional if it's one of their favorite players.  They write letters, say they'll quit going, quit watching and quit posting, yet they all show up doing all of it the very next game.   It's the same after every trade. It's so predictable.   

It's understandable that emotions will come out of any trade, but I think when one takes a step back and looks at the trade in a vacuum, it will be hard to argue that this isn't a net positive acquisition. 

Idk, that's the way I see it. We can be doom and gloom about the overall underlying situation, but I don't think this trade makes us worse, and the locker room can't be any worse than it already is right now. We've lost 11 games in a row, the locker room is not going to be pretty regardless of who is in there. Hopefully seeing a veteran of the team go reveals their reality.

18 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

Would this trade have happened if Cogs was never suspended? I doubt it. He isn't the problem and I think we all know who is and that guy can't be traded, only fired. Yes, Cogs wasn't having a good year and yes, a player not having a good year can get exposed for a trade. This trade saves Bob Murray $950K for next season and the remainder of this season. I guess the going rate of trading the teams heart and soul is $950K.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Case and point why Bob literally needs to not listen to the fans. It doesn't matter what he does -- some will love it or tolerate it and others will hate it. When you can't please everyone...you have to please yourself, your boss, and keep your eye on the goal. This is why I don't give a crap if he's in-tune with the fan base or not. He needs to do what he thinks is best.

So often 'cause people aren't part of the process of trades or things like this...they see it as a whatever, first deal came along, and there it is. When in reality there was probably A LOT of thinking, a lot of planning, a lot of looking into the future, a lot of looking at other players, a lot of guess and check, a lot of research, a lot of looking big picture, thinking of the seattle expansion.

Bob's been quite clear from the very start of this season...he doesn't see this team as a contender. He didn't think wasting assets on one year of Erik Karlsson was worth it. He literally said "this team isn't a contender." He's staying with the coach/coaching staff despite an 11-game losing streak. And now he made a trade that got the team younger and a little cheaper by losing a veteran presence, positive locker room guy, inspiring guy. A guy you want in a playoff run. What he's doing is NOT knee-jerk reacting to the current situation. Nor is he disillusioned by where the team actually is.

• Like 2

Just now, perry_mvp said:

Would this trade have happened if Cogs was never suspended? I doubt it. He isn't the problem and I think we all know who is and that guy can't be traded, only fired. Yes, Cogs wasn't having a good year and yes, a player not having a good year can get exposed for a trade. This trade saves Bob Murray $950K for next season and the remainder of this season. I guess the going rate of trading the teams heart and soul is $950K.

Maybe. But he was suspended and that is the reality. Management can't deal with hypotheticals when making key decisions.

Why are you singling out just the money aspect of this deal? What about the fact that Shore is younger, has more points, and is cost controlled?

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

Because this trade isn't about the players, it's about establishing what the management thinks are issues.

This is a ridiculous statement.   The trade could easily be about getting younger and getting value for an older player on the decline.  It could EASILY have NOTHING to do with the current streak, and just been the right time for this opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Case and point why Bob literally needs to not listen to the fans. It doesn't matter what he does -- some will love it or tolerate it and others will hate it. When you can't please everyone...you have to please yourself, your boss, and keep your eye on the goal. This is why I don't give a crap if he's in-tune with the fan base or not. He needs to do what he thinks is best.

So often 'cause people aren't part of the process of trades or things like this...they see it as a whatever, first deal came along, and there it is. When in reality there was probably A LOT of thinking, a lot of planning, a lot of looking into the future, a lot of looking at other players, a lot of guess and check, a lot of research, a lot of looking big picture, thinking of the seattle expansion.

Bob's been quite clear from the very start of this season...he doesn't see this team as a contender. He didn't think wasting assets on one year of Erik Karlsson was worth it. He literally said "this team isn't a contender." He's staying with the coach/coaching staff despite an 11-game losing streak. And now he made a trade that got the team younger and a little cheaper by losing a veteran presence, positive locker room guy, inspiring guy. A guy you want in a playoff run. What he's doing is NOT knee-jerk reacting to the current situation. Nor is he disillusioned by where the team actually is.

:goodposting:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlazingEtem said:

Maybe. But he was suspended and that is the reality. Management can't deal with hypotheticals when making key decisions.

Why are you singling out just the money aspect of this deal? What about the fact that Shore is younger, has more points, and is cost controlled?

You brought up the point that he costs less and yes he does for the remainder of this season and next season but after that? His production numbers aren't exactly earth shattering and his +/- is horrible. I think the only saving grace is that he's a left hand shot.

• Like 1

I can think of a big reason why they traded Cogs--a reason I do not believe anybody else has mentioned yet.  By trading Cogs, the Ducks get to insert back into the lineup a player that has been a healthy scratch during much of the losing streak--and a player who is tied for second on the Ducks in goal scoring--Aberg.  Not many teams would have their second goal scoring leader on the sidelines.  By making this trade, we get to put Aberg back in the lineup, and give the Kesler line another scoring threat.  Silferberg on one wing. Aberg on the other.  That can be a VERY good line.  Yes, I am speculating Aberg will be back in the lineup.  I don't see why he wouldn't be.  Aberg is arguably as fast as Cogs, or at least pretty close to his speed.  Arguably has more skill than him.  Younger than him.  So, yes.  I think Bob probably wanted to make room to bring Aberg back in the lineup.  This also frees up salary to be able to sign Aberg in the offseason.  We will see how this trade goes.  But I think the Ducks will be inspired by the trade to play better--because players will not want to be traded.  Another thing putting Aberg back into the lineup does is inspires all of the Swedes on the team.  You don't think the Swedes would be inspired having their pal--Aberg--back in the lineup?  Of course they would!  Would an American be inspired if playing in Sweden, to see a fellow American back in the lineup?  Of course!  I say this move helps the Ducks--assuming Aberg is back in the lineup.  We shall see! 

2 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

You brought up the point that he costs less and yes he does for the remainder of this season and next season but after that? His production numbers aren't exactly earth shattering and his +/- is horrible. I think the only saving grace is that he's a left hand shot.

He's at zero +/- right now.  Cogs is +2.    What happened last year doesn't really matter.   His production right now is what Cogs USE to be. Cogs is way down from prior years of being 35-45 pt guy.  He's on pace for 20 right now.

7 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I can think of a big reason why they traded Cogs--a reason I do not believe anybody else has mentioned yet.  By trading Cogs, the Ducks get to insert back into the lineup a player that has been a healthy scratch during much of the losing streak--and a player who is tied for second on the Ducks in goal scoring--Aberg.  Not many teams would have their second goal scoring leader on the sidelines.  By making this trade, we get to put Aberg back in the lineup, and give the Kesler line another scoring threat.  Silferberg on one wing. Aberg on the other.  That can be a VERY good line.  Yes, I am speculating Aberg will be back in the lineup.  I don't see why he wouldn't be.  Aberg is arguably as fast as Cogs, or at least pretty close to his speed.  Arguably has more skill than him.  Younger than him.  So, yes.  I think Bob probably wanted to make room to bring Aberg back in the lineup.  This also frees up salary to be able to sign Aberg in the offseason.  We will see how this trade goes.  But I think the Ducks will be inspired by the trade to play better--because players will not want to be traded.  Another thing putting Aberg back into the lineup does is inspires all of the Swedes on the team.  You don't think the Swedes would be inspired having their pal--Aberg--back in the lineup?  Of course they would!  Would an American be inspired if playing in Sweden, to see a fellow American back in the lineup?  Of course!  I say this move helps the Ducks--assuming Aberg is back in the lineup.  We shall see! 

Don't think they are sitting Shore for Aberg.   Aberg was lightning in a bottle that had started to fizzle out.   He's also only sat the last 3 games.

It will be interesting to see who plays with 17 and 33.

The 33/17/7 line will never produce at the rate it did two years ago. Since we cant trade Kessler we are going to need another winger who will pick up his slack. Cogs will never be that player...Do I think Shore will...NO I dont...but he will produce more then Cogs. This is a slight upgrade for the interim until a proven winger is added then you have acquired depth in Shore and move him to the bottom 6.

Edited by ducks07

44 minutes ago, BlazingEtem said:

I think management was sending a message that nobody is safe, except the coach and those with a nmc.

I have always thought a better way to send a message would be to send a player down. This would allow us to evaluate our younger guys in the big league and send a message to the players being sent down. Plus they could always be brought back or traded down the line.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

I hope Dallas management does a better job with celebrating his streak and continued streak. Cogs deserves the recognition.

Also, I'm sure Cogs is happy with this...Dallas is a team that could make a surprise push in the playoffs. He's got a better chance for the cup with them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

He's at zero +/- right now.  Cogs is +2.    What happened last year doesn't really matter.   His production right now is what Cogs USE to be. Cogs is way down from prior years of being 35-45 pt guy.  He's on pace for 20 right now.

His production right now for this season is only slightly better than Cogs. I'm not trying to dump on Shore but he has some big skates to fill.

• Like 1