The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Myuyum

Cogs traded for Shore. Goodbye :(

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

#7 - Neal Broten - Retired By Dallas Stars - 2/7/98

Ah, thanks!

still, #17 is an interesting choice.

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Look at his numbers. He doesn’t score as much so he’ll never get the recognition, but before this season he’s been o e of the best defensive defensemen and was progressing offensively. Fans have short memories, but he’s been our best defensemen at shutting things down in our zone. 

Yep young ,big body and our top goal scoring Dman last season.Used against oppositions top line and PK.

Anyone else find it interesting that Cogliano thanked the Samuelis (by name), his teammates, and us fans, but not the coaches or front office? In his interview this morning with Dallas media about how he found out about the trade, he also didn't refer to GMBM by name:

"Woke up around 9:20 and saw Anaheim's GM's name on my phone," Cogliano said. "He wasn't calling to say good game last night. It was pure excitement when you find out. It's not the first time I've been traded before, but it's the first time it's happened in season. A little different, but it's exciting for me. I'm looking forward to it."

"I think I could have used the change, to be honest," Cogliano said.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2019/01/15/forward-andrew-cogliano-joins-stars-after-trade-anaheim-think-could-used-change-honest

I also think it's weird that the team sent Cogs out to do the post-game interview with Frenchy after the last game, knowing already that a trade was imminent (or may have already been done). Why would they do that?

It also seems like a brutal time for a trade since Cogliano's wife is due to give birth in about a month. Given that this trade was a 1-for-1 lateral move that didn't bring back a player with a different skill set or fill an urgent need on the team, and that GMBM doesn't think this team is going to go anywhere in the playoffs anyway, the timing of the trade seems especially harsh. Almost vindictive even. Can't help but wonder if there's some bad blood there between Cogs and GMBM for some reason.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Anyone else find it interesting that Cogliano thanked the Samuelis (by name), his teammates, and us fans, but not the coaches or front office? In his interview this morning with Dallas media about how he found out about the trade, he also didn't refer to GMBM by name:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2019/01/15/forward-andrew-cogliano-joins-stars-after-trade-anaheim-think-could-used-change-honest

I also think it's weird that the team sent Cogs out to do the post-game interview with Frenchy after the last game, knowing already that a trade was imminent (or may have already been done). Why would they do that?

It also seems like a brutal time for a trade since Cogliano's wife is due to give birth in about a month. Given that this trade was a 1-for-1 lateral move that didn't bring back a player with a different skill set or fill an urgent need on the team, and that GMBM doesn't think this team is going to go anywhere in the playoffs anyway, the timing of the trade seems especially harsh. Almost vindictive even. Can't help but wonder if there's some bad blood there between Cogs and GMBM for some reason.

this is quite a reach in several ways...
1) Don't know exactly when the trade was finalized.  It could have easily been that morning.  Many trades are finalized after games and announced right then. The "team" does not send out a player to be interviewed. Frenchy sets those up.  I doubt he knew anything.
2) Players are on the road 50% of the time. It sucks that there is a month to go, but this opportunity most likely would not be there in a month. Teams and criteria change on a daily basis. A lot of this trade was the STARS NEED for a vet presence in the locker room. Ducks wanted to get younger and reduce payroll. Boom, it gets done

Cogs for sure left out Murrays name on purpose IMO.  First thing I noticed also when they posted Cogs first announcement. I doubt Cogs is happy about the way the streak ended and handled.  I personally think after all the referee crap we go through, the Ducks have a policy of no comment, as they don't want to pay the costly fines.

Disclaimer: I have a good friend that is a baseball player agent. We've spent dozens of hours talking about what goes on behind the scenes. He signed Kinsler to his first $22mil deal. I have also been to the Baseball Winter meetings twice.  I've listened to several GM's discuss trades there.  They can be very complicated talks, or they can be agreed to on a whim. The GM's constantly check in with each other and each has a small group he's made friends with that they call constantly.  That's why you see certain teams trade with each other alot.   My take on this trade is that it was reported that they had been talking about a week about a few players. Dallas Coach went off on TV about his players, deal gets done to light the asses of all the players on both teams, and the Ducks get younger and less $$.

Edited by JiggyToTheCup
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

the timing of the trade seems especially harsh. Almost vindictive even. Can't help but wonder if there's some bad blood there between Cogs and GMBM for some reason.

If there wasn't before, there probably is now. 

Mommies tend not to want to leave their comfort doctors in the last month of pregnancy... and i forget, but there's also some kind of general, possibly informal, flight restrictions.  She ain't taking a bus out there.  Yeah, pretty harsh.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

As if we needed more fat, juicy dripping conspiracy theories. the plot thickens

3 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Mommies tend not to want to leave their comfort doctors in the last month of pregnancy... and i forget, but there's also some kind of general, possibly informal, flight restrictions.  She ain't taking a bus out there.  Yeah, pretty harsh.  

She's not going anywhere...   He has a 50% chance of being on the road :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

this is quite a reach in several ways...
1) Don't know exactly when the trade was finalized.  It could have easily been that morning.  Many trades are finalized after games and announced right then. The "team" does not send out a player to be interviewed. Frenchy sets those up.  I doubt he knew anything.
2) Players are on the road 50% of the time. It sucks that there is a month to go, but this opportunity most likely would not be there in a month. Teams and criteria change on a daily basis. A lot of this trade was the STARS NEED for a vet presence in the locker room. Ducks wanted to get younger and reduce payroll. Boom, it gets done

Cogs for sure left out Murrays name on purpose IMO.  First thing I noticed also when they posted Cogs first announcement. I doubt Cogs is happy about the way the streak ended and handled.  I personally think after all the referee crap we go through, the Ducks have a policy of no comment, as they don't want to pay the costly fines.

Disclaimer: I have a good friend that is a baseball player agent. We've spent dozens of hours talking about what goes on behind the scenes. He signed Kinsler to his first $22mil deal. I have also been to the Baseball Winter meetings twice.  I've listened to several GM's discuss trades there.  They can be very complicated talks, or they can be agreed to on a whim. The GM's constantly check in with each other and each has a small group he's made friends with that they call constantly.  That's why you see certain teams trade with each other alot.   My take on this trade is that it was reported that they had been talking about a week about a few players. Dallas Coach went off on TV about his players, deal gets done to light the asses of all the players on both teams, and the Ducks get younger and less $$.

I don't think this is true. In don't believe that Frenchy gets to pick who he will interview. The team makes players available for interviews, whether its during intermission or after games. And the players are contractually obligated to do interviews when instructed by the team. Player-media relations are highly controlled by the organization.

Nill also said this about the trade:

Nill said the deal came together relatively quickly, with him and Ducks general manager Bob Murray talking last week and negotiations intensifying over the last few days. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2019/01/14/stars-acquire-lw-andrew-cogliano-ducks-devin-shore-gm-jim-nill-say-deal#/questions

I also haven't seen it reported anywhere that Nill was looking at any other Duck besides Cogs. They needed a veteran who plays hard and can be a leader on and off the ice to try to repair their broken locker room. Cogs was the only one of those we had available to trade. So in my mind this trade was imminent on Sunday night and I think my original comment was fair - the team made Cogs available for the interview even though they knew the trade was imminent.

That seems weird to me. They could have just as easily sent Rowney out to speak with Frenchy after his 3-point night. Why send Cogs to face the questions after their 11th straight loss, knowing that he is about to be traded?

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think this is true. In don't believe that Frenchy gets to pick who he will interview. The team makes players available for interviews, whether its during intermission or after games. And the players are contractually obligated to do interviews when instructed by the team. Player-media relations are highly controlled by the organization.

Nill also said this about the trade:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2019/01/14/stars-acquire-lw-andrew-cogliano-ducks-devin-shore-gm-jim-nill-say-deal#/questions

I also haven't seen it reported anywhere that Nill was looking at any other Duck besides Cogs. They needed a veteran who plays hard and can be a leader on and off the ice to try to repair their broken locker room. Cogs was the only one of those we had available to trade. So in my mind this trade was imminent on Sunday night and I think my original comment was fair - the team made Cogs available for the interview even though they knew the trade was imminent.

That seems weird to me. They could have just as easily sent Rowney out to speak with Frenchy after his 3-point night. Why send Cogs to face the questions after their 11th straight loss, knowing that he is about to be traded?

The after game interviews are set in advance for sure. The players are rotated.  So Cogs was probably already set before the game even started and I doubt Frenchy knew anything about the trade.

I was thinking more in game between periods when I posted. Frenchy usually sets those up based on who has done well.

23 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

She's not going anywhere...   He has a 50% chance of being on the road :D

If she stays in SoCal, he now has a 100% chance of being on the road.

Also, if he stayed with the Ducks, he would have played 13 of the final 19 games this season in SoCal, with a day trip to Arizona mixed in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

If she stays in SoCal, he now has a 100% chance of being on the road.

Also, if he stayed with the Ducks, he would have played 13 of the final 19 games this season in SoCal, with a day trip to Arizona mixed in. 

that's all good, but rarely is this stuff part of a trade criteria.

4 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

The after game interviews are set in advance for sure. The players are rotated.  So Cogs was probably already set before the game even started and I doubt Frenchy knew anything about the trade.

I was thinking more in game between periods when I posted. Frenchy usually sets those up based on who has done well.

Well that's an amazing coincidence then. Frenchy somehow always ends up talking to the guy who had a solid night on the score sheet and never the guy who was a -3 or was embarrassed for the game-losing goal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

They could have just as easily sent Rowney out to speak with Frenchy after his 3-point night. Why send Cogs to face the questions after their 11th straight loss, knowing that he is about to be traded?

They prob didn’t want to make Cogs suspicious. It could have then gone something like this>>>>

***Frenchys assistant goes and grabs Cogs

Frenchy: “oh no no no. Not him... ‘definitely’ not him (as he eyes Cogs strangely). Go grab Rowney instead”

Cogs to himself: hmmm. My Cogli-senses are tingling. That was sure weird. Something is going down. 

Edited by RobD360
  • Like 1

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Well that's an amazing coincidence then. Frenchy somehow always ends up talking to the guy who had a solid night on the score sheet and never the guy who was a -3 or was embarrassed for the game-losing goal.

ok, I'm going to say they use to be.  I remember the days when the post game interview were at the national sports grill, and I was told that the players rotated during the season.  

13 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

ok, I'm going to say they use to be.  I remember the days when the post game interview were at the national sports grill, and I was told that the players rotated during the season.  

I should also correct myself. It was the interview with Jill, not Frenchy. I think Frenchy gets more interviews in the locker room with guys standing in front of their lockers, but usually when Jill has a guy post-game in front of the Ducks banner, it has a more "official team spokesman" aspect to it. That's what bugs me about this interview knowing what we know now:

https://www.foxsports.com/west/video/1425155139852

• Like 2

Post game radio interviews in Jack Daniels are scheduled latest the week of the game.  Those schedules change and interviews are reassigned as people become unavailable, or the team requires players to be in the locker room for post game yelling.  Most of the time the planned series generally stays the same.

Pregame television interviews are scheduled day of or a little earlier, but enough to give the player a heads up that they should skate to the bench during warmups for a chat.

Inter-period and 3-stars post game TV interviews are set up during the preceding period, though sometimes day of (e.g., earlier) if special circumstances (new trade, first period back after injury, etc.).  Post game lineup of TV player interviews is loosely scheduled during the game, but is subject to player availability/desire and special circumstances, and if super special circumstances, can be pre-arranged days prior (like playoff hockey, NBCSN requests certain players be made available).

Coach post game TV interviews are supposed to be mandatory, every game.

The team is supposed to loosely manage the radio and TV "face time" so that all the players who want it can get at least some, and all the players that people ask for get interviewed eventually.

There's a chance that Cogs was rotated in on purpose, but I don't think vindictively.  I think it's more likely that the trade was secret from those that were arranging the interviews, and it was Cog's time based on his game performance.

People keep talking like the Cogs interview was something special.  I haven't seen it yet, but was it not just the typical hockey interview?  Frenchie has been known to ask good questions time to time, but most of them are softballs, especially when the team is on a slide.

The above is based on 1-1 conversations with Jill, Kent, Hazy, Steve, Kerdiles' mom, and (wow, just sort of counted up) somewhere around 2 decades of games, a lot of home games watched live.  I didn't pound them with questions on this topic, but for the broadcasters, I did ask about how they chose their interviews.

Did I mention that I don't really like the guy they got to replace Kent Walls?  Wishing Dawn a speeder recovery.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Post game radio interviews in Jack Daniels are scheduled latest the week of the game.  Those schedules change and interviews are reassigned as people become unavailable, or the team requires players to be in the locker room for post game yelling.  Most of the time the planned series generally stays the same.

Pregame television interviews are scheduled day of or a little earlier, but enough to give the player a heads up that they should skate to the bench during warmups for a chat.

Inter-period and 3-stars post game TV interviews are set up during the preceding period, though sometimes day of (e.g., earlier) if special circumstances (new trade, first period back after injury, etc.).  Post game lineup of TV player interviews is loosely scheduled during the game, but is subject to player availability/desire and special circumstances, and if super special circumstances, can be pre-arranged days prior (like playoff hockey, NBCSN requests certain players be made available).

Coach post game TV interviews are supposed to be mandatory, every game.

The team is supposed to loosely manage the radio and TV "face time" so that all the players who want it can get at least some, and all the players that people ask for get interviewed eventually.

There's a chance that Cogs was rotated in on purpose, but I don't think vindictively.  I think it's more likely that the trade was secret from those that were arranging the interviews, and it was Cog's time based on his game performance.

People keep talking like the Cogs interview was something special.  I haven't seen it yet, but was it not just the typical hockey interview?  Frenchie has been known to ask good questions time to time, but most of them are softballs, especially when the team is on a slide.

The above is based on 1-1 conversations with Jill, Kent, Hazy, Steve, Kerdiles' mom, and (wow, just sort of counted up) somewhere around 2 decades of games, a lot of home games watched live.  I didn't pound them with questions on this topic, but for the broadcasters, I did ask about how they chose their interviews.

Did I mention that I don't really like the guy they got to replace Kent Walls?  Wishing Dawn a speeder recovery.

Great info! Thanks Fisix!

The first bolded seems to suggest that Cogs was probably chosen for the interview during the game, possibly just because he scored. Ritchie gave the interview after the Pittsburgh game after scoring the opening goal in that game. Just browsing the Fox Sports video list, I also see Fowler interviewed post-game after his first game back and Getzlaf interviewed post-game after the 2-1 OT loss to Tampa (he played pretty well that night) but other than those four guys I don't see a player interview - again, I'm talking the interviews in front of the team banner on FSW, not locker room interviews - posted since the streak started. All the rest of the post-game videos on the Fox Sports website are Carlyle interviews. So at least for the Fox Sports broadcast post-game interviews, I don't see much of a rotation going on.

Question on the second bolded - RC obviously knew the trade was in the works ahead of time. Would he not have had some say in who goes out for an interview after loss #11? Especially since he is also supposed to make himself available for an interview after each game? I also don't think he gave one after the Winnipeg game (after calling that reporter a "jerk" following loss #10 to Pittsburgh), so arguably Cogs was taking the coach's place in the post-game interview slot. 

I've never had a chance to talk with RC, but given his relationship with BM, you're probably right that he was in the know.  Their relationship wouldn't have lasted this long if RC was looselipped, though, and pushing Cogs out for an interview might cross that line. 

Hell, it'd turn into being named the captain of the kids club!

I don't remember anyone saying that the coach ever pushed for a particular player to be interviewed, just the coach overriding a scheduled interview because coach wanted player in the locker room for discussion.  I think captains/ass captains take the place of the coach if he's otherwise unavailable.

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don't think there is any bad blood given that they have negotiated multiple contracts pretty smoothly, and quite recently.

My theory is that BM wanted to send a message to the dressing room, and that Cogs was the perfect person to do so given his stature. I'm sure if that was the case, Cogs wouldn't be happy.

I think the thing that really hurts the most is that obviously we all want to be a competitive team and win the cup. And we all wanted to do that with Cogliano in the line-up. And now we can't. It would have been such an incredibly sight to see, I'm sure...Cogs lifting up the Cup in a Ducks jersey. After all the crap he's been through. The streak. And the hard work. It would show that truly being the hardest working player in the league does pay off. Now...we can't have that. It'll still be good to see him lift it, even if it's with the Stars. But it's not the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

It'll still be good to see him lift it, even if it's with the Stars. But it's not the same.

The Stars don't exactly look like they're much closer to winning the Cup than the Ducks are right now.

45 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

The Stars don't exactly look like they're much closer to winning the Cup than the Ducks are right now.

*or any team that he happens to be on during his career that isn't the Ducks.

• Like 1

I realize personal issues aren't a factor in trades, perhaps an argument for another day.  But it's mighty Cold to trade a player to another state, just before his wife is about to give birth.  They may have had a plan to induce labor during the long break the Ducks have at the end of this month.  Just seems like a D&*K move by management.

So he signs an extension last year, then finds out he may miss his child's birth.....and to add final insult to injury, learns that he'll have to change his # for the first time in his career since Dallas retired #7.  I wouldn't blame him if he had a low opinion of this organization after his years of commitment.

• Like 2

Really liked shore on the second goal he used his size to control puck at the blue line, skated by the defender and went hard to the net and it resulted in a goal.  

Much can be said about the Trade. Let's Give Shore a Chance. I am sure he will be eager to prove himself to all Ducks Fans at the Ponda...Agree Everyone. BTW if you ask me I believe our Ducks will make the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 1/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, Fisix said:

For what he is getting paid she can take a Net-Jet or some other private jet .No problem .  B)

On 1/19/2019 at 10:56 PM, Fowl said:

Cogs losing streak is over.  Dallas 4, Winnepeg 2

Good for him...

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Still bitter.

Yes, the team got a brief kick in the butt and won a couple games. But those post game interviews from that last game. Every one looks defeated and dead inside.

Apparently intangibles is a thing.

• Like 5