Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Myuyum

Cogs traded for Shore. Goodbye :(

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Yep, THIS was the move that needed to be made. Incredible how Murray can insult the fans by pledging his loyalty to a guy who has steered this team head on into an iceberg only to turn around and trade away a fan favourite hours later in a pointless panic move. I wasn't even this angry when they suspended him last season.

How is this a panic move?   Not seeing that at all.

It's a move to get rid of an aging 3.25M player that isn't producing for someone very similar at 2.3m, with one less year on his contract.  Has nothing to do with losing streak IMO. 

Insulting the fans?    If a GM is considering fans emotions as any one of the criteria for a trade, then that's the worst GM of all time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fisix said:

End of a fraking era.  

I mean, we'll see what happens, but I don't think this trade will pan out for us.  I deperately hope it works for Cogs, but I expect it would have been better for him to have gone to the BlackHawks.

?! A team that is doing worse than us???

He'd be better off going to like Toronto...or...Tampa...or Winnipeg or Nashville. But unfortunately, those teams probably weren't knocking on Bob's door.

Although, man...a trade with toronto...like Cogs/Monty or Fowler or one of the D...or a prospect...for Nylander sounds pretty nice lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I guess the one thing that could happen, aside from making room for other players on the 2nd line, is to make some space for a big move before this season is out.

I hate to bring up the thing, but Toronto needs defense, badly, if they're going to make a successful run this year.  They have some big moves they need to make, money wise, by the start of next season.  They did quite well without Nylander, and they've been fairly good since, but they have offense out the butt and need some defense.

So, given the NMCs, we are kind of limited, and I don't think we want to ship a forward with a lot of upside to get Nylander, but we need to lose at least two players worth of salary to make it happen.  We probably have all the LTIR we need for the rest of this season... CP has had very few updates, and a lot of silence in between.

So... i guess it could be that we're making room for a bigger player trade with Dallas... and I guess there's strife in Dallas, but Dallas doesn't appear to mesh with us as far as weaknesses and strengths.  Toronto does.  And we have a history of trades with them.

So, next up.  One of our top 4 defense to Toronto, plus a prospect, we take on Nylander, maybe they pay us a little for this season and next, maybe the one after that.

Just be ready.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

How is this a panic move?   Not seeing that at all.

It's a move to get rid of an aging 3.25M player that isn't producing for someone very similar at 2.3m, with one less year on his contract.  Has nothing to do with losing streak IMO. 

Insulting the fans?    If a GM is considering fans emotions as any one of the criteria for a trade, then that's the worst GM of all time.

This "aging" thing is making me laugh. :lol:  Cogliano is 31 and may be the best conditioned athlete in the entire league. I'll bet anyone here that Cogliano plays more NHL games than Shore does from here on out. Probably score more goals than him too.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

?! A team that is doing worse than us???

He'd be better off going to like Toronto...or...Tampa...or Winnipeg or Nashville. But unfortunately, those teams probably weren't knocking on Bob's door.

Although, man...a trade with toronto...like Cogs/Monty or Fowler or one of the D...or a prospect...for Nylander sounds pretty nice lol

I was thinking a team that was more likely to keep playing him this season and next.  I think he'd get more respect from the league there.  Toronto doesn't need another forward, as far as I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

There is no trade out there that makes this possible.  Goalies like Gibson come around rarely.  Any trade would make the Ducks worse.  If San Jose had Gibson, they might only lose 10 games max.

If the Ducks are stuck with the Perry Kesler and Eaves contracts, and an internal budget, Gibson is going to have to carry the team for the next couple seasons. He deserves better than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fisix said:

I was thinking a team that was more likely to keep playing him this season and next.  I think he'd get more respect from the league there.  Toronto doesn't need another forward, as far as I can tell.

Ahh I see, I see. In that case he should go to like Pittsburgh lol

Yeah, they don't. But I was thinking they'd take a "lesser" forward with veteran experience to make up for the loss of Nylander along with one of our D. Nylander is a big deal and a straight 1 for 1 trade I'd think maybe wouldn't be enough. Plus it could have helped with us not getting rid of one of our top 4 D. I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

This "aging" thing is making me laugh. :lol:  Cogliano is 31 and may be the best conditioned athlete in the entire league. I'll bet anyone here that Cogliano plays more NHL games than Shore does from here on out. Probably score more goals than him too.

That might be true, but his play was in decline all year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thom-74 said:

If the Ducks are stuck with the Perry Kesler and Eaves contracts, and an internal budget, Gibson is going to have to carry the team for the next couple seasons. He deserves better than that.

Totally agree.   I want a very good pick if we are going to all suffer like this.  I would play Gibson 50-60% of the time the rest of the way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

#NHLDucks Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray: "We want to thank Cogs (Andrew Cogliano) for his eight years of hard work, showing up every day and being a professional. We hope for nothing but the best for him and his family."

Hey Bob....Shove It!  Thanks for proving it's not a sport, it's a business.  So much for loyalty.  Perhaps if you hadn't paid $9M+ for a paperweight sitting at home getting his college degree, you would have had some scraps left over for guys who actually showed up every day.

I will in turn show similar loyalty by selling our tickets to most of the remaining games, and watching on TV from home.  No wonder you felt the need to honor a guy who also demonstrated "loyalty."  I guess he was right too.....it's just a business, and the fans really have no bearing on the choices teams/players make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

That might be true, but his play was in decline all year. 

Aside from Gibson and maybe Kase, whose play hasn't been in decline this year? Its not right to blame Cogs' lack of points on age when the whole team has been struggling to score.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Totally agree.   I want a very good pick if we are going to all suffer like this.  I would play Gibson 50-60% of the time the rest of the way.

dont worry, once Perry is back in the lineup we become even slower and continue to increase our chances of winning the draft lotto.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Hey Bob....Shove It!  Thanks for proving it's not a sport, it's a business.  So much for loyalty.  Perhaps if you hadn't paid $9M+ for a paperweight sitting at home getting his college degree, you would have had some scraps left over for guys who actually showed up every day.

I will in turn show similar loyalty by selling our tickets to most of the remaining games, and watching on TV from home.  No wonder you felt the need to honor a guy who also demonstrated "loyalty."  I guess he was right too.....it's just a business, and the fans really have no bearing on the choices teams/players make.

...nor should they?

So you love keeping people 'cause of loyalty? Big important, factor, right? You must be super stoked that he's backing Carlyle, then! Oh....you're not? So you probably just like to pick and choose when loyalty should be a factor, huh?

I'd happily take those tickets off your hand...I'd pay $5 per. Great way to "stick to the man" -- take away money that I would normally be paying much more for and directly to management!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Ahh I see, I see. In that case he should go to like Pittsburgh lol

Lets not go crazy.

18 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Totally agree.   I want a very good pick if we are going to all suffer like this.  I would play Gibson 50-60% of the time the rest of the way.

I think we're looking to support Gibson as much as we can for awards this season... and I don't think Gibby would want to sit that much.

That said, once Miller is back, he's going in to get his record wins solidified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Aside from Gibson and maybe Kase, whose play hasn't been in decline this year? Its not right to blame Cogs' lack of points on age when the whole team has been struggling to score.

Ritchie is on the upswing.   The rest of the team has been dog doo.   I was talking about Cogs overall play, not just his points.   He had a really good game around 3-4 games ago, and I thought that was the old Cogs.  His minutes have been going down the last dozen games.

I don't think the trade is going to change the team much at all. Just one less year and almost a mil saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Lets not go crazy.

I think we're looking to support Gibson as much as we can for awards this season... and I don't think Gibby would want to sit that much.

That said, once Miller is back, he's going in to get his record wins solidified.

Depending on how BM truly feels about this team come the deadline...I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller shipped. A good, reliable back up is not easy to come by...and there will be some good teams hoping to make a deep run in need of a good back-up. And we have no need for him if we aren't expecting to make a big run. We needed him in 2017...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Lets not go crazy.

I think we're looking to support Gibson as much as we can for awards this season... and I don't think Gibby would want to sit that much.

That said, once Miller is back, he's going in to get his record wins solidified.

He has his new contract...   Not sure he cares a whole lot about any awards in a bad year like this.   I want to keep him healthy and not wear him out in a bad season.  This team needs a young sniper in the worst way.  I would not mind winding up with Kakko at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank You Andrew Cogliano for your Contributions to the Ducks...your Ironman Record will be forever be remember. best of Luck on your Future Endeavors in hockey, Welcome to the Ducks Devin Shore.

Alright Let me just this right now...after the pleasantries...HOW THE FRAK does this snap this team OUT OF THE Funk...Anyway...ANYBODY. I mean SERIOUSLY. It's Tough and Disgraceful Ducks are on 11 game Losing Skid...But Trade Cogs? WHAT message does it give. Please SPARE me the Negative BS...IF most of you do feel this team should tank for some Stupid high Draft Pick...I disagree. I rather see this team try and GIVE it their all......yet it seems STUBBORN IGNORANCE is the issue. OH  BTW...HockeyZCool Feel Free to Leave...your Negative BS is annoying.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Lets not go crazy.

I think we're looking to support Gibson as much as we can for awards this season... and I don't think Gibby would want to sit that much.

That said, once Miller is back, he's going in to get his record wins solidified.

If he continues to face the number of shots and odd-man rushes he has faced all season, do you really think his save percentage will benefit. I don't see Gibby getting an award unless the team steps up to protect him. At that time, his crazy saves will make a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

If he continues to face the number of shots and odd-man rushes he has faced all season, do you really think his save percentage will benefit. I don't see Gibby getting an award unless the team steps up to protect him. At that time, his crazy saves will make a difference.

True. Gibby only gets an award if we make the playoffs. He might get a nomination...but he wont win it. If we make the playoffs...he wins Vezina most likely (depending on his stats of course). If we get top 3 or top of division...he wins Vezina and Hart. No question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

True. Gibby only gets an award if we make the playoffs. He might get a nomination...but he wont win it. If we make the playoffs...he wins Vezina most likely (depending on his stats of course). If we get top 3 or top of division...he wins Vezina and Hart. No question.

He only gets an award if we go like 32-5 the rest of the way and wins 30 of those games with 10 SO's.  He has to be way above any other goalie in consideration.  No one that votes for this Dehydrated Donkey Dung will ever vote for a Duck if it's close.

Edited by JiggyToTheCup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thom-74 said:

If the Ducks are stuck with the Perry Kesler and Eaves contracts, and an internal budget, Gibson is going to have to carry the team for the next couple seasons. He deserves better than that.

Eaves only has 1 year left and honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see Kesler get bought out. 

Hopefully we can be good again in a few years and not waste Gibson's best seasons.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ducks07 said:

dont worry, once Perry is back in the lineup we become even slower and continue to increase our chances of winning the draft lotto.

Yes, we'll get worse when our third highest scorer is back in the lineup.  This is similar thinking to Murray who seems to believe that having the puck less will bring positive results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

OH  BTW...HockeyZCool Feel Free to Leave...your Negative BS is annoying.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I've been attending Ducks games since day 1, so I've spent enough money on this club over 25 years to voice whatever opinion I feel like.  Cogs was one of my favorite players on the team, but aside from that, he was one of the most consistent, and hardest working player around.  After the way management dealt with his suspension, by basically rolling over, this move doesn't surprise me.  I wouldn't be surprised if Cogliano doesn't mind leaving either given the lack of support from the club.

This was not an OH WOW trade, where anybody can say that we got the better end of it, and improved our roster in a dramatic way.  All it looks like is we traded someone who is perhaps having a challenging year, for another mid level player who before today most Ducks fans have probably never heard of before.  So we got a little bit younger, and saved a little bit of salary, but IMO this was merely a trade for the sake of making a trade.  And it comes at the cost of an 8 year roster member, who signed an extension to stay here less than a year ago.

Besides, there needs to be some balance to the "Ducks Can Do No Wrong" optimism which some come here day in and day out to express, as if it has any more bearing on this team's success, than the calls for Carlyle's or Murray's ouster.  If this were a Canadian team, or a NY team, the comments on this board would be a lot more antagonistic than they are.  Hockey is barely even followed here in So Cal, and the fact my negativity is noticed, shows how passive people are to the moves by the Ducks.  They supposedly want fans like myself to attend games, yet they go ahead and trade one of the team's favorite players.  But I guess the club needed to save a few bucks, so they can afford to pay Eaves to run sprints on the ice during practice for the next 1 1/2 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow Ducks will face our Enemy...Detroit. They have  Chance to Break this Losing Skid and they should know we expect a Win No more No Less.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

Not happy about this at all.

I guess we should have known something was up last game when Cogs was not playing with Kesler and Silfverberg. He scores a rare goal and gets traded. I guess Murray didn't like his comments in the post game interview..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nieder said:

What is the logic here? Getting younger and saving some money? The team has already lost 11 in a row and now the locker room loses a well liked guy that always gave 110%. I'm not sure how this helps team morale to be honest.

I don't know anything about Shore. Is he fast?

Cogliano's salary was too high for his production and lack of scoring ability. A classic salary dump. I surprised Dallas was interested in him though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This move just makes me sad. Coupled with the complete disillusionment I’m feeling towards this team. I get the move. But man, trading a great community guy, great leader, hardest working guy on the team just saddens me. This team just bums me out this year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I've been attending Ducks games since day 1, so I've spent enough money on this club over 25 years to voice whatever opinion I feel like.  Cogs was one of my favorite players on the team, but aside from that, he was one of the most consistent, and hardest working player around.  After the way management dealt with his suspension, by basically rolling over, this move doesn't surprise me.  I wouldn't be surprised if Cogliano doesn't mind leaving either given the lack of support from the club.

That wouldn't surprise me either. Cogs is a straight up classy guy and I don't expect him to be candid about this team...but I'd be very curious to see what his comments/thoughts are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sexlaf15 said:

This move just makes me sad. Coupled with the complete disillusionment I’m feeling towards this team. I get the move. But man, trading a great community guy, great leader, hardest working guy on the team just saddens me. This team just bums me out this year. 

Couldn't tell if you said bums or burns....but, it didn't matter lol I agree with both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...