The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duck123

Ducks win streak begins 01/16/2019!

The Ducks have now lost 12 games. But I honestly do not think they have played horrible. And the nice thing is that the Ducks are only 2 points behind the last Wild Card Playoff spot!

Let's keep in mind that the Ducks have lost the most games this year, due to injury.  Even yesterday, they lost both Kesler and Silfverberg early in the game.  And they almost won!  Despite all of the games lost to injury, the Ducks are once again almost in a playoff spot.  A lot of credit should go to Coach Carlyle, in my opinion.  How many other teams could be in this position with this many games due to injury?  Even the Blackhawks, who are loaded with talent and have no major injuries, have 6 points less than the Ducks.  

It's time for the Ducks to get a new winning streak, and get back to a playoff spot!  Aberg should be back in the lineup tomorrow night, and hopefully will be inspired to work hard every shift.  And hopefully he will add some offense and be an inspiration to his fellow Swedes.  

Plus, the Ducks will be playing against their old coach, in Coach Boudreau. Maybe that will give a few of the Ducks a little extra motivation to win. 

I say the Ducks win tomorrow night, and start a new winning streak. The Ducks are going to be getting players back from injury before the playoffs begin: Eaves, Perry, Kesler, and Silfverberg.  Once the Ducks are fully loaded, they will be tough to play against if they get into the playoffs.  

Time to get it done, and get a win tomorrow night!  Start a new winning streak!  Let's Go Ducks!!!!

No it doesn’t. I actually hope it doesn’t. And if they do go on some “win” streak it will be a facade masked only by the heroics of Gibson. This team is FAR from being a true PO team. If they got lucky to crawl in they would again be trounced early on, and hard. Better to just tank the rest of the way and get the best draft pick we can. We need it. We can then look forward to a bright season next year with a new coach, couple of young studs synced back into the lineup and we ‘may’ even see a fresh resurgent Perry on a new knee as well. We might also see a new acquired pickup via trade in off-season. And lastly we would have had that higher draft pick too to boot. This season is done especially now that we all know RC is here till the end. Besides Too many positives to look forward to with next season. Sadly not this one  

2 hours ago, duck123 said:

And the nice thing is that the Ducks are only 2 points behind the last Wild Card Playoff spot!

Let's keep in mind that the Ducks have lost the most games this year, due to injury.  Even yesterday, they lost both Kesler and Silfverberg early in the game.  And they almost won!  Despite all of the games lost to injury, the Ducks are once again almost in a playoff spot.  A lot of credit should go to Coach Carlyle, in my opinion.  How many other teams could be in this position with this many games due to injury?  Even the Blackhawks, who are loaded with talent and have no major injuries, have 6 points less than the Ducks.  

1. Also only 7 points ahead of the last place Kings. Another few weeks of losing could see this team in the basement.

2. The injury excuse is wearing thin for me. For the last 3-4 games we have had our entire roster except Perry and Eaves, and the team still looks like absolute crap. You should be giving your credit to Gibson, not Carlyle.

3. The Blackhawks are not 'loaded with talent'. They have arguably the least depth of any team in the league.

11 minutes ago, nieder said:

1. Also only 7 points ahead of the last place Kings. Another few weeks of losing could see this team in the basement.

2. The injury excuse is wearing thin for me. For the last 3-4 games we have had our entire roster except Perry and Eaves, and the team still looks like absolute crap. You should be giving your credit to Gibson, not Carlyle.

3. The Blackhawks are not 'loaded with talent'. They have arguably the least depth of any team in the league.

They've looked like crap this whole time. Even during the beginning run and that run in Nov/Dec...no one was really like...wow this team could be good. It's always been...wow, I can't believe our record is this good despite how we've been playing. Now everything is just balancing out. I don't expect much to happen this season any more...on the trade front and the coaching front. I do expect (and hope) a lot of changes in the off-season. Toronto would have had their playoff run...will be looking to sign Marner and Matthews...will probably need to get rid of Nylander. RC will be gone and hopefully the coaching staff, too. We hopefully have a high draft pick, I still hope we trade Miller for some picks AND AND AND AND then re-sign him again in the off-season. All of this are just hopeful dreams of course.

Being positive is nice. But we shouldn't be positive for short term happiness if it's gonna hurt our long term success. Being low in the standings/not making the playoffs THIS season isn't horrible in the long term.

Does anyone really the ducks can beat the Wild in the next game?  Or New Jersey?  Seriously?  Positive thoughts are nice but reality rules.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

They've looked like crap this whole time. Even during the beginning run and that run in Nov/Dec...no one was really like...wow this team could be good. It's always been...wow, I can't believe our record is this good despite how we've been playing. Now everything is just balancing out. I don't expect much to happen this season any more...on the trade front and the coaching front. I do expect (and hope) a lot of changes in the off-season. Toronto would have had their playoff run...will be looking to sign Marner and Matthews...will probably need to get rid of Nylander. RC will be gone and hopefully the coaching staff, too. We hopefully have a high draft pick, I still hope we trade Miller for some picks AND AND AND AND then re-sign him again in the off-season. All of this are just hopeful dreams of course.

Being positive is nice. But we shouldn't be positive for short term happiness if it's gonna hurt our long term success. Being low in the standings/not making the playoffs THIS season isn't horrible in the long term.

The problem is that the team will start winning again at some point. Gibson is so good that they are in every game even if they are playing poorly - I could totally see the team finishing one spot out of the playoffs and then this terrible season is wasted (as far as getting a high draft pick goes) because our goaltending is so good. 

Though I agree, I don't expect to see much in the way of change moving forward except for moving pending UFAs before the deadline. I fully expect Silf and Miller will be moved for futures. I also think that the reason RC hasn't been fired is because the agreement between him and Murray is to finish out the season and then 'retire' and move into a cushy front office position. In the off-season we will see a new coach brought on board, possibly some roster changes like you mention above, maybe we even see Kesler bought out. This coming off-season is likely to be a time of great change for this team.

Optimism is fine and dandy but even if the Ducks somehow managed to squeeze into a wild card spot, would they even make it out of the first round? I seriously doubt it. Yeah, at some point from now until the end of the regular season I'm sure they will win A game but I have absolutely no confidence in this organization right now. Until RC's and BM's desks have been cleared out, I don't see this organization going anywhere. 

19 minutes ago, nieder said:

The problem is that the team will start winning again at some point. Gibson is so good that they are in every game even if they are playing poorly - I could totally see the team finishing one spot out of the playoffs and then this terrible season is wasted (as far as getting a high draft pick goes) because our goaltending is so good. 

Though I agree, I don't expect to see much in the way of change moving forward except for moving pending UFAs before the deadline. I fully expect Silf and Miller will be moved for futures. I also think that the reason RC hasn't been fired is because the agreement between him and Murray is to finish out the season and then 'retire' and move into a cushy front office position. In the off-season we will see a new coach brought on board, possibly some roster changes like you mention above, maybe we even see Kesler bought out. This coming off-season is likely to be a time of great change for this team.

I think this is spot-on, but at what point does that agreement take a back seat to the dismal results on the ice?

It's not even just the 12 straight losses. It's as much about HOW they've lost. The Ducks have actually blown leads in 8 of the 12 losses, including three games where they had leads of 2+ goals. RC's main selling point was that he was supposed to be great at match-ups and in-game adjustments, and he's also supposed to have a knack for protecting leads and winning games 1-0 or 2-1. So he's basically failed at all of the things that supposedly make him a good coach during this pitiful losing streak.

I know some people do not think we can do damage in the playoffs, if we get in.  I may be one of the very who thinks we can. 

We, without doubt, would have 1 of the top 4 goaltenders in the league if we make the playoffs. 

We also would have a top 8 defense in the playoffs, in my opinion.  Maybe even top 5. Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, etc.  In my opinion, we have the best-young defense in the league. 

If we get Perry and Eaves back, and our team is playing great going into the playoffs, I do not see any reason why our offense--loaded with veterans--cannot put up a fight and find success in the playoffs.  

Perry will be fresh and ready to go for the playoffs.  So will Eaves.  Just adding those 2 will make our team better, if they are a shell of their former selves.  If they both play of to their capabilities, adding them is adding two players that can play on our teams top 2 lines. 

We will see what happens. But if we make the playoffs, I feel we can do some damage. If Las Vegas can do what they did last year, without top-end talent, any team can have success in the playoffs if they are playing great.  

8 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I know some people do not think we can do damage in the playoffs, if we get in.  I may be one of the very who thinks we can. 

We, without doubt, would have 1 of the top 4 goaltenders in the league if we make the playoffs. 

We also would have a top 8 defense in the playoffs, in my opinion.  Maybe even top 5. Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, etc.  In my opinion, we have the best-young defense in the league. 

If we get Perry and Eaves back, and our team is playing great going into the playoffs, I do not see any reason why our offense--loaded with veterans--cannot put up a fight and find success in the playoffs.  

Perry will be fresh and ready to go for the playoffs.  So will Eaves.  Just adding those 2 will make our team better, if they are a shell of their former selves.  If they both play of to their capabilities, adding them is adding two players that can play on our teams top 2 lines. 

We will see what happens. But if we make the playoffs, I feel we can do some damage. If Las Vegas can do what they did last year, without top-end talent, any team can have success in the playoffs if they are playing great.  

I do believe that the post season is a new season and any team can be dangerous, yes. You can look at the 2012 Kings, too. 8th seed. Basically just had 1 or 2 goal scorers and a great goalie who got hot and good defense and one great centerman.

But those Kings were showing good defense during the regular season. We aren't. That's what bothers me the most. We have those great young D who are amazing. And we are so lucky to have. But right now they aren't showing any signs of being good. If THIS was the first season or 2 of any of those players...we'd all be like "well, that player's probably a bust." The only reason we're NOT *actually* throwing them under the bus is 'cause we know they can be better. But they aren't. Personally, I have no confidence in our new assistant, Wilford. I do believe we lose him and get someone better we'd see a big difference.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, absolutely. You never know. 

1 hour ago, nieder said:

That is my worry, too :\ Trading Miller for assets and play Chad more would help though :P 

28 minutes ago, duck123 said:

I don’t want to be mean here but Perry, Eaves and Kess are all broken. 

Even if Perry came back with a decent knee, he hasn’t played for so long he will be out of shape and that  new untrained knee will not hold up to rough PO criteria.

Kess is broken. Those hips are failing him and they won’t magically be fixed come PO time this season.

Eaves is Mr Glass if he were to return miraculously he would prob play 1 or 2 games before going back into injured reserve. Hes got some serious issues that we the public are not privy to. 

The D under RC has been a complete disaster all year. What were once high grade young studs are now duds. If RC hasn’t been able to utilize them properly at this point there is no way he turns them around for the POs. 

While Gibson is a great goalie this team has too many issues to overcome any series. Remember you can’t win games with pure goaltending, we need to score and defend as well

We can’t compare the Ducks to the Knights. Even if they have an average team with no elite D players they can do incredible damage because they have what we don’t  and that is belief in their system and moral support due to superb coaching. What Gallant has done for that team is nothing short but fantastic. 

15 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

I don’t want to be mean here but Perry, Eaves and Kess are all broken. 

Even if Perry came back with a decent knee, he hasn’t played for so long he will be out of shape and that  new untrained knee will not hold up to rough PO criteria.

Kess is broken. Those hips are failing him and they won’t magically be fixed come PO time this season.

Eaves is Mr Glass if he were to return miraculously he would prob play 1 or 2 games before going back into injured reserve. Hes got some serious issues that we the public are not privy to. 

The D under RC has been a complete disaster all year. What were once high grade young studs are now duds. If RC hasn’t been able to utilize them properly at this point there is no way he turns them around for the POs. 

While Gibson is a great goalie this team has too many issues to overcome any series. Remember you can’t win games with pure goaltending, we need to score and defend as well

We can’t compare the Ducks to the Knights. Even if they have an average team with no elite D players they can do incredible damage because they have what we don’t  and that is belief in their system and moral support due to superb coaching. What Gallant has done for that team is nothing short but fantastic. 

You don't know that. Could have said the very same thing about Selanne. He took even more time off than Perry.

5 hours ago, duck123 said:

The Ducks have now lost 12 games. But I honestly do not think they have played horrible. And the nice thing is that the Ducks are only 2 points behind the last Wild Card Playoff spot!

It's time for the Ducks to get a new winning streak, and get back to a playoff spot!  Aberg should be back in the lineup tomorrow night, and hopefully will be inspired to work hard every shift.  And hopefully he will add some offense and be an inspiration to his fellow Swedes.  

Plus, the Ducks will be playing against their old coach, in Coach Boudreau. Maybe that will give a few of the Ducks a little extra motivation to win. 

I say the Ducks win tomorrow night, and start a new winning streak. The Ducks are going to be getting players back from injury before the playoffs begin: Eaves, Perry, Kesler, and Silfverberg.  Once the Ducks are fully loaded, they will be tough to play against if they get into the playoffs.  

Time to get it done, and get a win tomorrow night!  Start a new winning streak!  Let's Go Ducks!!!!

Yeah here comes the Stanley Cup ! Carlyle's here, we'll do it ! Optimism like that. Not hating but I dont see us sweeping Lightning or anyone they yeah played okay but not the whole game.

2 hours ago, hoxxey said:

Does anyone really the ducks can beat the Wild in the next game?  Or New Jersey?  Seriously?  Positive thoughts are nice but reality rules.

Wild are a possible those high flying wings beat them 5-2 on Saturday.

25 minutes ago, dukitup said:

You don't know that. Could have said the very same thing about Selanne. He took even more time off than Perry.

So you are going to compare Teemu and Perry? .... um ... ok:blink: Teemu always relied on his speed hence The Flash so having his knee repaired got him back to skating like he was used to. Perry on the hand has never been a quick player. His skating in fact has always been unique and not quite as effective as other quicker skaters. Perry also made his bread and butter with getting up close and personal within the crease. I don’t see where the huge upgrade is going to be with a new knee. But you’re absolutely right in that I don’t know how he will be. But just like eveyone else predications on here mine is speculation just the same. 

But off the cuff I think the majority of knee surgies leave the player not quite at the same caliber level they were once at anyway so he is also against some odds as well. 

1 hour ago, duck123 said:

I'm sorry but it's just wrong to compare the Vegas team to the ducks.  Someone said they have a firm belief in their system - ducks have NO system.  Vegas is relentless pressure.  Ducks?  Forget that.  Vegas can score goals.  Goals equals wins.  It also creates pressure on the opponent to do better and take more chances.  I doubt any teams the ducks play right now are anxious about much.  They can enter the zone whenever they want knowing the most that will happen is someone will reach for them with their hockey stick.  They are not going to get "pasted" or hit.  That's a big issue.  Look at the 3rd goal the Red Wings scored last night.  That guy could have had a beverage before he shot the puck.  Same in the Pittsburgh game with Malkin...  Like I said, it's a pattern.  And it's not being addressed.  My guess is the coaching - head coach or assistant.  Can the lot of them.  Or at least, furlough them...

The mere notion of playoffs is just a pipe dream.  The only place the ducks are headed is down in the standings, not up.

5 hours ago, RobD360 said:

No it doesn’t. I actually hope it doesn’t. And if they do go on some “win” streak it will be a facade masked only by the heroics of Gibson. This team is FAR from being a true PO team. If they got lucky to crawl in they would again be trounced early on, and hard. Better to just tank the rest of the way and get the best draft pick we can. We need it. We can then look forward to a bright season next year with a new coach, couple of young studs synced back into the lineup and we ‘may’ even see a fresh resurgent Perry on a new knee as well. We might also see a new acquired pickup via trade in off-season. And lastly we would have had that higher draft pick too to boot. This season is done especially now that we all know RC is here till the end. Besides Too many positives to look forward to with next season. Sadly not this one  

Just stop playing Gibson so much and that will pretty much lock the Ducks in for a top-5 pick. Trading Silfverberg might not be an option now depending on how bad his injury is. So, the Ducks may not even have that going for them and lose him for nothing via free agency. This isn’t a playoff team at all. Gibson has been just very good instead of being spectacular and this is what happens and shouldn’t be a surprise. I’m already looking forward to lottery selection day!

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I do believe that the post season is a new season and any team can be dangerous, yes. You can look at the 2012 Kings, too. 8th seed. Basically just had 1 or 2 goal scorers and a great goalie who got hot and good defense and one great centerman.

But those Kings were showing good defense during the regular season. We aren't. That's what bothers me the most. We have those great young D who are amazing. And we are so lucky to have. But right now they aren't showing any signs of being good. If THIS was the first season or 2 of any of those players...we'd all be like "well, that player's probably a bust." The only reason we're NOT *actually* throwing them under the bus is 'cause we know they can be better. But they aren't. Personally, I have no confidence in our new assistant, Wilford. I do believe we lose him and get someone better we'd see a big difference.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, absolutely. You never know. 

Not a Kings fan at all but I really disagree about that 2012 team. They went on one of the most dominant playoff runs in recent history and had Kopitar, Carter, Richards and Stoll down the middle. Their defense is far superior to what the Ducks have now along with their coaching. Quick was solid and made timely saves but he wasn’t stealing games the way that Gibson would have to. I think that Murray tried to copy their style of play and didn’t adjust to where the league was heading. I mean, looks at us and the Kings now. We’ve seen enough of this Ducks team to know what they are and what they aren’t as presently constructed. They are becoming a laughing stock of the league and Murray seems content with just crossing his fingers and hoping that things magically turn around.

6 hours ago, duck123 said:

Is this part satire? The only reason this team isn't fighting with LA for last place is cause Gibson has been stealing points left and right for them. This team is rotten regardless of whoever is sitting out injured. 

6 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Is this part satire? The only reason this team isn't fighting with LA for last place is cause Gibson has been stealing points left and right for them. This team is rotten regardless of whoever is sitting out injured. 

It MUST be satire.

Especially the blackhawks being "loaded with talent" part...

16 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Just stop playing Gibson so much and that will pretty much lock the Ducks in for a top-5 pick. Trading Silfverberg might not be an option now depending on how bad his injury is. So, the Ducks may not even have that going for them and lose him for nothing via free agency. This isn’t a playoff team at all. Gibson has been just very good instead of being spectacular and this is what happens and shouldn’t be a surprise. I’m already looking forward to lottery selection day!

Not a Kings fan at all but I really disagree about that 2012 team. They went on one of the most dominant playoff runs in recent history and had Kopitar, Carter, Richards and Stoll down the middle. Their defense is far superior to what the Ducks have now along with their coaching. Quick was solid and made timely saves but he wasn’t stealing games the way that Gibson would have to. I think that Murray tried to copy their style of play and didn’t adjust to where the league was heading. I mean, looks at us and the Kings now. We’ve seen enough of this Ducks team to know what they are and what they aren’t as presently constructed. They are becoming a laughing stock of the league and Murray seems content with just crossing his fingers and hoping that things magically turn around.

Thats fair...I may be looking at that year through rose (orange) colored glasses lol ...but Quick did have like a crazy .949 sv% or something. Im  too lazy to look it up right now lol but thats also a result of a good system that worked for the team

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Teemu was a power skater and in top shape his entire career...Perry's strengths was never his skating or staying in shape.

16 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Thats fair...I may be looking at that year through rose (orange) colored glasses lol ...but Quick did have like a crazy .949 sv% or something. Im  too lazy to look it up right now lol but thats also a result of a good system that worked for the team

Yeah, the 2012 season was the one year when Quick actually lived up to all the hype about him. He was almost unbeatable in 2012. In 2014 he was average but the Kings system got them over the line.

29 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, that Kings team was so dominant defensively and Quick was good when he had to be. He wasn’t stealing the Kings games or a series during that run. Gibson would have be 2003 Giguere on steroids.

45 minutes ago, nieder said:

Yeah, the 2012 season was the one year when Quick actually lived up to all the hype about him. He was almost unbeatable in 2012. In 2014 he was average but the Kings system got them over the line.

It's almost like I'm morally obligated to drag the 2012 Kings whenever they come up on this forum cause I say this a lot. Still, that team had maybe the easiest path to a title in recent history. Yeah they took out the Presidents' Trophy winner as an 8th seed, but those Canucks were spiraling into emotional breakdown territory weeks before the playoffs started when Sedin was taken out. Following them up with the Blues, Coyotes & Devils? It would've been a shame if they didn't win. It's easy to forget how they were the sexy pick to win the Cup in the 2011 offseason seeing as how they almost threw that entire year away by December. Kudos to them on turning that season around though. The 2014 Kings had a faaar more impressive run.

40 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

It's almost like I'm morally obligated to drag the 2012 Kings whenever they come up on this forum cause I say this a lot. Still, that team had maybe the easiest path to a title in recent history. Yeah they took out the Presidents' Trophy winner as an 8th seed, but those Canucks were spiraling into emotional breakdown territory weeks before the playoffs started when Sedin was taken out. Following them up with the Blues, Coyotes & Devils? It would've been a shame if they didn't win. It's easy to forget how they were the sexy pick to win the Cup in the 2011 offseason seeing as how they almost threw that entire year away by December. Kudos to them on turning that season around though. The 2014 Kings had a faaar more impressive run.

From memory they were also completely healthy their entire run and ran into basically no adversity, unless you say starting on the road in every series is adversity. All of the calls, basically everything went their way. You need a lot of luck to win a Cup but the 2012 Kings must have sold their souls to the devil as they couldn't do anything wrong.

Who am I kidding, people in the Kings organization don't have souls.

16 minutes ago, Fisix said:

I guess we just need this guy:

kevin-bieksa-2018-4312.jpg

I know you're joking and we all truly don't think he would solve anything. I'm wondering if he was a leadership preseence to our younger D...and the thing Bob is asking for...for players to step up...is a result of losing him and Beauch. Also, again, I know we don't think he'll solve anything...but he was EPIC in the 2017 run when healthy.

2 hours ago, ducks07 said:

Teemu was a power skater and in top shape his entire career...Perry's strengths was never his skating or staying in shape.

Some people in Colorado may beg to differ. I think he was even healthy scratched for a playoff game.

19 minutes ago, nieder said:

From memory they were also completely healthy their entire run and ran into basically no adversity, unless you say starting on the road in every series is adversity. All of the calls, basically everything went their way. You need a lot of luck to win a Cup but the 2012 Kings must have sold their souls to the devil as they couldn't do anything wrong.

Who am I kidding, people in the Kings organization don't have souls.

Jersey Shore was also missing a Parise. Aruguably their best player.

38 minutes ago, poum said:

Some people in Colorado may beg to differ. I think he was even healthy scratched for a playoff game.

The Avs could have healthy scratched that entire 03-04 playoff team.