The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Myuyum

Cogs traded for Shore. Goodbye :(

I loved Cogs too, but I don't get the angst. If I had a $ for every comment made about his inability to "finish" I could get a steak dinner. I will always appreciate his effort, but I sure don't want to keep a player simply because they're popular. 3G - 8A in 46 games. Shore is 24, has 5G - 12A, and is RFA after next year. He "is considered to be defensively responsible, works hard, and is used heavily on the penalty kill, much like Cogliano." 

33 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Because this trade isn't about the players, it's about establishing what the management thinks are issues.

The current issue is hustle and work.  They traded the epitome of that.  There were players who WEREN'T making the effort that could have been traded.

It's also the timing, right after confirming that a coaching change wasn't happening.  It's a signal that, from a business point of view, they are absolutely tone deaf.  This doesn't mean they have to do what the fans want, but there is a time and place that you do things based on "reading the room," and it is evident that management has no ability to do so at the present.  

Those aren't exactly the players other teams are knocking on your door for...

And who are you talking about? the best player I can think of is Silf...and to your point, I don't think he'll be on the team after the trade deadline.

(...I also don't think Ryan Miller will be either for what it's worth)

4 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I loved Cogs too, but I don't get the angst. If I had a $ for every comment made about his inability to "finish" I could get a steak dinner. I will always appreciate his effort, but I sure don't want to keep a player simply because they're popular. 3G - 8A in 46 games. Shore is 24, has 5G - 12A, and is RFA after next year. He "is considered to be defensively responsible, works hard, and is used heavily on the penalty kill, much like Cogliano." 

You'd also have a very weird way of making money.... :P:P:P (sorry couldn't help myself)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

I don't understand the reaction to the trade itself. Shore is younger, costs less, and produces more. I like Cogs just as much as the next guy, but this is still an upgrade on the roster. I know he is a fan favorite, but he wasn't having a good year by his standards, so I'm not surprised he was moved.

The real issue is that this just feels like switching chairs onboard the Titanic. Cogs was not the problem, and the problem has still yet to be addressed.

Until this season, the production was very similar, with Cogliano actually the better producer.  And some of Cogliano's reduced production can be chalked up to reduced minutes.  And Cogliano was a valuable penalty killer and though he may not have scored much, he maintained decent possession numbers.  I think this is a slight downgrade, or at best a lateral move.  I guess the cap savings are fine, but that's mitigated by removing a fan favorite and great locker room guy.  It ultimately depends on what the cap savings are used for, but the Ducks are at best no better today than they were yesterday.

• Like 5

It’s not surprising that Cogliano got traded but I thought he’d get moved in the offseason to free up cap space and to have Jones or Comtois take that left wing spot next year. This is a move for the sake of making a move and to be seen as doing something.

“We have higher expectations for this group and they should expect more from themselves.” Earlier this season, this guy literally said that this team is not a contending team or good enough to win a cup, so exactly what expectations does he want them to live up to lol?

As many have mentioned, the tone-deafness and lack of personal accountability from Murray is reaching astounding new heights. Wait until Carlyle is in the front office after he’s done coaching and see how fans react to that. This gongshow is not close to being over.

Fans are absolutely justified to be ripping into Murray. The rest of the hockey world is now focused on Anaheim for the wrong reasons primarily because of him.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It’s not surprising that Cogliano got traded but I thought he’d get moved in the offseason to free up cap space and to have Jones or Comtois take that left wing spot next year. This is a move for the sake of making a move and to be seen as doing something.

“We have higher expectations for this group and they should expect more from themselves.” Earlier this season, this guy literally said that this team is not a contending team or good enough to win a cup, so exactly what expectations does he want them to live up to lol?

As many have mentioned, the tone-deafness and lack of personal accountability from Murray is reaching astounding new heights. Wait until Carlyle is in the front office after he’s done coaching and see how fans react to that. This gongshow is not close to being over.

Fans are absolutely justified to be ripping into Murray. The rest of the hockey world is now focused on Anaheim for the wrong reasons primarily because of him.

Where has it been mentioned that RC will be in the front office?    All I've heard is scout.

Contrarian point of view here, but good for Cogs.  Dallas has far more potential for success than Anaheim, and it’s good to be somewhere where your wanted.  Shore is a young player, and trades are part of the game.  

Cogs always gave his best and got hosed from the league when he was suspended, not to mention the weak-kneed lame non-response from the Ducks ownership and management.  I try not to get to emotionally involved with player trades, and losing long term players.  That said, I’m actually kind of happy for Cogs.  This was a tough year for him.  

Edited by Fowl
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Where has it been mentioned that RC will be in the front office?    All I've heard is scout.

I’d put scouting under the general category of a front office job even if he’s not an executive. My bad for the confusion. The key thing is that he will still be employed with the organization which will make for some more wonderful optics.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Still digesting. Was ready to throw Randy in the stocks after his jerk comment to the reporter the other night, ready to send Murray up the river after his comments on the players and keeping Carlyle last night. Then, I wake up to this.

Cogs was not the problem. The dressing room has been problematic for some time. But Cogs wasn't it. Hustle was there, the persistence was there, the Corsi nerd credentials were there. He scored last night for crying out loud. He's done yeoman's work for this club for a long time, because Edmonton gave up on him and the Ducks gave him a second chance. Whatever heart this team had left, it lost a big chunk this morning.

Dallas has a bad locker room, Lites called out Seguin and Benn, Montgomery's made comments about the team culture being bad. I really hope we're not getting another Ritchie out of this deal, we've got one already. And if it's Ritchie with a bad attitude, we really don't need him. 

Cogs'll go on a tear, might even score a letter. The front office did him dirty, and the team's no better for it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlazingEtem said:

I don't understand the reaction to the trade itself. Shore is younger, costs less, and produces more. I like Cogs just as much as the next guy, but this is still an upgrade on the roster. I know he is a fan favorite, but he wasn't having a good year by his standards, so I'm not surprised he was moved.

The real issue is that this just feels like switching chairs onboard the Titanic. Cogs was not the problem, and the problem has still yet to be addressed.

Shore had a good start to the season and has fizzled.

BM keeps repeating getting faster but he traded for a player that is slower.

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I can think of a big reason why they traded Cogs--a reason I do not believe anybody else has mentioned yet.  By trading Cogs, the Ducks get to insert back into the lineup a player that has been a healthy scratch during much of the losing streak--and a player who is tied for second on the Ducks in goal scoring--Aberg.  Not many teams would have their second goal scoring leader on the sidelines.  By making this trade, we get to put Aberg back in the lineup, and give the Kesler line another scoring threat.  Silferberg on one wing. Aberg on the other.  That can be a VERY good line.  Yes, I am speculating Aberg will be back in the lineup.  I don't see why he wouldn't be.  Aberg is arguably as fast as Cogs, or at least pretty close to his speed.  Arguably has more skill than him.  Younger than him.  So, yes.  I think Bob probably wanted to make room to bring Aberg back in the lineup.  This also frees up salary to be able to sign Aberg in the offseason.  We will see how this trade goes.  But I think the Ducks will be inspired by the trade to play better--because players will not want to be traded.  Another thing putting Aberg back into the lineup does is inspires all of the Swedes on the team.  You don't think the Swedes would be inspired having their pal--Aberg--back in the lineup?  Of course they would!  Would an American be inspired if playing in Sweden, to see a fellow American back in the lineup?  Of course!  I say this move helps the Ducks--assuming Aberg is back in the lineup.  We shall see! 

You don't have to trade Cogs to play Aberg, you could sit Gibbons. 

Also this:

Trade came together last night. First conversations with Ducks started about a week ago. Stars were also discussing moving other players as well.

6 minutes ago, Drake12 said:

Still digesting. Was ready to throw Randy in the stocks after his jerk comment to the reporter the other night, ready to send Murray up the river after his comments on the players and keeping Carlyle last night. Then, I wake up to this.

Cogs was not the problem. The dressing room has been problematic for some time. But Cogs wasn't it. Hustle was there, the persistence was there, the Corsi nerd credentials were there. He scored last night for crying out loud. He's done yeoman's work for this club for a long time, because Edmonton gave up on him and the Ducks gave him a second chance. Whatever heart this team had left, it lost a big chunk this morning.

Dallas has a bad locker room, Lites called out Seguin and Benn, Montgomery's made comments about the team culture being bad. I really hope we're not getting another Ritchie out of this deal, we've got one already. And if it's Ritchie with a bad attitude, we really don't need him. 

Cogs'll go on a tear, might even score a letter. The front office did him dirty, and the team's no better for it.

From the DALL HF boards, Dallas culture is huge issue.  Shore was not the problem.

4 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Shore has 17 points in 42 games, is 24, and costs less.   Cogs wasn't very good at all this year.  Going to miss him, but I like this trade for the Ducks.  

Agreed. I like the trade. Cogs wasn’t a scorer. BUT I don’t see how this helps overall especially in the morale department when you make a statement after a record series of loses to then trade perhaps the best locker room guy and the single player who gave it his all every single time he hit the ice. If this isn’t part of a larger trade then this is definitely the wrong message to the rest of the team. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Agreed. I like the trade. Cogs wasn’t a scorer. BUT I don’t see how this helps overall especially in the morale department when you make a statement after a record series of loses to then trade perhaps the best locker room guy and the single player who gave it his all every single time he hit the ice. If this isn’t part of a larger trade then this is definitely the wrong message to the rest of the team. 

rarely is a trade made with the short term in mind. (those are made at the deadline for a run at the cup)  I think it has very little, if anything to do with the current streak, and more like an opportunity to trade a 3.25m player for a 2.3mil player that has a year less on his deal and will be a RFA, get younger, and possibly get more offense.

Edited by JiggyToTheCup

38 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

BM keeps repeating getting faster but he traded for a player that is slower.

What good is speed without hands?

27 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

From the DALL HF boards, Dallas culture is huge issue.  Shore was not the problem.

Reading that thread linked higher up made me happy we've got this board. HF is an aesthetic nightmare. Glad he's not part of the dumpster fire that is Dallas' dressing room, but I don't see his upside. His point production has been roughly 30-35 per, more apples than goals. Bad FO% until this year, definitely not a driver of play. 

Honestly, I was kind of piddleed when Dallas picked Montgomery up last May. He's had success as a player-one of PK's teammates the year they won it all at Maine, He guided Denver to a national title with guys like Troy Terry, Will Butcher playing for him two years ago against a good UMD team. (Ducks were out of the playoffs in time to sign him.) I think he'd have been better managing the young guys in concert with Eakins than Carlyle has been.

6 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

What good is speed without hands?

From what I've read, Shore is more of a passer than shooter. If he doesn't have the pass, the puck dies on his stick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DuckFan4Life said:

From what I've read, Shore is more of a passer than shooter. If he doesn't have the pass, the puck dies on his stick. 

My point is if you have a player with speed that cant put the puck in the net or make passes then how effective is the speed of said player? 

13 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

rarely is a trade made with the short term in mind. (those are made at the deadline for a run at the cup)  I think it has very little, if anything to do with the current streak, and more like an opportunity to trade a 3.25m player for a 2.3mil player that has a year less on his deal and will be a RFA, get younger, and possibly get more offense.

I don't think BM had anything in mind. How can you trade (after an 11 game losing streak) your hardest working player and sell that in a lockerroom?

And if the money was the problem, who gave him that contract in the 1st place? 

No this is a boneheaded move of a desperate GM.

• Like 4

Cogs is a good player to have on a team with a decent chance to do some damage in the playoffs, or even better an actual Cup contender. Ducks are neither so it makes sense to trade him for a younger/cheaper option with more potential team control. Perhaps Murray could have gotten a 2nd round pick for him at the deadline or an interesting prospect, but I guess Murray likes Shore more than a potential prospect, and a 2nd round pick on a playoff team would likely be closer to a 3rd anyway. The value seems decent. 

I get fans have an emotional attachment to Cogs, and I liked his intangibles. That said, there’s very little downside to this move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Until this season, the production was very similar, with Cogliano actually the better producer.  And some of Cogliano's reduced production can be chalked up to reduced minutes.  And Cogliano was a valuable penalty killer and though he may not have scored much, he maintained decent possession numbers.  I think this is a slight downgrade, or at best a lateral move.  I guess the cap savings are fine, but that's mitigated by removing a fan favorite and great locker room guy.  It ultimately depends on what the cap savings are used for, but the Ducks are at best no better today than they were yesterday.

Agreed. People are looking at Shore's overall numbers and thinking he's more productive, but its just not true. He's got 0G/1A in his last 15 games and hasn't scored a goal in his last 23 games. Does anyone expect that to improve in RC's scheme? Especially if he slides right into Cogliano's role on the Kesler "shut-down" line? Shore is younger and cheaper. He's not better. He simply benefited from s stupidly high shooting percentage early in the season.

Also, lol to those talking about Cogliano's hands going because of his age. First, his hands were never that good. Second, he's 31, not 41. He's two years younger than Getzlaf. Hands don't go at 31. :lol:

Lastly, I'm not happy with this trade but I'm reluctant to get out the pitchforks on this one. Unless/until I hear that Cogs was disappointed and wanted to stay with the Ducks, a part of me will wonder if he may be happy with this move and may have even asked for it. Cogs was very vocal about how much he liked playing for BB, and I never got the impression he was all that keen on RC's collapsing style of play that didn't allow him to be as aggressive on the forecheck. And if we're looking at a re-tool/re-build, it's conceivable he may have wanted to go somewhere that has higher aspirations than our current front office does. You also have to wonder if the organization's reaction to his suspension was also discouraging and made him feel like the Ducks ownership and brass didn't really have his back. That's all speculation, but the point is that a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes that we fans don't hear about, and its certainly possible that this is one of those situations where more is at play than we will ever know about.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I don't think BM had anything in mind. How can you trade (after an 11 game losing streak) your hardest working player and sell that in a lockerroom?

And if the money was the problem, who gave him that contract in the 1st place? 

No this is a boneheaded move of a desperate GM.

I think this is BM's way of saying if you guys don't want to put in the effort then we don't need the only player that does. I personally hope the bosses let RC and BM go down with this sinking ship the rest of the season and relieve them in the offseason. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agreed. People are looking at Shore's overall numbers and thinking he's more productive, but its just not true. He's got 0G/1A in his last 15 games and hasn't scored a goal in his last 23 games. Does anyone expect that to improve in RC's scheme? Especially if he slides right into Cogliano's role on the Kesler "shut-down" line? Shore is younger and cheaper. He's not better. He simply benefited from s stupidly high shooting percentage early in the season.

Also, lol to those talking about Cogliano's hands going because of his age. First, his hands were never that good. Second, he's 31, not 41. He's two years younger than Getzlaf. Hands don't go at 31. :lol:

Lastly, I'm not happy with this trade but I'm reluctant to get out the pitchforks on this one. Unless/until I hear that Cogs was disappointed and wanted to stay with the Ducks, a part of me will wonder if he may be happy with this move and may have even asked for it. Cogs was very vocal about how much he liked playing for BB, and I never got the impression he was all that keen on RC's collapsing style of play that didn't allow him to be as aggressive on the forecheck. And if we're looking at a re-tool/re-build, it's conceivable he may have wanted to go somewhere that has higher aspirations than our current front office does. You also have to wonder if the organization's reaction to his suspension was also discouraging and made him feel like the Ducks ownership and brass didn't really have his back. That's all speculation, but the point is that a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes that we fans don't hear about, and its certainly possible that this is one of those situations where more is at play than we will ever know about.

Dallas isn't really well known for that either. It's a complete nightmare over there that kinda makes Ottawas off-season look like Candyland. Bob basically Wisniewski'd the Cogliano.

All speculation on part too. :P.

Edited by poum
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

My point is if you have a player with speed that cant put the puck in the net or make passes then how effective is the speed of said player? 

Shore hasn't been putting the puck in the net either so you lost speed for a player who also doesn't score. Cogs speed was a huge plus for the PK. Also keep in mind that Cogs not only played on a shutdown line, he's been playing with an injured Kesler the last 2+ years. 

Yep, THIS was the move that needed to be made. Incredible how Murray can insult the fans by pledging his loyalty to a guy who has steered this team head on into an iceberg only to turn around and trade away a fan favourite hours later in a pointless panic move. I wasn't even this angry when they suspended him last season.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Shore hasn't been putting the puck in the net either so you lost speed for a player who also doesn't score. Cogs speed was a huge plus for the PK. Also keep in mind that Cogs not only played on a shutdown line, he's been playing with an injured Kesler the last 2+ years. 

Look at the 33/17/7 line. 33 has been hamstrung all year by the lack of support. 17 cant skate so he is no longer effective on the forecheck and when is in offensive zone is told to park in front of the net. 7 gets on the forecheck but has no size to force players off the puck, fumbles on pass attempts and lacks shooting accuracy. So 33 all season has had to create opportunities for himself and is the reason his productivity has been on the decline. Shore may not be the answer but whoever takes Cogs spot will provide an upgrade in the scoring chance column. 

End of a fraking era.  

I mean, we'll see what happens, but I don't think this trade will pan out for us.  I deperately hope it works for Cogs, but I expect it would have been better for him to have gone to the BlackHawks.

• Like 1